PDA

View Full Version : Do open cabinet doors drive you nuts?

JesterPester
September 3rd, 2007, 12:56pm
One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone leaves a cabinet door open. DH does this ALL THE TIME and it just drives me nuts.

Well, the landlord was over the other day and I mentioned to him that one of our cabinet doors is cracked. They are brand new custom made cabinets, so he wanted to return it. He came the next day and took the cabinet door.

The entire weekend, I have been reaching up where the cabinet is to close the door, but it isn't there. It's driving me nuts! :goofy2: :laugh: When I told DH the other day on the phone that the cabinet door is gone, he knew exactly why I was mentioning it. He laughed and said "That must be driving you nuts."

Am I just weird and compulsive, or would that drive you nuts too?

Marle
September 3rd, 2007, 12:58pm
Whenever I see the cabinet open I feel as if I have to close it. Someone might run into it.

TNrina
September 3rd, 2007, 1:00pm
YES!!!!! Almost as much as lights being left on in an empty room. :dontknow:

Globug_47
September 3rd, 2007, 1:00pm
You have no clue!!!

As an OCD sufferer, anything not put back the way it was found is liable to throw me into a panic.

Cabinet doors, shower curtains/doors, dresser drawers..... gawd.... the list is just too long! :cry2:

bonosun73
September 3rd, 2007, 1:01pm
Yes! My whole family makes fun of me, and they will leave them cracked open just to drive me crazy! Drawers too - I hate them being left open :goofy3:

LawgirlK
September 3rd, 2007, 1:03pm
yes...drives me batty!

jofo3511
It drives me insane!!!!

time2travel
Ha! I'm not the only one. Although I am the farthest thing from a neat freak, open cupboard doors make me crazy. I think it is mostly because I'm tall, and it feels like I am going to get popped in the eye or the head walking by. And also because it just looks so "not right" when I walk in the room. I IMMEDIATELY close any open door when I see it - very loudly if my husband left it open...LOL!

covergerl
September 3rd, 2007, 1:04pm
Yes, it does, as do closet doors, open drawers too

JesterPester
September 3rd, 2007, 1:07pm
You have no clue!!!

As an OCD sufferer, anything not put back the way it was found is liable to throw me into a panic.

Cabinet doors, shower curtains/doors, dresser drawers..... gawd.... the list is just too long! :cry2:
lol, maybe I am just in denial. All those things make me crazy! If something is not in it's "place" I almost twitch!

The shower curtain especially. I have lived in this apartment for almost 3 months now and I am on my 4th shower curtain in the guest bathroom because the others just didn't feel "right". Didn't fall the way I wanted them too. Finally found one I can live with.

bcaps10
September 3rd, 2007, 1:07pm
A great big 'yes' to that! As well as closet doors, drawers, the toilet seat up, and the night lights left on.

jesmommy
September 3rd, 2007, 1:12pm
I guess it doesn't bother me since I'm the one always leaving them all open, lol.

ndbrit
September 3rd, 2007, 1:14pm
I keep telling my DDs---You know things that open also close! Light switches arent just 'On switches' ....Drives me nuts!!

bewitched
September 3rd, 2007, 1:20pm
It never did until I had a roommate in college who would FREAK when she noticed an open cabinet door. She was a sweetheart the rest of the time so I did my best to keep them closed. The habit has stuck with me and now if I notice a door open I have to close it, even if it doesn't bother me. Does that even make sense? :laugh:

Gmaw
September 3rd, 2007, 1:22pm
OMG!!!! My DS will open every cabinet door in the kitchen, every time he goes in there. Even if he doesn't use anything. It drives me bananas!!!!!! In his room, after he leaves for school, I go in to close every dresser drawer. He will leave all of them open. Every day. :frown4:
When I read the thread title to my DH he got a good laugh. :encore: We discuss this regularly.

TNrina
September 3rd, 2007, 1:22pm
You have no clue!!!

:cry2:

I guess I will just have to get one......

Globug_47
September 3rd, 2007, 1:25pm
lol, maybe I am just in denial. All those things make me crazy! If something is not in it's "place" I almost twitch!

The shower curtain especially. I have lived in this apartment for almost 3 months now and I am on my 4th shower curtain in the guest bathroom because the others just didn't feel "right". Didn't fall the way I wanted them too. Finally found one I can live with.

Are you my long, lost twin??????

You sound just like me! I went through 3 shower curtains in the guest bathroom!

I just got done handwashing all my wine glasses (I have about 40 of them.....I collect them) because they didn't have that *sparkle* to them. I seem to do this every other day it seems :frown4:

My day (and life) is made up of routines. Stray from it and I'm in a world of trouble here! :shocked4:

Scibba
September 3rd, 2007, 1:29pm
Yes, and my DH does it ALL THE TIME! I don't understand how a person can open a door and not close it again?!? I must tell him about 3-4 times a day to close the cupboard door!

JesterPester
September 3rd, 2007, 1:29pm
Are you my long, lost twin??????

You sound just like me! I went through 3 shower curtains in the guest bathroom!

I just got done handwashing all my wine glasses (I have about 40 of them.....I collect them) because they didn't have that *sparkle* to them. I seem to do this every other day it seems :frown4:

My day (and life) is made up of routines. Stray from it and I'm in a world of trouble here! :shocked4:
Lol, maybe we are. Do you iron your sheets too?

My mom called me the other afternoon and asked me what I was doing. I told her I was ironing my sheets. She cracked up and asked me why. She thought that was sooooo weird! I hate to have any sort of wrinkle in my sheets, so I iron them and use a nice lavender starch I found.

Globug_47
September 3rd, 2007, 1:39pm
Lol, maybe we are. Do you iron your sheets too?

My mom called me the other afternoon and asked me what I was doing. I told her I was ironing my sheets. She cracked up and asked me why. She thought that was sooooo weird! I hate to have any sort of wrinkle in my sheets, so I iron them and use a nice lavender starch I found.

Hell yes... I iron my sheets!!! Doesn't everyone???? :dontknow:

My daughter cracks up at me because I iron t-shirts and even my pajamas. I don't know what's funny about that???? :shocked4: I just don't want me (or anyone in my family) to leave my house looking all "wrinkly". Lord help me.... if they were ever in an accident and had to be taken to the hospital, I'd hate for someone to say:

"It's no biggie cutting off that shirt and pants. They couldn't even bother to iron them!" :cry:

Crazy, I know...... :smile3:

packerfan
September 3rd, 2007, 1:41pm
I guess it doesn't bother me since I'm the one always leaving them all open, lol.

Me to, and I am also getting " Guess where Mom has been"

Taminar
September 3rd, 2007, 1:43pm
Doesn't bother me.

swankygirl
September 3rd, 2007, 1:46pm
Oh, you would hate me, JesterPester! I leave the cabinet doors open all the time - and the drawers, too! It drives my husband nuts!! :encore:

nicolehrb
September 3rd, 2007, 1:51pm
Yes my bf and daughter leave them open all the time and I have to go shut them. I'm short enough that I dont have to worry about hitting my head on them, so I dont know why it drives me nuts

JesterPester
September 3rd, 2007, 1:51pm
Oh, you would hate me, JesterPester! I leave the cabinet doors open all the time - and the drawers, too! It drives my husband nuts!! :encore:

Nah, wouldn't hate you, just couldn't live with you... rofl. To each his own.

FreakDuJour
September 3rd, 2007, 1:53pm
yes!! :shocked4:

flowerczar
September 3rd, 2007, 1:55pm
The thought of an open cabinet door upsets me. :laugh2:

kbsocial
September 3rd, 2007, 1:57pm
Ha! I'm not the only one. Although I am the farthest thing from a neat freak, open cupboard doors make me crazy. I think it is mostly because I'm tall, and it feels like I am going to get popped in the eye or the head walking by.

Me too! Open cupboards, drawers, etc:laugh: At work I find myself closing the keypad to the alarm system too.

Ironing sheets? Y'all have LOST it!! :goofy2:

meeeee
September 3rd, 2007, 1:59pm
I have to shut them too it is a neat area thing

JesterPester
September 3rd, 2007, 2:00pm
Ironing sheets? Y'all have LOST it!! :goofy2:
You haven't figured that out yet??? :laugh:

lingling
September 3rd, 2007, 2:02pm
I can't stand to have cabinet doors open. Constantly going behind others that leave them open and closing the doors!

rewcatherine
September 3rd, 2007, 2:05pm
My dh leaves the doors to the cabinets open all the time and we have a small house so I can usually see that he has and I have to get up and close it again drives me crazy. A shelf in one of our pantry cabinet has slanted, (a very easy fix) and so I've emptied the shelf and pointed out that he should fix it, well every time he puts anything away he puts it right on that shelf go finure :dontknow:

PanamaKay
September 3rd, 2007, 2:15pm
Nope. I leave em open all the time. Why get upset over something so trivial? I have more traumatic issues to freak out about. I feel for you if you get upset over this. Hope you can cope with life's bigger issues. :frown4: :encore:

JesterPester
September 3rd, 2007, 2:21pm
Nope. I leave em open all the time. Why get upset over something so trivial? I have more traumatic issues to freak out about. I feel for you if you get upset over this. Hope you can cope with life's bigger issues. :frown4: :encore:
Wow...
Not upset, not freaking out... just don't like it. And I can handle anything thrown my way... thank you. :rolleyes2

CrazyCatLady
September 3rd, 2007, 2:29pm
It only bothers me when I realize I've left every cabinet door open. Then I'll go close them. Just now, I walked into the kitchen, 4 doors & 1 drawer are open. And I walked right back out without closing them. I also have the tendency to leave the microwave door open. But the light tends to bug me so I'm better about closing the microwave.

chancebunny
September 3rd, 2007, 2:33pm
My husband leaves cabinet doors open, which irritates me. One day I know that I'm going to smack into one when I'm not paying attention, then I'll have to smack into him.

willwin1day
September 3rd, 2007, 2:33pm
I get distracted easily and sometimes am bad about leaving a cabinet door or two open. its really bad when it is the one over the trash can and my husband (not really paying attention) goes to take the bag out and hits his head on the corner. :frown3: why or why do i keep doing that? Its like I don't even see it!!! :dontknow:

flbeachbum
September 3rd, 2007, 2:44pm
My hub says I have "issues" over closure, since I can't close anything!! I'm looking into the kitchen and my pantry is open, the dishwasher is open a little, there are 2 cabinets and a few drawers not completely shut! Sheesh! I guess I should go close them!
I also have trouble closing lids on spices, milk, etc.
When I go to Cali to visit B.F., she calls me the "Poltergiest".

RockysJewel
September 3rd, 2007, 2:50pm
I am the exact way. Irritates me so much. How hard is it to grab something and close the door?

I bet you can't wait until that door is back!

Looks like hubby knows you very well LOL

tamiwami
September 3rd, 2007, 2:53pm
It's my MAIN obsession. I have some other quirks, but having to close a drawer, cupboard door or closet is something that I am compulsive about. People laugh at me. :dontknow:

mrsmaxsmart
September 3rd, 2007, 3:05pm
If they did, I would quit leaving them open :smile3:

lunarstar
September 3rd, 2007, 3:19pm
Its an old wives tale that if your cabinet doors are open someone is talking about you!

Dawn2
September 3rd, 2007, 3:22pm
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!

brushes
September 3rd, 2007, 3:28pm
If I keep the snacks in the cupboard by the fridge WHY do you have to open every cabinet door in the kitchen and not close them? :shocked4: Good Golly Molly, they drive me nuts here,.l Now you can understand my temperment at times. :frown7:
There are 9 people in this house and you would think at least one of them could close a cabinet door, but NOOOOOO leave them all open and she'll close em. These type of things get on my last nerve.

saphyress
September 3rd, 2007, 3:47pm
Well yes, because I would be the one not paying attention and walk into it :)

Defenderofthefaith
September 3rd, 2007, 3:49pm
Yes, open cabinet doors DO drive me nuts!

nataliero
September 3rd, 2007, 3:59pm
that would drive me nuts. DH doesnt do that thank God.

cranepuffin
September 3rd, 2007, 4:04pm
I follow my husband around and close doors and pick up things after him. I'm positive that it drives him nuts! :encore:

lemons
September 3rd, 2007, 4:09pm
LOL When we go to DH grandmother's hers are like just cracked opened a bit but 1st thing I do is close them. Then I have to do it again before we leave (entrance in/out of the home is threw the kitchen). One time she asked if it bothered me that much, I said YES VERY much. (OCD suffer as well). :smile3:

stargazer
September 3rd, 2007, 4:25pm
YES! It drives me nuts to see an open cabinet, drawer, etc! thought i was the only one - glad I'm in good company here!

TeaAddict
September 3rd, 2007, 4:29pm
Yes. Anything that is left open that should be closed when not using drives me bonkers. This includes lights left on when noone is using the room.

VALENTINE
September 3rd, 2007, 4:34pm
Yes.
DH has his wardrobe so stuffed that one side door is just a little bit not closed....I try to close it but the next time I walk by it is still gapped ever so slightly...for some reason it's the tiny gap that is most annoying.

missesprincess
September 3rd, 2007, 4:37pm
Soooo glad that I am not alone! I recently acquired a roommate and he was driving me plum mad I tell you....what is so difficult about closing the cabinet after you open it.

Globug_47
September 3rd, 2007, 4:41pm

Having OCD..... I have no option but to get upset when things are out of whack in my world.

I certainly didn't ask to be this way and I certainly am not thrilled that I have to live this way.

It is a physcological and medical condition.

I'm so glad that you are not inflicted with this disorder. It's a curse that I would not wish on my worst enemy. But if they did have it...... I would at least have the common decency to have some understanding and compassion for them. :frown4:

luckylu
September 3rd, 2007, 5:09pm
I follow my husband around and close doors and pick up things after him. I'm positive that it drives him nuts! :encore:

Mine complains I drive him nuts by shutting doors, turning off lights and generally following him around picking up behind him. He can't see why I have a problem with it. Oh yea - he thinks I have a bad attitude too. :nokiss:

luckylady1744
September 3rd, 2007, 5:10pm

Ditto! I love to drive DH and DS nuts with this. Our mirrored medicine chest in the bathroom really freaks DS out cause when he looks in the bathroom when one door is open, he sees himself and thinks someone is in there already LOL! :shocked4:

lilac100
September 3rd, 2007, 9:03pm
OMG My house can be spotless but if a cabinet door is open I think it looks really really messy and dirty. I have to immediatly shut the cabinets

cyt
September 3rd, 2007, 9:08pm
YES....especially when I bang my head on one!!!! :cry:

CrazyPants
September 3rd, 2007, 9:11pm
Doesn't bother me. Unless I hit my head on it, then I'm mad.

tupik3702
September 3rd, 2007, 9:12pm
Maybe if you cut out a piece of cardboard, spray paint it the same color and tape it over the opening, you might be able to get some relief!!! :smile3: :smile3: :smile3:

annulla
September 3rd, 2007, 10:15pm
Nope.

clallen1971
September 3rd, 2007, 10:29pm
it drives me nuts too but what's worse for me is having a light on in a an empty room. that makes me insane!!!