PDA

View Full Version : What does jasmine rice taste like?

Miki
August 30th, 2007, 9:54pm
I have a coupon for cents off a bag of rice. On that coupon it mentions Jasmine rice. What does that taste like? Is it healthy?

Mcnerd
August 30th, 2007, 10:34pm
Good quality jasmine rice, when properly steamed, retains a wonderful fragrant aroma and delicious chewy texture. Many people will not use any other kind of rice once they have had Jasmine Rice.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether you will love it or not. Just make sure it is prepared according to directions so it doesn't lose its aroma.

ellabean
August 30th, 2007, 10:43pm
Jasmine rice smells heavenly but has a subtle flavor - don't use as much water as you would for regular white or brown rice (the directions should tell you this). This way the rice is "steamed" rather than "boiled." It's also not as sticky as white rice.

Meadow
August 30th, 2007, 10:47pm
I love Jasmine rice - the flavor is hard to describe however. It smells wonderful too!

aila
August 30th, 2007, 11:07pm
if you're near a thai restaurant go in and order a meal; it is always served with jasmine rice..... this is where i found out about it and it is delicious.

Janet
August 30th, 2007, 11:13pm
Jasmine rice is my favorite.

I love the aroma and the fact that it does not get sticky.

It is long grain and has a subtle almost nutty flavor.

Brown rice is the one to buy for health.

It is hard to find but I have seen brown Jasmine rice.

SharDan01
August 30th, 2007, 11:20pm
I like Jasmine rice - that's what they serve at Thai restaurants. It's a very light aroma - not too strong like Jasmine tea (which I also like). Does the coupon mention basmati rice? That's rice from Indian restaurants and is also great - I don't think that one has an aroma but it has a slightly nutty flavor.

Mcnerd
August 30th, 2007, 11:23pm
It is hard to find but I have seen brown Jasmine rice.Now that is something I'm going to have to look for.

bribella
August 30th, 2007, 11:55pm
I love jasmine rice and honestly after having eaten jasmine rice for some time now..plain white rice tastes nasty to me now.

Miki
August 31st, 2007, 12:01am
Thank you everyone. I have only had thai noodles and that was in California. We don't have exotic places here, unless you count the chinese restaraunts but, the one I tried was terrible.

I think I will try it. Janir, I have a box of brown rice, I haven't made it because, I don't know what to use it with yet.

This sounds really good.

asil
August 31st, 2007, 1:44am
Just a quick note Miki...I recommend fluffing the rice with a fork every few minutes while it is asborbing the liquid. The first time I made it I used a spoon...I know, I know, BIG mistake. It lumped together and became gummy mess. Anyway, I'm sure you will just love it ! I serve it a few times a month as a side dish or in a casserole. :chef:

Ravin
August 31st, 2007, 1:45am
I really love Jamine rice. The last time I made some to me it smelled like popcorn. LOL, but maybe I was just hungry for popcorn. It doesn't stick like normal rice and seems to hold its shape.

It takes a bit longer to cook them say minute rice. But, I really like it a lot better. I normally buy Goya Thai Jasmine rice in 5 pound bags. But, I make rice normally 3 or 4 times a week.

RockysJewel
August 31st, 2007, 2:45am
I love it. I don't think it tastes JAsminy at all really. I have some in my cupboard along with about 4 other types. We eat rice several times a week so I like to mix it up. Have you tried Tumeric Rice? Or it is also called Yellow Rice. Tasty. I learned of it while in Indonesia. It is easy to make and good!

RockysJewel
August 31st, 2007, 2:47am
I haven't eaten minute rice in about 25 years. I can't tolerate it after eating delicious fresh made steamed rice. You eat lots of rice too like we do. I love it. It is so versatile. Hubby loves it for a snack with cinnamon and sugar. But not often!

I really love Jamine rice. The last time I made some to me it smelled like popcorn. LOL, but maybe I was just hungry for popcorn. It doesn't stick like normal rice and seems to hold its shape.

It takes a bit longer to cook them say minute rice. But, I really like it a lot better. I normally buy Goya Thai Jasmine rice in 5 pound bags. But, I make rice normally 3 or 4 times a week.

Ravin
August 31st, 2007, 2:58am
I haven't eaten minute rice in about 25 years. I can't tolerate it after eating delicious fresh made steamed rice. You eat lots of rice too like we do. I love it. It is so versatile. Hubby loves it for a snack with cinnamon and sugar. But not often!

There is a huge difference in minute rice and steamed rice. But, I keep a large box of minute rice and minute rice brown rice, because I make our dogs food. But, the texture, appearance, taste and smell or totally different and huge a difference.

Cinnamon rice and raisins is really good, I make that for my parrots too. But, I love rice with cinnamon and sugar. I remember having that as a kid too.

RockysJewel
August 31st, 2007, 2:59am
My dog LOVEs rice and also sweet potatoes. I let him eat same food as us. I mean the healthy stuff. Vet said the sweet potatoes especailly are really good for him

There is a huge difference in minute rice and steamed rice. But, I keep a large box of minute rice and minute rice brown rice, because I make our dogs food. But, the texture, appearance, taste and smell or totally different and huge a difference.

Cinnamon rice and raisins is really good, I make that for my parrots too. But, I love rice with cinnamon and sugar. I remember having that as a kid too.

Miki
August 31st, 2007, 3:41am
I am not a big fan of white rice, I eat it once in awhile. I am ashamed to admit that I cannot steam fresh white rice to save my life without it turning out nasty. I make a lot of flavored rice sides. Dh will only eat steamed white rice when we have chinese, I LOVE fried rice :yum: I miss good chinese food.

I received a wok set today in the mail, I want to see what types of dishes I could create using it. I haven't tried making homemade chinese food. The set came with the pan, 4 bowls, 1 wooden spoon, 1 wooden spatula and 4 pairs of chopsticks. I wish it came with a recipe booklet.

I need to get to bed in a minute, already 2:40am and I have to get up in a couple hours lol.

ironbutterfly
August 31st, 2007, 7:13am
Good quality jasmine rice, when properly steamed, retains a wonderful fragrant aroma and delicious chewy texture. Many people will not use any other kind of rice once they have had Jasmine Rice.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether you will love it or not. Just make sure it is prepared according to directions so it doesn't lose its aroma.

I cook mine in a saucepan with a dash of sesame oil :loveu: It is the only white rice I buy Miki :yesyes:

I grew up on a minute rice, this tastes so much better. Almost a nutty roasted taste, you'll love it :cheer2:

Ravin
August 31st, 2007, 10:16am
My dog LOVEs rice and also sweet potatoes. I let him eat same food as us. I mean the healthy stuff. Vet said the sweet potatoes especailly are really good for him

I will have to try sweet potota's. I do mix in some vegatables. But, I have tried getting him to eat other food, mainly the wellness brand dog food, our cats love it. Almost every variety of thier food has sweet potato's in it.

He is so rotten though, he knows there is normally a bowl of rice in the fridge and some of his food. So he rarely will even try any food other then his rice mixutes.

ups91
August 31st, 2007, 12:09pm
I love it. I don't think it tastes JAsminy at all really. I have some in my cupboard along with about 4 other types. We eat rice several times a week so I like to mix it up. Have you tried Tumeric Rice? Or it is also called Yellow Rice. Tasty. I learned of it while in Indonesia. It is easy to make and good!

I have bought Saffron rice, but not Tumeric. The SR is yellow also and is in a small packet near the other rice in the grocery. I use it in a recipe my aunt makes called Chicken Bog.

Miki
August 31st, 2007, 3:55pm
You are all making me hungry for rice now, lol. I might have to make some tonight. Let's see, currently I have on hand-
Brown rice
White rice (minute, lol)
Chicken rice
Red beans and rice
Beef rice
Long grain/wild rice
yellow rice

Hmmmmmm, oh shoot! I forgot to take out a meat for tonight. Gotta do that now. Hope it thaws in time.

TinkerbellG
August 31st, 2007, 4:16pm
I make it everyday but I make it in a rice cooker