PDA

View Full Version : Publishers Clearing House

elittle2004
July 11th, 2007, 2:06am
Are the Publishers Clearing House (PCH) sweepstakes legitimate? Or is it just a ploy to buy magazines? I've heard stories years ago how some people sued PCH.

pehlivanin
July 11th, 2007, 2:36am
Well I just started sweeping pretty recently (yaaay for me :clap: ) and a PCH's $1 million sweep was the first thing I came across... and I entered it. Two-three weeks later I got a call from them... "We've entered you in the contest for 1 mil and you also have won a subscription for some magazines at 1/4 of the price." She tried to get me to sign up for some stupid mags that I didn't even want. When I said I don't want it, she said "Then we'll give it to someone else" and hung up on me. And their sweeps goes for like forever... until 2008 or something.

My sentence: Guilty! They are fake! :)

crystalsea
July 11th, 2007, 11:18am
Well, I can say I had thought the same thing, I'm a fairly new sweeper too. I started checking around about PCH sweepstakes on the internet and read a story on a newstation website about an elderly couple in Sparta, TN who won $10,000,000 from PCH in the last year and it was legit, it was a newstation in TN reporting on the win, so I would assume it was a legit win, and the details of the story seemed to authenticate everything.
But I was like you and even posted the same kind of question on here not too long ago. Needless to say, just in case, I enter the PCH sweepstakes now, lol

jdhj2
July 11th, 2007, 12:19pm
Didnt win the big one but I did win a watch a long time ago.
If they werent legit the U>S Government would be all over them.
Like a few years back when they misled so many Senior Citizens that they had to buy magazines to win.
Its legit but hard as heck to win.

robsterclaw
July 11th, 2007, 1:15pm
Well I just started sweeping pretty recently (yaaay for me :clap: ) and a PCH's $1 million sweep was the first thing I came across... and I entered it. Two-three weeks later I got a call from them... "We've entered you in the contest for 1 mil and you also have won a subscription for some magazines at 1/4 of the price." She tried to get me to sign up for some stupid mags that I didn't even want. When I said I don't want it, she said "Then we'll give it to someone else" and hung up on me. And their sweeps goes for like forever... until 2008 or something.

They are not fake. They have been around for decades. They run their sweeps to call attention to the products they sell. Which are mostly magazines, but they do other goods too. They just get millions of entries every year, so the odds of winning any of them are very slim.
They also run Blingo so the best chance of ever winning anything from them are by using the Blingo search.

They were sued and in trouble with the government many many years ago when it was discovered one of their employees threw away some of the entries that did not include an order. He/she (can't remember) was too lazy to work that bag of mail.

bjdotson
July 11th, 2007, 1:23pm
Well, I can say I had thought the same thing, I'm a fairly new sweeper too. I started checking around about PCH sweepstakes on the internet and read a story on a newstation website about an elderly couple in Sparta, TN who won $10,000,000 from PCH in the last year and it was legit, it was a newstation in TN reporting on the win, so I would assume it was a legit win, and the details of the story seemed to authenticate everything.
But I was like you and even posted the same kind of question on here not too long ago. Needless to say, just in case, I enter the PCH sweepstakes now, lol

This was NOT PCH, it was american Family publishers. They were awfull Because of their marketing several new laws (which impacted PCH also) were passed across the country. American Family Publishers by the way were the once with Ed McMahon.

suelee000
July 11th, 2007, 1:28pm
They were the first company that I started entering online sweepstakes for. I have been entering online since 1994 and haven't won anything yet.

They get millions and millions of entries every year, but I still enter every day, just in case.

Lvrofbooks
July 11th, 2007, 2:25pm
I was entering them for a while, but it seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere. I've never won anything & I figure the odds are better to enter the smaller sweeps!

nettester
July 11th, 2007, 2:43pm
Legit or not, when I did enter years ago, I just got more and more and more email and snail mail. Seems like one is never done "entering" for them. I don't enter them anymore. Too many more good sweeps that don't email me to death.

bbguard
July 11th, 2007, 2:51pm
My grandmother - bingo queen and lottery player extraordinare - has been running this 'scam' on PCH for years. She firmly believes that unless you buy magazines from them, they never enter you in the contest. So every year, when her package arrives in the mail, she faithfully fills it out and then proceeds to use a small piece of colored paper to have something showing through the little windows on the envelope to 'trick' them into thinking she ordered something. She has never won anything from them.

So, do I think they really want to get your magazine money, yeap. If you want to enter this sweep without the headache of phone calls, I think you should wait for you package and enter via mail (don't forget your colored pieces of paper to trick them!).

sallykay
July 11th, 2007, 2:53pm

Oh man. I doubt it was them calling you. I've been a customer for over 25 years, and I have never had them call me one time. Also, I've never won anything from them, but they are not fake.

Nubbs820
July 11th, 2007, 2:55pm
I swear someone one OLS won something from PCH last year. Or maybe a family member of OLS but I do remember reading about it.

Edit: PCH is not fake. If they were they wouldn't still be around. They are like any other sweepstakes as far as promoting their products, just they've been around forever and there's a zillion people who enter PCH as say compared to The Celebrity Cafe. People win on Iwon too and I swore they were fake. I still get my 100 points a day just because you never know. I do the snail PCH because they do tend to send a lot of email to me. I know others who don't have the problem. I get at least one entry in one way or another. Oh yeah, blingo now gives you entries into PCH sweeps but I haven't been slammed with spam from them changing over.

Bottom line, if you don't feel comfortable entering, don't. There's a trillion sweeps in the world and to skip over ones you don't feel comfortable with, there's others that you are comfortable entering.

luvminis
July 11th, 2007, 3:02pm
Sonetime last year a sweeper on ols posted that they won a 1,000 from them and now they are a believer. My grandmother also won a bunch of miscellaneous prizes about 10 yrs ago from them too, just showed up at her door, so I think they are legit. Good luck.

wintermom29
July 11th, 2007, 3:25pm
Nope PCH Is very legit, Someone on here won last year check here :smile8:

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526239&highlight=pch

chestnutfall
July 11th, 2007, 3:31pm
Here is the cut and paste plus the link from the gal who won from PCH

I actually won $5.00 from or afp about 25 years ago.
We had an elderly couple win multi millions from them about a year ago.
I was on my way home and wondered what all the hoopla was going on
at the florist. It was the media and the pch van buying red roses. Too
bad they didn't come to my house.
I have also never rec'd a phone call from them. Just emails.

Won $1000 from... yep, Publishers Clearing House! sweeper name gngrbrdmnt

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526239&highlight=pch

Yep, just got my first "Affy," and it's from PCH!

Feb 28th, this-coming Wednesday, they'll be awarding one of their coveted $10 million SuperPrizes. And I just got a letter telling me that I am on a list of 210 people, 209 of whom will receive $1,000, and one will receive the $10 million!!!!

The letter was delivered last night (Friday) around 5:00 via UPS Express. It's now Saturday morning, and needless to say, I didn't sleep much last night, and I don't care! I got up this morning and had to look again at the letter sitting on my dining room table and pinch myself to know it really did happen!

I've been sweeping on and off for decades now, and the biggest prize I'd won before was a computer, which was great... but otherwise, it's been song downloads, a couple of nice gift baskets, a $100 gift card, $20 here and there... now I've won $1,000 and am on a "short list" to possibly win $10 million! OMG, I'm in shock! I know I shouldn't get my hopes up -- 210 people doesn't give me the greatest odds. But it's sure a whole lot better than their general estimated odds of 1 in 330,000,000!

I won't be leaving my house Wednesday, just in case my new best friends the Prize Patrol are showing up... even if they don't, hey, a $1,000 win sure feels great!!!

Happy sweeping.

bnit2winit
July 12th, 2007, 4:30am
My grandmother - bingo queen and lottery player extraordinare - has been running this 'scam' on PCH for years. She firmly believes that unless you buy magazines from them, they never enter you in the contest. So every year, when her package arrives in the mail, she faithfully fills it out and then proceeds to use a small piece of colored paper to have something showing through the little windows on the envelope to 'trick' them into thinking she ordered something. She has never won anything from them.

So, do I think they really want to get your magazine money, yeap. If you want to enter this sweep without the headache of phone calls, I think you should wait for you package and enter via mail (don't forget your colored pieces of paper to trick them!).

This is just too funny. :rofl2: I must have laughed for fifteen minutes straight trying to tell my cousin about this. I can't stop laughing!

It's so funny because there's at least one ( "bingo queen and lottery player extraordinare" ) in every family. :wavy:

LastLaugh
July 12th, 2007, 8:20am
PCH is legitimate but the odds of winning are very low. They have been fined in the past for deceptive practices, but seem to be keeping within govermental guidelines now.

theladyluck
July 12th, 2007, 8:41am
My father won a "collectible bicentennial medallion" (value probably something approaching zero) from PCH, and my DH won $10 from them once umpteen years ago. We didn't even know they gave any $10 prizes till he got the letter and the check.

elittle2004
July 12th, 2007, 11:30pm
I know the odds of winning the $10 million PCH sweep is about 500 million to one. Considering the Powerball is "only" about 170 million to one, that is why I usually avoid the PCH sweeps (and because they send a lot of spam).

pehlivanin
July 14th, 2007, 3:48am
I see. I actually saw a banner yesterday about their $10 mil. sweep to be broadcasted on NBC.

Stephen
July 14th, 2007, 4:17am
Published Clearing House bought Blingo.

I won $2,500 from Blingo, and the check said Publishers Clearing House.

So yep, they're legit.

As for the contests, my neighbours co-worker won a million from Publishers Clearing house several years ago - so PCH itself is real.

Stephen

Lissie
July 14th, 2007, 4:17am
I got a letter today that said someone with my inicials, in my tv viewing area, was guaranteed to be a winner. Now, I'm a bit weary of the PCH sweeps stuff, but I was like wow! With MY inicials! How cool is that!

:cheer3:

Then, I saw that both of my parents got the same letter saying that someone with their inicials in our viewing area was going to win a prize.

:eek:

Anyone else get a letter? :laugh:

Stephen
July 14th, 2007, 4:19am
Yep... Sure did.

The "prize" is more publishers clearing house junk mail to shred.

I got a letter today that said someone with my inicials, in my tv viewing area, was guaranteed to be a winner. Now, I'm a bit weary of the PCH sweeps stuff, but I was like wow! With MY inicials! How cool is that!

:cheer3:

Then, I saw that both of my parents got the same letter saying that someone with their inicials in our viewing area was going to win a prize.

:eek:

Anyone else get a letter? :laugh:

elittle2004
July 16th, 2007, 1:28am
The odds of winning the PCH $10 million sweep has gone up again. It says in the rules that the odds are 500 million to 1. In my Sunday newspaper (yesterday) there was a PCH sweepstakes entry form to fill out (for the $10 million)---the odds of winning are now up to 505 million to 1. I don't see how PCH can add a additional 5 million to the odds of winning. I don't like how some sweeps can set the odds of winning before and while the sweep takes places. That is why the vast majority of sweeps say that the odds of winning depend on how many eligible entries recieved. The most entries I've ever heard being submitted to win a sweep is 30 million (the prize was a house).

jesslag
August 31st, 2007, 9:00pm
I saw on the news tonight that The Prize Patrol is in Pittsburgh!! :dance: :dance: :dance: I can't find the link on the internet though... I'd poop my pants twice and die if they came to my house. I didn't know they were due to hand out some checks...