PDA

View Full Version : St.Judes & Soda can tabs

Miki
June 29th, 2007, 5:49pm
Is it true that if you send in a certain amount of the soda can tabs a child will receive a free cancer treatment? At a local country store they are saving them. If it is true I am going to save every tab I can find.

TIA

annulla
June 29th, 2007, 6:15pm
No.

According to The Straight Dope, similar "rumors have been floating around at least since the 1950s and probably earlier."

The most peristsent rumor isn't about cancer treatments; it is the widely-spread belief that people can collect pull tabs to exchange for kidney dialysis.

The Straight Dope says, "Today if you walk into a Reynolds Aluminum recycling center with a pile of pull tabs and say they're for "kidney dialysis," the staff will nod knowingly, exchange winks, and send a donation equal to the salvage value of the aluminum to the National Kidney Foundation.

"However, the donation will not pay for dialysis, because there's no need. Medicare picks up 80 percent of the cost of dialysis and state programs or private insurance typically cover the rest. Instead, the donation goes to kidney research, education/prevention programs, and patient services.

"So saving pull tabs isn't a complete waste of time. But let's make one thing clear: there's nothing special about pull tabs. You'd save yourself a heap o' trouble and make a lot more money if you recycled the whole can."

PS: I quoted from The Straight Dope in case anybody is tired of hearing from Snopes, but of course, they have an article about this, too: http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

Madariah
June 29th, 2007, 6:26pm
The Ronald McDonald house actually has little collection houses that they provide to collect your pop tops. When your container is full you send it to a local chapter and they get donations toward providing services for sick children and their families. We do this at my work place and fill up those little houses pretty quick. :highfive:

Miki
June 29th, 2007, 6:26pm
Thank you Annulla, I wonder how the store would react if I told this this...

That is a bummer, I was hoping it was true.

Miki
June 29th, 2007, 6:28pm
The Ronald McDonald house actually has little collection houses that they provide to collect your pop tops. When your container is full you send it to a local chapter and they get donations toward providing services for sick children and their families. We do this at my work place and fill up those little houses pretty quick. :highfive:

Can you please pm me more info that way I could pass this on and try to help also? I would have stayed in the Ronald McDonald house before but, they were full so I stayed in the hospital lobby and hotels for 2 months when my daughter was in Los Angeles before she passed. I would really like to be able to help out somehow.

1bmore
June 29th, 2007, 6:29pm
To the best of my knowledge, it is true that St. Jude's in Memphis does this. I have heard that the exchange rate is .10 per tab collected. Last year, the DH's office collected for a specific person in need and we save them for general donations all time. :smile8:

Miki
June 29th, 2007, 6:35pm
To the best of my knowledge, it is true that St. Jude's in Memphis does this. I have heard that the exchange rate is .10 per tab collected. Last year, the DH's office collected for a specific person in need and we save them for general donations all time. :smile8:

That is where the store would be sending them, in Memphis because, we live an hour from there. Is there any way to find out for sure? I am not sure who to contact. I have only about 10 tabs but, I am sure I could get more.

annulla
June 29th, 2007, 6:37pm
Thank you Annulla, I wonder how the store would react if I told this this...

That is a bummer, I was hoping it was true.

Well, the fact is that they can turn the tabs in for whatever they're worth at a recycling center, but it certainly isn't an effecient way to raise money.

As this blogger points out regarding tabs and the Ronald McDonald House (http://honesthypocrite.blogspot.com/2006/02/pull-tab-urban-legend-made-real.html), it would be much better for those who want to help to save pennies instead of tabs.

He compares their value. He says that "100 pull tabs have a scrap metal value of 3." and explains that "1 million tabs = 1321 lbs of tabs = $572 of donation to Ronald McDonald house vs. 1 million pennies = 5524 lbs of pennies = $10,000."

Not to mention that, unlike pennies, the Ronald McDonald House people actually have to bundle up the tabs, cart them to a recycling place and have them weighed before they receive any cash.

So ... the store would be much better off collecting pennies. More importantly, Ronald McDonald house would be much, much better off with the pennies than a bunch of tabs.

Miki
June 29th, 2007, 6:41pm
Well, the fact is that they can turn the tabs in for whatever they're worth at a recycling center, but it certainly isn't an effecient way to raise money.

As this blogger points out regarding tabs and the Ronald McDonald House (http://honesthypocrite.blogspot.com/2006/02/pull-tab-urban-legend-made-real.html), it would be much better for those who want to help to save pennies instead of tabs.

He compares their value. He says that "100 pull tabs have a scrap metal value of 3." and explains that "1 million tabs = 1321 lbs of tabs = $572 of donation to Ronald McDonald house vs. 1 million pennies = 5524 lbs of pennies = $10,000."

Not to mention that, unlike pennies, the Ronald McDonald House people actually have to bundle up the tabs, cart them to a recycling place and have them weighed before they receive any cash.

So ... the store would be much better off collecting pennies. More importantly, Ronald McDonald house would be much, much better off with the pennies than a bunch of tabs.

Very interesting, will check out the blogspot. Thank you.

sunsouthern
June 29th, 2007, 6:48pm
It is true. They do collect soda pop tabs. The local Ronald McDonald House does anyway, maybe all don't.

http://www.rmhc.org/content/rmhc/index/programs/ronald_mcdonald_house/pop_tab_collection.html

The Seahorse Lady
June 29th, 2007, 6:58pm
My friend and I have been saving them for a long time and have quite a lot of them. At least now we know what we can do with them.

Thanks for posting and for everyone else for sharing the info.

obxhatteraslight
June 29th, 2007, 7:08pm
Nurse who has had patients on liquid feeds the tabs add up. Both cases that I have been on save them but I don`t know who turns them in or where they turn them in