PDA

View Full Version : How many times can a kid be absent from school?

Micheleisme
April 4th, 2007, 6:25pm
I got my 7 year old sons report card today which was good but throughout the year he has been absent 9 times from being sick. academically he is above average and all of his work gets done but I am still wondering how many absents a child is allowed to have? before they can actually try to hold them back or send them to summer school or something. I dont plan on him being absent anymore but you never know when your child is going to be sick.

On another note I am very proud of him, he exceeds grade level axpextations in math and reading which in the begining of the year they tell you not to expect any 4's which is exceeds grade level expectations. He got 3's on almost everything else which is normal and means tht he meets grade level expectations.

KylesArmyWife
April 4th, 2007, 6:29pm
When I lived in FL & was in grade school we were not allowed to miss more than 10 days.

jofo3511
April 4th, 2007, 6:31pm
10 days here also. Doctors notes are excused .

NJsunbunny
April 4th, 2007, 6:35pm
Every school district is different. In ours, if you bring in a doctor's note, that is considered an excused absence. My daughter missed 9 too but 6 or maybe even 7 of those days were covered by a doctor's note.

Jessica25
April 4th, 2007, 6:35pm
Oooh....I've heard different stories from the schools. I think it is 10. I think 3 unexcused, an officer comes to your house and discusses truancy fines and possible jail time. Try to always get a dr's note. It is good that your child does good academically, it makes them less likely to harass you about not having notes, but you are getting up there.

mrsmaxsmart
April 4th, 2007, 6:38pm
My children have been sick a bit this year too. In our district after 10 excused or non-excused you get a nasty note sent home.

TaraB12
April 4th, 2007, 6:42pm
It really depends on the district. At my old school, it was 10. At the school I currently work at, it is 20, which really ticks me off. We have parents who will take their kids to a resort for two weeks and they expect the kids to have all the time in the world to finish their missed work or that we should excuse it.

Sorry about that rant. I totally understand when a kid is sick and if they have something serious, we can work with them.

SeaofSapphires
April 4th, 2007, 6:43pm
I'm a third grade teacher and in my district after you miss 3 days, you are sent a letter, then after every 3 days after that you are sent a letter. Unexcused absences are what they are worried about.

Once we see a pattern where kids are missing for unexcused reasons, then we notify the authorities (juvenile). We do not retain for absences unless we feel that they missed so much and they are failing.

I currently have a little boy that has missed 45 days and half have been excused. He has had no major illnesses but mom manages to get a doctor excuse by calling his local pediatrician and they give him an excuse without even seeing him. He has all A's because he and his mom do all of his make up work together. It is very frustrating! My asst. principal finally called juvenile on him after he missed his 40th day.

So in other words, school districts act like they are tough on absences, but it's mainly just to scare parents who are keeping their kids home when they are not sick.

As a teacher, the absences are a major pain. I can't even keep up with all the make up work I have to get together.

Jessica25
April 4th, 2007, 6:45pm
We have parents who will take their kids to a resort for two weeks and they expect the kids to have all the time in the world to finish their missed work or that we should excuse it.

Our district (I assumed all districts, but maybe not) excuses 5 days per year for vacations. I think they consider it similar to an educational field trip.

barbidoll
April 4th, 2007, 6:46pm
10 in Georgia

Ashook
April 4th, 2007, 6:50pm
Not sure -takes 6 to get a $hitty letter from the principle here in PA.
My daughter has asthma, so every cough/cold that we all complain terribly about, settles in her chest and she gets bronchitis!
But even with tons of doctors excuses, the letters come! :rolleyes:

bonnpenn
April 4th, 2007, 6:54pm
Here they give you 7 days unexcused every 9 weeks, but that also includes being late or early dismissal. After 3 consecutive days missed a child is suppose to have a Dr. note to return, but when there is a certain illness flu, etc. going around, they don't make you do that if your child is generally at school when expected.

calexile
April 4th, 2007, 6:58pm
Probably depends on the district. California has state funding system based on attendence. Every kid who stays out costs the local school money. Sometimes they seem to care more about the money than about the kids.

WriterKathy1
April 4th, 2007, 7:00pm
Our school district allows 2 "unexcused" absences per semester. There is no problem for excused absences with documentation, such as dental and doctor appts., or funerals.
If the unexcused absences are exceeded, a letter is sent from the school system and if an adequate response is not received, the parents and child will have to appear in juvenile court. And here they are very strict about it.

aycorn
April 4th, 2007, 7:00pm
would probably depend on the district

TinyMoMo
April 4th, 2007, 7:02pm
My kids get 6 absences a year, then they send a letter, then if it goes over 10, they really hassle ya. Some districts call Children's Services after a certain number of absences.
My 7 yr old has not missed any days, but my 5 yr old has missed one.

bribella
April 4th, 2007, 7:27pm
here they are allowed 10 unexcused and then they refer you the prosecuting attorney.

satellite78
April 4th, 2007, 7:32pm
Wow. Ten years ago when I was still in school all you needed was a note from your parent. I missed a lot of school and never got hassled by anyone. I was sick a lot and never had to get a note from a doctor.

I take it back - the school did keep calling when I was home sick with mono. Problem was that I was not diagnosed until the THIRD doctor when my mom demanded they run blood work. Once I was diagnosed, I got a private tutor to keep up with my studies.

JoyfulNois
April 4th, 2007, 7:39pm
A lot depends on the district, as well as how many days that school is in session per semester.

At our high school, the student is allowed 10 absences, but once that 11th absence is hit their grade drops to a 59% before the semester final is added in. However, they also have the option of filing an absence appeal (which, if approved, brings the grade back to its original score) - and that's where it becomes important to have the Dr's documentation, etc. because without it the appeal probably won't go through.

GinGin
April 4th, 2007, 7:41pm
Kick him in the as$ and tell him that Aunt GinGin says he can't play sick no more :nana: :laugh:

IrishSix
April 4th, 2007, 7:44pm
Check your school's website. There should be a section there with the school's rules to absences.

feefee
April 4th, 2007, 8:02pm
I've never heard of a child being held back or forced to summer school for too many absences - not if they are maintaining their grades.

My son's grade school recommends a 96% attendance record. They don't start getting strict about it until middle school though, when kids are more likely to start being truant on their own. Um, yeah, maybe close the campuses for lunch if that's the problem.

anine
April 4th, 2007, 8:02pm
I just had both my kids out for 7 days while we went to Disney World. I gave the school a month's notice so that work could be completely ahead of time. Of course, the oldest ended up swamped in homework when we got back because the teachers did not give him all the stuff ahead of time.

I guess I do not have a problem with absences as long as the kid is really going somewhere and not sitting at home watching TV.

I was told that technically a school can not hold a student back as long as the kid is academically ready for the next grade. If they get passing grades...absent days mean zip.

skpaw
April 4th, 2007, 8:13pm
In Michigan my kids can miss up to 10 days per semester or 20 days per year. That is a LOT of days to miss. If you have a doctor's note, they can miss more days and make up the work. Schools send home a handbook at the start of the year -- the details should be in there. Three tardies make one absence in our schools.

I suggest that you get a doctor's note if your son is sick, My DD had her glasses fall apart and without them she could not read and she get headaches. All she needed was a screw put back in, but it got lost. I took her to the eye doctor, got a note that said she came in for eyeglass repair, and she was able to make up the test she missed.

Without a note they would not have let her make up the test since she left in the middle of the day even though I signed her out at the office. :rolleyes:

Dawnoholic
April 4th, 2007, 8:15pm
I thought it varied from district to district. I know in NJ, where my kids used to go to school, they were allowed 20 per year. I have no idea how many they are allowed up here but I've been told that as long as they are excused absences and their school performance hasn't suffered, then no need to worry.

SweepingBeauty
April 4th, 2007, 8:30pm
8 here

jwx4
April 4th, 2007, 8:31pm
in my part of florida it's 4 days per semester, anything over that has to have a doctors note or you can fail.

junebugged
April 4th, 2007, 8:43pm
wow...this is good to know!! I had no idea they did this, my son just started kindergarten and he loves going to school!

When I was in the 4th grade I had chemo. I think I saw a tudor once that whole year and looked at my classwork a whole 4 times.

I missed 85% of the school year.

I took all my exams and the NJ state parochial school tests and was ranked #1 in my class. They passed me on to the 5th grade. (This was '91 not toooo long ago...lol)

I look back at my report card from that year ....at the amount of missed days and laugh. I think I was actually in school like 32 days...all the rest, 140-something days are marked absent.

jenninshelby
April 4th, 2007, 8:45pm
Here they started the 10 day thing.. After my son missed more than something like three days they sent a letter home saying after 10 days being out I could be taken to court and he could be held back. And they no longer count "mommy" sick notes as Excused Absence!! Which is dumb. If they want me to take my son to doctor everytime he is sick they should have to pay for it. I have taken my son to doctor way toooo many times with virus only to be told they cannot do anything. Just liquids and rest. So I have learned over years when he has something that needs antibiotics or when he has a stomach flu that just needs to run it course. And in those cases my mom note should frigging count! :worry:

djdewey
April 4th, 2007, 8:52pm
I'm from texas and i've had many un-excuses absences and they haven't done anything, I've herd that you get like 18 or something they principle talks to your parents but my mom knows that she doesn't need to excuse my absences because they don't do anything, at my school when your absent you get a call home that day and you can have as many un-excused as you want.

htg20
April 4th, 2007, 8:52pm
DD has been absent at least that many times. She is not supposed to miss over 5 days because she is a transfer student but she has been sick (with the flu and other things) and I cannot and will not send her to school with a fever.

As for your question, I think it varies with each school/system.

daydreamer2
April 4th, 2007, 8:55pm
8 days here. If they miss more then 8 days they get suspended. I think it's a terrible rule when they are in elementry and middle school. I've gotten a letter saying my daughter has missed too many days and I phoned them right away. I told them I WILL NOT send my daughter thowing up or a fever, but if she has pink eye, I will be sending her. The lady excused a few of her days absent.

joenkim
April 4th, 2007, 8:56pm
Where I live in Florida they SAY it's 10 days, but there are children in my daughter's gifted class who have missed more than 20 days and it seems that if the children have excused absences AND they get good grades, they are not hassled about it. Truly, as long as the student's grades are good, then if push comes to shove you can go to the School Board and contest "it" if you or your child is threatened.

When we lived in Key West where there are quite a few celebrities and/or rich people, it was a fairly common practice for parents to pull their children out of school for extended amounts of time. One such person is an actress who lives there; she went to Australia to film a show; she pulled her children out of the public school system and indicated she would be homeschooling them; she took them to Australia with her for six weeks while she shot the program, had them keep up with the same schoolwork their classmates were doing, and when she returned to the states she re-enrolled them. Other parents I have known there have done the same thing, especially when they have travelled for an extended amount of time.

Here in Florida there is even an online program called the Florida Virtual School where you can be enrolled and doing schoolwork online, following the State curriculum, and you have Florida teachers correct your schoolwork for you. This is GREAT if you are travelling, or have to relocate to an area temporarily (say there's a family emergency in another state), or you are ill for a long time.

My daughter was out with mono 2 years ago (6th grade) and the counselor at her school was so nasty about it she threatened to hold my daughter back. We pulled our daughter out of school and the county paid for a private tutor to come and tutor daughter at home for 2x week for SEVEN months, and then when daughter went back to school (she re-enrolled) she was a straight A student. By the way, that counsleor no longer works in the school system...a while ago we saw her wearing a t-shirt which indicated she was doing landscaping work...

So far, daughter has been out 13 days this year, much of it due to a week with the flu and then another 4 days of unbearable migraines when her doctor put her on birth-control pills for heavy periods. [Note to self: heavy periods are better than migraines!]. Anyway, whenever duaghter is out sick now for more than a couple of days I always get a doctors's note to cover our butts, and the school doesn't bother us. Especially since daughter is such a good student.

NannetteRy
April 4th, 2007, 9:18pm
I work for CPS and the schools will call in reports of educational neglect to us when children miss any where for 20 days to 100 and some days it all depends on the school districts.

bigskwinner
April 4th, 2007, 9:27pm
10 here as well

mommytorres
April 4th, 2007, 10:44pm
I think it is 10 days, but after 6 they refer the issue to CPS.

When Justin was in Kindergarten he missed nearly 20 days of school between August and December. His classroom was in a portable and he had really bad asthma at the time. On a night when he had been at school (in that portable) he would breathe SO badly while he slept (*when* he could sleep). Now, he was still 5 (6 that following April) and the social worker said that the state of Florida attendance laws are for ages 6 & up, but that he could still fail. He was in the hospital for 15 of those 20 days! I kept arguing that they needed to check that classroom for air quality since he would be okay on weekends and no school days. The district kept saying the portable was 'within' range...whatever. During winter break the pediatrician wrote a medical order that he could no longer be in a portable. On the first day after winter break this took effect. Strangely :rolleyes: he never missed another day.

If your baby is getting sick...make sure you document it. Take video if you don't go to the doctor. Make sure you show a picture of the day's newspaper, to show the date.

Otherwise...I'd just send him to school every day. I don't play their games anymore, since they don't want kids absent yet they don't want them to come in sick.

I'll take them in sick and have the school nurse excuse them for the day. It cuts the crud.

majikgodss
April 4th, 2007, 11:32pm
I was gone all the time. I was a great student and my parents felt that as long as I kept my grades up, I could go on business trips with my dad. I learned more from those (and ended up working on a PhD in the same field) than I ever learned in school.

I think the Dr's excuse thing is BS. I get migranes--always have--and my parents didn't take me to the doctor every migrane. But they would call me in. I think it's the parent's job to police that--not the schools.

Mamajama
April 4th, 2007, 11:48pm
Probably depends on the district. California has state funding system based on attendence. Every kid who stays out costs the local school money. Sometimes they seem to care more about the money than about the kids.

Yup, a lot of it has to do with $$. Every day a child is absent the school loses money. I kept my son (who had perfect attendence up until that point) out for three days once because we took a short vacation when my dh came home from Iraq and I got a nasty letter from the district. Whatever. I'm not a big fan of public schools.

MelBear
April 6th, 2007, 1:40am
Yes, it varies not only from state to state, but district as well. Our schools gave out handbooks at the beginning of the year that outlined these things. The grade schools here didn't have anything on the website except homework help. Try contacting the school to make sure. Grades here didn't matter, if you missed school, you missed school. My daughter had to go a few Saturdays in order to get her attendance filled or she wouldn't graduate. Her school was very harsh with absenteeism. EVERY absence was considered UNEXCUSED unless a Drs note was given. Some times it isn't necessary to go to a DR and most times her Dr couldn't see her that day anyway, so I didn't keep her home 2 or 3 days for a headache or upset stomach because her Dr couldn't get her in there, just so I could get a Drs. note.

tupik3702
April 6th, 2007, 1:46am
It seems that many children have been sick this year than the prior year. It's from the ever changing weather patterns. Hope all stays well with you and yours! :sherlock:

mcclave
April 6th, 2007, 1:58am
I think it's 10 per semester here(unexcused)

I think it is a real good idea to encourage them to go to school even if they don't feel all that great. As long as they aren't contageous or running a fever I say go to school. I always tell mine you will feel better when you get there. Inevitably they always do. It teaches them good work ethic later in life. My son is a senior and has missed a total of 5 days in 12 years.

My other son is another story though cause he had pneumonia 3 times plus he likes to skip out. He has never surpassed the 10 days though.

fourboys4kristi
April 6th, 2007, 2:03am
Last year the school told the kids that if they had perfect attendance then at the end of the year they would get to go on a cool field trip. My son's attendance was perfect. One day I checked him out literally 10 minutes before school ended to take him to a dr.s appt that I couldn't get scheduled any other time. The end of the year came and my son was so excited about this field trip and they wouldn't let him go because of this 10 minutes. I was really pi$$ed because my son got really upset.
I think its sad that the school is so worried about the money over the child these days! Sick is sick and if the child isnt well enough to be in school whether it be 1 day or 20 they shouldnt have no right to say a damn thing.
The teacher's get to know your children quite well through out the year so they have a good idea what kids need to be checked for neglect.

HoneyI'mSweepin
April 6th, 2007, 2:14am
I was gone all the time. I was a great student and my parents felt that as long as I kept my grades up, I could go on business trips with my dad. I learned more from those (and ended up working on a PhD in the same field) than I ever learned in school.

I think the Dr's excuse thing is BS. I get migranes--always have--and my parents didn't take me to the doctor every migrane. But they would call me in. I think it's the parent's job to police that--not the schools.

You said it perfect ! My daughter had migranes so bad all her life from the age of 7 when they started , and I called the school.She was under a doctors care for the headaches but he didn't send a darn note to her school thats personal information ...She never got held back for missed days... She'd miss 20-30 days a year ..She suffered a intercranel stroke at 28 years old, and the company she was with for 9 years, fired her for not reporting to work about her illness in person on the phone,,, after the 2nd day... What a crock..The girl was in surgery 8 hours and in ICU 17 DAYS ... And than developed Minningitis and in the hosptial 21 days longer..And in rehab 8 months.... Workmans comp favored the company in court hearings .. My grandaughter whos 15 years old, has lots of medical problems, the school district failed her in 2005-2006 for missing 1 day to long during our being evactuated during Katrina, and moving back to New Orleans area, December the 20th, and not checking her back into school till the first week of January 4 .It's really hurt her and she is no longer modivated about school.She fills what the heck why give a care anymore.. Do what ya have to do when your child is ill . Doctors notes will NOT make a difference so save your money ..

HYDEIST
April 6th, 2007, 2:45am
In Florida a kid can only be absent 15 times a year before the school starts freaking out and sends a social worker to discuss making the kid repeat the grade. My kid has all kinds of respiratory problems like asthma and allergies, so cold and flu season is hell. My kid can easily miss 15 days a year from a respiratory infection or "small" pneumonia. By now I'm sick of seeing the school's social worker. Fascists! :worry:

mvir9
April 6th, 2007, 2:55am
In our school district, if a child misses more than 7 days (even with doctor's notes), the parent recieves a letter threatening to get the state social services dept. involved. As my youngest daughter (a straight A student) has upper-respiratory problems, she has missed more than her fair share of school -- excused, of course. And, yes, I received one of these letters.

My response was prompt -- I explained that the school, as a representative of the state, has no right to interfere with my parental rights, when there is obviously no evidence of neglect. I threatened to sue . . . and have received no more letters!

Homeschooling is SO tempting . . .if I only had the ability and experience to do so!

nancy_k1
April 6th, 2007, 7:36am
In our district you can only miss 9 days. Unless all 9 days are covered by a doctors excuse then they are not passed to the next grade. The only exception is hospital stays. My child has allergies. The doctor has sent notes about this. He coughs a lot. Here you can not send your child to school with a cough. When I do they call me to pick him up. Yet they expect him to not miss school. Thank goodness it is better this year. He has done well. I don't think they think about the parents who can't run their child to the doctor for every thing. So my son has allergies and we know this and have medication for it. I can't afford to take him to the doctor everytime.

jofo3511
April 6th, 2007, 8:02am
My dd's were excused for 5 school days when their cousin died in October. They are only allowed to miss 3 for a funeral (immediate family) but under the circumastances (funeral delayed) they gave them 5. It isn't counted towards the 10 day absence.

jesjaime
April 6th, 2007, 8:34am
Wow I don't know where I have been living, but I never knew that there was a set number of days. My oldest has already missed 15 days or more. I have never had any problems. When my kids are sick, I call the school and tell the attendance office why they are home,.
End of it.

jenninshelby
April 6th, 2007, 8:08pm
Last year the school told the kids that if they had perfect attendance then at the end of the year they would get to go on a cool field trip. My son's attendance was perfect. One day I checked him out literally 10 minutes before school ended to take him to a dr.s appt that I couldn't get scheduled any other time. The end of the year came and my son was so excited about this field trip and they wouldn't let him go because of this 10 minutes. I was really pi$$ed because my son got really upset.
I think its sad that the school is so worried about the money over the child these days! Sick is sick and if the child isnt well enough to be in school whether it be 1 day or 20 they shouldnt have no right to say a damn thing.
The teacher's get to know your children quite well through out the year so they have a good idea what kids need to be checked for neglect.

That is awful they did that to your son. I so would have raised a ruckus over that. I mean that is just not right. :frown3:

Miki
April 7th, 2007, 5:02am
Here your child cannot miss more than 5 days (per year) without a Dr.'s note. Well, I found out the hard way. I had no idea about this rule until I got a truancy letter for DD when she was running fevers. She missed 5 days total. Well, they didn't explain any of this stuff to me when I enrolled the kids. After 5 days? Fine and/or jail time. From what I have heard, they will actually come to your house and hand cuff you. Trust me, my kids haven't missed since that letter and the info I got without a note. I took them to the ER and racked up a nice bill just so they could be excused. :frown3:

Inkyskeeper
April 7th, 2007, 6:31am
its 5 days per semester here in highschool...dont know about the other schools.

My 14 yr. old has missed 3 days so far total for being sick and 1 day i kept her home , a friday because her sister came for a visit from new york city for only 2 days and its important to me for all of us to be together then since we dont see eachother very much.

When my 19 yr old (now in college and never misses a single day, cant miss out in college )

was in 10th grade she couldnt deal with all them highschool kids so she just didnt go for a whole 2 weeks and i didnt know it..UNTIL the cops came to my door asking about my daughter....i was totaly puzzled and very worried where she may be and had to explain it all to the cop that i had no clue and thought she was in school all this time. He was very nice and helpfull, no fees or angry or anything. He came to help us and im so very glad he did because thanks to him and the school notifying me my daughter made it through and into college.

She didnt like being around soooooooooo many kids, she needed a smaller place to go with less kids and they have that here although its more for troubled teens ( she wasnt troubled ) but because she was an A student and they wanted her to feel comfy going to school they took her in at ACE , that the name of a smaller school setting for troubled teens and i wish they had all kids go to a school smaller then highschool...kids get more attention in a smaller setting. She loved going there and never once missed another day for 2 years then she got into VT's BEST college @ UVM :gvibes:

jenninshelby
April 7th, 2007, 8:41pm
Here your child cannot miss more than 5 days (per year) without a Dr.'s note. Well, I found out the hard way. I had no idea about this rule until I got a truancy letter for DD when she was running fevers. She missed 5 days total. Well, they didn't explain any of this stuff to me when I enrolled the kids. After 5 days? Fine and/or jail time. From what I have heard, they will actually come to your house and hand cuff you. Trust me, my kids haven't missed since that letter and the info I got without a note. I took them to the ER and racked up a nice bill just so they could be excused. :frown3:

I think 5 days is being way too restrictive on this. :worry: