PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to post this, so I'm asking here.

annulla
January 3rd, 2007, 1:36pm
A lot of sweeps have screens that say something like "give us the addresses of 5 friends and we'll give you 5 extra entries!"

What do you do?

Do you enter people's addresses? If you do, don't your friends get annoyed when their mailboxes fill up with stuff from sweeps sponsors?

OKgirl
January 3rd, 2007, 1:37pm
I hardly ever fill those out. If I do its only my sisters email address and only if it looks like something she'd be interested in entering for.

purplemist
January 3rd, 2007, 1:46pm
I hardly ever fill those out. If I do its only my sisters email address and only if it looks like something she'd be interested in entering for.
Same for me, I will give my sisters if I think she would like to enter. Thats it though.

bbking
January 3rd, 2007, 1:47pm
I only enter two of my family members because they sweep too. I would never enter someones name otherwise, wouldnt want someone to do that to me ya know? Cause of the spam it sometimes creates. But that is just my opinion on the subject.

noey718
January 3rd, 2007, 1:49pm
i skip that

Maprinces3
January 3rd, 2007, 1:50pm
I usually skip that section, but if I must I use family members if I think they would be interested.

abymom
January 3rd, 2007, 1:54pm
i skip that
me too, I skip it!

Jerrysgirl
January 3rd, 2007, 2:03pm
A lot of sweeps have screens that say something like "give us the addresses of 5 friends and we'll give you 5 extra entries!"

What do you do?

Do you enter people's addresses? If you do, don't your friends get annoyed when their mailboxes fill up with stuff from sweeps sponsors?
I never fill them out :worry: I don't want my family & friends to get MORE advertisement then they already get.

venus_de_milo
January 3rd, 2007, 2:29pm
I don't fill them out, but there are referral lists here at OLS of people who are willing to receive the ads for the extra entries. :)

Alimar
January 3rd, 2007, 2:43pm
I occasionally do it, depending on whether it's something people might be interested in, how much I want the prize, and how much it increases my odds. (Like, if it gives me 5 extra entries one time but I get a daily entry anyway, so I'll get 95 entries instead of 90, I probably won't, but if it's a 1x entry sweep and gives me 5 extra entries for a total of 6 instead of just 1, I might.)

The only people I ever refer are my brother, my husband, another friend of mine who has sent me sweeps info at times, and an old friend from high school that I know will put up with it! I guess I've also sent a couple of parenting-related ones to other moms that I know like the product (like some from kids' shoe companies like Stride Rite & Robeez). I don't always fill out more than one referral even if they ask for more, though. Oh, and my brother is probably annoyed by it, but he's my brother so I don't care! LOL. I only list him if it's something he might like, though, like electronics stuff.

gcomstock
January 3rd, 2007, 2:44pm
I don't fill them out, but there are referral lists here at OLS of people who are willing to receive the ads for the extra entries. :)

Just a a general FYI...that list is great for folks who want to pursue extra referral entries. But using that list is RECIPROCAL. If you don't have an email ON the list that can be used by others, then you shouldn't be TAKING addys from the list.

I ignore the referral stuff now for the most part...too much hassle. But in the past, whenever I got a referral I'd add the email address to an address folder, and then include THAT sender when I had referrals. One person wrote me back, outraged and indignant, saying I had no right to spam them, etc.

Huh?

pandka
January 3rd, 2007, 2:50pm
Just a a general FYI...that list is great for folks who want to pursue extra referral entries. But using that list is RECIPROCAL. If you don't have an email ON the list that can be used by others, then you shouldn't be TAKING addys from the list.

I ignore the referral stuff now for the most part...too much hassle. But in the past, whenever I got a referral I'd add the email address to an address folder, and then include THAT sender when I had referrals. One person wrote me back, outraged and indignant, saying I had no right to spam them, etc.

Huh?
That's wrong. What were they thinking? :rolleyes: If they used you should be able to use them.

Nubbs820
January 3rd, 2007, 2:57pm

Huh?

I think any email that I actually open is put on my contacts list. I was in a voting contest and sent an email to all of my contacts. Someone posted about me, well they didn't know who it was, but they posted the email stating that I spammed them.. whatever :worry:

But on that token, I am on the referral list sort of towards the top and I don't get much from people here abusing it. But if someone sends me a referral link for something, it's the probability that sometime in the future, I will use that person also.

redfantum
January 3rd, 2007, 3:02pm
I am on the referral list with a throw away addy. I check it maybe once a month and clean it out. I wouldn't want all that spam in my regular addy either. I don't usually do it unless it is a one time and I really want it!

fastfreddie1959
January 3rd, 2007, 3:04pm
Which is not often i just make up E:mail addys :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Example--frankfooter@ hotmail.com--Or bendover@yahoo.com :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dvhnv
January 3rd, 2007, 3:06pm
I never put referrals in.

KChele
January 3rd, 2007, 3:06pm

Huh?
I actually removed my name from that list. I was getting way too many referrals. What I don't understand is why people would refer me to sweepstakes that they don't even get an extra entry for.

sweepnut
January 3rd, 2007, 3:11pm
I just blow them off. I don't know of 5 friends who want more spam. There is a page on here somewhere, where people volunteer their email addys for that if you volunteer yours....At least I think there is one around here, LOL!

annulla
January 3rd, 2007, 3:54pm

For those of us who don't know, where is the list?

Can anyone provide a link?

jazzyk55
January 3rd, 2007, 5:26pm
All those lovely little fwd,fwd,fwd,fwd emails i get from Aunt Poolie, Cousin Blabbermouth, have a very long list of viable email adedys. I made a referral list in Robo with all their names including the peeps that will not stop sending the forwards in the first place. I get lots of extra entries that way. :laugh:

SillyLilly
January 3rd, 2007, 6:42pm

Huh?

The email the referral comes from is their GOOD SWEEPS addy. They have probably added a junk mail addy to the referral list, and don't want their good addy junked up with referrals and all the extra junk that comes with that. That's why the rules in the first post in the referral list explicitly prohibit using any addy that might show up in your mailbox, and to use only the addys that are listed in the referral thread.

gcomstock
January 3rd, 2007, 9:03pm
For those of us who don't know, where is the list?

Can anyone provide a link?

It's a stickied thread at the top of this forum:

New Premium Sweepstakes and Contests

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

margarita_mama
January 3rd, 2007, 11:27pm
The email the referral comes from is their GOOD SWEEPS addy. They have probably added a junk mail addy to the referral list, and don't want their good addy junked up with referrals and all the extra junk that comes with that. That's why the rules in the first post in the referral list explicitly prohibit using any addy that might show up in your mailbox, and to use only the addys that are listed in the referral thread.

I just was going to post this. Thanks SillyLilly.
Yes...the referral list consist mostly of email addys people have specifically set up for the use of referrals. The email that is sent when a referral is generated will be from the sweeper's "good" email addy, not the one they may have listed in the referral list here at OLS.
Please, gcomstock, don't assume that an email addy that you receive a referral from is "spam". If your email is in the referral list (I have one there and it is not anywhere near similar to what my sweeping email addy is) then it is safe to assume that anyone who has access to that list may use it.
Just thinking back on this....I think I've seen a few posts about people receiving referrals in their regular sweeping addys. This could be the reason.

jacksgrl
January 3rd, 2007, 11:38pm
I always skip those.