PDA

View Full Version : Do wedding sweeps depress you?

wercatgrlz
January 3rd, 2007, 2:53am
I get so depressed when I see those wedding sweeps. I enter them out of spite. In hopes that I will be able to deny some hopelessly happy, starry eyed bride just one more thing to make her happy. You're getting a MAN, now you want flowers. Blah. When I get married (haa!) I'm getting payback for all those times I served as bridesmaid (9 to be exact). I'm going to have all the brides come back to be my Matrons of Honor. I'll order their shoes a half size to small and pick really ugly, ill-fitting dresses, the kind that makes your butt look huge. grrrrrrrr :mad2:

Truthfully, I don't know what I'd do with 20 plastic dove bubble containers, but I'd think of something.

Debberly
January 3rd, 2007, 3:13am
You crack me up. You had me going last night too :laugh:

fastfreddie1959
January 3rd, 2007, 3:14am
Cause # 1 I don't enter them...
And # 2 I aint never getting married again :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rocksea_lady
January 3rd, 2007, 3:18am
Married 5 years yesterday. Not into the whole wedding thing. We eloped and I still tease my DH about the crowd we had in attendence. We had 3 guests... I love being married, I really can't stand all the pomp and circumstance. We never did go on a honeymoon because I found out I was pregnant about a month later and we never had the chance to plan a trip...

Hope you win and enjoy the flowers and party!

wercatgrlz
January 3rd, 2007, 3:25am
Thanks! Sounds like you had the perfect wedding. Me, nope and never again. But I would have fun blowing the bubbles and giving out flowers to my friends.

VALENTINE
January 3rd, 2007, 3:32am
Oh my! I enter ALL of the Bridal Sweeps I can find!
Our marriage was so ghastly horrible we want to get re-married one day.

We had such a terrible wedding,
We didn't have funds to do anything nice and I didn't have a gown. Dh only worked at a local Albertson's grocery store.
His manager lied and let my Dh have the day off, then after we got married he phoned and told my DH he needed to throw stock all night long on our honeymoon or else loose his job.
He had no choice but to go to work that night. I cried most of the night.

As it was we only could afford a justice of the peace marriage in a small Texas hick town.
The JP office was right next door to a farm feed store.
The office walls had peeling paint and smelled terrible.
The judge even had to make a hay sale before coming in to marry us. :frown3:

To top that off my friend who took the only wedding pictures we had left them on his dashboard in the hot sun in his car and they were ruined. I don't have even one picture.

Oh, and my only female witness/bridemaid that I had died 2 years ago.

I HATE ALBERTSON'S GROCERY and will never forgive the chain for hiring and training such heartless managers, not training them to have even one tiny pinch of humanity.

wercatgrlz
January 3rd, 2007, 3:44am
That's so terrible. I'm so sorry. Next time I drive past Albertsons I'll flip 'em the bird, just for you.

Nickyle
January 3rd, 2007, 4:06am
That's so terrible. I'm so sorry. Next time I drive past Albertsons I'll flip 'em the bird, just for you.

:frown3: my dh is an albertsons manager, he has a big heart :love: but i do agree that the higher ups suck and no longer care.

my 1st married was horrible from the start but oh how i was in love (gag!). after saying our dos at the justice of the peace we stopped to get 3 hotdogs for $1 at the local stinker station. then went home where he proceeded to go out partying.....without me!

i did it right the 2nd time, will celebrate 11 years married this summer.

meeeee
January 3rd, 2007, 8:36am

I never thought of a remarriage with a sweep
I don't know if I would want to go thru all of that again my wedding was huge so I guess I am happy with just one

Jessibear19
January 3rd, 2007, 8:48am
They kind of depress me, I don't see myself ever getting married.

216amyc
January 3rd, 2007, 8:48am
I get so depressed when I see those wedding sweeps. I enter them out of spite. In hopes that I will be able to deny some hopelessly happy, starry eyed bride just one more thing to make her happy. You're getting a MAN, now you want flowers. Blah. When I get married (haa!) I'm getting payback for all those times I served as bridesmaid (9 to be exact). I'm going to have all the brides come back to be my Matrons of Honor. I'll order their shoes a half size to small and pick really ugly, ill-fitting dresses, the kind that makes your butt look huge. grrrrrrrr :mad2:

Truthfully, I don't know what I'd do with 20 plastic dove bubble containers, but I'd think of something.

The only thing that depresses me is that my fiance and I do not have the money to have a nice wedding reception or any wedding reception for that matter!! It also depresses me that I am the only girl in my family and my parents won't give me much $$ towards my big day! They were MORE than happy to fork out $5000 for my little bro, but for me, $1500 is it!!! Yeah, that won't even cover food costs, but thanks anyway! I enter in hopes of something that will help us to have the kind of wedding that we want, but cannot afford. It's a long shot, but hey I can try can't I?? Maybe someday....

Jinxed One
January 3rd, 2007, 8:53am

oh hell yes lol. i enter the bridal sweeps too hoping ill win. even if i havent found prince charming/dont think ill ever marry really. it is depressing.

MisConduckt
January 3rd, 2007, 9:02am
Cause # 1 I don't enter them...
And # 2 I aint never getting married again :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Here Here Freddie.....have a beer. :smile9:

nicolbw
January 3rd, 2007, 10:37am
My first wedding was a big one. It was a pain and not really as fun as I thought it would be.

After divorcing him I decided to never have a big wedding again.

My second wedding I had in the back yard of my parent's house. It was for family and very close friends. There was about 30 people there. I wore a nice light yellow sunday type dress. Why pretend and wear white? Anyway it was a beautiful day. I highly recommend having a small intimate wedding over a big one with people you hardly know.

smoaksone
January 3rd, 2007, 10:43am
We got married in Chili's. My best friend was the notary and my husband's uncle was the witness. I enter the sweeps so that we may one day have a wedding.

HelenR
January 3rd, 2007, 10:51am
They aren't depressing me this year because DD is getting married in April and it surely would be nice to win something for her. Everything is so expensive even though it is going to be a small wedding. I enter the ones that I can and tell her about others that only the bride can enter.

JMC663
January 3rd, 2007, 10:53am

We had such a terrible wedding,
We didn't have funds to do anything nice and I didn't have a gown. Dh only worked at a local Albertson's grocery store.
His manager lied and let my Dh have the day off, then after we got married he phoned and told my DH he needed to throw stock all night long on our honeymoon or else loose his job.
He had no choice but to go to work that night. I cried most of the night.

As it was we only could afford a justice of the peace marriage in a small Texas hick town.
The JP office was right next door to a farm feed store.
The office walls had peeling paint and smelled terrible.
The judge even had to make a hay sale before coming in to marry us. :frown3:

To top that off my friend who took the only wedding pictures we had left them on his dashboard in the hot sun in his car and they were ruined. I don't have even one picture.

Oh, and my only female witness/bridemaid that I had died 2 years ago.

I HATE ALBERTSON'S GROCERY and will never forgive the chain for hiring and training such heartless managers, not training them to have even one tiny pinch of humanity.
Your weeding sound soooo great!! What a great story!! If you had something huge and lovely, how boring would that be!! I like quirky things and that story and your marriage will stand the test of time.

Defenderofthefaith
January 3rd, 2007, 11:17am
They depress me too, just like all the bridal gown commercials... :frown3:

TaraB12
January 3rd, 2007, 11:27am
The only thing that depresses me is that my fiance and I do not have the money to have a nice wedding reception or any wedding reception for that matter!! It also depresses me that I am the only girl in my family and my parents won't give me much $$ towards my big day! They were MORE than happy to fork out $5000 for my little bro, but for me, $1500 is it!!! Yeah, that won't even cover food costs, but thanks anyway! I enter in hopes of something that will help us to have the kind of wedding that we want, but cannot afford. It's a long shot, but hey I can try can't I?? Maybe someday....

Our parents are not giving us any money because they just don't have any to give. It's ridiculous how much weddings cost nowadays. I've had two friends just get married and they spent around $20,000 each. Not for me! We could do much better things with that money.
Chicago prices are just crazy!

We have decided to get married in a small town and it is soooo much cheaper.

Defenderofthefaith
January 3rd, 2007, 11:30am
IF I ever get married again, it will be in Vegas, baby! Oh, and I never had anyone pay for my weddings. I got married 4X and we paid for all of them. Needless to say, it didn't cost $20K--you can put a good downpayment on a house or do so many other things with that money...

kkmart
January 3rd, 2007, 11:39am
I got married in the Dominican Republic with only 2 people as witnesses ( my best friend and her DH). I wouldn't do it anyother way! I hate big weddings! All of that money and it is over in a few hours... what a waste...

jeepers
January 3rd, 2007, 11:50am
I'm getting married on Christmas day this year. I look forward to em.
I'm trying to win a ring soooo bad! And a honeymoon.
I don't try for big wedding things. It's only gonna be Michael and I.

wackydackydoo
January 3rd, 2007, 11:52am
I love them. My first marriage was nothing but abusiveness, but I'm remarried and in a one-in-a-million relationship.

mrsgerbil
January 3rd, 2007, 11:53am
I can't believe all the sad stories. I had a wonderfully BEAUTIFUL wedding 5 1/2 years ago, and people STILL tell us how much fun they had at our reception. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

jblain
January 3rd, 2007, 11:53am
I'm not married and don't ever plan to be. These sweeps depress me because I can't in good conscience enter them, even though I would love to win some of the prizes. :laugh:

fastfreddie1959
January 3rd, 2007, 12:58pm
IF I ever get married again, it will be in Vegas, baby! Oh, and I never had anyone pay for my weddings. I got married 4X and we paid for all of them. Needless to say, it didn't cost $20K--you can put a good downpayment on a house or do so many other things with that money...

Got this beautiful trailer in the mountains with your name written all over it :laugh: :laugh: http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/fastfreddie1959/7.gif

This is what i have to offer.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/fastfreddie1959/janitershouse.jpg

sweepnut
January 3rd, 2007, 1:06pm
I just want the honeymoon (ie vacation)

pookaboo
January 3rd, 2007, 1:07pm
I don't get depressed about the aweeps I enter them`most are good prizes. I do get depressed about my size 6 dress ~

* years and 3 kids later so long~~~~

216amyc
January 3rd, 2007, 1:08pm
Our parents are not giving us any money because they just don't have any to give. It's ridiculous how much weddings cost nowadays. I've had two friends just get married and they spent around $20,000 each. Not for me! We could do much better things with that money.
Chicago prices are just crazy!

We have decided to get married in a small town and it is soooo much cheaper.

Parents not having any money to give is one thing, but when your parents are wealthy and pick and choose which children to help in the family and which not too, I don't agree with that. Also, I would never even fathom spending $20k on a weddding, even with my parents help! I am budgeting about $5K- which is most compared to some these days!

sweepnut
January 3rd, 2007, 1:08pm
Got this beautiful trailer in the mountains with your name written all over it :laugh: :laugh: http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/fastfreddie1959/7.gif

YOU ARE BAD!!!! ROFL!!!

inspiringmind
January 3rd, 2007, 2:54pm
Hubby and I got married in front of a Judge and two witnesses we didn't know, they pulled them out of the hallway. LOL It didn't cost us anything more then getting the license to get married. I do enter wedding sweeps though cause someday I would love to re-new our vows and have a nice wedding dress and all the fixings. And a honeymoon to somewhere nice..........like Hawaii. (Yeah, that's the ticket!)

Miki
January 3rd, 2007, 4:09pm
I enter the wedding sweeps because, I want to renew my vows and any wedding wins would go towards that. I don't want to get into why I want to renew them. Oh, my 10th wedding anniversary is tomorrow.

My honest opinion? It's selfish to try to win something out of spite to cost another persons happiness. My post is not intended to bash you, just my opinion.

swankygirl
January 3rd, 2007, 4:21pm
I couldn't stand the thought of a "traditional" wedding in a church (I'm Protestant and my DH is Catholic), so we packed up and flew out to Colorado and got married in the mountains. Just our immediate family and a spot in the gorgeous San Juan mountain range that we needed a 4WD vehicle to get to.
I DID have to have the $3,500 wedding dress of my dreams, though... :)

jellosheriff
January 3rd, 2007, 4:34pm

That doesn't look too bad, but I must say that the mumu really doesn't do anything for you. :halo:

lifesfun
January 3rd, 2007, 4:35pm
I don't want to get or be married anymore, so I just pass those by.

cristinav
January 3rd, 2007, 4:39pm
I don't enter the wedding/honeymoon sweeps. They only deppress me because I wish I was sweeping back then. We had a nice affordable wedding. I think it's crazy people that spend ten of thousands!!! That would be a nice down payment on a home.

Alimar
January 3rd, 2007, 4:43pm
Well, I've been married 15 years so I've never even paid attention to wedding sweeps! I just pass them over. Our wedding was fairly small & only cost about $2,500. Our reception was just a short thing in a room at the church right after the ceremony, and we didn't have food except cake & punch, which was what nearly our other friends & relatives all did at the time, too, so it didn't seem as weird then as it might now. My bridesmaids' dresses only cost them $33.50 each at a close-out store, & I paid for their shoes because they were all broke! (So was I, but I didn't want to cause extra hardship for them.)

But I get bummed that I was never a bridesmaid. I think people are lucky when they have so many close friends or relatives that want them to participate in their weddings! I would love to have friends like that. I could barely come up with 3 friends to ask to be in my wedding. I have had enough friends that I have been to many weddings, but no friends close enough to ask me to be an attendant. (As for the 3 friends who were in my wedding, 1 of them was already married but ended up getting divorced, and the other 2 are still single 15 years later, so I think we may have been bad luck!)

lifesfun
January 3rd, 2007, 4:49pm
Well, I've been married 15 years so I've never even paid attention to wedding sweeps! I just pass them over. Our wedding was fairly small & only cost about $2,500. We didn't have food except cake & punch, which was what nearly our other friends & relatives all did at the time, too, so it didn't seem as weird then as it might now. My bridesmaids' dresses only cost them $33.50 each at a close-out store, & I paid for their shoes because they were all broke! (So was I, but I didn't want to cause extra hardship for them.)

But I get bummed that I was never a bridesmaid. I think people are lucky when they have so many close friends or relatives that want them to participate in their weddings! I would love to have friends like that. I could barely come up with 3 friends to ask to be in my wedding. I have had enough friends that I have been to many weddings, but no friends close enough to ask me to be an attendant. (As for the 3 friends who were in my wedding, 1 of them was already married but ended up getting divorced, and the other 2 are still single 15 years later, so I think we may have been bad luck!)

I was chosen to be a maid of honor one time and that was my younger sisters wedding. I was 7 months pregnant at the time. During rehearsal I realized that I just couldn't do it and told my sister I couldn't but she was ok with that. I waddled down the aisle. LOL.

BEARHUGS65
January 3rd, 2007, 4:50pm
Parents not having any money to give is one thing, but when your parents are wealthy and pick and choose which children to help in the family and which not too, I don't agree with that. Also, I would never even fathom spending $20k on a weddding, even with my parents help! I am budgeting about $5K- which is most compared to some these days!My folks gave my sister a big whohaa and me notta but then again she thought I was the favorite when indeed I paid rent while living at home and even helping my dad work as a teen it was working for my living quarters- what a butthead ----

I don't get depressed I enter and try to win rings or a small vegas wedding- we are planning on getting rearried then going to Hawaii- husband wants to get remarried too and there are people that were at our small wedding he does not want at our renewals . I enter with a smile hoping someone gets the big one and I do nt but last year I won a big one and luckily someone on this board got picked when I turned it down- I was going for the rings- person has not announced but maybe that was in the rules...but Vegas is where we are renewing