PDA

View Full Version : question for BIG trip winners

mudrunnersmom
January 2nd, 2007, 10:16am
I need info/advice on trip insurance. Because the trip I won to Turkey is so expensive and the dates are fixed, and I have kids, elderly parents etc. I am planning on purchasing trip/travel insurance. I am wondering how past big trip winners handled it, specifically how do you value the trip for the travel insurance, when did you buy it, and recommendations on companies, how you proviced documentation to the insurance company and any other info, ideaas, and experiences you have had with it. For example - I obviously am not putting down a trip deposit so do you just fill in that the trip is fuilly paid for on the application? do you pust down the date you were notifed that you were the official winner as the date the trip was purchased? Thanks
LInda

IrishSix
January 2nd, 2007, 10:24am
First I would check with the Prize company, perhaps they would do that for you. I have only purchased trip insurance once, but it was not on a win. When I did it I googled companies, compared prices, and then did searches on the company name for reviews. Another place to look would be the frequent flyer website.

Hope that helps! And have a great trip! :jump:

Maprinces3
January 2nd, 2007, 10:25am
When I won the trip to Ecuador (the dates got so messed up, we took a $2000.00 cash alternative)
I was going to get insurance on the trip, but were told by all the companies that we contacted that we would not be able to claim any portion that we won (ie hotel, airfare, etc...) and that it had to be purchased within 30 days of the airline tickets being purchased to include medical insurance (if one of us became ill or injuried and had to be taken home before end of trip, and the other would go home too)

mudrunnersmom
January 2nd, 2007, 10:34am
I guess I just need to start calling around. that's what I have been afraid of. Yes I need to purchase it in case someone gets ill and the trip gets cut short so I can get back to the US on the insurances dime becasue I sure don't have 4K for a last minute flight back to the US, but I would hate to have to pay taxes on a 10K trip and then not get to go because one of my folks or kids got ill (or worse)