PDA

View Full Version : A tip for newcomers

dfraley3
January 2nd, 2007, 6:59am
I just wanted to drop a line and tell everyone about a stupid, stupid mistake I made. I've been entering the MOC sweeps listed here at the forums. I always understood that if you won -- you'd get an email. Dumb, dumb me thought it would come through your regular email -- didn't even think about the email system here where you look at Private Messages. I just stumbled on it by accident today when I was changing my avistar. Here I won a really good prize on Dec. 27th and missed it because I didn't respond within the 24 hrs. Wow -- 2007 isn't starting out too good. I bought a friend 2 boxes of Lego's at the flea market for $15 and he turned around and sold it on E-Bay for $245!!!!

arouet
January 2nd, 2007, 7:39am
Well I hope it gets better for you. :gvibes:

OKgirl
January 2nd, 2007, 1:05pm
I'd suggest changing your User Settings to get a notification sent to the email address that you signed up with, each time you recieve a Private Message. :)

Go to Options/Help, then User CP, then Edit Options, and under Private Messaging and click on the boxes below it. I have all three checked so I never miss a PM when it arrives.

lassie
January 2nd, 2007, 1:28pm
What is a private message and how do they work? What are MOC sweeps? oh lord i am confused.

abymom
January 2nd, 2007, 1:39pm
I just wanted to drop a line and tell everyone about a stupid, stupid mistake I made. I've been entering the MOC sweeps listed here at the forums. I always understood that if you won -- you'd get an email. Dumb, dumb me thought it would come through your regular email -- didn't even think about the email system here where you look at Private Messages. I just stumbled on it by accident today when I was changing my avistar. Here I won a really good prize on Dec. 27th and missed it because I didn't respond within the 24 hrs. Wow -- 2007 isn't starting out too good. I bought a friend 2 boxes of Lego's at the flea market for $15 and he turned around and sold it on E-Bay for $245!!!!

sorry to hear that!

I do think when you sign on, it shows you when you have PMs...at least for me, it says how many new PMs I have, so it reminds me to check it...

good luck in the future,

I actually only enter one time MOCs (due to time) so haven't won yet, but it must be disappointing to win and miss the cutoff...

gcomstock
January 2nd, 2007, 2:59pm
What is a private message and how do they work? What are MOC sweeps? oh lord i am confused.

MOC means Members Only Contests...they are sponsored by your fellow OLSrs, and they're giving away something. The rules vary, most of the time the drawing is random. There's a special section in the forums for them, here: http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Private messages are like message board postings (they are hosted here at OLS, rather than sent to your email) but they may only be read by the person to whom they are addressed. I'll send you a test PM now.

Up just under the top right hand corner of every forums page you'll see Private Messages and if you click it you'll go to that section. Explore, it's pretty simple, but specific questions should be easy to answer.

You set your Private Message preferences in the User CP (control panel) which you access from the Options/ Help tab (the green tabs just below the logo). I suggest you set PM's to popup when you visit, unless you'll be getting so many it becomes annoying.