PDA

View Full Version : Why say I can't say what I won?

Georgie Girl
January 1st, 2007, 7:44pm
I am not being argumentative here, because I really don't know. There is something I'm not aware of.

Why do some folks say "I won big but I can't say what...I'll tell you later after I have it in hand...or after I send in the affie...or whatever"

If I win big I will either post it and tell you about it or wait until I can tell you everything (most likely I'd tell all from the beginning, that's my style, can't keep a secret).

I never remember to go back to see what the person won.

melanie188
January 1st, 2007, 7:47pm
I am not being argumentative here, because I really don't know. There is something I'm not aware of.

Why do some folks say "I won big but I can't say what...I'll tell you later after I have it in hand...or after I send in the affie...or whatever"

If I win big I will either post it and tell you about it or wait until I can tell you everything (most likely I'd tell all from the beginning, that's my style, can't keep a secret).

I know. I've won something fairly big, and it's killing me to not anounce it, but I just want to wait until it's all done so I don't jinx myself, but let me tell you-I want to blab so so bad!

Georgie Girl
January 1st, 2007, 7:48pm
I know. I've won something fairly big, and it's killing me to not anounce it, but I just want to wait until it's all done so I don't jinx myself, but let me tell you-I want to blab so so bad!

How would talking about it jinx you? A personal feeling?

InkyPrincess
January 1st, 2007, 8:06pm
Most of the time you are not an "official winner" until all the paperwork is done and verified. Until then you are just a potential winner.

I think I read something on here about people getting jealous and calling the sponsor trying to ruin the potential win for them.

I dunno. :P

Georgie Girl
January 1st, 2007, 8:09pm
Most of the time you are not an "official winner" until all the paperwork is done and verified. Until then you are just a potential winner.

I think I read something on here about people getting jealous and calling the sponsor trying to ruin the potential win for them.

I'd say "unbelieveable" but it really is

retellingstories
January 1st, 2007, 8:11pm
There have been cases in the past where someone has posted a win before the affy has been turned in, and another has become jealous, etc, and called the sponsor to have the person disqualified. Until all of the paperwork is signed and turned in, you are just a potential winner. Also, the sponsor can revoke a prize if all of the rules are not followed, including keeping a win silent until all paperwork is turned in. It sucks that people are so childish and vindictive, but it is much better to be safe than have a GP pulled because you spilled the beans to early.

pambanter
January 1st, 2007, 8:12pm
Because some people call the sponsors to complain about who won. It happened here not very long ago when someone who was NOT in the state the sweep was eligible for, but was a RESIDENT of the state because of military service....phew....

Anyway, they posted that they won and someone got all pissy and CALLLED THE JA, or wrote them or something. And then admitted.

And it happened with the Dream House one year.

It's happened alot. People will decide that you don't deserve the win because they looked through your posts and see that you also enter for your husband, or whatever...and they will call and not only tattle on YOU but on all of OLS.

It is just a better idea to wait until everything is settled. Although why people feel the need to say anything until it is all settled is beyond me.

melanie188
January 1st, 2007, 8:13pm
How would talking about it jinx you? A personal feeling?

What all the others have said :) I don't want anyone calling the sponser and ruining it for me.

jenssequa
January 1st, 2007, 8:15pm
I just got an affy last month for $500 from the Snausages Fortune Snookie contest GP win. I did post it with the amount.

The affy did say "potential winner" though, so there was the "jinx" thing too. You don't want to jinx it until you have "cash in hand".

Contesters are a superstisious breed, we believe in luck, I would bet a lot of people have good luck charms around their computer. I, myself, have my fairy dust necklace hanging from the computer monitor. Stands to reason that a contester would beleive in a jinx.

Here's some fairy dust for ya! Good luck!

:fairy3: :fairy3: :fairy4:

pambanter
January 1st, 2007, 8:17pm
Hey, neighbor. NOOoooo, not the reason. Read this thread.

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463952&page=1&pp=20&highlight=military+residence

buck1938
January 1st, 2007, 8:36pm
When I get a win I post it. If something happens and it falls through, that's life, but not because I posted it. Just my opinion!!

Doug

AlaskanSweeper
January 1st, 2007, 8:39pm
It didn't used to be this way. People used to get flamed for posting "I won but I can't/won't tell" threads, but its become commonplace. I wish people would wait. Its frustrating to look at a thread about someone's big win and find out they're not telling you what the big win is. We all want the details, don't we? :laugh:

adoptingteens
January 1st, 2007, 8:41pm

i agree when you have the prize than post it....

if you afraid to post it before affy don't post it

secular
January 1st, 2007, 8:48pm

Yep, it has happened.

susan1215
January 1st, 2007, 8:50pm
People who post they won something big but can't say what yet drive me crazy too. Wait untill you get the prize in hand and then post or post right away and tell us what the prize is. I don't under stand this "jinx" thing too it's silly. It's rare that a person is notified they they won a big prize and then not get it , so odds are if you get a winning noification you are going to get the prize whether you tell people ahead of time of not. I have never heard of anyone calling a sponsor to ruin it for the winner that just doesn't make sense.

I did notice a lot of people who received the winning letters for the Doritos TV post they won before they got the TV (including myself) so I don't think everyone belives they should wait untill they get the prize in hand to post about the win. It's not that they aren't allowed to post what they won it's that they choose not to.

Jinxed One
January 1st, 2007, 8:51pm
i cant stand when ppl do this lol.. yes i know of a FEW past threads where ppl tried to sabotage a win for another member.. actually i only know of one thread where that happened. but i say if you are going to announce it why not wait until its official. instead of saying you won but cant tell yet?most of the time ppl forget to come back and see what was posted not to mention its pretty annoying. jmho lol

caseycupcake
January 1st, 2007, 8:56pm
It didn't used to be this way. People used to get flamed for posting "I won but I can't/won't tell" threads, but its become commonplace. I wish people would wait. Its frustrating to look at a thread about someone's big win and find out they're not telling you what the big win is. We all want the details, don't we? :laugh:

Let me just say, when you win a big one, you want to shout it from the rooftops. I have tried to wait, but it is nearly impossible. So I will keep posting the big ones. Sorry. Just don't look if it bothers you too much.

kmclayman
January 1st, 2007, 8:59pm
I can never wait :laugh:

And do people really sabotage others? Spending that time sabotaging when they could be entering? what? :laugh:

Wontpayretail23
January 1st, 2007, 9:20pm
I think it's great when people share their wins but it's a real bummer when someone has to spoil it for someone else. :worry:

JustGina
January 1st, 2007, 9:25pm
Hey, neighbor. NOOoooo, not the reason. Read this thread.

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463952&page=1&pp=20&highlight=military+residence

After reading her post I had to put her on ignore list :worry: I have never even thought of putting anyone on ignore before. If I ever saw her in a dark ally :mad2: "Her career choice is not my problem." My head hurt thinking of awful things I would say to her/him about that statement.:mad3:

I don't post my wins till I get my prize in hand. Tell then its not a real win to me.

robsterclaw
January 1st, 2007, 9:31pm
I really find it annoying when people post I won, but just can't say what it is. Why bother posting then? For a little attention? Do they want a congrats now and then in a little while later when it's official? Two for the price of one kinda thing? I deliberately try not to remember the names of the people that post these kind of posts because I don't want to judge them on just one post. I just haven't figured out a decent reason for posting that.

Sweepsieree
January 1st, 2007, 10:08pm
I really find it annoying when people post I won, but just can't say what it is. Why bother posting then? For a little attention? Do they want a congrats now and then in a little while later when it's official? Two for the price of one kinda thing? I deliberately try not to remember the names of the people that post these kind of posts because I don't want to judge them on just one post. I just haven't figured out a decent reason for posting that.

I would be willing to bet that they post them because they are just excited about winning something. And, after reading some of the posts regarding sweepers contacting judging agencies, I can understand why they don't want to disclose the win fully until after it has been made official. It's not worth it.

Good luck to you! :)

miriama59
January 1st, 2007, 10:16pm
I don't wait. I won 25 thousand and I announced it right away. Otherwise, why post about it?

Just my opinion. And definitely when it is an instant like when they give away one a day. Posting that I won that day means others won't waste their time entering. Helps others that way.

Kiana
January 1st, 2007, 11:05pm
Because some people call the sponsors to complain about who won. It happened here not very long ago when someone who was NOT in the state the sweep was eligible for, but was a RESIDENT of the state because of military service....phew....

Anyway, they posted that they won and someone got all pissy and CALLLED THE JA, or wrote them or something. And then admitted.

It's happened alot. People will decide that you don't deserve the win because they looked through your posts and see that you also enter for your husband, or whatever...and they will call and not only tattle on YOU but on all of OLS.

It is just a better idea to wait until everything is settled. Although why people feel the need to say anything until it is all settled is beyond me.

Take heed, she's right. The mantra in my family is: "I told big mouth, and he told fat mouth." So I tell no one.

pambanter
January 2nd, 2007, 12:11am
But the thing is, with my example, military people really do have special rules for their "residence." Anyway, it is not the first nor is it the last that people will think that a win is not kosher, for whatever reason.

I remember when someone won a McDonald's car like right off the bat and I was like, NOOOOOoo, not that big cheater?!?!? But I didn't do anything about it.

On the OTHER hand, I have seriously considered turning in some cheaters, not so much because of one particular sweep, but because of a pattern of abuses that are so apparent.

But I never have. Never will, probably. And if I did, I would never post it HERE. Heh. :laugh:

timsterino
January 2nd, 2007, 12:15am

Because in the past on OLS, people have posted big wins here and there were some jealous people who would call the judging agency to say they cheated, etc. They would do this for a number of reasons including just to be mean.

Jealously is a very tough pill for many people. I do not blame people anymore for not posting right away.

wintermom29
January 2nd, 2007, 12:19am

This is the reason why I will never post a huge win, This is sad :worry:

Debberly
January 2nd, 2007, 12:46am
I was like, NOOOOOoo, not that big cheater?!?!?

Yep, it was made real clear when the company almost disqualified her. She got caught up in her own entry lies.... Couldn't even remember which DOB she used for the winning entry :worry:

Edit: HUGE apology. I got the wins confused. I was thinking of the laptop win that Pambanter discusses below. Again...HUGE apology to the car winner. This is why I refuse to state screen names even through a pm...

Miki
January 2nd, 2007, 1:39am
It is so sad that people will do drastic things due to jealousy over prizes. That is why I am not going to post any large wins until they are in my hands this year. (If I win any!)

AlaskanSweeper
January 2nd, 2007, 1:57am
Let me just say, when you win a big one, you want to shout it from the rooftops. I have tried to wait, but it is nearly impossible. So I will keep posting the big ones. Sorry. Just don't look if it bothers you too much.
Its silly to suggest not looking. I have never seen the fact that they won't be telling you what they won in the thread title.

MrsM
January 2nd, 2007, 6:07am
Shame on people who call judging agencies. That's pathetic. No wonder nobody says anything. :worry:

miriama59
January 2nd, 2007, 6:56am
Yep, it was made real clear when the company almost disqualified her. She got caught up in her own entry lies.... Couldn't even remember which DOB she used for the winning entry :worry:

I don't suppose anyone would care to PM me about that....I am very curious now. :) I missed all that. :sherlock:

pambanter
January 2nd, 2007, 12:48pm
I don't suppose anyone would care to PM me about that....I am very curious now. :) I missed all that. :sherlock:
Well, I'm not gunna. Even the most cursory glance through the "screenshot of wins" thread will let you know some of the cheaters. They win One Per Household over and over and post, BIL won, SIL won, DB won. And then when you see one of those obvious offenders win and win big it is like NNNOOOoooo!

But I will tell you I saw another one. Newish member, that laptop instant...I think it may have been the one where you designed the skin every day...came here and couldn't keep his OWN story straight about whether he was Dq'd because of dob, or email address or whatever. His story kept changing. Heh. It was funny.

Speaking of...gosh was I embarrassed when that one ended. I had spent HOURS every day making a design and when I saw what the finalists had done I was like, whoa.

inspiringmind
January 2nd, 2007, 2:14pm
After reading all this I have realized that this year I will only post little wins...usually instants. But if I was to win something HOF worthy I would wait until after the affy was sent back and I had prize in hand before I posted it on here.

Oreo107
January 2nd, 2007, 4:47pm
It's not really won until you're holding it in your hands. I think most say "I can't say" not because of legalities it's more they don't wan to jinx the win. My opinion!