PDA

View Full Version : Did Online Kill Snail Mail?

retellingstories
December 30th, 2006, 4:37pm
I was just thinking about this program that I saw when I was a kid (most likely late 80's early 90's) about this snail mail sweeper who was literally overwhelmed with prizes. They showed her daily mailbox which was crammed and overflowing, and her house was piled high to the ceiling with boxes from sponsors and distro centers. They went over some of her wins, which were everything from cars, trips, electronics, etc, and asked her how she won so often. She just said she mailed away for contests and won ALL THE TIME.

This was, to my recolection, about 15-18 years ago. The WWW was not up and running, and snail mailing it was about the only way to do national contests. I can only assume sweeping was not anywhere as popular as it is now. I think about this woman from time to time and wonder if she still snail mails it, switched to internet, or just gave up sweeping after the dawn of the internet made it so popular.

Do a lot of people still snail mail it, or has it gone the way of Beta, VHS and Tapes???

I would think now people would exclusively enter online, mainly due to its free and so quick.

Do you still snail mail?

guruwan2b
December 30th, 2006, 4:47pm
Last New Year's Eve I vowed to snail mail sweeps. I did for the first 6 months. Never saw a win. In the last few months I did some more snails, but I don't have high hopes of any big wins.

stan1162
December 30th, 2006, 4:55pm
About 10 years ago, I was on a flight from Boston to LA. I was upgraded to first class and sat next to a kid about 18 years old. He was flying on tickets his uncle won from doing sweeps. He told me how successful he was at doing them. Spent about 200.00 per month, very orgainzed, won about 3 cars a year, lots of trips, all kinds of stuff. Mainly the sweeps were from the Sunday grocery circulars! You would have thought I would have run right home and got started. Nope, stupid me!

I think it was a kind of small group of really smart people who did it religiously, and understood the whole investment (gotta spend money to make money) thing. Oh well, I cannot complain. Have had an EXCELLENT year (don't think it will ever be duplicated, a 50K+ win)so anythin after that is gravy!

The Grandma
December 30th, 2006, 5:03pm
I sure don't snail as much as I used to.

willows00
December 30th, 2006, 5:07pm
Last New Year's Eve I vowed to snail mail sweeps. I did for the first 6 months. Never saw a win. In the last few months I did some more snails, but I don't have high hopes of any big wins.

me too. i gave myself about 6 months and won less than i do online so i figure why waste the money. i'll stick to here!

KChele
December 30th, 2006, 5:13pm
All of my entries are online.I'm too lazy and I can't afford stamps. :laugh: I think there are plenty of people who still do snail mails though because they know they have a greater chance of winning, thanks to lazy people like me.

bidred73
December 30th, 2006, 5:14pm
The last big win from snail mail for me was in the 90's. Once I got a computer and began hunting on sites for contests, my postage costs went way down. That was kind of a deciding factor for me.

My mom on the other hand does every entry snail mail and actually wins more than I do. She even makes her own envelopes from wallpaper.

I think snail mail is down but not out !

venus_de_milo
December 30th, 2006, 5:19pm
I do snails, but I am thinking of letting my newsletter subscription lapse. I follow her (the newsletter writer's) recommendations, but find I win a LOT more through onlines than through snails. Snails aren't totally dead, but I think there's a lot more "bang for buck" with the onlines.

Bshaw75015
December 30th, 2006, 5:27pm
:halo: I agree that snail mail is losing the race. It's something like the old refund system that was based on UPC's and gave money & free products years ago. That's also disappeared. I remember the snail mail fondly though since I won a trip for ten days to Hawaii for ten people and we all had a blast in 1989. Too bad I can't seem to win those big prizes anymore but congrats to all of you that are able to and I'll keep trying!

jjarvis
December 30th, 2006, 5:34pm
I pay all of my bills online, but I use postal mail more now that I started sweepstakes as a hobby.

jellosheriff
December 30th, 2006, 5:37pm
My biggest win was from a snail. It was an in-store/online/snail entry and it was my snail entry that won the GP. Of course, it was also a regional sweep- less competition.

Maineiac
December 30th, 2006, 5:37pm
This topic reminds me of the 1979 Buggles hit "Video Killed the Radio Star". Yikes, I'm showing my age...

Here it is on youtube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cmjuGIVyP4Q

Video killed the radio star

I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two
Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.

Oh-a oh

They took the credit for your second symphony.
Rewritten by machine and new technology,
and now I understand the problems you can see.

Oh-a oh
I met your children
Oh-a oh
What did you tell them?

Video killed the radio star.
Pictures came and broke your heart.

waawab
December 30th, 2006, 5:41pm
I rarely snail mail

teechbiz
December 30th, 2006, 5:59pm
lots and lots. i also used to do lots of radio contests when i lived in dc. don't do that so much anymore though. I recently began snailing again but on a much smaller and more targeted scale.

grimmouse
December 30th, 2006, 6:15pm
i do both online and snail mail entries and consistently win prizes...besides the fact that i find snail mailing very relaxing and cathartic.

figgyfigg
December 30th, 2006, 6:25pm
I'm a snail-a-holic. I'm leaving in 3 weeks for a trip to Antigua I won on a one time snail entry. I win more with online sweeps but I win bigger prizes with snails.

sunnydays
December 30th, 2006, 6:25pm
I used to do snail sweeps a lot in the past -- tried everything everyone suggested about fancy envies, etc but I ended up spending way more in stamps & supplies than I ever won. and yes, I do think online is killing snail sweeps.

inspiringmind
December 30th, 2006, 6:41pm
I have never done snail mail, but I have thought about doing envelopes next year for the McDonalds sweepstakes they have every year. I found out that the $6.00 that I spend McD's for food to get 4 stickers could be 14 through the mail. I do think that the internet has killed snail mail sweeps. But since it is so easy to them online and doesn't cost me anymore then what I am already paying for internet I just think it is worth it.

ksmith47
December 30th, 2006, 7:07pm
I snail mail. I told myself that I would give it a year and see how I did and I've won some stuff.

I still win more from online entries, just because there are so many compared to snail mail entry only sweeps. But percentage wise, I think I win more from snail mail sweeps.

I like that a lot of people don't snail mail.....it gives me a better chance at winning!

I'm so busy at work, I now find it hard to find the time to do more snail mail entries. Heck, I have a hard time with my online entries too when I'm working a lot!

Good luck, everyone! :gvibes:

meeeee
December 30th, 2006, 7:10pm
I believe online makes it easier and more people can enter which makes chances less

there are still snail mails out there

you are right that the prizes are coming less because of all the competiton

Globug_47
December 30th, 2006, 7:13pm
When I first started sweeping.... snail mail was the only way that you could enter.

I remember sitting down for hours on end, filling out those 3X5's, licking envelopes and stamps. :worry:

I remember winning a secondary prize in a sweep and getting sent a Gatorade "Squeeze" bottle. And then they just kept showing up in the mail.... and showing up ..... and showing up! I think when everything was said and done, I had like 17 "squeeze" bottles!

I've often thought to myself that on-line sweeping was "killing" snail mail but it's a lot easier for me to do online entries.

Does it decrease my odds? Probably. But I look at it this way..... at least my name is in there! :laugh:

sheila10253
December 30th, 2006, 7:33pm
I seem to win equally from borh! So I will continue to do both.Besides I have lots of free time,gotta fill it some way!

Pamhoff
December 30th, 2006, 7:50pm
About 15 years ago, I quit smoking and needed a hobby to keep my hands busy. I heard about sweepstaking and subscribed to a newsletter called "Rags to Riches" that came about 3 times a month. Enter a LOT! I had a budget of about $60 to $100/month for stamps. I won pretty steadily.

Then I got married, had a baby and quit working - the $ wasn't there anymore to buy stamps so I stopped for a few years.

Then I found online-sweepstakes and was stunned that a lot of winning was going on online. I was hooked again and have been a premium member for a long time.

I still enter a few sails, but probably 90% are online. Pam

OXOTUHAL
December 30th, 2006, 7:57pm
I think online sweeps are more abundant, but as long as snail mail sweeps exist, I will continue to enter those snails!

I've definitely won a greater number of prizes from online sweeps, but my biggest wins have come from my snail mail entries.

Good luck! :)

unclebill
December 30th, 2006, 9:16pm
Been sweeping via snail mail since 1978. Still snail mail sweep to the tune of ~$100/month in stamps.

Have been sweeping on line since 2003.

Snail sweeps have been more productive for me. Last snail mail win was a $1000 check in Oct '06 from a McDonald's customer satisfaction sweep that was snail only.

My on-line wins are small and few. Too many people entering on-line, thus very bad odds for winning.

Just my personal experience.

trendmaven
December 30th, 2006, 9:31pm
I do both snail and online and I think I enjoy snailing a lot more. My biggest win has been from a snail. I have yet to win anything big from online entries yet.

retellingstories
December 30th, 2006, 9:49pm
I don't think that the time and effort would turn me off as much as the cost of stamps. Soon we'll be creeping to 50 cents a stamp, which is too rich for my blood. However, if there was a snail mail I couldn't pass up, I'd totally give in!

anine
December 30th, 2006, 9:55pm
Did Online Kill Snail Mail?

Did Video kill the radio star?

Technological Evolution...its unavoidable.

djr58
December 30th, 2006, 10:03pm
I rarely snail mail...t's much much easier to enter online.
I think snail mail entries may have ebbed over the years, but I'd be surprised to see them phase out completely. Still plenty of people out there who prefer that method of entry and hey, more power to them. :gvibes:

Me, I prefer the ease of click and submit online entries. Can't say I win a ton, but I'm very happy with what I do win :)

hammonds
December 30th, 2006, 10:05pm
I learned of sweeping years ago from a true snail mailer who had won lots and lots of prizes. I think that there are more and more sweeps and more and more people are able to enter now online (face it, snail-ing costs money!) I think it's harder to win than it used to be and I wonder if a sweeps is only snail mail if you have a better chance because most of us don't enter those anymore. hmmm thoughts to ponder.

Janir
December 30th, 2006, 11:08pm
i do both online and snail mail entries and consistently win prizes...besides the fact that i find snail mailing very relaxing and cathartic.

I find it relaxing, too, it's much more satisfying than just clicking a mouse.

This is the first year I've won more online than snail.

Jinxed One
December 30th, 2006, 11:14pm
ive been snail mailing a little over a year now. got my biggest win from a snail mail. better odds and chances atleast in my case of winning from snails, won more from it that way than with online. alot more competition with online sweeping,everyone does it nowadays..

Canuckgirl
December 30th, 2006, 11:17pm
This topic reminds me of the 1979 Buggles hit "Video Killed the Radio Star". Yikes, I'm showing my age...

Here it is on youtube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cmjuGIVyP4Q

Video killed the radio star

I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two
Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.

Oh-a oh

They took the credit for your second symphony.
Rewritten by machine and new technology,
and now I understand the problems you can see.

Oh-a oh
I met your children
Oh-a oh
What did you tell them?

Pictures came and broke your heart.

That is sooo funny! As soon as I looked at this thread - that song popped into my head! I love that song!!! Woohoo!

R2D2U2
December 30th, 2006, 11:41pm
I do both. I have won from both snails and on-line. I think you have a better chance at hitting snails as fewer people tend to send them in than on-line. But there are less snail contest now that the internet is so popular. If there is only a mail in option on a sweepstakes I always enter.
That is just my opinion. I did my own little survey from magazine contests for a couple of years. One month doing on-line and the next month doing snails. I always seem to win more often when I did the snails with the magazine contests than when I did them on-line.

jafarhie
December 30th, 2006, 11:44pm
I started snailing a few months ago because online entries were getting stale. For some reason snailing got me all excited again. I only bought one roll of stamps, subscribed to an exclusive snail newsletter, and bought a few other supplies.

I haven't won anything from the particular newsletter, but someone posted a local snail here and I won a nice prize. I've given up on snailing nationally but don't mind entering locally or by region. Also I like requesting codes for certain instants because it seems the odds are pretty good on those.

Janir
December 31st, 2006, 12:02am
Believe it or not there are still some die-hards that do snail only. And many others that prefer snails. So I'm thinking that the few snail-only sweeps are hit super-hard by those peeps.

On another site there are some who send in 100's, even 1000's, of snail entries. Both methods are super-competitive now, I'm constantly surprised that I win ANYTHING!