PDA

View Full Version : Need squash casserole recipe

asilasil777
December 29th, 2006, 9:10pm
I need a summer (yellow, crooked neck) squash casserole recipe that can be frozen and baked later and be just as wonderful as if I had just made it. I am a sqash casserole feind and I just can't seem to get it at restaurants or get friends/family to make it often enough so I want to make small servings that I can cook up when ever I get the craving. I just don't know what will freeze well Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ashton7
December 29th, 2006, 9:49pm
I don't know how well this will freeze because I've never tried freezing it, but this is a recipe I have made all my life and loved ... it's really easy.

You just cook the yellow squash with chopped onions until tender. You can also mix in zuchini, if you like. Salt and pepper to taste. Then you put it in a casserole dish and cover it with colby or cheddar cheese and put it in the oven at 350 until the cheese is nice and melted. Usually I broil it for a few minutes at the end to get the cheese nice and brown on the top.

I have another squash recipe from the old Highland Park cafeteria in Dallas, TX (where I grew up). I'll dig it up for you.

BlueIrishEyes
December 29th, 2006, 10:00pm
I sautee yellow squash and onions in butter until cooked. Mix in cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper and a dash of worchestershire sauce. Bake until bubbly, remove from oven and add some finely grated cheddar cheese-broil 5-10 minutes until cheese is bubbling and very lightly browned.

Have never frozen it though.

I also have one for zuchini that does freeze well if you are interested.

Fidget
December 29th, 2006, 10:08pm
never have froze it but here ya go

4 cups sliced yellow squash and zucchini
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1/3 cup water
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup reduced fat milk
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
1 cup walnuts, diced
1 TBSP roast garlic puree
2 tablespoons butter

cookware: Large microwave safe bowl, medium bowl, 9x11 baking dish, small bowl, foil

cook time: 30 - 35 minutes

temp: 400

servings: 8

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place squash, zucchini, onion and water in a large microwave safe bowl. Cook until squash is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well. In a medium bowl blend shredded cheese, eggs, reduced fat milk, light sour cream, salt and pepper. Add mixture to Squash and zucchini. Spread mixture into 9 x 11 cooking pan. In a small bowl mix 1 cup walnuts with roasted garlic puree; then spread the mixture on top of the squash and zucchini. Cover pan with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil covering and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

mamma7
December 29th, 2006, 10:13pm
Squash Casserole

2 lbs squash
1 medium onion
1 pkg stove top stuffing
8 oz sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
butter

Cut up squash and onion and cook until tender. In a bowl mix together sour cream, cheddar cheese, milk, eggs, and mushroom soup. Stir until fully mixed then add stuffing and squash and onion. Put into a greased casserole dish. Put pats of butter all around. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden grown.

This is my all time favorite Squash Casserole. I don't know how well it freezes because it never makes it that far. I bet it would freeze though. I think you'll like this.

Becky

asilasil777
December 30th, 2006, 12:01am
Thanks guys I'll give it a try. I'm going to get some smallish foil pans tomorrow and the ingredients. I think Kroger has the squash $1 lb this week. The plan is to borrow sissy's seal a meal contraption and hope that makes a difference in how well it keeps in the freezer so I can indulge my squash casserole passion. It's sometimes hard to get to eat the things you want when you live alone. No sense in making a casserole when you can only eat so much of it at one time. I hope it freezes well.