PDA

View Full Version : No Mail On Tuesday.......

Nickcoty
December 29th, 2006, 1:04pm
Due to the funeral of Gerald Ford.

Vanessappppp
December 29th, 2006, 1:13pm
Thier is no mail monday for new year.

trishh1
December 29th, 2006, 1:18pm
Now that just sux swamp water, Now I know how my husband felt when he found out that the stock market would be closed on Tuesday....I guess we will spend the day going to the movies

crazy2winstuff
December 29th, 2006, 1:22pm
Darn...but I understand.

bomar97
December 29th, 2006, 1:23pm
Wow, it really truly will be a loooong weekend!

tamiwami
December 29th, 2006, 1:25pm
I don't remember that when Ronald Reagan died.

crazy2winstuff
December 29th, 2006, 1:30pm
I don't either.

epiphany327
December 29th, 2006, 1:32pm
:mad2:

Lisa03
December 29th, 2006, 1:32pm
CNN is reporting that it is true

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/29/ford.obit/index.html

NEW: U.S. Postal Service will suspend mail service next Tuesday

dopey
December 29th, 2006, 1:34pm
I've gotten kind of used to not getting mail. With thre blizzard I don't expect anyone to knock on the door with a package, so now I'm not let down at the end of the day when nobody does.

inspiringmind
December 29th, 2006, 1:34pm
:mad2: I swear the federal government just comes up with reasons to get another day off. I understand why, but still...on the other hand when they come back to work on Wednesday they are going to have to play serious catch up, then they are all going to be annoyed with all the mail they have to deliver.

Vanessappppp
December 29th, 2006, 1:38pm
No mail from sunday to Wednesday.

MiNiKE
December 29th, 2006, 1:38pm
Before sweeping were we all this excited about mail? :rofl3:

Heck no! Before sweeping it was usually bills.

crazy2winstuff
December 29th, 2006, 1:40pm
So, Wednesday, we will be getting alot of mail. Actually, everyone else will. My mail delivery will be light.

MarlaKay
December 29th, 2006, 1:40pm
OH NO! I can't survive that long with no mail! OK there still is UPS and Fed Ex.

noey718
December 29th, 2006, 1:48pm
I reallly can't understand it, no disrespect to President Ford, but are all the postal workers going to his funeral?? Then everyone should have the day off. I really don't understand it. I really never get any mail anyway but I really don't get it. Some of you said that you understand it, but seriously I don't get why they are getting the day off. I would understand it if they were going to the funeral but other than that, I don't get it. Did I mention I don't get it? :gvibes:

venus_de_milo
December 29th, 2006, 1:50pm

Maybe you've slept since then. :laugh:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/06/reagan.main2/index.html

The National Day of Mourning for Reagan was June 11, 2004.

venus_de_milo
December 29th, 2006, 1:50pm
I reallly can't understand it, no disrespect to President Ford, but are all the postal workers going to his funeral?? Then everyone should have the day off.

All federal employees have the day off, not just postal workers. And it's because the government offices are being closed in his honor, not because they seriously expect all the employees to go to the funeral.

noey718
December 29th, 2006, 1:56pm
All federal employees have the day off, not just postal workers. And it's because the government offices are being closed in his honor, not because they seriously expect all the employees to go to the funeral.
Oh okay, I thought only the postal workers, i guess I should read the article before posting :laugh:

Sweepsr4me
December 29th, 2006, 2:02pm
All federal employees have the day off...um, well most but not all do.

Does that mean that the airports/trains/cruise/all transportation industries will then also be closed in honor of the late President Ford? Would stand to resaon that they'd have to, if the TSA won't be working. I guess the borders will be shutting down too. This could go on and on.

I do not mean any disrepect at all, so please do not look for any here, you won't find any. I just don't understand why certain federal employees automatically get the day off when there are thousands others that will still have to put on the uniform and a smile.

Lisa03
December 29th, 2006, 2:04pm
since we have to suffer no mail days for 2 days in a row, I say we all should get Affys on Wednesday :gvibes: ok, it was a thought :laugh:

142connismith
December 29th, 2006, 2:11pm
Before sweeping I would cringe at the mailbox, know I run like a dog in heat to get there :laugh:

tamiwami
December 29th, 2006, 2:28pm
Maybe you've slept since then. :laugh:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/06/reagan.main2/index.html

The National Day of Mourning for Reagan was June 11, 2004.

OH, I wasn't sweeping then so I probably didn't care if I got mail or not. :laugh: Actually, I was probably glad since it meant less bills for that day.

dopey
December 29th, 2006, 2:41pm
Anyone know about jury duty? Not federal court, so they probably still go, but both of my son's got called for 01/02/07. It was kind of funny, my oldest was teasing my youngest because he got a summons and then went home and found a summons in his mailbox and called up griping because he has to go. LOL At lest they can go together.

Think I'll check the courthouse website and see if it says anything.

missreneer
December 29th, 2006, 2:50pm
Before sweeping I would cringe at the mailbox, know I run like a dog in heat to get there :laugh:
:laugh:

jellosheriff
December 29th, 2006, 2:52pm
since we have to suffer no mail days for 2 days in a row, I say we all should get Affys on Wednesday :gvibes: ok, it was a thought :laugh:

I think this is the best idea yet.

venus_de_milo
December 29th, 2006, 2:55pm
All federal employees have the day off...um, well most but not all do.

Sorry about that, you are right. If your agency is considered essential public business, then things are operating as normal.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/12/20061228-3.html

Jinxed One
December 29th, 2006, 3:05pm
no mail on my birthday? well that just sucks big timE! i dont even think i was around when ford was president, but R.I.P to him.

jellosheriff
December 29th, 2006, 3:18pm
no mail on my birthday? well that just sucks big timE! i dont even think i was around when ford was president, but R.I.P to him.

Happy un-birthday! :gvibes:

Kiana
December 29th, 2006, 3:33pm
You're a life saver. I had no idea! It's not just mail. I called the bank and found out their closed too!!! So far, State offices here aren't closing yet, but I'm checking back later since I had so much business to transact on Tuesday.

***Rushed to the bank before closing and was told it would be open...so am not sure now. But at least I got it all done!

Canuckgirl
December 29th, 2006, 3:34pm
I'm hoping us Canadians aren't affected. I don't think we have recognized those sorts of things int he past? Not sure. Our postal system sucks enough already, don't give them another day off!

lifesfun
December 29th, 2006, 3:40pm
I have really REALLY bad mail service. The carriers take off any day they want anyway, holiday or not.

I've complained through USPS website and it helps for maybe a week, but then back to the same old, same old. Sometimes they don't deliver at all, deliver it to the lady across the street, leave the mail in one big pile on the floor for the tenants in our apt. to sort through, rather then put it in the appropriate box. When they do get it in the mailbox, they stuff it so full, and put magazines in there that they are ripped to shreds when I take them out. I've found my mail mixed in with junk mail on the floor. If the landlord comes by and sees junk mail on the floor they just throw it all away, so I have to keep on top of it.

When I go into this post office in person to mail anything, they have attitudes, all of them so I instead go to the post office in the next town because they are really nice there. They need to fire them all and start from scratch. I wish I lived somewhere else.

Thanks for allowing me to get this off my chest. I feel much better now. LOL.

beckpal
December 29th, 2006, 3:46pm
What a bummer, three days with no mail delivery. :frown3: I really haven't gotten much in the mail lately but that doesn't stop me from hoping.

bomar97
December 29th, 2006, 4:03pm
no mail on my birthday? well that just sucks big timE! .

:laugh: :laugh: Sent a BD card to my cousin who's BD is the 2nd.. expecting it to get there on Tuesday... Guess not!

Hygeia
December 29th, 2006, 4:29pm
I'm glad that I saw this thread because I was planning on going to the post office Tuesday to submit my forms to get a passport. I have Monday and Tuesday off, but I guess it looks like now I'll have to take a day off work to take care of my passport stuff.

Fins2thrite
December 29th, 2006, 4:36pm
When I heard this, I was like..umm..did he play some major part in the postal service? Then why would they be closed?

I reallly can't understand it, no disrespect to President Ford, but are all the postal workers going to his funeral?? Then everyone should have the day off. I really don't understand it. I really never get any mail anyway but I really don't get it. Some of you said that you understand it, but seriously I don't get why they are getting the day off. I would understand it if they were going to the funeral but other than that, I don't get it. Did I mention I don't get it? :gvibes:

Diggn4Gold
December 29th, 2006, 4:36pm
I work for a University that is tied pretty closely to President Ford (see http://www.collegegridirons.com/cusa/GeraldFordStadium.htm) but I think if I had to stay home one more day with hubby & the kids...I would go nuts!!

As far as mail goes, well, I will miss it but I am sure my mailbox will be stuffed full by Wednesday and please, Lord...NO BILLS!

kidsareus
December 29th, 2006, 4:40pm
Somehow, I just don't think someone like Gerald Ford would approve of shutting everything down like this. From what I understand, Ford was a fiscal conservative.
Shutting everything down (costing the American taxpayers more money in the long run) and making things more frustrating for us common folk doesn't seem to the proper way to honor someone like Ford.

And when it comes to the mail, while most of us here love the mail for what it might bring to us, there are still lots of people who rely on the mail to get their bills paid on time. I can't even imagine how much the credit cards companies are going to gain in late fees now because of this surprise closure.

(From a recent Detroit News story: "But make no mistake about it, Ford was a fiscal conservative. During his first 14 months as president, he vetoed 39 spending measures he said would add to the nation's mushrooming budget deficit. Those vetoes were usually upheld.")

fastfreddie1959
December 29th, 2006, 4:40pm
To screw everybody's life up. :mad2:

Jerrysgirl
December 29th, 2006, 4:53pm
Are schools going to be closed or open that day? :sherlock:

Miki
December 29th, 2006, 4:58pm
No mail Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. :nokiss:

All kidding aside, it's understandable.

Miki
December 29th, 2006, 4:59pm
Are schools going to be closed or open that day? :sherlock:

My kids are out until the 8th, ugh argh, *pulling hair out* They have been out since the 20th!

triple*eee
December 29th, 2006, 5:03pm
:mad2:

Luvs2Win
December 29th, 2006, 5:05pm
Just look at it this way, there will more mail on Wednesday. :)

S8R8L33
December 29th, 2006, 5:08pm
you just have to go with out mail on tuesday but half of my city will be closed :frown3:

triple*eee
December 29th, 2006, 5:08pm
Just look at it this way, there will more mail on Wednesday. :)

Yes and delivered MUCH later. They are always late when they have to play catch up

meeeee
December 29th, 2006, 5:19pm

my SIL works for the goverment they had the day off when Ronald Regan died too

Jerrysgirl
December 29th, 2006, 5:21pm
***I thought banks couldn't be closed for more then two days in a row (due to the stock-market crash in the 20's? :sherlock:) Please educate me.... :laugh:

Terigirl
December 29th, 2006, 5:27pm
Wow! I hadn't heard that...thanks for passing it on! Well, I guess my mailbox will be crammed on Wed....I get so much junk mail it's not even funny. I don't remember that from other former presidents death's, but that doesn't mean much...my memory is like that of a gnat.

arouet
December 29th, 2006, 5:31pm
Why would banks be closed? They aren't part of the government.

bjdotson
December 29th, 2006, 5:39pm
To screw everybody's life up. :mad2:

That is just uncalled for. Perhaps you should check you facts before going off half-cocked.
Every President that has died in the last 50 years has had a national day of mourning where all federal employees got the day off. Bush did not start this tradition, he is just continuing it.

Georgie Girl
December 29th, 2006, 6:04pm
my SIL works for the goverment they had the day off when Ronald Regan died too

Yep, it was exactly the same when Reagan died and even Nixon.

Vanosa
December 29th, 2006, 6:09pm
Thanks for the tip- I've got at least 2 snail sweeps which have to be postmarked by 1/2/07; now I'll know to send the rest of 'em in tomorrow! GLTA- Vanessa

gamblerx17
December 29th, 2006, 6:27pm
:shock: oh *bleep* I'd better get my cc bill in the mail tomorrow!

SeaofSapphires
December 29th, 2006, 6:42pm
:twocents: I don't see how govt offices being closed and giving those
certain people the day off is a way of honoring anyone. As they sleep
in and go shopping I'm sure they'll be thinking of President Ford.

I think a nice televised tribute when EVERYONE else gets home from work
would be better. I mean a NATIONAL day of mourning would mean
we ALL get the day off in the USA and that doesn't happen.

Just my 2 cents...no one quote me! Got it! :laugh:

OKgirl
December 29th, 2006, 6:52pm
:mad2: I swear the federal government just comes up with reasons to get another day off. I understand why, but still...on the other hand when they come back to work on Wednesday they are going to have to play serious catch up, then they are all going to be annoyed with all the mail they have to deliver.

No kidding. 3 days in a row? :mad2: Wonder if some people won't be able to buy groceries because they can't get their paychecks. Or if some people get late fees on their bills because the bills are taking longer to get to their mailbox? Blah. They're just making this harder on the postal workers, they're gonna have a buttload of mail to deliver on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

motherogod
December 29th, 2006, 6:57pm
I know, and I don't have to work since I'm a State slave! I'm really into watching funerals of diplomats and such, so even though there's no mail, I'll be having a time.

Llamalovr
December 29th, 2006, 6:58pm
Just an FYI, I heard the Denver Post Office was closed again due another major winter storm and so are quite a few others in the area. You may want to mail some things sooner that you normally would, so they have time to arrive at their destination.

dopey
December 29th, 2006, 7:06pm
I'm in Denver and got mail today, didn't thini we would, but he was kind enough to stop by and drop off an ad from H & R Block.

I keep thinking all the backlog is going to come at once and all I get is one ad. :(

tombkeeper
December 29th, 2006, 8:26pm
Yes the US Post Office will be closed on Tuesday, January 2. I don't know if that means FedEx, UPS, and the other delivery services are closed. I'm sure a few contest winners will get notified from one of these companies that they are a Grand Prize winner on January 2, 2007.

waawab
December 29th, 2006, 8:34pm
love it

MissContestJunki
December 30th, 2006, 12:35am
:mad2: :mad2: :worry: :frown3: :type:

kakes
December 30th, 2006, 1:02am
ah, the letter carriers for starters are p*ssed off beyond with this forced closure THE DAY AFTER A HOLIDAY. Mail still MOVES on Sundays even though it is not delivered. Every Monday is the heaviest day of the week with TWO days to deliver. Add no mail on Monday for New Years and no mail on Tuesday = Day of National Respect, to a normal mail day Wednesday and we are now talking FOUR DAYS OF MAIL to be CASED and delivered in one day. To top it all off, Tuesday = Day of National Respect is a day off WITH PAY. Wednesday will be a HUGE overtime pay out day. This is going to cost the postal service a bundle, for DAYS ON END of OT to catch up. They AGREE to a National Day of RESPECT but NOT the day after a holiday when they were already going to be hammered.

dopey
December 30th, 2006, 1:12am
ah, the letter carriers for starters are p*ssed off beyond with this forced closure THE DAY AFTER A HOLIDAY. Mail still MOVES on Sundays even though it is not delivered. Every Monday is the heaviest day of the week with TWO days to deliver. Add no mail on Monday for New Years and no mail on Tuesday = Day of National Respect, to a normal mail day Wednesday and we are now talking FOUR DAYS OF MAIL to be CASED and delivered in one day. To top it all off, Tuesday = Day of National Respect is a day off WITH PAY. Wednesday will be a HUGE overtime pay out day. This is going to cost the postal service a bundle, for DAYS ON END of OT to catch up. They AGREE to a National Day of RESPECT but NOT the day after a holiday when they were already going to be hammered.
And to top it all off you had darn well better get the Social Security checks out there on time for folks to get them in the bank on Wednesday.

triple*eee
December 30th, 2006, 4:05pm
I only get bills anyway :laugh:

msbabedoll
December 30th, 2006, 4:07pm
I dont think it matters much for me, I havn't won anything good in so long! LOL

Scooterino
December 30th, 2006, 4:17pm
WHAT????? How lame. I certainly don't get the day off work to "mourn" Gerald Ford, and I work in State government. How am I going to go for 3 days without mail?????????? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!! :worry:

Cybrlee
December 30th, 2006, 4:19pm
So what about UPS and FEDEX... will they still be available? Is there still some hope for us?

jolee62
December 30th, 2006, 4:28pm
:frown3:

lotusgirl
December 30th, 2006, 4:33pm
This is real. Check here for the press release from the USPS:

http://www.usps.com/communications/news/press/welcome.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact: 202-268-2155
News Release #06-091
December 29, 2006

NO REGULAR MAIL DELIVERY OR RETAIL SERVICE ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 2
Federal agencies will honor the memory of former President Ford

WASHINGTON, DC There will be no regular mail delivery or retail services at Post Offices on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2007, as the Postal Service is closing to observe the national day of mourning for President Gerald R. Ford. The decision follows an Executive Order issued by President Bush that independent federal agencies close as a mark of respect for the former president who died Dec. 26. Express Mail deliveries will be made on Jan. 2. Regular retail and delivery service will resume Wednesday, Jan. 3.

arouet
December 30th, 2006, 4:47pm
So what about UPS and FEDEX... will they still be available? Is there still some hope for us?

UPS is still showing that they are working Tuesday.

Sunday Dec 31 Only *UPS SonicAir is available. Call 1-800-451-4550.
Monday Jan 1 Only *UPS SonicAir is available. Call 1-800-451-4550.
Tuesday Jan 2 All services are available.
http://www.pressroom.ups.com/holiday/calendar

Fed Ex is showing all services except Fed Ex Home Delivery open on Tues. :rolleyes: But if they send it Fed Ex same day, that's still delivering and I assume that would mean being delivered anywhere.

http://www.fedex.com/us/holiday/shipping/holidayschedule.html?link=4

DHL doesn't show anything on their Holiday Schedule page after Jan 1. so I assume that everything goes back to normal on Tuesday the second.
http://www.dhl-usa.com/USSvcs/holidayschedule.asp?nav=FindServInfo/USHol

Plus we know that the phone and e-mail will be working so we can still be notified of wins. So it's not as dire as it looks. I'd be sweating it if I were a postal carrier though. My heart goes out to all of you. Sometimes a day off, especially in this situation, isn't worth what you have to deal with the next day.

dark_zino
December 30th, 2006, 5:21pm
No kidding. 3 days in a row? :mad2: Wonder if some people won't be able to buy groceries because they can't get their paychecks. Or if some people get late fees on their bills because the bills are taking longer to get to their mailbox? Blah. They're just making this harder on the postal workers, they're gonna have a buttload of mail to deliver on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

Actually, if they're anything like the postal workers in my area, it means they'll just be 4 days behind on sorting the mail instead of 3.

corysmom
December 30th, 2006, 5:31pm
I live south of Denver and we haven't gotten mail since Thursday because of the 2nd blizzard to hit us.

That will make FIVE straight days without mail service for me!!

I know that the post office still hasn't caught up from the 1st blizzard. Let's see that was Wednesday the 20th - no mail that day or Thursday or Friday. Had mail on Saturday the 23rd (Wednesdays paper) No mail on the 24th or 25th. Had mail on the 26, 27 & 28th mostly flyers.

Out of 15 days, I only received mail on 4 of them!!

I miss my mail!! :cry:

tledbetter
December 30th, 2006, 5:50pm
I gotta get me a guv-ment job!!!

arouet
December 30th, 2006, 6:06pm
I live south of Denver and we haven't gotten mail since Thursday because of the 2nd blizzard to hit us.

That will make FIVE straight days without mail service for me!!

I know that the post office still hasn't caught up from the 1st blizzard. Let's see that was Wednesday the 20th - no mail that day or Thursday or Friday. Had mail on Saturday the 23rd (Wednesdays paper) No mail on the 24th or 25th. Had mail on the 26, 27 & 28th mostly flyers.

Out of 15 days, I only received mail on 4 of them!!

I miss my mail!! :cry:

You have my complete and utter sympathy. :frown3:

scoobydoo
December 30th, 2006, 6:30pm
NO REGULAR MAIL DELIVERY OR RETAIL SERVICE ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 2
Federal agencies will honor the memory of former President Ford

WASHINGTON, DC There will be no regular mail delivery or retail services at Post Offices on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2007, as the Postal Service is closing to observe the national day of mourning for President Gerald R. Ford. The decision follows an Executive Order issued by President Bush that independent federal agencies close as a mark of respect for the former president who died Dec. 26. Express Mail deliveries will be made on Jan. 2. Regular retail and delivery service will resume Wednesday, Jan. 3.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON Mail service will be suspended Tuesday, the U.S. Postal Service announced.

President Bush has ordered federal agencies to close that day out of respect for the memory of former President Gerald R. Ford.

The post office said there will be no regular mail deliveries or retail service at offices. Normal mail service will resume Wednesday, Jan. 3.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/28/AR2006122800917.html

FaithHopeJoy
December 30th, 2006, 6:53pm
:sob:

momof3sons
December 30th, 2006, 7:39pm
That's 2 days in a row with no mail.....

Are banks Federal agencies?

jofo3511
December 30th, 2006, 7:57pm
That's 2 days in a row with no mail.....

Are banks Federal agencies?

Thats 3 days in a row :sob:

epiphany327
December 30th, 2006, 8:01pm
I am definitely going to be in UPS withdrawals :frown3:

Defenderofthefaith
December 30th, 2006, 9:33pm
Man, I can understand honoring the President, but my child support check is already late... :frown3: