PDA

View Full Version : I won but I dont know.....

NewYearNewMe
December 29th, 2006, 11:48am
Hello I won a $520 Gift Certificate to a Japanese Restaurant from the Wall Street Journal 52 pick up sweeps on OLS! Thanks to whoever posted. I did the affy and the lady emailed me that it was recieved. I asked her what place it was and she wrote me back with a place near my home. I had questions like do I have to use this all at once? I mean wow $520 worth of food is alot! She never wrote me back and today I got the gift certificate from a place called Shire in Novi Michigan. Thats way away from me. What can I do? Is this something I can trade or ? I dont mean to look a gifthorse in the mouth but my understanding was that it was here in Flint Mi? Help! Thanks

UPDATED-- I called and there is just one location and it can be broke down but its for one place only.

Tricia316
December 29th, 2006, 11:54am
Congrats.
You could try and trade/sell it on here. You might not get the full amount but you could ask for something like $300 for it.

Usually with restaurant gift cards you don't have to use it all at the same time just keep track of how much is left on it. When it doubt call the restuarant itself and ask them their policy.

Could you give the certificate to a friend or family member that lives in the area?

Why not contact a local charity up in that area to see if they can raffle it off to raise money? Or maybe they could take their volunteers/staff out to dinner as a form of appreciation. If you have a favorite charity/cause chances are there is a local affiliate or group.

Good luck!
Tricia

Tricia316
December 29th, 2006, 11:55am
I forgot to add if you donate it to a charity you may be able to get a donation reciept for tax time!

Let us know what you do with it!
Tricia

NewYearNewMe
December 29th, 2006, 11:59am
Congrats.
You could try and trade/sell it on here. You might not get the full amount but you could ask for something like $300 for it.

Usually with restaurant gift cards you don't have to use it all at the same time just keep track of how much is left on it. When it doubt call the restuarant itself and ask them their policy.

Could you give the certificate to a friend or family member that lives in the area?

Why not contact a local charity up in that area to see if they can raffle it off to raise money? Or maybe they could take their volunteers/staff out to dinner as a form of appreciation. If you have a favorite charity/cause chances are there is a local affiliate or group.

Good luck!
Tricia

How do you trade or sell on here? Thanks

Jessica25
December 29th, 2006, 12:02pm
Congrats!

Did any other winners of this sweep receive their prizes? Still waiting on mine!

Tricia316
December 29th, 2006, 12:03pm
Go to the FORUMS section and there is a "Prize Exchange" section there. You swap at your own risk but everytime I have sold or traded a prize it has gone well. I usually get some sort of mail confirmation so I know the prize gets there if it is big. If it is something small like a free drink coupon I just send it in a regular envelope.

Then once you have completed your half of the trade the person who recieved it can give you a STAR in a thread that keeps track of good traders. That way the more good trades you do the more stars you get.

Tricia

JMC663
December 29th, 2006, 12:08pm
I live about 20 minutes from Novi, I'll meet you there!!! JK, congrats and ENJOY!!!! :jump:

NewYearNewMe
December 29th, 2006, 12:09pm
Go to the FORUMS section and there is a "Prize Exchange" section there. You swap at your own risk but everytime I have sold or traded a prize it has gone well. I usually get some sort of mail confirmation so I know the prize gets there if it is big. If it is something small like a free drink coupon I just send it in a regular envelope.

Then once you have completed your half of the trade the person who recieved it can give you a STAR in a thread that keeps track of good traders. That way the more good trades you do the more stars you get.

Tricia

Thanks for the info. One more question! How do I recieve payment for this item? Paypal or ?

el0554
December 29th, 2006, 12:09pm
I won $600. in Benihana GC's and there were none in my area. I put them on eBay and did quite well-you could do the same. Good luck :royal:

b5fan
December 29th, 2006, 12:11pm
I would contact the resturant directly and ask if they have any resturants any closer to you.
It never hurts to ask. You could also ask if you could purchase smaller increments of GC with what you already have. If nothing else, you could use part of it, and gift the rest to friends and family!

Tricia316
December 29th, 2006, 12:17pm
You could use paypal for payment or a certified check. Most likely you won't get the full value of the prize but a few hundred for something you aren't going to use is a good deal.

Like someone else said, maybe you can find out if there is a closer location.

Tricia

Captain Nemo
December 29th, 2006, 12:18pm
don't be too hasty.
wait till you receive it,
it may be a credit card type gift cert where you use as much as you want each time
or
you may be able to get the restauraunt to exchange it for 10 $50.00 certs.
congrats on the win. :)

irishtwirp
December 29th, 2006, 12:19pm
You posted that the lady emailed you when she received the affy and you asked her where it was and she said it was a place near your home. Did she say a specific location? Or was the answer in general "near your home"? If she named a specific location, I would email her and ask her about it, see if maybe you can exchange it for one that is closer preferrably within 15-30 miles.

Tricia316
December 29th, 2006, 12:23pm
I read the OP as they have already recieved the gift card and it has the location on it.
Tricia

NewYearNewMe
December 29th, 2006, 12:27pm
You posted that the lady emailed you when she received the affy and you asked her where it was and she said it was a place near your home. Did she say a specific location? Or was the answer in general "near your home"? If she named a specific location, I would email her and ask her about it, see if maybe you can exchange it for one that is closer preferrably within 15-30 miles.

She gave me the name of the place that is closer to my home and I said that was fine.

bkang
December 29th, 2006, 12:34pm
I live about 20 minutes from Novi, I'll meet you there!!! JK, congrats and ENJOY!!!! :jump:

Me too! lets meet!!! LOL only kidding - Congratulations on the win! Have tried calling the place to ask them if they have any other locations....

nesta67
December 29th, 2006, 12:35pm
She gave me the name of the place that is closer to my home and I said that was fine.

I would try to contact her again. Maybe the certificate she sent you was mixed up with someone else's. It doesn't hurt to ask! Good luck - - hope it works out for you.

Bassoon2
December 29th, 2006, 1:19pm
I love Japanese food!!!
Did you know it is hard to find JAPANESE people running Japanese restaurants?
Yep the Chinese know what makes money!