PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever won a trip to their own city?

Lorettagrace
December 29th, 2006, 12:35am
I live in NYC, and I often enter sweeps for which the main prize is a trip to NYC. Why? Often there are 2nd or 3rd prizes that I'd really like, and I figure there isn't much chance I'd win the grand prize. Also, I picture myself somehow finagleing the sponsor into letting me have a voucher good for travel somewhere else, or maybe let my good friends from Chicago or DC enjoy the tickets for a visit to me, or just enjoy the hotel with my boyfriend one weekend, something like that. (I hope I don't seem greedy to everyone for entering the sweeps -- I only do if there's something else about the sweeps I really want, like a huge GC or something.)

So, my question is, has anyone ever won a trip to their own city? If so, what ended up happening? :)

POOHSWEEPS
December 29th, 2006, 1:26am
i won a trip to a local posh phoenix resort (no transportation which is fine, i live nearby).. i havent used the two night stay yet, but it does seem awkward to me to go on a "mini vacation" in the same city i live in! the win isnt transferable either, otherwise i would give it to a visiting family member.. :)

cher4sc
December 29th, 2006, 1:38am
I won a trip to LA (I live about 60 miles from there). It came with a huge cash prize, and a trip to the Oscar's Red Carpet Ceremony. While we didn't get the first class airfare, we did get a Limo to and from, and a $60,000 Lexus convertible for a rental!

junebugged
December 29th, 2006, 1:57am
Lorretta, I do the same thing. If the trip is just a trip to NYC, I tend to not enter, but if there are other prizes I do.

It also depends on what the trip to NYC entails....like where would I get to stay and what would I get to do, I have seen that rather than pay for the transportation to the city, sometime the sponser will set up limo service or what not and then adjust the ARV to not include air transportation. (They can pay my NJTransit $3 and my $2 subway fare :laugh: )

This can take a chunk off, while still allowing you to enjoy something you wouldn't normally do. Like stay at the museum overnight :laugh:

Think about it this way... Living here is not a vacation.....but being on vacation here away from your own apartment/house, staying in say 60 Thompson, and getting to do all the things you never do....I could go for that and it would probably feel like I don't live here.

jennem
December 29th, 2006, 8:10am
Yes, we did (NYC). We couldn't transfer it to anyone else. But we enjoyed the hotel, show, meal, and cash they provided, and they removed the cost of airfare from our 1099.

Jennifer

BEARHUGS65
December 29th, 2006, 8:21am
i won a trip to a local posh phoenix resort (no transportation which is fine, i live nearby).. i havent used the two night stay yet, but it does seem awkward to me to go on a "mini vacation" in the same city i live in! the win isnt transferable either, otherwise i would give it to a visiting family member.. :)
YOU COULD ALWAYS CHECK IN AND LET FAMILY STAY

BEARHUGS65
December 29th, 2006, 8:24am
when we lived in vegas we used to spnd one or twonights evey other weekend at a hotel on the strip- our getaway- even with kids- they used to have sitting service and wed walk to circus circu and swim and enjoy eachother all weekend long- I live in a a small town bt even living in nyc I WOULD ENTER AND USE PARTIAL PRIZE

karen4322
December 29th, 2006, 9:29am
I live on the Emerald Coast of Fl and ofter enter for trips to this area (haven't won,yet). We hardly ever make it out to the beach to do the "tourist" things, so a stay on the beach would be wonderful!

tiffnat
December 29th, 2006, 9:36am
I won 2 nights at a hotel and a restaurant dinner in town a few years ago-we used it during Christmas shopping-it was fun!

toydiva65
December 29th, 2006, 9:40am
I just won the Indy 500 Fantasy Weekend Sweepstakes....and I live only 20 minutes from the track! :laugh: But they are still putting me up in a nice hotel and everything!

But I have to say that winning this is a little different from an ordinary trip because I get to see the race from a VIP's standpoint....a Hoosier's dream! So yes, I entered this one for the one and only prize...the trip to Indy! :gvibes:

littlecat123
December 29th, 2006, 9:41am
I would love to win a trip to my own city (or really nearby). It would be like an escape weekend but without all the hub-bub of a long trip. -- You know, stay in a nice hotel, eat out -- I could definitely use that.

Unfortunately, no one is really giving away any trips to Hartford -- but I do enter the ESPN ones with a "trip" to Bristol, CT included!

sheila10253
December 29th, 2006, 9:57am
I enter all the time for trips to the SC coast especially the ones with no transpo.Those are about the only trips I do enter for.We would love a stay at a nice hotel .the only drawback is they usually include golfing and we dont play golf but figure we can skip the golf.

wackydackydoo
December 29th, 2006, 10:17am
I always enter the local trips. A getaway is a getaway even if it's in your own backyard, and the extras are a plus.

Lorettagrace
December 29th, 2006, 10:54am
Thanks, guys! This is helpful info. I think I'll keep entering for those NYC trips. Some of them come with VIP this and VIP that, personal shoppers, stuff like that, and I'm so tempted. :)