PDA

View Full Version : Ethics and sweeps

ilove2win
December 28th, 2006, 11:09pm
I'm curious, does anyone enter contests/sweeps for anyone other than themself? Do you ever enter for your spouse/SO or ___?

Curious since my sister wanted me to enter her because she currently doesn't have internet in her rural home and I declined, now she's a little angry at me about it. I have my reasons for declining but am curious if anyone does this?

zoehunter
December 28th, 2006, 11:19pm
I only enter for myself..and I only enter my one email address...i win enough without cheating..so its all good....I dont have time to enter for anyone else....

However...I do like to give presents..so those around me do reap the rewards..lol...Zoe :supstar:

dragsweep
December 28th, 2006, 11:23pm
I only enter for myself. If there's something that I think someone else might enjoy, I tell them about it and let them decide whether they enter.

If she wants to enter, have her go somewhere with an internet connection (library or other public access point) to enter.

Besides the ethical/moral issues with entering under someone else's name, there's also the fact that there are digital footprints everywhere that could appear to be a cheating attempt on your part.

It's a lot safer to enter as yourself only, under a single e-mail address.

And around OLS, admitting to the practice of entering under other people's names is grounds for public humiliation and verbal abuse, I think. (Almost as bad as saying you won a prize you didn't want)

bumbeeboo
December 28th, 2006, 11:25pm
Once in a blue moon, I will enter my husband for a GPS Sweep. He wants one soo bad but doesn't want to pay for one.
Not a daily though, just a 1x. That is if I remember. :tongue4: So that tells you how often.

HelenR
December 28th, 2006, 11:27pm
I just enter for me. Sometimes I mention one that might be of interest to DD or DH and it's up to them to actually enter themselves.

dopey
December 28th, 2006, 11:44pm
Rarely, but I will be entering ds for the dreamhouse. I don't want to be on TV, so I won't be entering myself.

As far as cheating, someone did it last year and it was okay.

litebulb
December 28th, 2006, 11:47pm
I only use 1 email address & enter for myself. Once in a while I will enter my daughter in a kid contest, if she is intrested in the prize. Other than entering for my daughter occationally, I do not enter for anyone else.

I have never entered for friends or family members. Even if I had time, I wouldn't do it.
They all have the ability to enter for themself. I don't think that most would have the devotion or patience to enter contests daily..although they'd all love to win.

IndyWinner
December 28th, 2006, 11:58pm
I enter either for myself OR for my husband. I enter him for golf stuff or tools, stuff like that. I never enter online for both of us, it's either one or the other. I don't have time to enter for anyone else and don't want to disqualify myself either. Now on snail mails if it is one per person I will sometimes enter for each of us, but not for anyone else. Good luck! :gvibes:

lauramich68
December 29th, 2006, 12:00am
I do but only for my immediate family. If anyone else wants to win they can enter for themselves. What makes them think I have more time to enter than they do? Lots of people ask me to enter for them, I just give them the name of the website and tell them to call if they need help figuring it out. If they don't have internet access at home, there's always the library.

brynnet
December 29th, 2006, 12:02am
i have one email for sweeps only. I have entered a few golf ones in the past for DH, but have stopped as I am not sweeping as much as before. I do enter for my 9 yo DD on some of the kid ones, but really for prizes that I would love to give her as a present. Sorry if that makes me a cheater :worry:

chris73
December 29th, 2006, 12:13am
I also have 1 e-mail address and enter mostly for myself. If I see 1 that I know a Friend of mine would love I tell them about it. I do enter for Dh every now and then (like a Motorcycle since most of the time you have to have a Liscense and you will NEVER get me on a Bike, lol)

Jerrysgirl
December 29th, 2006, 12:15am
I'm curious, does anyone enter contests/sweeps for anyone other than themself? Do you ever enter for your spouse/SO or ___?

Curious since my sister wanted me to enter her because she currently doesn't have internet in her rural home and I declined, now she's a little angry at me about it. I have my reasons for declining but am curious if anyone does this?
...OH NO!!!!! I smell trouble........ :worry: Hot TOPIC!!!!

An answer to your question....I enter only for myself. This hobby is for me. I'm a Mom & I do everything for my family & this is "ONE THING" I don't do for anyone else!!!!
Cheaters wether they think they are cheaters or not are unaware that the cosmic forces will bite them on their butts one day. They'll look rather funny with pie all over their faces :laugh:

flared0ne
December 29th, 2006, 12:47am
You should do a search on this in the forums and you will see countless threads just like this with hundreds of answers. This is one of the most asked questions here. Every person has their own thought on it and really as long as we are entering legally it doesn't matter whether others agree or not. Just my 2 cents It's interesting to see just how many times (i.e. for most sweeps) the rules make reference to "The name of the 'authorized account holder' associated with any given e-mail address will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules."

This statement basically acknowledges that an email address is one step removed from being a legal "name" or "identity" -- and while this generally bears on the issue of more than one person sharing an email address (i.e. in every case the "winner" is going to be "deemed" to be the "authorized account holder"), it does open up an interpretation as to the validity of one person entering for other people -- when they state "will be deemed" it could be successfully argued that they may as well be saying "we understand there is the potential for some ambiguity as to who actually typed in that email address, but we agree that that is okay, we'll deal with it like this..."

This is the kind of thing (back in the day 8^) that used to make my roommates crazy while they were studying Contract Law (etc)...

'Nuf. My :twocents: meter just expired...

jennem
December 29th, 2006, 8:11am

People really vary on their opinions of this.

Personally, I think you did the right thing. I believe that filling in a sweeps entry is like signing a document--it is all about YOU. If you fill it out for someone else, you are passing yourself off as them (unless it's a minor child). I don't think it's ethical to enter for anyone else, even a spouse.

But others strongly disagree!

Jennifer

ilove2win
December 29th, 2006, 9:32am
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. I really like the idea about the entry being one step short of a legal document, that's a good way to look at it.

Terigirl
December 29th, 2006, 5:38pm
I have entered for my son because a sweep or instant is for his age group. I don't consider that cheating. Other than that, I enter 1 email address for myself. I don't have time to enter multiple email addresses for the same sweep/instant.

stan1162
December 29th, 2006, 6:09pm
I'll stay out if its "ethical" or not, but I think it's very forward of your sister to ask you do it. I dont know how many sweeps you enter, but its hard work, Dailies, weeklies, new ones daily. Oy, its hard enough to enter for one. No thank you!! Just the extra work, yuk.

MisConduckt
December 29th, 2006, 6:17pm
I only enter for myself,, anyone else can enter themselves. :)

christian70043
December 29th, 2006, 6:18pm
I usually always enter me then I enter my mom ..

jenninshelby
December 29th, 2006, 10:32pm
I enter for my son..

inspiringmind
December 29th, 2006, 11:47pm
It's interesting to see just how many times (i.e. for most sweeps) the rules make reference to "The name of the 'authorized account holder' associated with any given e-mail address will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules."

This statement basically acknowledges that an email address is one step removed from being a legal "name" or "identity" -- and while this generally bears on the issue of more than one person sharing an email address (i.e. in every case the "winner" is going to be "deemed" to be the "authorized account holder"), it does open up an interpretation as to the validity of one person entering for other people -- when they state "will be deemed" it could be successfully argued that they may as well be saying "we understand there is the potential for some ambiguity as to who actually typed in that email address, but we agree that that is okay, we'll deal with it like this..."

This is the kind of thing (back in the day 8^) that used to make my roommates crazy while they were studying Contract Law (etc)...

'Nuf. My :twocents: meter just expired...

Kinda interesting cause technically the internet and email address that I use to enter sweeps is in my husband's name. I mean, his name is on the bill. I guess if I really wanted to comply with that rule I would have to add my name to the account too, but then which one person would actually win a sweepstakes in that case? I really don't know of a sweeps that actually checks that...

bigskwinner
December 29th, 2006, 11:49pm
yes i enter for my children
they WERE both under the age of 13, although today is my sons 13th bday
i also enter for hubby as he brings me the stuff from different mags lol
yesterday he brought me one from his astronomy mag...here here he's saying...win me this lol
(i use my name but he's the one who wants the stuff, not me)

pambanter
December 29th, 2006, 11:51pm

I tried to forward my sister some sweeps and she said, "Or you could enter FOR me."

Um, no, I have enough to enter on my own, thanks.

msbarton
December 29th, 2006, 11:55pm
I enter my ex for home improvement sweeps since I feel like he would really benefit from them. I use his email and his address, nothing associated with me.

flared0ne
December 30th, 2006, 1:40am
just pointing out something pertinent to several peoples' comments about "hard enough to enter for one"...

If you had someone sitting and watching (or video-taping, for settling "umpire disputes") while you sequence through your daily entries, what would quickly become obvious is that what takes the longest when sweeping is waiting while pages load, to get TO the entry form page(s).

That is one reason the newer IE7 with tabs is potentially more efficient (supposedly - I'm not using it until I'm dragged, kicking and screaming, with no other choice) -- you can cycle between pages more easily, opening up a big handful of pages and starting to work on one while the rest are still loading. Or you can stay with IE6, and open up a good handful of pages (I typically do around 25 pages at a time) and just keep track of them on the task bar. The key is to keep working in one while the others load (or do whatever) in the background...

So the ground rule is that you open lots of pages at once, and you move to work on another page anytime the page you're on starts ANYthing time-consuming that you don't absolutely have to watch. You will find your biggest headache is keeping track of what "step" you were on when you come back to any given page. BUT even ignoring all the rest of my babble, this one simple step will dramatically speed up doing your dailies. (note: that's one aspect of how Shazam works, if I understand correctly).

In that case, including all the overhead, entering for one person takes an average, say, of 35 seconds per entry (reeeally rough average, more to illustrate my point)...

AND my point IS, when you add in the time it takes to click to toggle robo to a different passcard and then click "BACK" (remembering to sequence on to a next page while that "BACK" actually happens) and then finally somebody else clicks "fill and submit" that second time...

Then arranging for a second person to enter adds maaaybe four or five seconds to whatEVER that original time was...

So if entering 200 sweeps for one person might take about 2 hours... (rough average, ticking right along)
( ((200x35 seconds)/60 seconds) = ~120 minutes...)

Then entering 200 sweeps with TWO people might take around 2 hours and fifteen minutes.
( ((200x40 seconds)/60 seconds) = ~135 minutes...)

---------------------------------------------------

"Obsessing with numbers"... yup, and happy to do it, if it helps me finish faster...

[the fine print: "and I know I'm probably wrong, but am I reeeally close??"]
[fine print #2: "Don't like my words? Please ignore me - leaves more for the rest of us"]

Sorry, that was at least a nickel... :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: ... keep the change!

flared0ne
December 30th, 2006, 2:04am
Kinda interesting cause technically the internet and email address that I use to enter sweeps is in my husband's name. I mean, his name is on the bill. I guess if I really wanted to comply with that rule I would have to add my name to the account too, but then which one person would actually win a sweepstakes in that case? I really don't know of a sweeps that actually checks that...They don't care whose name is on the bill. What MANY sweeps rules DO say is that they may require you to prove what is the name of the authorized account holder associated specifically with a winning email address. That might require a conversation with your ISP, but could be as simple as printing out your master email-address account-listing...

I am the primary account holder of record for my family's email accounts (i.e. I can create them, change them, shut them off), but we ARE each on record with our ISP as having our own individual email address.

If you have an email address and your husband has a DIFFERENT email address, then anything you win using YOUR email address is YOUR win.

stan1162
December 30th, 2006, 10:07am
just pointing out something pertinent to several peoples' comments about "hard enough to enter for one"...

If you had someone sitting and watching (or video-taping, for settling "umpire disputes") while you sequence through your daily entries, what would quickly become obvious is that what takes the longest when sweeping is waiting while pages load, to get TO the entry form page(s).

That is one reason the newer IE7 with tabs is potentially more efficient (supposedly - I'm not using it until I'm dragged, kicking and screaming, with no other choice) -- you can cycle between pages more easily, opening up a big handful of pages and starting to work on one while the rest are still loading. Or you can stay with IE6, and open up a good handful of pages (I typically do around 25 pages at a time) and just keep track of them on the task bar. The key is to keep working in one while the others load (or do whatever) in the background...

So the ground rule is that you open lots of pages at once, and you move to work on another page anytime the page you're on starts ANYthing time-consuming that you don't absolutely have to watch. You will find your biggest headache is keeping track of what "step" you were on when you come back to any given page. BUT even ignoring all the rest of my babble, this one simple step will dramatically speed up doing your dailies. (note: that's one aspect of how Shazam works, if I understand correctly).

In that case, including all the overhead, entering for one person takes an average, say, of 35 seconds per entry (reeeally rough average, more to illustrate my point)...

AND my point IS, when you add in the time it takes to click to toggle robo to a different passcard and then click "BACK" (remembering to sequence on to a next page while that "BACK" actually happens) and then finally somebody else clicks "fill and submit" that second time...

Then arranging for a second person to enter adds maaaybe four or five seconds to whatEVER that original time was...

So if entering 200 sweeps for one person might take about 2 hours... (rough average, ticking right along)
( ((200x35 seconds)/60 seconds) = ~120 minutes...)

Then entering 200 sweeps with TWO people might take around 2 hours and fifteen minutes.
( ((200x40 seconds)/60 seconds) = ~135 minutes...)

"Obsessing with numbers"... yup, and happy to do it, if it helps me finish faster...

[the fine print: "and I know I'm probably wrong, but am I reeeally close??"]
[fine print #2: "Don't like my words? Please ignore me - leaves more for the rest of us"]

Sorry, that was at least a nickel... :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: ... keep the change!

I am one of the people who says the time is prohibitive. You assume in the above that one is Robo-ing and Shazzaaming. If you do neither-- hand type everything, and do not shazaam, it would take twice as long. For those of us who do it all manually, it was painful enough to do it for ourselves, doubling the effort, no thanks. We are a minority, but I know there are others like myself who hand type.

acccutter
December 30th, 2006, 10:17am
I enter for myself using only one email. Once in awhile I enter my husband if its for tools.

DE-termined
December 30th, 2006, 10:32am
I enter (for my kids) for things I think my kids would like. Same goes for family members, but few and far between.ex: if a sweep is only valid for a state that my mom or sister live in, I might enter them if I know they would like it. I don't enter twice in a sweep, like one for me and one for DH on another email address, but that is because that would be too much work for me, not because I think it's wrong. What about drawings at the mall and such? I enter for me and DH to increase the odds (as long as it is not one per household).

dovie
December 30th, 2006, 10:36am
Just out of curiousity (because I have my opinions and you have yours and they may or may not be the same) do your ethics prohibit you from using codes, answers, locations of things, etc... that others may post when clearly the intent if not the actual rules are for you to find/do these things yourself? I actually find it rather fascinating how we- myself included- can justify the things we do when it suits us. ;) I won't get in on this as I believe if you think it is right it is right for you, if your beliefs tell you it is wrong then it is, but it is interesting to me to read about other thought processes. However you sweep and whoever you sweep for, good luck to everyone, I hope you get the win(s) of your dreams. :fairy2: :gvibes: :magic:

jackie241
December 30th, 2006, 10:46am
I enter for myself only...I,too recently had a request to enter my sister for a specific sweepstakes....I had to tell her that I was sorry but I could not enter her at the risk of disqualifying myself.She understood thankfully.If there is something that I know another member of my family may be really interested in,I send them the info to enter if they so wish.
I've kinda learned that this is a do what is right for you and don't really fret over what others may or may not do.Yours is the most important opinion to you....go with your gut instincts.

:gvibes: and :fairy4: dust

theladyluck
December 30th, 2006, 10:50am
I enter only for myself, using only one e-mail address for each sweeps. (Actually I have an e-mail address I use only for sweeping, and I enter all sweeps except the ones from Roadrunner using that one. I use my Roadrunner e-mail address for their sweeps.)

If I see a sweeps that I think DH would like to enter (usually male-oriented ones) I e-mail the details to him, and he enters it himself on his own computer.

I don't enter for friends or relatives. I figure they can enter for themselves if they want to. I've told them about OL-S, and about both free and premium memberships, but they all seem to think it's too much work.

Aside from the fact that I don't think it's ethical, if it's too much work for them to enter for themselves, then it's too much work for me to enter for them. :nana:

Indy
December 30th, 2006, 10:56am
No, I just enter for myself...with my own (1) email address. :gvibes:

abbygirl
December 30th, 2006, 11:00am
Again, I say that entering for a husband is not cheating. We have (or had) one computer to use and just don't have the time for a complete sit-down for entering for each of us. Now, we have no computer. I have to try to use my son's ancient laptop, so can't enter many contests from home. I DO enter from work, but not too much because I AM supposed to be working. And, yes, I do enter for my husband from my work computer. We have totally different email addresses. Since he retired he has no work computer, so I am the only one who can find and check the contests available. So, again, flog me, but I will continue to do this and not feel guilty at all about it.

SonyaD81
December 30th, 2006, 11:00am
I enter for myself, through one email address.

Hubby did sign up for his own account after my car win the other day lol. He's been doing a whopping 16 daily entries a day :laugh: I had a long discussion with him about the 1 per household sweeps. He seems to have understood. Makes me nervous though. I hope he decides to stop, so I don't have to worry about him entering something and DQing me!

samie_32d
December 30th, 2006, 11:01am
only my son when it is for a scholarship to help get him through college

elb622
December 30th, 2006, 1:04pm
I enter for myself. If it is something I know she needs or will like I enter for my mom. I can't really afford to buy her anything very nice (like the prizes), so I feel like this is sorta my way of giving her something. She hasn't won anything, but hoping one day.

inspiringmind
December 30th, 2006, 2:44pm
Just out of curiousity (because I have my opinions and you have yours and they may or may not be the same) do your ethics prohibit you from using codes, answers, locations of things, etc... that others may post when clearly the intent if not the actual rules are for you to find/do these things yourself? I actually find it rather fascinating how we- myself included- can justify the things we do when it suits us. ;) I won't get in on this as I believe if you think it is right it is right for you, if your beliefs tell you it is wrong then it is, but it is interesting to me to read about other thought processes. However you sweep and whoever you sweep for, good luck to everyone, I hope you get the win(s) of your dreams. :fairy2: :gvibes: :magic:

Seriously, if I come across a sweeps that is not a really good prize and I have to find some trivia/picture to click on type thing, I will skip it. If the sweeps is a email sweeps with a trivia question I will copy the answer and send it in. There is one sweeps where you have to go to the site and find the review of the day...even when I have gone to the site I have a hard time "finding it" so I skip that too. Usually the ones where they say they don't condone the sharing of answers, the prize is something like a book or a CD. I just don't enter those.

I also use a program called turbo sweeps...it makes it so that all my daily sweeps goes directly to the page where the entry form is. So, even if I copy a link from OLS and I go to the page and it comes up where I have to click on one, two or even three more links to get to the form I wait till I get to the form and then copy that link and save it. Next time I go directly to the form page instead of waiting for an extra, up to three pages, to load. There are very few sweeps that have it set where I can't do that.

lifesfun
December 30th, 2006, 3:11pm
I enter sometimes for my kids on the kids sweeps. I enter some nascar sweeps for my husband, especailly trips (because I need a vacation from him) but then I don't enter that same sweep for myself. I don't think I've entered more than one of us into any one sweep at a time. I put one entry in and that's it and I've never entered anyone outside my household or my cat. LOL.

I don't think what I do is any form of cheating. I do think when you put more than one entry into any one sweep, even though it might not be cheating, I get the feeling it could look like your trying to get more entrys for yourself from the sponsers end and you might get dq. I don't have time to enter each of my family members into one sweep anyway. I can't even get through all of them for myself one time.

wendyjo13
December 31st, 2006, 6:01pm
:cool2: I just enter for myself, but I do let friends and family know about ones they might want to enter. If I win something I can't use, I give it to someone who will. If you are persistent about entering, you will win a fair amount just entering for yourself. I say your sister should come over and use your computer to enter herself or go to the library where the internet is free. I think, we should keep things honest since the companies are offering some great things to win.

flared0ne
January 1st, 2007, 1:28am
I am one of the people who says the time is prohibitive. You assume in the above that one is Robo-ing and Shazzaaming. If you do neither-- hand type everything, and do not shazaam, it would take twice as long. For those of us who do it all manually, it was painful enough to do it for ourselves, doubling the effort, no thanks. We are a minority, but I know there are others like myself who hand type.I don't Shazaam, for whatever reason -- takes away too much control, doesn't fit my "rhythm" when I'm entering sweeps, whatever. And still (NOT using Shazaam) I'm processing through 200 or so entries per evening in typically just over two hours...

I -DO- use roboform now, after initially saying no way I was going to do that... All it took was a week or so of a pinched nerve in my right shoulder, in combination with a touch of "carpal tunnel"-like symptoms, and I downloaded the trial version of robo and jumped in.

Once I get a routine going, I'm conservative enough you have to hit me hard with good reasons to make major changes ("I know Shazaam is out there, but I'm NOT going to look") -- but once I toggle to a new routine, I dig right in and tweak-and-configure to make it fit, then USE it but don't (exactly) obsess about it (until I have to try and analyze why it works for me, or explain it to someone else).

For me (and BTW -- this is STILL true even if you are typing by hand) opening large clusters of files, and moving along to the next task as soon as the current one has to process-and-load for awhile, is the approach I can PROVE is more efficient.

One person entering versus two people entering together -- all I can go by is the numbers for how much overhead time it takes to open duplicate entry forms, versus time saved by sharing already loaded entry forms...

If you're hand-typing everything, more power to you -- I wouldn't assume any particular virtue to choosing a harder way, but then the more time I can save the more sweeps I can enter, which increases my odds the only realistic way anybody can.

flared0ne
January 1st, 2007, 2:34am
I agree that sponsors are most irritated by the obvious ten-different-versions-of-the-same-name entries. As one sponsor says "...you will be disqualified. And we will mock you."

I am slightly concerned whether some sponsors DO react negatively to getting multiple entries from the same HOUSEHOLD (but with legitimately different names and email addresses, etc).

I seriously doubt if any sponsor of a sweep open to the 6-13 year old age range is reeeally expecting to see entries ONLY from those kids. And I strongly suspect that many if not most entries in that category of sweeps are made by parents -- personally, I have safety concerns about kids that age spending time (and getting used to the idea of) giving out their personal info online, anyway...

And if I call across the house "Honey, you should SEE this new one I just found!!" and she calls back "I'm BUSY -- enter it for me, will you?", I'll snapshot a link (so she can at least check out the rules she just agreed to) and enter, and move on down my list. If she's NOT busy, often enough she'll be sitting reading (or more likely playing Solitaire or browsing email or news sites) at another computer beside me (love that router) -- THEN she can look it over directly and say "waste of time" or "hmmm -- not bad" and do her own clicking.

The difference between watching over my shoulder and telling me to "do it" versus reaching around me and "doing it" herself seems trivial. The difference between calling across the house and sitting right beside me still seems fairly trivial. When it gets right down to it, if you're using a paid version of Roboform with hundreds of relatively evolved passcards, the difference between MY click and HER click is about that same level of "trivial".

In a legal sense, she and I are one person anyway (look up "Joint Tenancy"). Anyone with a legal background will know what I mean (just one of many reasons, BTW, that divorce can get JUST as complicated as the process of splitting apart those joint issues into individual pieces)...

So yeah, entering yourself with ten or twenty different email addresses is an egregious ethical failure. Just this side of that extreme is entering for your neighbors and your dog. Then there's entering for your distributed family and friends (people in other households). Then there's entering for Grandma and Uncle George, and the guy who rents the spare room (all in your household). As you continue sliding in from the Outer Limits, you finally reach the point where you are entering for "you" -- yourself and your spouse (your legal "other self") and your children (for whom you share legal responsibility ANYway).

Compared to the entire "ethical" range, THAT point is all-but-indistinguishable from the one a tiny-step-farther where you are entering only for you, your singular individual self.

And I'm sure that de Debil crept in there somewhere, that I'm an ethically impure and evil person. As I commented somewhere earlier in this thread (and notice, I'm trying to pull my end of it back into the original poster's question/responses intention, okay?) if you don't like my words, please ignore me. I will return the favor. As far as I'm concerned (at least for issues that bear on ethics and legalities, etc) Forums are largely an opportunity to exercise and evolve logical thought and express-and-share opinions (and feedback, critique, etc) -- which generally doesn't require approval any more than it warrants censorship.

---------------------------------

Sprinkle enough italicized "and"s through your text and... you'll start to feel Jamaican!

{I}and{/I}, mon, {I}and{/I}...