PDA

View Full Version : Prize not what I expected - advice needed

torent
December 27th, 2006, 12:44pm
I was lucky enough to win business class round-trip tickets to London on MaxJet Airlines from a radio station this year. My DH and I had a fantastic flight experience on the way to London; however, our return trip was anything but. MaxJet cancelled our return flight, and we were hurriedly booked into another flight on another airline the following day. On the phone, the agent indicated that there would be some compensation for our inconvenience. Needless to say, they were coach tickets on a less-than-wonderful airline, and without going into boring detail, let's just say that the flight was a disaster.

I received an email from MaxJet the week we returned, saying that they would be in touch about the compensation. I've emailed them twice since then, and no response. Okay, so it was a free flight, so why am I complaining?

It occurred to me the other day that I would be paying taxes on the full amount of the business class tickets, even though that's not what I received. I tried contacting the radio station, but the promotions person said that she couldn't help me.

I'm looking for advice. Has this happened to anyone else? Are there certain words I should use in my next correspondence to the airline?

Thanks much for your help.

dallan
December 27th, 2006, 12:53pm
Eew that's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. I have just the word for this situation. ESCALATE! I like to find some names on the internet for the company, prefarbly a VP and then keep escilating in that direction.

Dallan

wackydackydoo
December 27th, 2006, 12:59pm
Each airline has their own set prices for each class. You need to find out how much coach cost on the airline you came back on (even if you thought it was a horrible airline, they may have been more expensive) and how much business class cost on the other airline. You also need to keep other things in mind like booking you last minute on another airline may incur higher costs. You also have to keep in mind that the ARV of the trip is just an over-inflated approximation. They are not committed to that amount in any way. They are only committed to giving you what was outlined as the prize. You need to see if they specified a specific airline, if they specified that you would be in business class, etc. In situations where a flight is cancelled, you can't always expect what you want when you're trying to get back home. Sometimes, the opposite can occur, you could have been bumped up to 1st class if that was all that was available on the flight. When trying to get you home, they can't always get what you originally had.

Bassoon2
December 27th, 2006, 1:00pm
Airlines are FLAKY these days...keep on them

pambanter
December 27th, 2006, 1:07pm
Most airlines have standard "compensations" for bumped flights. Probably in the form of more airline tickets.

ttm
December 27th, 2006, 1:13pm
Only pay taxes on what you actually received.
Hope they "compenstate you".