PDA

View Full Version : Holding a contest

barry4821
December 27th, 2006, 1:18am
I was wondering if anyone knows this question. If you want to hold a contest and give something away ie: a DVD etc.. Do you need to have permission form the author or distributor? I notice tons of sites giving away new movie releases etc..

My question: If I held a contest and gave something away would Warner Brothers come knocking at my door for giving away one of their movies?

Miki
December 27th, 2006, 1:19am
I doubt it, but, I don't know all the legal stuff. We have members only contests here and I am sure that none of us have permission to give something away :)

:gvibes: :gvibes: :gvibes:

Nana*2*4
December 27th, 2006, 1:27am
I doubt it as it was a CD that is legal and not a homemade cd. The CD was purchased properly and the artist was paid royalities. It would be the same as if you sold it in a garage sale, it's your to sell as it was properly paid for and not pirated.

barry4821
December 27th, 2006, 4:48pm
Yes, a contest on a commercial website.

Are you wanting to have a 'professional' contest? Or do you mean like our MOC's here?

nesta67
December 27th, 2006, 5:00pm
Here is an article with some info on holding contests: http://www.office.com/templates/page3.asp?docid=51

You can give away a DVD/CD, but should state that you are not affiliated with the distributor and that they do not endorse or promote the contest.

guruwan2b
December 27th, 2006, 5:00pm
You would probably be ok if you put a disclaimer on the site: Warner Brothers is not affiliated with this contest.
You see that a lot.

Miki
December 27th, 2006, 5:32pm
Good ideas and information posted!