PDA

View Full Version : giving wins for christmas

qcjoe
December 26th, 2006, 12:11am
anyone out there give something they won here to someone for christmas? and if so did you mention it was a win?

judycc
December 26th, 2006, 12:17am
Yes to my kids , as I do every year and no I didnt mention it was a win , its the thought that counts and thats why I enter everyday for my kids and family lol.

Lisa4Christ
December 26th, 2006, 12:20am
I gave wins to my children and to both my parents. (The wins weren't their only gifts.) My family LOVES my sweeping. When they open gifts, they often ask if it's something I won. My mom sweeps some too and gave my daughters some of her wins.

purplemist
December 26th, 2006, 12:22am
Yes I did, a skateboard deck that I won. My DD LOVED it! I didnt tell her I won it though. I did give a couple V8 splash mini basket balls to my friends kids. It was obvious those were wins.

badgerstate
December 26th, 2006, 12:24am
If you think about the amount of time we spend sweeping, the gift (if we won one and gave it) came from alot more determation and persistence then if we had gone to the store and bought it. JMHO. I enter sweeps with some family/friend in mind for the prize. Rarely am "I" the intended receiver of the sweep I enter for.

(well........ I suppose Walmart on xmas eve is harder then sweeping :cool2: )

KathBrat
December 26th, 2006, 12:27am
yes yes and Yes

I also "shopped" for my folks for all their presents to my siblings and the grandkids

Actually everybody LOVED it - they got a bigger, better and something they like item this year.

AND they all want to sweep like Auntie Kathy............... :laugh:

OKgirl
December 26th, 2006, 12:32am
Yes, I gave some wins and freebies for stocking stuffers to my family. I mentioned that I got some of the gifts from wins or freebies so they would know to not feel bad, thinking I spent ALOT of money on them, lol. My family is pretty generous and we feel bad if someone spends more than the other, and I wanted them to know it didn't cost me a thing. (Or that I did a trade on OLS and got a good deal, etc)
I don't think they mind knowing that information. It may be tacky to some people, but my family thinks its awesome.

InterplanetJanet
December 26th, 2006, 12:50am
I gave wins to my children and to both my parents. (The wins weren't their only gifts.) My family LOVES my sweeping. When they open gifts, they often ask if it's something I won. My mom sweeps some too and gave my daughters some of her wins.

Yes - I won five pairs of Men's rockport shoes. All were given as gifts. I also won a digital camera, a dora doll and a game boy that I used as gifts for my three girls from Santa.

MistyNoMore
December 26th, 2006, 12:54am
I give sweeps wins and tell them they are wins. Mostly because I am so proud odf my winnings. But, also because I am not working and I want them to know I worked hard to get them something nice.

hudson9610
December 26th, 2006, 12:58am
you bet I did
Gave sound bags for mp3 players and basketballs from V8 and the best two were a dart board from keystone and the lambskin leather jacket from superman returns they loved everything.
But these are from me or us not santa if it has a logo on it except for the jacket had a whole theme there

DebMarGal
December 26th, 2006, 12:59am
I gave my son shoes, jeans, and tshirt I won from an Elements contest.

Unfortunately, his gf let it slip that I won those. Nice. :mad2:

He wasnt upset though - he said he'd been wondering how I picked out that skater-style outfit on my own.

Oh, and I bought my mom earings from the $100 GC I won from the Superman contest.

I wish I had won a lot more stuff to have used as gifts.

BabyLeaps
December 26th, 2006, 1:06am
Gave my hubby's brother a nice Timex Triatholon watch I'd won, and he loved it! His Dad knew it was a win, and I wasn't sure if I should've said that or not. Next time I think I'll keep my mouth shut unless they ask.......... :(

deadgirl
December 26th, 2006, 1:13am
I did give a few nice wins as gifts this year.
I didn't tell them I had won them though. My family seems to think that if I won something, I should give it to them anyway.

Tobytob
December 26th, 2006, 1:19am
Yes, a GC and Nascar item that I'd won.
And I mentioned that I'd won them. No biggie. :gvibes:

lotusgirl
December 26th, 2006, 1:22am
Yes to the first question and no to the second. Do you tell people if you bought it on sale? At a discount store? Regifting? What if you bought a brand new item at a yard sale? (These are rhetorical questions.) The value of a gift is not dependent upon the price or where it came from. I give gifts that I believe the recipients will enjoy. Think about homemade gifts. Some people treasure them and some people think they are cheap. Today a relative, an adult, enjoyed one of my small, inexpensive wins far more than something I paid big bucks for, even though the person didn't know it was a win. I thought they would love the big bucks item, but not so, which was very disappointing for me.

IndyWinner
December 26th, 2006, 1:22am
Everything I gave for Christmas was from wins. I won a $500 SuperCertificate which I used for a variety of gift cards so I could shop, I also won a $100 Visa gift card, a $50 iTunes gc, a $50 American Express gift check, a $100 Target gift card and a few small cash prizes that I saved up. Didn't spend one penny (except what I'll pay in taxes, of course.) Wish I could do this every year! :gvibes:

GotSpawn
December 26th, 2006, 1:24am
I gave mostly, there was an exception, thoughtful win gifts and they were received WELL! I was so jazzed to see their faces. I figure I'll pay taxes on those wins, I spent time on those wins, they were definitely "earned" just as every dollar I could/would pay for a gift. If anyone received a gift that they did not understand was a "win" then they haven't been paying attention this last year. I have a big mouth, lol. The best thing was hearing my nephew say, "now I don't know which cards to play with my Hooters cards or my Full Throttle". Obviously I got him the FT cards, it was cute that he values them as much as scantily clad women, lol...maybe that is a little odd...hmmm.

robsterclaw
December 26th, 2006, 1:32am
Yep. And the kid's knew they were wins. I can't afford a video ipod, razr phone, $100 GC, and a Zune (which I bought with the $200 pepperidge farms GC). And they knew each of their PSP's came from winning cash.

I specifically search out certain prizes, things they ask for, and enter hoping I'll win one. No luck on the Wii's or PS3 though. lol Doesn't matter.....they were very happy.

Curr4001
December 26th, 2006, 2:04am
This year I won 4 pairs of Vans shoes ( went to 2 grandsons) and a skateboard which I sold,
$250 Best Buy card (went to son and daughter for desk chair and computer goodies)
$100 Amazon gift card, spread out among 3 grandchildren for various toys and shoes my granddaughter had especially asked for
$200 from a craft site (was able to get personalized coat racks for 6 different people),
a digital camera for my son,
lambskin superman jacket for another son,
$100 in miscellaneous gift cards, and
$100 Amex gift check that I used to pay for things that I didn't have gift cards for.

I told everyone well in advance that they were only getting what I won this year and not to expect a lot. That was before the wins really started rolling in. They were all thrilled with what they got. It just worked out that everything I won was something that I was sure they would like. It definitely doesn't always happen that way.

And it just happens that this year I have lots left over for me. Merry Christmas to me :laugh:

RandomHelena
December 26th, 2006, 2:06am
Itunes GC's...to hubby and yes, he knows they were wins :gvibes:

sandyy456
December 26th, 2006, 12:18pm
I gave my brother an ipod nano for Christmas. It was a win. He didn't ask if it was a win, I didn't mention that it was. But I wouldn't have spent that much on him normally (we try to keep to a $50 limit) so I'm sure he knows it was a win.

kpkp1130
December 26th, 2006, 12:30pm
Absolutley.

I won a gift pack of a DS game of Flushed way that also had a t-shirt and soccer ball - went to my nephew (I told my brother).

I won a gift code to Disney on line and gave my other nephew a gift I got from that win (also told my brother).

I won an Ipod shuffle that I gave to my nephew and I told him (he is 21) and my whole family. I do that because I don't usually spend that much on an individual gift for my nephew's so whenever I give a win and its considerably more than I would spend I tell them so they know that I'm not playing favorites.

I also gave my sister the baby phat watch I won - she is younger than me and it suits her better. She knew I won it and couldn't care less - she was happy to get it.

I am always so surprised when folks post how people get upset if you give them a win - to me its a great way to be able to give a gift you may have been able to otherwise. I think a gift is a gift is a gift - no matter where you got it or if you won it or paid for it.

My family loves my hobby - they have all benefited at one time or another. I don't sell anything I win I just use it, store it or give it away. Except for the golf clubs I won - my brother paid me half what they were worth since that was a big prize. We all made out on that one.

Have a great day!

KSML
December 26th, 2006, 12:34pm
I used gift cards to purchase or pay for part of the purchase of a few gifts, and I also gave my mother a Shutterfly album that was won.

Jessica25
December 26th, 2006, 12:37pm
Yes. Most gifts were wins, including video games, wii's, a trip, a big screen TV, toys, iPods, plus, many many gift cards that paid for most of the non-win gifts! Everyone was thrilled, and caring more about the excitement of the gift rather than how I obtained it!

jhannum44
December 26th, 2006, 12:40pm
I take all the junk I get, put it in bags and give them as joke prizes for the games we play on Christmas.
Everyone gets a laugh.

Linseyb42
December 26th, 2006, 12:41pm
Always gift wins... couldn't afford to get anything nice without my wins!!!

Evilactionfigure
December 26th, 2006, 12:46pm
Yes I give away wins for Christmas. ( and birthdays, unbirthdays, Arbor Day, just because days, etc.)

No I dont tell that they are wins.

Cody

marthajane
December 26th, 2006, 12:46pm
I wish! My goal for this year was to win any gift I had to give!! The only thing close to a win that I gave was Chili's gift cards to my husband -- and I got those thru MyPoints. I did tell him where they came from, though, since he knew we couldn't afford to actually SPEND $50 for them.
And I think they were one of his favorite gifts. He keeps saying, "I get to go to Chili's!"

Trisha
December 26th, 2006, 12:51pm
I always give my wins away for Christmas. Now everyone assumes whatever they get is a win whether I bought it or not. Of course, I make sure they'll want it as a gift and the wins are usually more than I am able to afford. A couple of years ago I won a $1000 searlenyc.com shopping spree. I bought my granddaugher a $250 Uggs handbag and my daughter got a $300 pair of designer boots. Another year, my son got a $400 digital camera and the other son got a video ipod. My husband got an Adams driver and hunting knife. This year my daughter got a $250 Target gift card. I forget what all I've given away throughout the years. This year I wrapped up and gave myself a $235 pair of earrings that I won. There's always wonderful gifts under our Christmas trees, thanks to entering sweeps.

Trisha
December 26th, 2006, 12:56pm
I forgot about another. I won a peddle car that went under the Salvation Army tree. I'm sure some child was delighted with it.

bigjay00
December 26th, 2006, 1:10pm
My mom did, she told me.

Advam
December 26th, 2006, 1:11pm
I gave away 2 $25 KOA gift certificates to my brother and SIL who love to go camping. They thought it was a great idea and asked how did I get them....online? I said yes with a smile.

dolphee
December 26th, 2006, 1:12pm
No I didn't get anything to give away this year. :frown3: Maybe next year! :gift:

jill92802
December 26th, 2006, 1:15pm
I got a lot of kids' stuff as wins, and gave them to our local Operation Santa Claus, which provides stuff for kids in need.
I also gave my step son an iTunes $15 gc....yes I told him. He knows I sweep, and thinks it's pretty cool that he got one of my wins.
I also have a $100 Best Buy card coming that I'll split between my two boys as a late gift when it comes.

In fact, I usually end up giving away most of what I win! LOL

guruwan2b
December 26th, 2006, 1:18pm
I vow that next year I will keep more stuff back for Christmas. I usually end up giving away stuff as soon as I get it...
My family has no problem whatsoever getting wins as presents.

auctions
December 26th, 2006, 1:40pm
I gave my DH a trip I won and I think he is a little let down by it. I am not sure why. I havn't told him but I was actually thinking of taking my dd instead of him. It's a ranch trip and she would love it - but DH hasn't been to CO and I want to take him...it's a gift, right? Dang, I could take a girlfriend or my brother or the dog...
Jenn

NAL027
December 26th, 2006, 1:56pm
I try to save my wins for presents too. But I never tell anyone because then they think "well, she didn't spend any money, so it's not as good as if I bought it". Even though they are really nice gifts like an XBox console. So what they don't know, won't hurt them. :)

inspiringmind
December 26th, 2006, 1:57pm
Yes, a DVD I won that is for younger children. I am giving it to a friend for Christmas (well tomorrow is the party) Also, a book I won that I can't find right now for whatever reason.. Grrrr. But want to give that to another friend.

bomar97
December 26th, 2006, 2:17pm
The only gifts we can afford to give were wins, freebies, and wild game meat we have..

peachis
December 26th, 2006, 2:36pm
you BETCHA I gave wins this year!!

I bought most of the presents, but I think all the bought presents(even though some were very good) PALED in comparison to my win gifts..

EXAMPLES-
my mom /nephew got LOTS of presents from me (like mom got an emerald/diamond ring, holiday barbies ect, nephew got 4 games he's been wanting really bad, 3 for xbox360, and 1 for his ps2)...BUT when they opened the Wii, well, it looked like my nephew was a crack addict and the Wii was his fix LOL!
Di's nephew opened the robosapien and kiss cologne(one is 10 yrs old and 1 is 6) and though they LOVED it, when we brought out the LAST present, the Wii for them, it was OMGOSH OMGOSHY OMGOSH AUNT BEKKA !!!(I had soo much fun !!)

And my twin brother(we drew names and I got my other bro's name, but there hasn't been a year when I havent gotten my twin something) he got a portable DVD player (and candle globes I made) well, he LOVED it!!

I look at it this way. Since I found OLS I have given my family EVERYTHING they want and need. It's a win-win situation all the way around!!

jennem
December 26th, 2006, 2:43pm
My family thinks of my sweeping as a part-time job, they know I work at it. They also know I give them semi-appropriate stuff all the time for "no occasion," and if it's saved for a holiday gift it's because it's super-perfect and I really tried to win it. They have NO problem with that!

lepullyard
December 26th, 2006, 2:52pm
Yes I gave wins as gift and everybody knows I do that. they also know they get better more expensive stuff that way. None of my family care.

tennisrn
December 26th, 2006, 3:10pm
I absolutely gift wins. Everyone in my family is thrilled to get the great things my sister and I win. We started sweeping 2 years ago, and now almost everyone gets something we win from sweeping. Out gift limit is 40 dollars, so when my brother got an video ipod it was obvious it was a win.Sweeping rocks!!

Kathleenob
December 26th, 2006, 3:19pm
Well, my oldest son was pretty happy with his 365 music downloads from Pontiac, along with the Zune I got for $90.00 because of the Amazon voting thing- he has no way of knowing that his $650.00 gift cost me $90.00. I give away most of what I win- the golf club I won from MSN went to my dad. The two younger ones got shuffles, and Itunes cards that I won- they were thrilled.

Thinking about everything they got, it either came from wins, or the google checkout thing, or mypoints gift cards, survey money from Amazon, or finding out about a good deal here or on the deal site I visit daily. The best present of all was seeing how happy they were on Christmas. :cheer7:

Kayte71
December 26th, 2006, 3:37pm
I mentioned to my grandma that I won a Senseo coffee maker recently and she got all excited for me(She loves that I win all the time). She mentioned that she was thinking of buying one for herself. I told her to forget it-that the coffee maker will be coming her way when I get it! :)

Indy
December 26th, 2006, 4:06pm
:gift: Yes, I gave some of my wins to my kids and other family relatives. It really helps with the shopping! (and the budget.) All were very much appreciated, and things I would not have been able to afford this year. :gift:

Diggn4Gold
December 26th, 2006, 4:07pm
Yes to my kids , as I do every year and no I didnt mention it was a win , its the thought that counts and thats why I enter everyday for my kids and family lol.

I did give my kids wins this year too but I told them...I put "from: Contest Claus"

melanie188
December 26th, 2006, 4:23pm
Yes, I gave my neice a spafinder gc, and I told her I won it.

shoppinqueen
December 26th, 2006, 4:55pm
around $1,300 in xmas gifts, only $60 spent on my CC... do the math:)

bigskwinner
December 26th, 2006, 4:56pm
YES i do and yes every one and their dog knows it
if i won a million dollars do you think someone would NOT take it cus it was a WIN?

JoyfulNois
December 26th, 2006, 5:13pm
Absolutely. In some cases I told the recipient, in others I didn't. For my extended family, it was no big deal if they knew or not. However, in the future, I probably won't tell anyone that I won, especially my immediate family (DDs and DH) even though I love to tell people that I win, because they seem to be of the opinion that it didn't "cost" me anything, so it doesn't "count" - so now they won't know.

Alluringheart
December 26th, 2006, 5:19pm
I am new to sweeping but yes, I was still able to give some wins as gifts. It was wonderful. I gave the nascar (Elmers glue) razor that I won to a cousin, and he LOVED it, kept asking me where I bought it lol Finally told him I won it, and he thought that made it even better.
Also gave away superman toys, perfume, Itunes gift card, and a mp3 player (that I got with a win gift certificate). It was nice being able to see others enjoy things that I won. Makes me excited for next year.

wetwist
December 26th, 2006, 5:24pm
yes, i used about $80 in amazon win money to get gifts, won a senseo to give and got some good deals on ebay too.

i won't tell that they were wins. sometimes i do, but it does seem to make people value it less. they just don't know since they don't sweep all the time invested and they don't think about how we could have sold the item.

hope i have more to give next year!

ultimate winner
December 26th, 2006, 5:26pm
I try to stay far away from giving wins as gifts because my family thinks it's very stingy if I take a win and give it to them no matter what it is. :rolleyes: (More for me :laugh: :jump: )

I'm only 15 and I don't have a lot of money to spend but I did give my sister a $25 spafinder gift card I had won and I told her. SHe didn't really mind because she usually has to spend her own money on manicures and pedicures!

pugsly77
December 26th, 2006, 5:27pm
i do alot of my presents that way cuz i cant afford to buy everyone something

gemini lion
December 26th, 2006, 5:36pm
Yes, I give wins as gifts and see no need to mention that it was a win. It's a gift, it is not to be judged by any criteria in my opinion other then I was thinking of you and gave you something I thought you would enjoy.

I am grateful for any gift given to me and it wouldn't matter if the person won it or bought it in the store.

BabyLeaps
December 26th, 2006, 5:46pm
I did give my kids wins this year too but I told them...I put "from: Contest Claus"

LOVE IT! :)

Diggn4Gold
December 26th, 2006, 6:41pm
LOL...it is pretty funny when they see it! They like my wins but the dont want to wait til Christmas or b-days....

Sweeps4Coley
January 1st, 2007, 4:42pm
My nephew was the recipient of several small Lay's Superman wins from earlier this summer. He probably ended up getting more gifts because I did win them and didn't have to buy them. I also gave a $10 Starbucks card to a co-worker.

Afterthought----I got a t-shirt win a week or so before Christmas and gave it to my husband the same day, he told me I should have saved it and made it a stocking stuffer!!! (So I did when a pen came in the mail from another win!)

ladcraig
January 1st, 2007, 4:53pm
I gave wins as gifts this year (and last year, too). In fact, last year after I gave my brother a satellite radio for his b-day and a Sony PSP for Christmas, he can't wait to see what he is going to get. Unfortunately, this year I didn't win as much, but I did give him some beef jerky and a bbq cookbook. He liked them both. I gave my future brother-in-law some hunting gloves and a camping radio as well.

jazzyblue21
January 1st, 2007, 4:53pm
I won a AAA Mark Martin car and gave it to my nephew, who just happens to be a big, big Mark Martin/Ford fan. He was awed. I told him that I had won it, and that when I saw it, I immediately thought of giving it to him. He was very touched, and he is a teenager. So, honesty is the best policy. Giving should come from the heart.

JessicaLuvsJason
January 2nd, 2007, 1:44am
Well, that would mean I would have to actually win something. I enter all contests that interest me. If I found no immediate need for a win, and I knew someone who would use it, I would give it as a gift. I believe there is no need in telling someone it was a win. After all it is the thought that counts.

Miki
January 2nd, 2007, 1:49am
Yes, I do give wins as gifts and no, I don't tell them it was a win.

KylesArmyWife
January 2nd, 2007, 1:55am
I gave a few wins to my family. I really don't think they mind 'cos they loved everything they got :)

iteachpc
January 2nd, 2007, 2:12am
I won an Ipod Nano and gave it to DD15 for Christmas. She's been wanting one since last year so she was THRILLED! I won a $100 Applecard a week ago and told her about that too. She's very excited about spending that as well.

Last year DS received a Gameboy and some very nice baseball equipment for his birthday. He didn't mind that it was a win either. I also won a $200 GC to Toys R Us that I used to buy DS some gifts. No one was complaining about that either!

I haven't won any other things lately that I could give as gifts. I've given away some lotions and hair products in the past and my neighbors all enjoyed the coke coupons this summer. I would probably always tell if I won something and gave it as a gift. I'm so excited that I won something I can't keep it to myself.

shoppinqueen
January 2nd, 2007, 4:20am
Wins helped me come away from Xmas with only $60 in CC debt,that's right,only $60 for gifts on my credit cards this year!

I gave my family gifts all year thanks to sweeps and for Xmas was able to give things like a Wii, a year of netflix,senseo coffee maker,dvd player video recorder,I had lots of makeup and skin care products that I put in gift baskets,lots of small gc's and movie tickets.Everybody got gits,including my DH's poker buddies :)

bosslady2898
January 2nd, 2007, 5:02am
I save all my wins for Christmas. I also use the gift cards to make up "care packages" for each of the seven kids we have between us, plus grandchildren. I usually have something really great to go along with it like the Xbox 360, the real pearls, iPods, phones and all the other stuff I won. I have a Christmas budget for each person and I don't count the wins into that budget. It is all extra, and I do tell them which ones were wins. They love it, and I have so much fun doing it!

Stanza_Rae
January 2nd, 2007, 5:19am
We gave (mailed) my MIL & FIL a beautiful Crystal Clock I won. When FIL saw it he was very upset at the value and how we couldn't afford it. MIL just said "Oh, she probably WON it!" and was very happy about it, and then so was FIL. LOL

My family seriously supports my hobby. They love getting stuff I have won. Knowing that I think about them when I enter.

wercatgrlz
January 2nd, 2007, 5:42am
I see nothing wrong with giving wins as gifts. That's part of the fun.

wercatgrlz
January 2nd, 2007, 5:43am
I've never been embarrased or had anybody be anything but tickled. Lots of the stuff I win is stuff I would never splurge on, so (guilt) I usually give them to ME.

hummer85
January 2nd, 2007, 6:17am
I too give wins for chistmas gifts to my family members. They know most of them are wins but its usually something they wanted and are very happy to receive them. Also I had some wins that I donated to the local Christmas Toys for Kids program this year and they too were very happy to receive the donations.