PDA

View Full Version : HGTV Dream Home 2007

CheckedOut
December 21st, 2006, 12:11pm
When does this one start? After the first of the year?

Since I live in Denver, I'd probably just use the dream home
as my weekend getaway. LOL

Red Sox Girl
December 21st, 2006, 1:03pm
Starts Jan.1

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dream_home_tour_2007/text/0,,HGTV_28177_55076,00.html?hp=Top%20Ten%20Link%20One:%20dreamhometour

:fairy2:

tledbetter
December 22nd, 2006, 1:03pm
Omigosh! I love it! I want that house...guess I better not enter because I'd lose my common sense and want to keep it. I think I'd love living in Colorado!

bdsweetie
December 22nd, 2006, 1:05pm
This has to be EVERYONE'S dream win.

VALENTINE
December 22nd, 2006, 1:20pm
Would love the house, but I probably couldn't afford to live in it year round.

Maybe I could live in it all year and rent it out to some richer familoy during the ski months.
I bet some rich people that ski might rent it for the winter months.
Or maybe I could run a bed and breakfast year round?
WIth all those trees I wonder how expensive forest fire insurance runs.

I'm going to try real hard to win this one in '07

Moish73
December 22nd, 2006, 1:38pm
You guys better just give up now. :laugh: My name is on the mailbox already :nana:

gcomstock
December 24th, 2006, 4:59pm
Best...Sweepstakes...Ever...!

Not only is the prize super wonderful...the're even adding cash to help offset tax woes...but they have a one hour tv special peering into every exquisite detail of the house, property and furnishings.

Jonesing for "things" is bad, but if you're gonna do it, this is the prize. Plus it's "a home" in addition to just a house: you can't help but imagine your friends and family having that first breakfast together, watching the seasons change. Forget taxes, the impossibility of odds or even moving if you won...here's a chance to just revel in the life-changing dream. Yep, time to turn off the computer, sit back and enjoy the incredible dream on the big screen from a comfy couch.

Let yourself go, grab a tasty beverage and indulge the fantasy. Practice your acceptance speach, decide who you'll call first, and think how all of us will feel when we watch YOU being awarded the prize, in another 1 hour HGTV special, on March 18. We'll need to add a new wing onto the Hall of Fame, lol.

This is a prize I'll be proud to not even win, just thinking about it makes me love sweeping. Good luck everyone!

KathyG_NC
December 28th, 2006, 8:39pm
Starting 9am Jan 1st!! :jump:

Hand print your name, complete address and phone number either on a postcard or on a separate piece of paper no larger than 8 x 11 inches, and mailing the postcard or paper to:

HGTV Dream Home Giveaway
PO Box 53552
Knoxville, TN 37950-3552

Entrants using US mail may enter as often as they wish. Mail-in entries must be postmarked by February 16, 2007 and received by February 23, 2007. Limit one (1) entry per envelope. Mechanically reproduced or hand-stamped entries or mailing labels or entries generated by script, macro or other automated means will not be accepted. Incorrect, illegible, and incomplete entries are void.

meeeee
December 28th, 2006, 8:52pm
it is beautiful :gvibes:

pebbles
December 28th, 2006, 8:57pm
allllll mineeee :nana: :gvibes: GLTA

justus
December 28th, 2006, 9:08pm
Soory folks - I'm headed to Winter Park this week to scope it out and stake my claim. Oh, yeah, I'll get a little skiing in too.

bidred73
December 28th, 2006, 9:31pm
Holy schmoely! Just one night in this place would be more than I could dream of !

Good luck to you all ! Invite us for a party whoever it is ! :gvibes:

mamafairal
December 28th, 2006, 9:38pm
is it just me?

This one doesnt appeal to me :(

* i know i must be crazy right......lol

KathyG_NC
December 28th, 2006, 10:02pm
For me... as long as it appeals to someone with lots of $$$$ I could care less what it really looks like. I know I'd never in a lifetime be able to live in a place that expensive. I wouldn't even consider it! BUT - I'd be happy to sell it!!! :jump:

odysseus
December 31st, 2006, 2:44pm
not really confused but curious about the wording.........postcards as often as you wish....ok....but also enter once a day online too?

alegria
December 31st, 2006, 2:53pm
I'm not a cold weather person.... but I would love to spend a week or 2 there before selling it.

einnhojb
December 31st, 2006, 6:06pm
I live in Colorado and love it but I wouldn't want to stay in the mountains. The house is beautiful, if I won I might have to reconcider. I wonder if they could move the house down to the foothills? :cool2:

swampfox28
January 2nd, 2007, 1:23am
Okay, all the ones in the past had to be sold because the taxes & upkeep were too high, yadda yadda yadda.

I know when they build in these nice communities that it's almost ALWAYS impossible for the HGTV dream home winner to turn it into a B&B or some such thing, but this time...!?!?

I mean, HECK, did anyone see the special on HGTV? I caught half of it - the darn home is *ON* the ski slope. It looked as though you could literally put on your skis and walk 25 ft and get on the slope &/or the ski lift! She-ZAM! That's a GOLDMINE of rental opportunity.

Do you guys think this will be the same thing; i.e. you win it, you have to sell it, or do you think this one could be the exception to the rule?

I mean, when I win it, I'd love to give BIG discounts for my fellow OLS'ers to rent it for a week or two here and there...!!

:rofl2:

-Sarah

oxnail
January 2nd, 2007, 5:41am
just my opionion but I thought it was kinda Ugly and the furnishings were even Uglier.

The dream house for me was the one Built in Maine, Now that was a keeper.

wercatgrlz
January 2nd, 2007, 5:56am
You guys better just give up now. :laugh: My name is on the mailbox already :nana:

You're name might be on the mailbox, but I'll be clinging to the carpet so hard you'll have to peel me off the floor like a fruit rollup off the wrapper.

'cus it's soooo mine :jump:

gcomstock
January 2nd, 2007, 6:41am
Do you guys think this will be the same thing; i.e. you win it, you have to sell it, or do you think this one could be the exception to the rule?

-Sarah

Nope, I'm certain the property may not be used as a B&B. Vacation rental @$10K per week...possibly. See, with an only 20 home development sharing that ultra-fancy furnished community center, you just know they'll have CC&R's designed to protect the common areas and property values. Pretty sure that they don't want transient residents.

So no I'm figuring it's still high 90% chance that the winner will decide to sell because they can't hack the taxes and upkeep. Still the biggest prize actually out there (net, net after you sell, pay taxes and commissions etc.).

KathyG_NC
January 2nd, 2007, 6:57am
I mean, HECK, did anyone see the special on HGTV? I caught half of it - the darn home is *ON* the ski slope. It looked as though you could literally put on your skis and walk 25 ft and get on the slope &/or the ski lift! She-ZAM! That's a GOLDMINE of rental opportunity.

-Sarah

More than likely it will be the same as before - the covenants prevent you from using it as a rental property.

mudrunnersmom
January 2nd, 2007, 10:09am
just my opionion but I thought it was kinda Ugly and the furnishings were even Uglier.

I agree with you - I would love to win this so I could sell it and build something I like - but this just does not have the WOW factor some of the others have had. the furninishings are ugh and what is with using fake draperies as wall coverings? Just makes the rooms look smaller, not warmer or cozier or whatever they were going for. But - just my opinion.

JesterPester
January 2nd, 2007, 10:15am
Ok, I am soooo in love with this house! If I can't afford to keep it, the people that buy it had better let me have EVERY SINGLE CHRISTMAS with my family in it. :laugh:

EYESONLYFORDAVE
January 2nd, 2007, 10:16am
When does this one start? After the first of the year?

Since I live in Denver, I'd probably just use the dream home
as my weekend getaway. LOL
I HAVE ALREADY ENTERED TWICE, YESTERDAY AND TODAY!!

secular
January 2nd, 2007, 10:18am
Who is willing to state "If I won the dream home I will not be dissuaded by thinking I can afford the home. I will stay there for a short while - no more than one month - pull my head out, face reality, and sell the home"

I am! :laugh:

swampfox28
January 2nd, 2007, 11:31am
More than likely it will be the same as before - the covenants prevent you from using it as a rental property.

I bet you're right...

I know I should face reality - I'm the first one to say, "If you win, you sell it!"

And yet, I'm enticed by the idea of having a home like that that I could rent out AND still be able to take my kids to see snow once a year (we live where it DOESN'T snow!) I swear, my 9 year old would be a natrual born skier.. I want to build snowmen and have snowball fights.

But if I won, likely I'd take friends and family up for the nicest 2 week vacation, rent a U-haul, and take all the stuff I like home with me...

(But it's fun to THINK about keeping it.... Dangerous, yes, but FUN!)

-Sarah

droopydawg
January 2nd, 2007, 12:00pm
Last year they had lots of smaller cash prizes that increased your chances of winning something. Too bad they decided not to do that again. :frown3:

acuteparanoia
January 2nd, 2007, 12:05pm
is it just me?

I didn't like the 'stick' furniture at all. Was too much of it and it looks kinda junky. What's up with the 'exclusive' club house that you have to share w/20 of your neighbors?! LOL... Past houses seem to have all that stuff built in.

tiffginn21
January 2nd, 2007, 12:06pm
:supstar: Starts Jan 1st..keeping my fingers crossed for this one :supstar:

BEARHUGS65
January 2nd, 2007, 12:20pm
Who is willing to state "If I won the dream home I will not be dissuaded by thinking I can afford the home. I will stay there for a short while - no more than one month - pull my head out, face reality, and sell the home"

I am! :laugh:
anyone notice no closets in the rooms upstairs- when we win we are selling it!!! Paying the taxes and getting something in our dream area... also no doggie houses this year or am I missing them

laurenjaye
January 2nd, 2007, 12:51pm
Even if you sell, how do you surivive the tax bill? Seems like a dangerous prize because it might take a while to sell. I'm going to enter anyway, but makes me nervous! Anyone know how folks do this? Or do winners tend to have tons of cash lying around?

gcomstock
January 2nd, 2007, 2:50pm
Even if you sell, how do you surivive the tax bill? Seems like a dangerous prize because it might take a while to sell. I'm going to enter anyway, but makes me nervous! Anyone know how folks do this? Or do winners tend to have tons of cash lying around?

Well the winner of this house...will have $250K cash lying around, lol (it's part of the prizing).

Actually the winner of the Maryland house a few years back posted frequently for a short while on the HGTV message board during the following year's contest: he provided an irresistable firsthand account of how the whole thing went down; how the winner was selected, how thoroughly HGTV was prepared to help him, and his his own thinking / planning in deciding to sell. HGTV ended up purging many of his posts (they didn't like the info about their selection method, apparently, even though it was all on the up and up).

Here's the deal: HGTV creates a corporation the assets of which include the real property (land and house) and personal property (car, cash and furniture). This largely simplifies the handoff issues (no need for an escrow or attorney closing) and it supposedly helps the winner handle the taxes from the most advantageous position. They also provided Milton (the Md winner) with free tax counseling during his visit.

I've got plenty of quibbles with this or that detail in the 2007 Dream Home in Winterpark, but it's still the best prize we'll see this year imho. Just as with the previous year's homes...that were much closer to *my* ideal, this is still my plan:

Before I arrive for the HGTV paid "winner's tour" I'll have already spoken with a dozen local Realtors, and gotten a half-dozen listing proposals in hand. During that trip I'll meet with selected agents, and hire one, plus I'll have a sharp pencil understanding of how that market is working. We'll choose a price that will sell.

If it sells for less than the imputed value HGTV placed on it, then my CPA will claim the actual sales amount as the taxable value, based on the "what it is" factor (we sold it brand spanking new, used aggressive professional marketing). The actual market value of the property is what I sold it for. All the decisions regarding the furniture (included it, keep some, leave it in place for showings, but then donate it to charity, etc.) will be part of a business plan.

I'll walk away with a cool half mill, net net after all taxes and fees. Then those 500K "extra value menu" items will be mine, all mine.

pattipick
January 2nd, 2007, 2:59pm
Wow, what a great house! i guess we can all dream............................ :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

bvinton
January 2nd, 2007, 3:08pm
I think I already have the mineral rights to that land,so if you see someone digging in the yard, its just me. :smile9:

lifesfun
January 2nd, 2007, 3:29pm
I think if I won I'd put it on the market but live there until it sold. I wouldn't like living with the bears for long. Bears scare the dickens out of me.

lifesfun
January 2nd, 2007, 3:33pm
is it just me?

I like it except for that silly looking blue panel painting that really doesn't fit in at all with the decor IMO. I do like contemporary art but it just doesn't look right in this house.

I like country and primitive decor though, so maybe that's why this house appeals to me. It seems very cozy.

starwishes67
January 2nd, 2007, 3:47pm
I like it except for that silly looking blue panel painting that really doesn't fit in at all with the decor IMO. I do like contemporary art but it just doesn't look right in this house.

I like country and primitive decor though, so maybe that's why this house appeals to me. It seems very cozy.

Too funny...I absolutely loved the artwork and felt like the furniture didn't fit in! :)

It's a beautiful house in a beautiful area; as have been all the HGTV Dream Homes. I'll enter daily just as I do every year and continue dreaming. As far as all the tax stuff? If only I could be so lucky to have to worry about that!

Best of luck and Happy Sweeping in 2007!

lifesfun
January 2nd, 2007, 4:12pm
Too funny...I absolutely loved the artwork and felt like the furniture didn't fit in! :)

It's a beautiful house in a beautiful area; as have been all the HGTV Dream Homes. I'll enter daily just as I do every year and continue dreaming. As far as all the tax stuff? If only I could be so lucky to have to worry about that!

Best of luck and Happy Sweeping in 2007!

You know this house probably would work with all contemporary decor and furniture. You could sell all the furniture and replace it. In that case, the blue panels can stay. LOL

gcomstock
January 2nd, 2007, 5:19pm
The show itself (which will air again on Sunday @ 5pm et/pt) kind of bugged me. I guess they did more surveys and decided they needed to be more like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. The bit with the interior designer (Linda) shopping with the project manager (Jack) for pillows and light bulbs was way hokey.

The place is freaking fabulous, but I think Linda Woodrum has had a good run...and they need a new interior designer, somebody younger and gayer. The place (like all of them) is just way too jam packed with fussy furniture and objets d'huh? Joan Seffins the host is painfully nice and could no doubt be charming describing a turd...but she just gushes too much. Jack Thomasson seems to have started wearing eye makeup and unbuttoning his shirt (what's next, an megaphone?).

But I'll gush like Joan, wear one of Linda's awful scarfs and soul kiss Jack if I win. Now on to talking you guys out of entering...the taxes will kill you, literally.

jellosheriff
January 2nd, 2007, 5:36pm
anyone notice no closets in the rooms upstairs- when we win we are selling it!!! Paying the taxes and getting something in our dream area... also no doggie houses this year or am I missing them

They never put closets in the extra bedrooms in these dream houses. Drives me nuts! (not that I have to live in them.) :rolleyes: :laugh:

I've been looking for an excuse to go back to Colorado, though. Maybe my folks should win this and share. They're in a better tax bracket. :cool2: :laugh:

lifesfun
January 2nd, 2007, 5:38pm
The show itself (which will air again on Sunday @ 5pm et/pt) kind of bugged me. I guess they did more surveys and decided they needed to be more like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. The bit with the interior designer (Linda) shopping with the project manager (Jack) for pillows and light bulbs was way hokey.

The place is freaking fabulous, but I think Linda Woodrum has had a good run...and they need a new interior designer, somebody younger and gayer. The place (like all of them) is just way too jam packed with fussy furniture and objets d'huh? Joan Seffins the host is painfully nice and could no doubt be charming describing a turd...but she just gushes too much. Jack Thomasson seems to have started wearing eye makeup and unbuttoning his shirt (what's next, an megaphone?).

But I'll gush like Joan, wear one of Linda's awful scarfs and soul kiss Jack if I win. Now on to talking you guys out of entering...the taxes will kill you, literally.

Your too funny. ha..ha..and entertaining.

DorBlack
January 2nd, 2007, 9:35pm
I've looked around a bit and not found where some highly qualified tax professionals have worked out the details as too what this is all going to cost me when I win. In the past people have done: approx taxes on the house, car, furniture, etc. Approx cost each month to keep/run the house till it's sold. And add the $250K back on. You know, what the prize will REALLY be! :laugh: It's these little tidbits that keep me going. Anybody got a link?

mgrundy13
January 2nd, 2007, 10:59pm
Does any know if you can enter ONLINE and via USPS (Mail)? it says enter on line "or" by mail? Thanks!!

gcomstock
January 2nd, 2007, 11:12pm
Does any know if you can enter ONLINE and via USPS (Mail)? it says enter on line "or" by mail? Thanks!!

Once daily online, unlimited via USPS.

"Entrants using US mail may enter as often as they wish."

irishjules
January 2nd, 2007, 11:17pm
IT'S MY TICKET BACK HOME TO COLORADO!!!! I AM HOPING I WILL WIN AND YES I WILL KEEP IT! I LOVE IT AND I AM NOT PICKY ABOUT DECOR - HECK FOR A "FREE" HOUSE IN THE MOUNTAINS OF COLORADO I WOULD TAKE SLEEPING BAGS! I'LL JUST NEED TO GET A DOG FOR THE DOGHOUSE! HAS AN OLSer EVER WON THE DREAM HOME?

anine
January 2nd, 2007, 11:30pm
I would not live in that house...not impressed. The use of space is pathetic. Some of the furniture will be going home with me...but the rest is being dragged out to the garage for a rummage sale...and then bye bye house!

The people that live in that community are probably quite well-to-do and my income bracket is not welcome. Better to grab that cash and run.

BabyLeaps
January 3rd, 2007, 9:46am
Well the winner of this house...will have $250K cash lying around, lol (it's part of the prizing).

Actually the winner of the Maryland house a few years back posted frequently for a short while on the HGTV message board during the following year's contest: he provided an irresistable firsthand account of how the whole thing went down; how the winner was selected, how thoroughly HGTV was prepared to help him, and his his own thinking / planning in deciding to sell. HGTV ended up purging many of his posts (they didn't like the info about their selection method, apparently, even though it was all on the up and up).

Here's the deal: HGTV creates a corporation the assets of which include the real property (land and house) and personal property (car, cash and furniture). This largely simplifies the handoff issues (no need for an escrow or attorney closing) and it supposedly helps the winner handle the taxes from the most advantageous position. They also provided Milton (the Md winner) with free tax counseling during his visit.

I've got plenty of quibbles with this or that detail in the 2007 Dream Home in Winterpark, but it's still the best prize we'll see this year imho. Just as with the previous year's homes...that were much closer to *my* ideal, this is still my plan:

Before I arrive for the HGTV paid "winner's tour" I'll have already spoken with a dozen local Realtors, and gotten a half-dozen listing proposals in hand. During that trip I'll meet with selected agents, and hire one, plus I'll have a sharp pencil understanding of how that market is working. We'll choose a price that will sell.

If it sells for less than the imputed value HGTV placed on it, then my CPA will claim the actual sales amount as the taxable value, based on the "what it is" factor (we sold it brand spanking new, used aggressive professional marketing). The actual market value of the property is what I sold it for. All the decisions regarding the furniture (included it, keep some, leave it in place for showings, but then donate it to charity, etc.) will be part of a business plan.

I'll walk away with a cool half mill, net net after all taxes and fees. Then those 500K "extra value menu" items will be mine, all mine.

Facinating post! Thanks for sharing your game plan (and the former winner's)

CathyVeester
January 3rd, 2007, 9:48am
I love the bowling alley!

snowbabyboo
January 3rd, 2007, 9:56am
I love the bowling alley!

I did too.....but its not in the house. It's in the club house, down the road/hill.

manna
January 3rd, 2007, 9:32pm
Not crazy about the decor of the house, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers! LOL

Seriously, though.. if most any of us won this, we'd sell it anyway, right? So who cares about the decor! I'm seeing green all over! LOL :)

laurenjaye
January 4th, 2007, 1:31pm
Thanks GMCOMSTOCK, awesome reply. OLSers are rockstars!

Hope2WininAZ
January 6th, 2007, 9:47pm
I was reading an article not too long ago and was able to find it online:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art38491.asp

I was curious what everyone has to say, it makes me nervous entering to win something like this because it would have to be a vacation home because it is in a resort area and I didn't see many job opportunities up there when I visited Winter Park a couple years ago.

BUT I am still going to enter I will have to figure out taxes and all that other stuff later! It would be a house that I more than likely wouldn't want to live in anyway.

Good Luck to everyone!

djr58
January 6th, 2007, 10:03pm
I say let's all win it and make it the OLS gathering place for years to come.
Oh, the fun we could have in a dream house like that!

But, can I have dibs on the vehicle?
OK, OK, it was just a suggestion! :toss:

occ1956
January 6th, 2007, 10:10pm
I have a sister and her family living in Denver. What fun it would be to have both our families together. We stayed at Winter Park a few years ago during the summer. Absolutely beautiful country. I would love every part of it.

Jean in Southern Illinois

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!

summersetretriev
January 6th, 2007, 10:22pm
I heard with previous houses that you cannot sell the house for a year. One set of people tried to rent or bring in borders to help pay for taxes whatever they needed to and it wasn't allowed. I think they help with taxes some now.

binski
January 7th, 2007, 7:18pm
I'm winning this year. :halo: And I'm hiring Mr. Comstock as my personal agent. :laugh:

Swift Angler
January 7th, 2007, 7:26pm
This would be the prize of prizes!!! :cheer7:

I'll pray for all of you, but I will pray for me the hardest!! :halo:

:gvibes: :gvibes:

Bassoon2
January 7th, 2007, 7:33pm
Oh Gawd...I would have that thing on the market as soon as I say "Thank you!!"(wink wink!) :cool2:
Of course I would take some STUFF outta there...and the Dog house...

Snow is like Acid Rain to me...Come ON El Nino!!!! WARM WINTER!!!!!!!!! :cheer7:

142connismith
January 7th, 2007, 9:11pm
Please just give me the problem of will I keep it or sell it!!! :cheer7: And yes I would keep the doghouse. :laugh:

Bassoon2
January 7th, 2007, 11:06pm
I think the doghouse is a good thing for spouses who think we waste our time Sweeping.:encore:

bobbyeocean
January 8th, 2007, 3:07pm
I think the doghouse is a good thing for spouses who think we waste our time Sweeping.

LOL. Mine used to complain, until my first big win, This year he had our son-in-law make me an area in the living room instead of the garage so I wouldn't freeze entering sweeps.! :jump:

Peg152
January 10th, 2007, 11:28pm
What ever happened to the 2005 people that kept the house.. Don & Shelley Cruz? They I heard they paid the $650,000 tax bills after people took up collections??? for them??? They would still have a pretty penny if they did sell it.. and they still have their home here in Batavia IL to fall back on, although it was an old farm house that needed tons of work... and now they will want more stuff like new furniture and a hot tub.

manna
January 12th, 2007, 4:22am
What ever happened to the 2005 people that kept the house.. Don & Shelley Cruz? They I heard they paid the $650,000 tax bills after people took up collections??? for them??? They would still have a pretty penny if they did sell it.. and they still have their home here in Batavia IL to fall back on, although it was an old farm house that needed tons of work... and now they will want more stuff like new furniture and a hot tub.

They're still living in the house, but it's up for sale @ nearly $5 million. Ouch!

aspendownhill
January 12th, 2007, 11:59am
Y'all got me so curious about the tax burden, I decided to see for myself...

:sherlock:

A $100,000 home in Winter Park (that's right a $100,000.00 home) the tax rate is

$455.71 per year

http://co.grand.co.us/Assessor/Assessor.html

YIKES!!

fantome2006
January 12th, 2007, 8:33pm
Okay, all the ones in the past had to be sold because the taxes & upkeep were too high, yadda yadda yadda.

I know when they build in these nice communities that it's almost ALWAYS impossible for the HGTV dream home winner to turn it into a B&B or some such thing, but this time...!?!?

I mean, when I win it, I'd love to give BIG discounts for my fellow OLS'ers to rent it for a week or two here and there...!!

:rofl2:

-Sarah

omg, that's a neat possibility. i always thought i would sell it and buy several houses and rent those out, lol. the possibilities are endless with $2.5 mil. i haven't even looked at the house this year yet just b/c i'll be having dreams about it that'll keep me up all night. i guess i better take a look this year, not that i'll win or anything.

fantome2006
January 12th, 2007, 11:09pm
i decided to make another post so more people could read it and hopefully get more info.
if you guys read some of the winner's diary, especially the 2002 winner, it has a lot of info on what happens. very useful stuff to know if you win. the person who won and answered the questions in the forum afterwards is the 2002 winner so go read the diary. the hgtv people seem really nice about everything. glta.

polsky41
January 14th, 2007, 5:15pm
Y'all got me so curious about the tax burden, I decided to see for myself...

:sherlock:

A $100,000 home in Winter Park (that's right a $100,000.00 home) the tax rate is

$455.71 per year

http://co.grand.co.us/Assessor/Assessor.html

YIKES!!
Are you saying 4 Hundred and 55dollars and 71 cents a year Taxes :sherlock: Did I quote you correctly? Can't be right DH informs me we are paying 9,000.00 a year and that with a break, WE have good schools :smile9: They got a gimmick, Election time they always lose on raising taxes. Then they have another day of voting, they whisper it under their breath to us voters and shout it to family who will vote for it, and it always goes thru the second time! Pretty sure there is a law, you have to let the people know there is a second vote,but the law doesn't say you can't put it in the OBITS :laugh: Hey a couple of voters read them :laugh:

rossduck
January 15th, 2007, 10:26am
$455.71 per $100,000 you do the math!

BlueIrishEyes
January 15th, 2007, 1:10pm
is it just me?

Not just you--I would sell that sucker and 99% of the furnishings in a heartbeat. Wood and stick furniture and antler chandeliers are not my style.

Probably fly out, pick up the car and a few of the little knickknacks, visit a realtor drive home.

So when I win--I' let you all know who the realtor is---I can guarantee a good price!!

EAGarner78
January 15th, 2007, 1:15pm
$455.71 per $100,000 you do the math!

That is an incredibly low tax rate for a house. I wish we only paid $455.71 per $100,000!

robsterclaw
January 15th, 2007, 1:22pm
That is an incredibly low tax rate for a house. I wish we only paid $455.71 per $100,000!
Ya, I pay twice that for an appraised value of 140,000.

gcomstock
January 15th, 2007, 2:13pm
Colorado property tax rates are among the nation's lowest, apparently.

In addition to property taxes there will be HomeOwnersAssociation payments (that fabulous community center doesn't come cheap) of currently $750 per month. Plus insurance and utilities.

But the killer for most folks is that first year's income tax hit: your prize is valued at $2.5million, so there's going to be tax due of...what?...$800K to 1mill? Yikes. If you had the credit rating and income to obtain a mortgage loan to cover that $800K payout (you don't, lol) then those mortgage payments would be....around $5K monthly.

So realistically the chances of a winner actually keeping the house are small. But the chances of finding some wealthy Denverite who would love to buy this ultimate weekend ski chalet are pretty good.

If daydreaming about having a fling with Brad Pitt brings up feelings of inadequacy (eg. he wouldn't *really* wanna be with me) you're in the wrong business! Same with the Dream Home- if the practical fact that you probably can't pull off moving there and making the payments "spoils it" for you....and the actual fact that you could still end up (after selling) with hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars after taxes doesn't totally energize your sweeper's soul....then you have visualization problems.

Not trying to hassle anyone, but I sincerely believe ATTITUDE is the biggest contributor to success, and you can observe attitudes that "chase prosperity away." Moaning about what you don't have never helps you get more, or keep what you have~ Rich Uncle 101. Sure there is good and bad luck, but you gotta get ready!

What's that my role model, SpongeBob Squarepants says? I'm ready!

Valerie46
January 15th, 2007, 2:35pm
Well gang this is truly one gorgeous house. I enter every year everyday, but I don't know what I would do if I won the taxes on last years house was $600,000 how would you ever come up with that unless you are rich in the first place. I have read the stories on the people that won and only a couple have actually been able to keep the house and that is sad. It is a sweepstakes prize there should be someway to fix it that whoever won would be able to keep it. They know when they give it away no one will be able to keep it. Oh well just another dream prize.

pandahugger
January 15th, 2007, 2:56pm
I'm in! I don't even want to keep it. It's all about the $$$ for me. :smile9:

captmonk1
January 15th, 2007, 3:51pm
Surely some sweepers out there know a Senator or Rep. they can Lobby to fix these sweepstakes laws. People who win sweeps should not have to pay taxes on that stuff. Make the company giving the items away pay the taxes or charge no taxes or something.

inspiringmind
January 15th, 2007, 4:04pm
Wouldn't that be a double banner year of I won this? Yeah, I am going to enter it.

justus
January 15th, 2007, 4:12pm
We were in Winter Park the first week of January - didn't have time to post until now. Luckily, our oldest daughter remembered on Saturday morning that she needed a book for school on Monday, so we left Winter Park earlier than we originally planned. We got through Berthoud Pass on I-40 approx. 15 minutes before the avalanche that swept 2 cars off the road. Thank goodness no one was hurt - it was truly a miracle.

I haven't seen any of the HGTV programs on the house so please excuse any redundancies. The gated enclave in which this house is located is the only subdivision right on the slopes - and therefore, quite desirable. To ski out you take a green trail down to the Zephyr Express and the base of Winter Park. The trail is sloped enough that you don't have to push and quite scenic. To ski in you take blue (albeit easy blue) or black runs on the Mary Jane side of the resort. Truly novice skiers would not find this a ski-in property.

The builder/developer of this subdivision has received quite a bit of media attention in the local publications recently for various projects he has going, including this one. According to local publications, people did not believe this subdivision would get off the ground both because of the approvals needed and the difficulty in building on the site. Approximately one-third of the lots in this subdivision are sold/reserved. There is at least one house for sale in the 2.9 million range. One of the main selling points made to prospective purchasers is that there are stringent restrictions in place to insure the value of investments -therefore, do not enter thinking you will be able to rent this house out.

For those who have not been to Winter Park before, it is great skiing and convenient to Denver (altough I-70 gets backed up easily and often). However, for those looking for loads of nightlife and great shopping this is not the ski town for you. In short, if you love skiing, are content with great scenery and have the money to afford it this would be a GREAT house - otherwise, you will have to try to sell. One potential concern in my mind for anyone trying to sell is that it will not be ski season when you take possession and therefore, may have to pay the holding costs for at least several months while looking for a seller. On the bright side, of course, you will have 100% equity and should be able to get a loan if necessary to cover those costs while trying to sell.

wackydackydoo
January 15th, 2007, 5:16pm
Surely some sweepers out there know a Senator or Rep. they can Lobby to fix these sweepstakes laws. People who win sweeps should not have to pay taxes on that stuff. Make the company giving the items away pay the taxes or charge no taxes or something.

The sponsor has no say or control over taxes. In some rare sweepstakes, where a sponsor does pay taxes on the prize, you are still required to report that amount along with the main prize as "other income" and pay taxes on that also.

mishka
January 15th, 2007, 11:32pm
I'm hoping I'll win this one so I can sell it to pay off our house in Lake Tahoe! :frown3:

jellosheriff
January 19th, 2007, 9:05am
My dad hopes to keep this if he wins. Since they're retired ski bums, it would be perfect for them. I really hope they win. :cool2:

Ashton7
January 22nd, 2007, 1:47am
The sponsor has no say or control over taxes. In some rare sweepstakes, where a sponsor does pay taxes on the prize, you are still required to report that amount along with the main prize as "other income" and pay taxes on that also.

There is such a thing as "truing up" your taxes. My employer did it when they paid for my relocation expenses. There is a formula they use to figure out what your tax burden will be. They reimburse you for that amount. Then they figure what the taxes will be on *that* amount. And they reimburse you again. And so on until finally the difference between what you have to pay and what you are reimbursed is so negligible as to not matter.

wackydackydoo
January 22nd, 2007, 8:15am
There is such a thing as "truing up" your taxes. My employer did it when they paid for my relocation expenses. There is a formula they use to figure out what your tax burden will be. They reimburse you for that amount. Then they figure what the taxes will be on *that* amount. And they reimburse you again. And so on until finally the difference between what you have to pay and what you are reimbursed is so negligible as to not matter.

Unfortunately, the sponsors who do give a cash amount for paying taxes on a prize don't do that!! It still helps cut down on the taxes a tiny bit, but some people don't realize that they still have to pay taxes on the cash amount given for taxes.

joenkim
January 22nd, 2007, 8:32am
I keep seeing posts where sweepers are saying "I hope I win".

Is there a sweeper out there who wants to lose?

jellosheriff
January 22nd, 2007, 8:42am

Sure! I want to lose all the ones I don't enter! :laugh:

Janet
January 22nd, 2007, 8:50am

Hope is elusive and maybe not attainable.

I use positive present tense affirmations. I will win!!, and positive visualization of actually winning :)

goldnlc
January 22nd, 2007, 5:38pm
am just wondering, since this property is exclusive

wonder if they do a screening on possible winner prior to contacting them

can just imagine how the neighbors would feel if Momma and Poppa drive up in their battered 1979 mini truck and have the cousins in tow

If they don't screen the possible winner, could be like the Bev. Hillbillys moving next door. Can't see that happening in there. Bet there would be several lawsuits registered against the Contest Site submitted by property holders in that community.

pennypav
January 22nd, 2007, 5:55pm
I think I could win the Powerball easier than this one! Do you know how many entries they get on this? Googles!! I see people I work with entering this who have never entered anything before! :laugh: I guess I'll keep entering and hope the sweeps gods smile on me this year!! :gvibes: :gvibes:

wackydackydoo
January 22nd, 2007, 7:51pm
l.*am just wondering, since this property is exclusive

can just imagine how the neighbors would feel if Momma and Poppa drive up in their battered 1979 mini truck and have the cousins in tow

If they don't screen the possible winner, could be like the Bev. Hillbillys moving next door. Can't see that happening in there. Bet there would be several lawsuits registered against the Contest Site submitted by property holders in that community.

I believe that such profiling has long since become illegal.

diannediamond
January 23rd, 2007, 1:23pm
Does anyone know if an OLS member has ever been a finalist in the dream house sweep?

bowlpatty
January 28th, 2007, 10:29pm
I'm in! I don't even want to keep it. It's all about the $$$ for me. :smile9:

Can we take the money but not the house?

laurenk503
January 28th, 2007, 10:38pm
I love that house! :)

Tricia316
February 4th, 2007, 2:49pm
How often are people entering my snail mail? Or are people just entering online this year? I think the winner last year just entered online once a day every day of the sweeps.

Any thoughts on the number of entries really making a difference? Didn't they get 30 million entries last year?

GLTA!
Tricia

kakes
February 4th, 2007, 2:55pm
How often are people entering my snail mail? Or are people just entering online this year?
Tricia

1 snail per day and 1 online entry per day here ;)

glta!!

wackydackydoo
February 4th, 2007, 2:55pm
How often are people entering my snail mail? Or are people just entering online this year? I think the winner last year just entered online once a day every day of the sweeps.

Any thoughts on the number of entries really making a difference? Didn't they get 30 million entries last year?

GLTA!
Tricia

I enter once a day online. The more entries you get in gives you more opportunities/chances to win; but, in the end, it's still random.

inspiringmind
February 12th, 2007, 1:12am
am just wondering, since this property is exclusive

I know I am dredging this thread back up...but since the date for the drawing is getting close I decided to rewrite. I read the rules and they say that they do a background check. Now that would only be for things like to find out if you have ever been arrested and such. They can't screen you unless they have your social security number and such so they have to contact you first. I mean, what if I have a very familiar first and last name? They are not going to be able to screen me without contacting me first. No where did I read that they were going to have finalists like in the past years, it says that the grand prize winner will be chosen from all the entries and that number depends on how many entries they get. It says nothing in there about not being able to sell the house for a year. So, unless that's in the affy they give you, I don't see it.

And as an added thing to a past post I have 36 online entries and my DH has 34. So we will continue to enter till the end of the week. (And make sure our house is clean the week of March 18th! LOL)

Janir
February 12th, 2007, 4:54am

I agree, very disappointing, especially those ugly bedrooms & all that plaid stuff & stick beds? Yuck. What's wrong with clean simple lines & decor in a clean simple setting? I guess everybody's taste is different, but to me this decor is cluttered & cheap-looking. Maybe it looks better in person...

Techgromit
February 13th, 2007, 3:14pm
Colorado property tax rates are among the nation's lowest, apparently.

In addition to property taxes there will be HomeOwnersAssociation payments (that fabulous community center doesn't come cheap) of currently $750 per month. Plus insurance and utilities.

But the killer for most folks is that first year's income tax hit: your prize is valued at $2.5million, so there's going to be tax due of...what?...$800K to 1mill? Yikes. If you had the credit rating and income to obtain a mortgage loan to cover that $800K payout (you don't, lol) then those mortgage payments would be....around $5K monthly.

So realistically the chances of a winner actually keeping the house are small. But the chances of finding some wealthy Denverite who would love to buy this ultimate weekend ski chalet are pretty good.

I was figuring out the taxes on winning such a prize, and it's down right scary. 2.5 million = a tax bill around 875,000 dollars. If you were to use the cash to pay some of the taxes, your left with 625,000 to cough up to the IRS. Sure many people suggest just to sell it, but considering how slow the housing market is right now, how long can you afford to let it sit on the market before IRS interest and Pentalies eat you alive. You could of course take out a home equity loan for say 650k to make the IRS happy, that would give you a loan payment somewhere around $3,900 a month, way more than I make. Add that to your "low" property tax of $450 per 100k, times 20 of those 100k's and your looking at a whopping $9,000 tax bill, add in any housing insurance and homeowner association fees, and your looking at around $5,200 a month in costs. I was looking at rental fee's in the area, and it averages to around 300 dollars a night, so you could potentially make 9k a month renting the property out, but also consider most rental agencies take 35% for there services in locating renters and charge other fees associated with cleaning the house after each renter, giving you a total income of around 5,850 under ideal rental conditions a month. Sounds doable, but it's no picnic. So if you win, consider carefully the potential nightmare your winning.

I had to edit my original post, I thought it was 2.5 million dollar house plus 250k cash, but it's 2.5 million including the cash, which changes the math from something that would have cost you money each month, to something that can earn you a slim profit each month. Also the rental rates could be as high as $750 a night at peak season, but some averaging has to be considered when the house is unrented at off-peak seasons. I would think the novelity some people would get from renting a house that was on TV would keep it book well for the first few years of ownership.

Tricia316
February 13th, 2007, 3:18pm
Most of the HGTV homes have written in their neighborhood covenant that you CAN NOT rent it out.

Tricia

Tricia316
February 13th, 2007, 3:22pm
I know I am dredging this thread back up...but since the date for the drawing is getting close I decided to rewrite. I read the rules and they say that they do a background check. Now that would only be for things like to find out if you have ever been arrested and such. They can't screen you unless they have your social security number and such so they have to contact you first. I mean, what if I have a very familiar first and last name? They are not going to be able to screen me without contacting me first. No where did I read that they were going to have finalists like in the past years, it says that the grand prize winner will be chosen from all the entries and that number depends on how many entries they get. It says nothing in there about not being able to sell the house for a year. So, unless that's in the affy they give you, I don't see it.

And as an added thing to a past post I have 36 online entries and my DH has 34. So we will continue to enter till the end of the week. (And make sure our house is clean the week of March 18th! LOL)

I think last year they called the three potential winners and pretended to be delivery people to make sure the person was home. Then they filmed the three people opening their house doors. THEN they did the paperwork for the background checks. then they announced the three people as potential winners for the show. So there is some downtime between picking the potential winner, filming them at home and doing the background check before showing them on TV. If they turn out to be a deadbeat or ax murderer they still have time to pick the next potential winner and film them.

Tricia

Techgromit
February 13th, 2007, 3:43pm
Most of the HGTV homes have written in their neighborhood covenant that you CAN NOT rent it out.

Tricia

There's nothing in the offical rules regaurding this, I think a lawyer could successful fight this exculsion in court on your behalf.

Tricia316
February 13th, 2007, 3:51pm
It doesn't have to be in the contest's official rules, it could be in the HOA guidelines. If the neighborhood association has said no rentals the winner is not going to be allowed to rent or turn it in the a bed and breakfast. And one of the houses in the past was on land not owned by the winner of the house. It was some sort of leased land thing going on so you could live in the house but you couldn't do anything else with it.

If someone from OLS wins it and tries to keep it many people on here will laugh at them a year from now when they say they can't pay the tax bills....

Tricia

Luana2sea
February 13th, 2007, 3:57pm
:jump: Well, I plan to never even see it when I win it and put it up for sell, pay off the

taxes and debt and then move South. :toot:

wackydackydoo
February 13th, 2007, 4:05pm
There's nothing in the offical rules regaurding this, I think a lawyer could successful fight this exculsion in court on your behalf.

It doesn't matter what is in the rules. It depends on where the house was built. As I have lived in a lake community before with an association, they had what are called "deed restrictions" where they can dictate what you can or cannot do with your own property. You can try to legally dispute if the municipality's codes have something in them to override the association, but that comes down to the judge's decision.