PDA

View Full Version : Greedy relatives and wills

quiznos
September 3rd, 2006, 11:24am
Have you had any nightmares regarding greedy volture relatives and wills that loved ones have left behind?

All I wanted was my relatives license to remember him by and I couldn't even get that.

zelda
September 3rd, 2006, 11:33am
My MIL's litle brother died, year before last.

He was divorced and had two young children who lived with their mother. My MIL had to drive to his home a few states away, to handle his affairs. While she was at his home, his ex wife showed up and wante to know if she would be receiving that months child support.

Now if she REALLY needed the $ I could see it, BUT

My husband's uncle was a multi-millionare he was one of the VP's at Pfizer. This woman recieved $100,000.00 a month in child support. She is also married, and her husband works.

There was around $50,000 left to his parents, and the rest of his estate was left to his children (the oldest was 12 at the time).

Feisty Girl
September 3rd, 2006, 11:34am
I haven't had to deal with this issue but I've heard the horror stories, it just sad.

Traumajunky
September 3rd, 2006, 11:36am
I haven't had to deal with wills but I can understand your pain.

My grandmother died when I was 13. I asked for one thing of hers. She had a Sucrets (cough drop tin) box that had rattlesnake tails in it. I remember playing with that all the time as a kid, and it really reminded me of her. To this day, I still ask my aunt for it, knowing full well that she has not opened it or done anything with that box in the 20 years since my grandmother died. She still will not let me have it.

I did end up with her rocking chair, through a weird twist of events. I love it but still want those rattlesnake tails!

Sorry for your loss and having to deal with this.

missreneer
September 3rd, 2006, 11:36am
Oh my goodness. This has been the story of my life since my father in law passed in June. It has honestly been a living HELL with my husband's step-mother. She's a mean, horrible, greedy, witch. Awww, geese now you got me started :laugh:
Damnit, I'm going to grab a drink. See you guys later.

rewcatherine
September 3rd, 2006, 11:40am
I thought I'd never have to deal with anything like this - and now early this summer my father at 86 years old was put in a nursing home before he or any of his immediate family were even told. come to find out my stepmother and her daughter had my dad sign power of attorney over to the daughter, they put him in a nursing home that week and step mother says it's so she won't lose her home - so daughter can have it. There was never a discussion about it - not even to my dad, there were plenty of other options but they would have involved the sale of the house they shared for 16 years of marriage she said no way.

quiznos
September 3rd, 2006, 11:41am
Oh my goodness. This has been the story of my life since my father in law passed in June. It has honestly been a living HELL with my husband's step-mother. She's a mean, horrible, greedy, witch. Awww, geese now you got me started :laugh:
Damnit, I'm going to grab a drink. See you guys later.

:laugh: Sorry about the troubles though :gvibes:

Captain Nemo
September 3rd, 2006, 11:51am
thew entire family on my mothers side it totally alienated from me for about 35 years.
it was because of my father actions when my mothers brothers passed on.
he was bad.

packerfan
September 3rd, 2006, 11:55am
Yup, I could tell you storiesd to make your head spin. Finally after 16 yrs, my Uncles are talking to me- My parents took care of Grandmother- thier whole lives, and so did my sister and I when they needed us. Unfortunaly both my parents passed away very young- 56 and 59- and I was left in charge of everthing. Of course when my parents wre alive no one to handle my Grandmothers affairs, after all why should they my parents were there. The day my Dad dies- 6 months after my MOM- the first call I get is well now Uncle so and so will handle Grandma's money. Not like ther was much- She received 268.00 a month SS, and the last 2 years of here life she was in a nusing home. They took 238.00 and 30.00 a month went into an account for her personal use. Up until 2 days before she died I was offically the next of kin on the papers from the nursing home. Needless to say they all accused me of stealing all my Grandmothers money-

I do not care its 100.00 or a hundred million, when someone does everyon wants something-

I must say my sister and I never ,ever had a word about my parents money- we just split everything.

newbeginnings08
September 3rd, 2006, 11:59am
My parents have very detailed wills, my husband and I have very detailed wills and my grandparents before me. So, luckily, when my grandparents died we didn't go through any of that and when my parents or my husband and I pass on, other family members won't have to face a horrible experience.

hawkshoe
September 3rd, 2006, 12:01pm
I hate it when I hear of people fighting over estates. My feeling is this, the money belongs to the person and they have a right to leave it as they wish. Their siblings, children, etc. have no right to expect anything. If something is left to them, it should be a blessing not and expectation. I honestly don't care if I get anything from my parents or anyone else for that matter. When my grandmother passed, all I asked for was a stuffed animal I remember seeing at her house every time I visited. I got that and a few pieces of costume jewelry and was thrilled.

Nubbs820
September 3rd, 2006, 12:02pm
Yes, well sort of. My dh and his brother and sister were entrusted their grandparents home. However, his brother got the house. My dh wasn't too savvy on all the legal stuff. His brother was the executor of the will and he and his lawyer said it was his because he was the exector, it didn't matter who the stuff was entrusted to. Well I know that to be total BS but my dh didn't, wouldn't, won't say anything to his brother about being a greedy (insert any explative here). I have other reasons for not liking the brother and this isn't one of them. Not my inheiratence, not my grandparent, not my worry.

chilizilla
September 3rd, 2006, 12:02pm
My aunt is very greedy. My grandma died this past Feb and within hours of her passing my aunt took her jewerly box! She came in and took everything of value after that too. She had control of my grandma's finances because when my grandma had a stroke last year she went behind everyone's back and had this done. Now there is no money left. What a shock. :worry: Needless to say I have an attorney now. My aunt thinks everything goes to her because she is the only surviving child. My mom died 4 years ago. Wrong! I truly detest my aunt and her family. I can't wait for this to be over so I never have to see them again. The funny thing is, both my grandma and mom told to me to fight for what my brother are entitled to, because they both knew what a greedy backstabbing witch my aunt is. :mad2:

tweety
September 3rd, 2006, 12:09pm
Yes. I always thought it ridiculous that family would fight over a will until it happened in my family. My Japanese relatives gave my mom a hard time letting her claim what was left to her and me, mostly, I think because we are American citizens and we live here. (It's not that they don't like Americans. In fact, they really love my father.)

It was a nightmare. Almost everything was to be split evenly between the children, except for my uncle because he is male - it's traditional for sons to get more. And for some reason, they left me a condo and none of the other grandchildren were left anything. I wanted my mom to collect, but they gave her such a hard time over the years that I told her to drop it. (Went on over five years after my grandfather died, then again after the deaths of my grandmother and aunt.) One of the most vocal challengers was my new aunt who married my uncle.

The amount would have been substantial and helpful to my parents, who were military. It was also annoying because my mother's other living sister is married to a multimillionaire. She should have what was left to her, but to fight over my what was left to my mother really upsets me.

I think it's greedy for people to challenge a will, unless there has been a manipulation like what happened with misreneer and rewcatherine.

By the way, I'm sorry you couldn't acquire that one small license plate. :frown3:

mickeyirish69
September 3rd, 2006, 12:19pm
I have only had one person in the family die that I would even be mentioned in the will and it was my grandmother who was very smart about her set up.
My Grandfather on my fathers side did just pass away last winter though and I guess I could have made a fool of myself if I had pursued it. I am sure they have a couple of million in assets and I am low income so it would have helped but they do not keep in contact with me even though I have tried. They have always blamed my mother for ruining my fathers life, she is a mess but so was my father. When I was little the would see me once in a while but as I got older they just decied to forget about me. Last time I saw them was about 6 yrs ago I took my son and after 1.2 hour she asked if I could leave for my son was too little and giving her a headache.
On the greedy side my dads Mom is one of the best. When my great grandma died whom did keep in contact with me and I knew loved me she left all the grandkids 10 thousand dollars and I never got mine for she left it in trust with my grandparents for I was a minor. I only found out as an adult my Aunt told me how she never thought it was right. I was also never informed my grandfather died I saw auction listings a mth after the fact for she was selling all his man stuff. (Tools, boat ect ect)
There are a lot of horror stories about her and I guess I missed my chance to make a spectical and be greedy but I figured getting some money from them would not make them treat me like family so I passed.

missreneer
September 3rd, 2006, 12:23pm
I hate it when I hear of people fighting over estates. My feeling is this, the money belongs to the person and they have a right to leave it as they wish. Their siblings, children, etc. have no right to expect anything. If something is left to them, it should be a blessing not and expectation. I honestly don't care if I get anything from my parents or anyone else for that matter. When my grandmother passed, all I asked for was a stuffed animal I remember seeing at her house every time I visited. I got that and a few pieces of costume jewelry and was thrilled.

I understand that but unfortunately in my case my husbands step-mom has been getting her hands on dad's accounts unauthorized and cashing checks. Our lawyer has sent us proof. She has also held on to things that by law were to be given to my husband. She has already cashed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of checks. Dad also owned a home that my husband and step-mom now own together and the heifer (oops, I mean step-mom) wrongfully evicted the tenant behind our backs.
One of the craziest and strangest things was the fact that my husband played basketball in college and she refused to give my husband his own trophies that his father had, they even have my husbands name on them. Just hateful....GRRRRRR Lol!!! :laugh:
I hate to make it seem like it is all about money but they were only married for 1 year, 10 of those months they were seperated and she didnt even call us to tell us he passed, we found out from a family member calling the hospital to check on him and be told he had passed. She is a disgusting woman but I know that if we do the right thing we will be rewarded. Not necessarily financially but I know I can sleep at night. I'm sure eventually she wont have that same luxury.
Sorry for venting :mad2: :frown3: :gvibes: :laugh:

Wow that felt GOOD!!!

missreneer
September 3rd, 2006, 12:25pm
:laugh: Sorry about the troubles though :gvibes:
I'm sorry you werent able to get the license. Hopefully one day something positive will coe from the situation :gvibes:

suelee000
September 3rd, 2006, 12:25pm
By the time that Mom died last spring, we had sold her house and she was living with me and my sister. THe money from the house was in the bank account, which was a joint account in my name. Since she didn't have anything in just her name, we didn't have to submit the will for probate

My sister and I divided up her personal belongings. I made Julie cry. She was the oldest granddaughter so she got Mom's wedding rings (plural the old ones and the new ones). We divided up her bone china and the rest of her jewelry. Everyone just got to choose what they wanted. I put the rest of the jewelry away for the granddaughter who could not attend the funeral. We are going to a wedding next week and now I have to find the jewelry to give to that granddaugher.

The money from selling the house paid for her funeral and then I divided it up just the way the will said. Mostly in five ways. My late brother's children got his share, my late sister's children got her share, my brother, sister and I got a share. I got what was leftover in some other accounts, which Mom had promised was mine.

Part of why it worked so well is that Mom had made some of her wishes known ahead of time. She had been giving away her bone china teacups for the last few years. Someone got the one that i had my eye on, so well.

willows00
September 3rd, 2006, 12:47pm
i heard a story from my husband's side that when some aunt died, one of the relatives backed up a truck to her house and started loading up stuff the day after she died. that's just horrendous.

i have 3 brothers and a sister, and my mom has already told us that when she dies, the house will be sold and then the proceeds split up. b/c she thinks if she gave us each 1/5 of the house, one of the kids might try to guilt us into giving him the house. or selling it to him cheap. she didn't want us to fight over that.

people just constantly amaze me.

sweptup2
September 3rd, 2006, 1:00pm
Yes, my husband was in his parents will.

After his dad died his sisters had his mother change the will so my husband gets nothing.

We just found out the sisters have to put his mother in a nursing home, they have to sell the house for her care, they will get nothing also.

Karma is going to get you!!! :)

ginnylee38
September 3rd, 2006, 1:13pm
One of my Aunts asked the nurse to take off my Grandmothers rings and give them to her moments after she passed.

SeaAngel
September 3rd, 2006, 1:15pm
My mom passed in 2004 without a will, however she left a small amount of money with me for the care of her dog. My sibs wanted that money for themselves and there was a huge, ugly battle when I refused to give it to them. As pay back they refused to help me pay for the portion of her funeral that her burial insurance didn't cover. One of my sibs did slip me a few items of mom's before the others took what they wanted and set fire to the rest. Funny thing is that we were all fairly close before that, I will never understand what got into them. :worry:

caseycupcake
September 3rd, 2006, 1:30pm
When my FIL died a few years back, what little he had ($9k insurance) went to Hubby. After paying the funeral, he divided it up equally between his 3 sibblings and the 10 grand kids. Everyone was thrilled. He couldn't see any reason to keep the money. It wasn't really enough to change anyone's life and he knew that his dad would have wanted it that way (although he never thought enough ahead to make a will).

DDFuller
September 3rd, 2006, 2:03pm
My father died in 2002, and my stepmom has been difficult to say the least.

She was executor of the will. Dad left all personal items to my sister and me (they were just married a few years) and the house to his wife. We got along fine before he died, but after he was gone she turned mean. I had to beg for any items of his. The 1st time, she let us come over and get a few things. (She didn't invite us inside, she put things in the garage)
But we were missing lots of things including photos. I asked for them, and after putting us off for weeks, finally got a few more things. I made a list of things I knew he wanted us to have that were missing. Then she sent a letter through a lawyer saying we could come to the lawyer's office within 5 days and get the last bit. I don't know why she went the lawyer route, it was very strange.

However, I am still missing things including my deceased Grandfather's metals, like his purple heart and all of his photos. She says she doesn't have them, but I've seen them at their house right before my Dad died. I don't even think she has bothered to look for them. She doesn't care. I've called lawyers, and they say there is nothing I can do. So, with a stepparent, you are at their mercy.

It is really weird how people change after a death. I think in my case, maybe our stepmom never liked us to begin with and was pretending. When my Dad died she no longer had to pretend. I tell people we are like Cinderella and the evil stepmother.

daisy3600
September 3rd, 2006, 2:31pm
Goodness, yes.

When my husband's grandmother died a couple of years ago she left her car to my husband's mother and her trailer to my husband's aunt and her family. We had just walked out of the room moments after she passed away and my husband's uncle whispers to his wife, "I want that car."

We were all mortified. :shocked2:

Little did we know, that was just the beginning.

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

Fidget
September 3rd, 2006, 2:37pm
DH's grandfather had to pay buccoo bucks to set up this whole funky trust thing with his will specfically to make sure that DH's step mother could lay no claim to the money. DH's father is in his 60s and works two jobs b/c of her spending habits and great grandpa want to make sure he could have a chance at retiring and possibly having a bit left over to pass on to the grandkids.

DH's father now has started doing some complicated set up to make sure his kids will get an inheritance since she has taken great pains to basically cut him (her own husband!) out of the will. Should she die, teh house they live in and he has maintained and bettered over the last 17 years would not belong to him even partially, this after he sold his home and land (which is now worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to move in with her) :worry:

its a whole huge mess and i do not look forward to one day having to hash it all out

robsterclaw
September 3rd, 2006, 3:03pm
My Grandma died last year, and her an my mom were not close anymore, after a big fight. My mom expected nothing, but her 2 brothers said nope, she should get a third. They knew the fight was primarily my grandma's fault, and she wouldn't talk to my mom anymore. I thought that was very cool of my uncles.

Now my ex's dad is a whole different story. He inherited 100k, and since the whole family knew his new wife was just a gold digger, he only got his money after nagging his mom for years. My ex and her 2 sister's are not in his will anymore, the evil stepmother's kid's get it all, but the karma is they went through all the money, and he's stuck with the witch now that they are too old (theoretically) to find new mates. :)

zohyeahz
September 3rd, 2006, 3:04pm
It's stories like these that are the reason I decided to become a wills and estates lawyer. I find it so disgusting that people change wills so late in life when it should be obvious that a reasonable person would suspect manipulation. I've heard so many horror stories like this. The best way to stop it happening to you is to have a VERY detailed will. If your will is 200 pages, so what? You only write it once! My grandmother, she's so cute, she puts masking tape on stuff and a little note saying "Promised to Donnie 1995." Hey, you have to do what you have to do!

rettak
September 3rd, 2006, 3:05pm
It happened to me but hey what comes around goes around.I must say though I was really hurt by all of it.

waawab
September 3rd, 2006, 8:12pm
no but I see one coming.. with my brothers wives

daskds
September 3rd, 2006, 8:30pm
When my Dad passed a couple of years ago, a son from his first marriage crawled out of the woodworks and through the courts found out the lawyer that was handling Dads probate. Now, I didn't say this was his son because although Dad was married to the mother at the time of his birth, the kid was born just 6 months after Dad returned from overseas. And he was NOT premature.

So, the Mom soon divorced Dad and remarried, kid was adopted by new father and we never heard from him again until my Dad passed. Someone in Dad's family felt this kid 'deserved' to know his father was dead and that my sister and I were processing the estate.

Now he wanted to know what was going to be his! Dad had a house worth maybe $50k and a beat up little truck worth maybe a grand.

Fortunately the will clearly listed my sis and myself as the only beneficiaries. Lawyer said it would cost the 'brother' thousands to contest. Since he is living in an apartment in California with no known job, we haven't heard from him since our lawyer sent him a copy of the will.

Thanks Dad for caring enough to draw up a will or we would still be dealing with this dead beat!

It was truely amazing.

vdeliz
September 3rd, 2006, 8:46pm
I feel so sorry for those people who had horrible experiences. In my case, it could not have been better. We are three siblings and everything was divided in thirds. We called some of our family and they came and took some stuff that was left over after we divided and took what we wanted. All expenses were divided amongst the three of us too. To this way we are really close and talk to each more often than we used to.

Nickcoty
September 3rd, 2006, 8:50pm
My husbands father passed away leaving everything to be divided equally between his two sons ( my husband and his brother) Our business is located in a building he and the other son owned together. Due to some antiquated law in Maine any jointly owner property goes to the surviving owner, reguardless of what a will specifies. Instead of honoring his fathers wishes to share ownership of the building (3/4 to 1/4), his brother kept the whole building for himself, bought a million dollar motor home and retired. We now have to pay rent to the theiving greedy brother and are struggling to get by. My husband asked to have his fathers van and was told he'd have to buy his brothers half out first. Interesting that the building was all his, but the van had to be split equally. He did it legally but morally, He stole it. My husband has worked in that building his whole life, many years with his dad. It's just wrong.

missreneer
September 3rd, 2006, 8:55pm
My husbands father passed away leaving everything to be divided equally between his two sons ( my husband and his brother) Our business is located in a building he and the other son owned together. Due to some antiquated law in Maine any jointly owner property goes to the surviving owner, reguardless of what a will specifies. Instead of honoring his fathers wishes to share ownership of the building (3/4 to 1/4), his brother kept the whole building for himself, bought a million dollar motor home and retired. We now have to pay rent to the theiving greedy brother and are struggling to get by. My husband asked to have his fathers van and was told he'd have to buy his brothers half out first. Interesting that the building was all his, but the van had to be split equally. He did it legally but morally, He stole it. My husband has worked in that building his whole life, many years with his dad. It's just wrong.
:worry: :mad2: That's a damn shame. How do people like that sleep at night

meeeee
September 3rd, 2006, 9:00pm
with all the above stories that is terrible all I can say is karma will come back and bite them with any luck

That is why DH and I have wills drawn out then there is not question who gets what and how much of it

mellew41
September 3rd, 2006, 9:08pm
My boyfriends father died in a motorcycle wreck caused by his wife in 2000. She was riding a bike that was too big for her and he saw she was going to wreck so his father wrecked on purpose to make her wreck less as bad...ok my boyfriend is this man's only child. She would not even give him a t shirt. His dad made a will that left everything to him but it was not dated so she did not share. he had a brand new Harley for him but she sold everything this man worked for and would not even let his own son in the house. It's a shame.

mellew41
September 3rd, 2006, 9:11pm
My Grandfather is a selfless man he looked forward everyday to helping others in need. When his brother died from a battle with cancer. There nephew took anything valuable out of the house. Before he died the nephew was over there washing his car. It was bad. My uncle new he was dying soon in the hospital so he gave my Grandfather all the money he had on him which was a good amount. No one knew about the money and my Grandfather split the money with his nephew

daskds
September 3rd, 2006, 10:52pm
with all the above stories that is terrible all I can say is karma will come back and bite them with any luck

You can only hope.... I hope it bites the greedy Bas!@rds hard.

TrueBrunette
September 3rd, 2006, 11:21pm
How ironic you typed this....we are going through my MIL's will & boy are the true "personalities" coming out of the woodwork!! She did not have any cash, but she has an extensive coin, stamp & beautiful jewelry collection (she worked at a jewelers for 23 years) & boy are 4 of her 5 kids fighting like mad for what they believe is their share. What happened with a bunch of the jewelry is that she gave out to people that were not stated in her will towards the end (long story....many years of manipulating her children, etc) & so she has created total drama now with her not giving the pieces to the kids she willed them to. My DH (the baby) finally walked away from all the fuss & stated he does not want a thing. It is beyond a mess...! :worry: So sad........

pumpkinpie516
September 3rd, 2006, 11:47pm
Boy..... do I have a story to tell! Do you have some time?

My Grandfather (my Father's Father) died in February 1996. Grandpa was an Archie Bunker type, always looking to pick a fight with his kids and grandkids. When he made out his first will he appointed my Dad as executor because he was the oldest of my Grandfathers 3 children. When he got mad at my Dad he would change his executor to one of the kids he was not mad at, and if he became mad at the new executor he would change it again, and again. He was always mad at somebody. At the time of his death my Uncle Tony was executor. My Dad did'nt care, but my Aunt Lisa did. Aunt Lisa borrowed money from my Grandfather all the time. She owed him $15,000 at the time of his death. He knew that and deducted the money from her inheritance. She had a fit! She wanted the same amount her brothers received, but her brothers did'nt owe their father any money. She cursed and accused my Dad and my Uncle of all sorts of things. My Dad trying to be peacemaker tried to calm her down, but she continued ranting and cursing. She hates both her brothers and will not talk to them or their families. I was close to my Aunt Lisa and she cut me out of her life all because of a silly will. Money was more important to her than family. To make matters worse she had access to some of my Grandfather accounts and she emptied them as quickly as she could before her brothers found out. When my Uncle Tony accused her of stealing money from the accounts, she denied it, but he has proof. He could have made a big stink about it, but he let it go. He lived in another state and did'nt want to be bothered fighting her. He had a business to run back home. My Aunt also took money that was earmarked for me, my siblings and my cousins. We did'nt fight it either, because the situation was so volatile, and we wanted to try and keep the family intact and the money was less than a $1000.00, so it was not worth it. I tried to talk to my Aunt Lisa this year to sort out everything that happened 10 years ago, and try to make amends over all the hurt feelings, and she welcomed me with open arms. She told me everything that happened and I heard alot of half truths, but she did admit to taking money from 2 of my Grandfathers accounts, but I did'nt have it in me to ask why she took money from me, I figured all in due time. Sigh....... the saga will continue..... :frown3:

porkyloo
September 4th, 2006, 12:04am
My family was split apart because of a will.

When my great-grandmother died a couple of her siblings and their children took it upon themselves to go to her house and try to take things they wanted. My poor great-grandfather was sitting in his favorite chair mourning the loss of his beloved wife and the relatives were trying to pilfer her belongings.

She had a will and was very specific about who the belongings were to go to. Those relatives didn't care what she put in her will and became very angry with the people they went to. It fractured the family. This happened when I was a baby and I didn't know about it until I got interested in genealogy a while back.

My grandmother was giving me the names of those family members and I came to realize a friend of mine from high school was actually a cousin. I didn't get a chance to know him better because of a feud between family members so long ago. There are still hard feelings and hatred by some still to this day over something as stupid as an old rocking chair.

Joyful_Sweeps
September 4th, 2006, 12:37am
its really sad how greedy people are. i wont go into it, but i have seen people who think money is more important than relationships. its sad.

Ladyxmess
September 4th, 2006, 12:48am
When my Grandmother died 4 years ago, I was checking on her house until one of her sons (the executor of the will) came into town.
I pulled up in the driveway and one of my Aunts had her truck plum full of all the antiques and valuable items. I mentioned that the will hadn't been read yet and maybe she should wait. She told me she earned all the stuff for being married to my Uncle Steve...(it was a very plausible argument...he's a real a$$hole) and that Grandma said she could have it.

When my Uncle came into town he called me and asked about the valuables, I told him what happened. There was a huge fight-cops & all the hoopla trashy people bring onto themselves-She still won't speak to any of the family, but we don't mind...it's been very quiet & she stole from the family.

CKCollum
September 4th, 2006, 12:55am
boy howdy have I got a good one- but Karma wins in the end. 3 weeks before mom passed from breast cancer, dear sis and her family (including crackhead, wife beater, pedophile husband) showed up on her door on a one way ticket- nowhere to go and no money. BIL walked through the house pointing at things "I want this, I want that".........oh my word I didn't think I could ever be so physically sick. After mom passed and I returned home 3500 miles away, dad gave sis his bankcard and every day she would get him a 1/2 gallon of whiskey and an extra $40 for herself or so.........4 months later when the paramedics pulled him out of the house they asked her if he had AIDS........he weighed 97 pounds and had encephalitis. He died 5 days later. He died at 8PM by 8AM the next day she and hubby were backed up to the house with the UHaul unloading it. By the time I got there they had wiped everything out completely. Right after BIL left her and she hooked up with another crackhead. Within a year she lost her kids, her house, mom's new car and all of my parents worldly possessions. She was living in a cardboard box in an alley!! Hello Karma- you are my new friend. To this day, my heart breaks over the loss of so many childhood memories, but I am ever grateful that the good lord taught her the lesson of greed. When Gma passed this year, guess who the first vulture on the carcass was- yup my darling sister..........at least this time we had paperwork in order and she couldn't touch a thing. She still went to J.G Wentworth and got a loan (minus 20%) on her inheiritance. Some people never learn.

ENELRA
September 4th, 2006, 1:19am
This is different but relates to the same thing. My father who is still alive was just recently told he could die at any time. Well my wicked witch of a step mother decided that she would take it upon herself right away and get rid of any belongings he had because she feels he wont be needing them. Mind you he is still alive. She sold his boat, went through all of his papers and threw them out, gave away his dog and cats, and got rid of almost all of his personal possesions. I think she is a rotten B&(*_. I cant understand how you can erase someones life while they are still here.
My father just turned 60 this July so he is still fairly young. He has a leak in his heart valve that they cant fix so he is getting weaker and weaker everyday and all she does is tell him he is cruel for leaving her with his junk. She is a slob and doesnt care for him at all. I hope she gets hers someday.

suzystars9
September 4th, 2006, 1:26am
I have so many horror stories about things happening in my family. I just try and not let it bother me too much. I just try and think what goes around comes around, but sometimes it is a bit too much to take.

dark_zino
September 4th, 2006, 2:55am
OMG..My dad died a little over a year ago and things have been a mess. Immediately after he died, his kids from his first marriage went into his house and took a lot of valuable stuff including antiques and a basketball card autographed by Michael Jordan. They also took some paperwork with my so sec # and D.O.B. So far, nothing has came up against me. But, one of the kid's does have numerous charges for check fraud against her. So, I'm nervous still. Of course, they couldn't bother to let me know that dad had died, even after they took all the valuables.

There was one thing I really wanted. That was a blanket with a little puppy on it from when my dad was a baby. That, of course, was nowhere to be found.

deelytful1
September 4th, 2006, 3:11am
My son's father's pig brother took everything my son's father had in storage after my son's father died. I filed a petition in small claims court, but God made me realize how evil these people were and I withdrew the petition. They will never, ever see my son for as long as they live.

PRECIOUS
September 4th, 2006, 3:44am
Even if you have estate and wills do they spell out everything? My grandparents didnt have a will because they didnt have much but my aunts started fighting over dresses,hair pins and even her BIBLE!!! OMG!!

Maybe this thread will prompt us to write down detailed information of where we would like our stuff to go. Even our socks and undies. :halo:

rdhill007
September 4th, 2006, 9:51am
I am dreading my SIL when my relatives pass because she is a greedy b!tch now. I already see her and my brother getting divorced because I was left something she wanted and he did not fight for it.

My brother and I know who gets what and that is that. It is clearly written in living wills and in regular wills. So far, we still get along(even after I blew up on his wife).

elainmir
September 4th, 2006, 10:28am
I will always and forever be thankful that my grandmother made it KNOWN for years what she wanted people to have. I have a old fashioned console stereo system that was super popular in the seventies...record player, 8 track..my grandma knew I wanted that more than anything. She used to let me listen to it every time I visited. It was a sentimental thing for me. I also received the tulip music box I gave her on her 60th birthday. But my one possession that I received and don't remove is her simple tiny gold hoop earrings. And the little ceramic bird dish that she stored them in. These mean the world to me. You'd have to kill me to take them off. And when her daughter my Aunt Jean passed this past Feb. my aunt had already given me what she wanted me to have. She knew she was going to die and didn't trust her DH and her OWN DAUGHTER to honor her wishes. So a month before she died I visited and she gave me a beautiful solid gold flat serpentine necklace that she had received for her 40th birthday. And she wanted me to have a stained glass piece of art that I had given her for her 51st birthday. I told her to hang on to it and enjoy its beauty. I did receive it back though. But her daughter is the one who stole alot of things from my grandmother before and after she passed. I didnt fight because my granma wouldnt have wanted a big fuss over STUFF. My grandmother and aunt gave me a gift that no one can ever take, have or steal. Their love and lots of awesome memories. The stuff the greedy people can have. I got what they wanted me to have and what really means the most. Them and their presence in my life. I can console myself with their loss knowing that I loved them and they truly loved me and thatI never once tarnished their memory or dishonored them by fighting over their belongings.

altusbecky
September 4th, 2006, 11:02am
ahh anyone got about 2 hours for this one???...Its not my family..it's actually my hubs...his grandmother died and his father and his aunt have been fighting about who gets what, etc, etc..for months..so much so the kids refuse to even discuss it with them, etc...it's disgustingly sad that people are like that about other people's stuff..because that's all it is..stuff...it's not going to bring em back...and its not as if..whoever dies with the most stuff wins..

tlak
September 4th, 2006, 3:08pm
:frown3:

akules
September 4th, 2006, 3:38pm
Both my parents disowned me and wrote me out of their wills.

When they died, it was no muss, no fuss...I didn't get a thing...my two sisters got it all!

What was the transgression that led up to this? They didn't like the selection of the person that I chose to be my wife...and I was 26 years old!

Granted, there were some personal doo-dads of my own I wouldn't have minded having, but when it comes down to it, I got what I needed...my loving wife of 21 years and two wonderful daughters. :kissy:

TeaAddict
September 4th, 2006, 3:48pm
On my dad's side of the family, after both of my grandparents died, there was a lot of fighting who would get what or if somebody got "more" Some of the them don't speak to each other because of it. It's really sad.

nesta67
September 4th, 2006, 4:04pm
There has been a big mess with my DH's grandma's property in Puerto Rico. His Grandma died a couple of years ago and the only thing she really had was her house. Since DH's mom has long since passed and an aunt and her son were already living in that house, DH and his siblings said they wanted nothing to do with the house because they didn't think it was right to kick out the relative who was already living there. A couple years later it turned out that person got kicked out anyway, so the sibs all said - - if you are going to be that way, we want our share too. (To give to DH's dad, who has no $$ either.) One of the aunts is trying to get the entire proceeds of the property sale for herself, is being very secretive, dealing with shady lawyers, etc. It has been really hard to deal with the situation since everything is happening in Puerto Rico. People get so greedy and horrible when they see they can get an easy buck.

Indy
September 4th, 2006, 4:04pm
It's amazing how the greed of material things and money take over when there has been a death in the family. It's sad, - very, very sad. But, it really shows the person's true colors! :worry:

missreneer
September 4th, 2006, 4:05pm

When they died, it was no muss, no fuss...I didn't get a thing...my two sisters got it all!

What was the transgression that led up to this? They didn't like the selection of the person that I chose to be my wife...and I was 26 years old!

Granted, there were some personal doo-dads of my own I wouldn't have minded having, but when it comes down to it, I got what I needed...my loving wife of 21 years and two wonderful daughters. :kissy:
:gvibes:

selfportrait
September 4th, 2006, 4:39pm
I decided long ago that what I wanted was my loved ones and not their things. Everytime the subject of wills comes up I leave the room. When they try to give me things, I say no thanks Luv, give it to someone else.

I know there will be a stink when my parents pass, but I'm not going to be part of it. I got all I wanted just being their son. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Kathleenob
September 4th, 2006, 5:10pm
When my Nana was killed (drunk driver) my mom, who had taken care of her, visited her all the time drove to her place with my dad. Not an hour later, her brother (who NEVER visited) showed up with his cow of a wife. My Nana had made it clear that she didn't want the cow going through her things, but what did she do? She tried to take all the jewelry, milkglass, clothing- I wanted to strangle her.

She accused me and my sister of taking things...hellooooo! She was my Nana. The grabby cow was taking big handfuls of jewelry and putting it in her purse. It was disgusting.

Little did she know, my mom hidden all the good stuff and the cash my Nana liked to hide in strange places around the house before they got there. She got alot of costume stuff....lol.

gummybear2010
September 4th, 2006, 5:29pm
my dad has nothing to leave me and my mom will give everything to my sister which I really do not care anything about.

I have heard from people I have met in my life of greedy families and undermining of others wishes.greed is a horrable thing.never had anything to be greedy about.I feel for those who have gone on to the other side when there looking down and seeing familys fight over trivial things.

ky2here
September 4th, 2006, 5:59pm
when dealing with end of life issues. the true person almost always surfaces.

my partner rose to the occasion when his mother died. he handled everything graciously and appropriately. i remain proud of him.

i've seen the opposite and it can be sickening.

wetwist
September 4th, 2006, 6:04pm
This is different but relates to the same thing. My father who is still alive was just recently told he could die at any time. Well my wicked witch of a step mother decided that she would take it upon herself right away and get rid of any belongings he had because she feels he wont be needing them. Mind you he is still alive. She sold his boat, went through all of his papers and threw them out, gave away his dog and cats, and got rid of almost all of his personal possesions. I think she is a rotten B&(*_. I cant understand how you can erase someones life while they are still here.
My father just turned 60 this July so he is still fairly young. He has a leak in his heart valve that they cant fix so he is getting weaker and weaker everyday and all she does is tell him he is cruel for leaving her with his junk. She is a slob and doesnt care for him at all. I hope she gets hers someday.

holy crap! gave away his dog and cats? how can people be so vile?

they will regret their actions in the next life for sure.

wetwist
September 4th, 2006, 6:07pm
Even if you have estate and wills do they spell out everything? My grandparents didnt have a will because they didnt have much but my aunts started fighting over dresses,hair pins and even her BIBLE!!! OMG!!

Maybe this thread will prompt us to write down detailed information of where we would like our stuff to go. Even our socks and undies. :halo:

over the bible, lol. that's charming.

TrueBrunette
September 4th, 2006, 6:07pm
when dealing with end of life issues. the true person almost always surfaces.

my partner rose to the occasion when his mother died. he handled everything graciously and appropriately. i remain proud of him.

i've seen the opposite and it can be sickening.

I could not agree more. I am seeing "sides" of some relatives come out that I would never have thought......material possesions are very important to some people for sure! :worry:

wetwist
September 4th, 2006, 6:16pm

awwww....

good grief! it's your life! oh, well at least you got a lot of love... they only hurt themselves in the end.....

Frogface
September 4th, 2006, 6:20pm
My DH's sister is the vulture in his family. His cousins were killed in a freak accident that killed them and left their kids in the backseat fine. She was at their house the same day that the accident happened going through everything. Then when his aunt died she did the same thing before her own kids got to look. The same year that those family members died his grandmother got diagnosed with advance stomach cancer and was moving in with his parents and she went into her grandmother's apartment and took everything she wanted (including stuff that my DH's grandmother wanted him to have) and left it a mess and didn't help move the rest of the furniture. Now she asks at every gift exchange (birthday's, etc) she asks if she can have it when the person dies if she likes something. She has no children and isn't married so I am only keeping my mouth shut (I guess for more then one reason...it's not my family) is because I hope that my DD will see some of the family heirlooms.

Indy
September 4th, 2006, 6:25pm
When my Dad died, my sister-in-law actually called his insurance company - posing as my Mom, and asked the secretary to tell her how much life insurance he had. We had the same insurance agent, so the secretary called me to ask why my mom would be questioning that. I was shocked! And, very hurt that she could be so deceitful. But, that is typical of her behavior! :worry: (...and just for the record...I do believe that what goes around - comes around) :worry:

VALENTINE
September 4th, 2006, 6:35pm
Still going through heck, years later.

Mom had 1st will that if sas was gone all 3 of us daughters would share equally.
Then 2 daughters just went merrily on with their lives moving to new states, enjoying themselves with the rare occasional call home.
Mom got pissed when she needed them to help her and they whined and couldn;t stop their own lives for her so she cut them out of her will and left just me sionce I was her only help in her day to day life. I lived in a small town just 15 minutes away.

Mom and Dad really needed some help at times.
We ( my DH and I did everything from housecleaning to lawn care to doctor trips to making dinner for many years and it hasen't stopped yet.

Mom passed in 1996 and told Dad her last wish was for him to make a will cutting out the worthless daughters and leaving it all just to me.
They both blew up at Dad and dog cussed him over the phones when I agreed to move into Dad's house to better care for him as he had a stroke and living alone was dangerous for him.

To better seal the last will Dad wrote out, we als went to an attourney and my husband has my Dad's power of attorney even beyond death so we can creamate him as he wishes just like mom was and that was my two sisters can't demand a outrageous expensive funeral.
Most power of attorney papers run out or expire as the person takes their last breath but Dad's handles even the fueral details. My Dh is the exectuter(sp) of dad's will also.
I am only the benificary in all matters as a last ditch effort to appease the two evil sisters. but it hasn't appeased them so far.

I am sure my evil sisters will try to contest the wills just to be the asses they are, but the attorney said it's very hard to do since they almost have to prove that not only Dad but the attorney and all the attorney witness that signed the will must ALL be proven incompetent.

My folks don't have much, just a 32 yr old ranch style house and a truck. When mom passed dad gave my sisters a division of mom's jewelry and belongings but that didn't even appease them.
Dad even had to put a bond against my oldest sister to keep her away from him, he hates her now after she dog cussed him over his legal choices.
She even tried to tell my Dad that I was a druggy at 47 yrs old to keep him from leaving it all to me.

Fact is I my x hubby and now my current hubby have been the only people that have cared for my parents since the 70's.

Ohtiger
September 4th, 2006, 6:46pm
Have you had any nightmares regarding greedy volture relatives and wills that loved ones have left behind?

All I wanted was my relatives license to remember him by and I couldn't even get that.

What you're experiencing happens more often than not. It's a sad situation, but it happens every single day.

TaraB12
September 4th, 2006, 6:48pm
It's interesting that this is brought up because I was just visiting my grandparents and my grandma tried to unload some of her belongings on me. She asked me what I wanted in the house and I was so taken aback that I said that I didn't want anything. She ended up wrapping some little things like crystal and Hummels for me to take home. She really wants to avoid all the fighting over her belongings so she has been giving some of it away each time a family member visits. I think this is causing more trouble than she realizes. My aunt by marriage has been asking me what my grandma has given to me. She wants to make sure that her children receive the same amount. My grandma and grandfather received all the estates of their brothers and sisters, so they also have their belongings as well.

The day they do pass away is going to be a nightmare. There are six children, a dozen or so grandchildren, and my mom is the executor of the will. To try to avoid the dispute over their houses (three of them), my grandparents put a piece in their will stating that the properties will be sold and the amount earned will be split evenly amongst the six children. If one child decides they want the property, they must pay the value of the house. It will then be divided by six and the child who bought the house will get a deduction for their 1/6th portion of the house. Interesting... we'll see what happens.

MistyNoMore
September 4th, 2006, 6:50pm
My dad has 2 sisters. When his one brother died (who sold life insurance) they said he had no will and his millions of dollars disappeared. The sister puchased a Lexus the next month.

The same side of the afmily - aunt was a co-signer on grandma's checking account. While grandma was in her dying hours she was at the bank withdrawing the money. Needless to say...we have not one picture or anything to remember this side of the family. And, my dd is stupid enough to still talk to them!!! :mad2: He "can't believe they would do such things". ??!?!?!?

The other side is not quite as bad. But, when granma died grandpa ws prying the rings from her fingers and the little things from her worth nothing (like dolls she had made) he sold at garage sale for pennies. Grandma left all her kids equal parts of her house, EXCEPT for my mom. She got nothing.

We have no momentos and pictures from either side of the family. Sad.

daskds
September 4th, 2006, 7:04pm
These stories are pathetic and so terribly sad. It is obvious when people do not care if they are fighting over things. When my Grandmother passed, her only request was that the be buried next to her late husband with her rings on her hand. We all saw her a the funeral with the rings, but at my uncle's house after the service, there they were! He had already had a shadow box created with her glasses, picture of her and hers and Grandpa's rings! Everyone thought he had been buried with them as well!

Ok, so the guy wanted something to remember his parents with, but they asked to have those things buried with them!

DH and I have pretty significant insurance policies and we have my sister as the one who would take the kids. However, I do not trust her with money. I think she would be buying a new Suburban every other year and saying she needed it because of all the kids stuff. :laugh: She would honestly believe that!
We made my BIL the executor of the estate. He gets the money to distribute and she gets the kids. Besides, he is a CPA. I hope nothing happens to us, but wonder what she is gonna say if she ever has to deal with that.....

quiznos
September 4th, 2006, 10:54pm
I really really do have to commend you and say what a great person you are, money or not if someone does harm to me or my family , even if it is another family member I would not speak to them for the rest of my life. It's just how I am , very hard to forgive especially when someone is a greedy bastard. Kudos to you for being a better human then I could ever be :gvibes:

Boy..... do I have a story to tell! Do you have some time?

My Grandfather (my Father's Father) died in February 1996. Grandpa was an Archie Bunker type, always looking to pick a fight with his kids and grandkids. When he made out his first will he appointed my Dad as executor because he was the oldest of my Grandfathers 3 children. When he got mad at my Dad he would change his executor to one of the kids he was not mad at, and if he became mad at the new executor he would change it again, and again. He was always mad at somebody. At the time of his death my Uncle Tony was executor. My Dad did'nt care, but my Aunt Lisa did. Aunt Lisa borrowed money from my Grandfather all the time. She owed him $15,000 at the time of his death. He knew that and deducted the money from her inheritance. She had a fit! She wanted the same amount her brothers received, but her brothers did'nt owe their father any money. She cursed and accused my Dad and my Uncle of all sorts of things. My Dad trying to be peacemaker tried to calm her down, but she continued ranting and cursing. She hates both her brothers and will not talk to them or their families. I was close to my Aunt Lisa and she cut me out of her life all because of a silly will. Money was more important to her than family. To make matters worse she had access to some of my Grandfather accounts and she emptied them as quickly as she could before her brothers found out. When my Uncle Tony accused her of stealing money from the accounts, she denied it, but he has proof. He could have made a big stink about it, but he let it go. He lived in another state and did'nt want to be bothered fighting her. He had a business to run back home. My Aunt also took money that was earmarked for me, my siblings and my cousins. We did'nt fight it either, because the situation was so volatile, and we wanted to try and keep the family intact and the money was less than a $1000.00, so it was not worth it. I tried to talk to my Aunt Lisa this year to sort out everything that happened 10 years ago, and try to make amends over all the hurt feelings, and she welcomed me with open arms. She told me everything that happened and I heard alot of half truths, but she did admit to taking money from 2 of my Grandfathers accounts, but I did'nt have it in me to ask why she took money from me, I figured all in due time. Sigh....... the saga will continue..... :frown3:

pumpkinpie516
September 4th, 2006, 11:27pm
I really really do have to commend you and say what a great person you are, money or not if someone does harm to me or my family , even if it is another family member I would not speak to them for the rest of my life. It's just how I am , very hard to forgive especially when someone is a greedy bastard. Kudos to you for being a better human then I could ever be :gvibes:

WOW....thank you.....I do have to admit that I was angry and bitter for years over this ugly situation. This was the condensed version of what happened, otherwise I would have taken over the whole thread! I decided to take my cue from my Dad, and try to make peace with it. I forgive my Aunt, she had financial difficulties and went about it the wrong way. I would have gladly given her my small share of the pot, if she had only asked me. I wanted to tell her she did'nt need to take from me, because I would have given it to her, no strings attached. I don't know what was going on in her head at the time, but she was a wonderful Aunt prior to my Grandfather passing away. As I mentioned before my Grandfather was an Archie Bunker type and he loved to cause drama and pit family members against each other. He even told his 85 year old girlfriend at the time, that he hoped his will would cause a rift in the family. He got his wish in some aspects, but as far as I'm concerned he does'nt bother me anymore. He got me down for most of my life, but not anymore, I am older and wiser now. Thanks for your kind comments, and don't let the family trolls get you down either. :gvibes:

cacheermom
September 4th, 2006, 11:28pm
My step-father died in January of this year. He loved my mother more than anything else in the world. He found out he had cancer but never gave up hope that he could beat it. Right or wrong...she never had the heart to tell him that the doctors gave him no hope. He was a Deacon in his church and a devout Christian. My mother knew that only one person really knew how long he had to live, and it wasn't the doctors...it was God. For that reason, my step-father always thought he would beat the cancer and never changed his will.

In all the time that my mother and step-father were married, she never asked him how much money he had, nor did she care. She just loved him and wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. My step-father never got to change his will, but made it verbally known to his children that he wanted my mother taken care of. Only one hour after his death, his daughter went straight to the bank and withdrew the $14,000 in the savings account (my step-father put her name on it after his first wife had died). My mother still had no idea what he was worth and still didn't care, all she asked for from his children was to be able to stay in the home in which they lived (it was his when they married) and for something to drive (the truck in which they owned was also put into his son's name after the death of his previous spouse). Both children drive nice vehicles and live in beautiful homes.

To make a long story short...they got an attorney and tried to have my mother thrown out of the house and sent a letter demanding she pay $20,000 for the truck. Did I mention that they (his children) both received approximately $500,000 each. According to Oklahoma Law, my mother does not have to move, but she will never own the house (which is at least 40 years old) nor will she ever own the truck, but she can drive it as long as she wants.

I just don't understand how heartless some people can be.

jaklackus
September 5th, 2006, 12:32am
It gets so ugly when loved ones die.....after my grandfather died the whole family came together to go through all of the and move everything out in order to sell it.....my cousin and her husband laid a blanket on the ground outside sat on it and everytime something of value came out she asked if the people carrying it out could put it near their car(yes the fat slobs never got up from the blanket) her father finally took them to the side and chewed them out which resulted in them loading up waht they did have near the car and leaving(without helping of course) ...today her fat slob husband with the engineering degree is jobless and refuses to look for work...can't even be trusted to watch their child he is so lazy...she has to work major hours to pay their bills by herself. But she also has done crappy things since...like tell her younger brother to drop out of school so her parents have money to give to her....ughhhh....her parents aren't talking to her right now.

My husband' grandmother passed and my MIL was gracious enough to allow the estate to be split ...she had a will that willed everything to her and the brother had a second will that was written years later while his mom was pretty far gone with dementia that split everything...at least Mary was with it enough to insist on a 50/50 split. The brother and his wife were high holy bible thumpers and tried to take everything anyway because they were 'godly' people they deserved it more. They wanted to move back and live in the house for free, stalled on selling it and signing the papers, they were horrible to the point where my husband and I were a presense in the house everyday until my MIL flew back to FL and goodness did they hate that so much....lol. We did take the 2 things that my MIL wanted that were specifically willed to her in both the documents and held them at our house ...but everything else did disappear. Mary had a room mate and we had to make sure he got out of the house with his own stuff they were trying to claim that too.....they wanted him to pay them rent for the years that he lived there ....lol. My husband and I had to hint that they might be considered common law husband and wife and might be entitled to EVERYTHING if they didn't drop their ridiculous demands...the poor guy paid all the bills in the house and now they wanted to wipe him out too. Anyway 2 weeks after they got their payout from the house...she went into some sort of diabetic coma/heart episode and was in the hospital unresponsive for 3 months....he had a heart attack during that time and spent 3 weeks in the hospital......all that money?...medical bills....do you think God was trying to tell them something? Maybe Karma got past God perhaps they weren't thumping their bibles hard enough.....normally I'm a live and let be kind of person...if you find happiness in something go and be happy...but when you tell me that you are a good 'Christian' while acting like the scum of the earth ...it does not even things out.

Speaking of godly people...I had a boss one time that scurried out of the state with no notice when a relative died so she could get some coupon bonds before the kids got to the house.....we all got very sick when she started spewing about the grace of god allowing them to buy a house and car.....when you knew it was because they lived closer than the children...had a hotline set up with the relative's landlord and knew that coupon bonds could be cashed out by the bearer.....just sick.

tlak
September 6th, 2006, 5:07pm
What I don't understand is why some of you let your relatives get away with it. Even if there is no will, states have laws on how an estate will be divided. Sorry about lost trinkets/memories, but cash can be tracked down. Like the aunt that was suddenly driving a Lexus. Kinda easy for an attorney/cops to find out where that money came from. A bank even has to report to the IRS where a big cash deposit came from.
Point is, why are you trying to win some do-dad on a contest site when there is all that money owed to you?

jeanmarie
September 6th, 2006, 5:20pm
We haven't had our big battle yet, but it's coming. My MIL's will leaves the house to my husband, instead of leaving it to all her kids. This is mostly because the other siblings at one time or another have lived there rent free for years and years as adults. She has made her wishes clear to everyone. My husband is a really great guy, and said he'd sell the house and split everything 4 ways (the house is not worth that much, we're talking maybe $90,000). Well, one brother has moved back in, and pretty much has positioned himself to keep the house, when MIL passes away. But, he can't afford a mortgage to buy the house outright. So, we live 500 miles away and will need to figure out what the right thing to do is, for our children as well as my husband's family. But, you just know it's going to be really ugly.

sparkleygem
September 6th, 2006, 5:29pm
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/sparkleygem28/Pretty%20things%20for%20myspace%20or%20avatars/__01flower.gif

So sad to hear all of this. :worry: Makes me want to die broke so there's no fighting, and people are genuinely sad that I'm gone because they won't gain anything from it. We had a family member pass not too long ago. The family member had a son from a previous marriage that was a bit of a drifter, in and out of prison, ect. He NEVER called when his dad was alive, never had anything to do with his dad. Lo and behold, who calls 2 months after hid dad passed, pretending he had no idea he died? :rolleyes: Loser! And how did he get our unlisted number? Idiot. He's not fooling anybody. I don't think he got anything, but he was trying to hit up his dad's wife for something. I hope she didn't give him anything. I mean, yeah he's his son, but he didn't give a crap about him, he wasn't even sad he died! Then he calls for the sole reason of trying to get some free stuff. :worry:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/sparkleygem28/Pretty%20things%20for%20myspace%20or%20avatars/__01flower.gif

Peg152
September 6th, 2006, 5:43pm
She was conned a few years ago by two 'church' people in their 20's who came to clean her gutters and left with checks made out to each of them for their 'ministry trips' to foreign countries such as Africa.

It didn't end there. They moved in at separate times living with her and taking advantage for 3 months and then 1 YEAR. During that time they suggested that she had too much 'stuff' and cleaned out her house. All the extra furniture and whatever went to their friends and relatives under the pretex that they were helping her clear her 'clutter'.

During this time they 'helped' her re-write her will. She had no children, but one sister and a beloved niece were still in her life. These guys helped her divid her belongings. She had no idea what her home was worth after living there 43 years and initially paying $16,000 for it. They divided $10,000 to this church and that and to each of her two remaining family members.. totaling about $80,000. The last line was the REST goes to these two twits!

She had her husband's pension and lots of savings as she lived very frugally, except for when it came to these two 'ministers of God', as they so claimed. Her home is worth $225,000 and her savings maybe another $100,000, probably even more. Talk about a shame and a scam.

I just hope God sees what they were doing! Maybe the law, too! I have been watching the niece go through hell since her aunt died thanks to these little monsters who are wolfs in sheeps clothing claiming to be doing 'God's work'. It's very sad...