PDA

View Full Version : Gah! Everything has gone up!

aycorn
July 20th, 2006, 7:35pm
So I usually just buy what I need right.. just the two of us..no need to do a wicked budget..but anyway Ore Ida potatoes (freezer section) ...u know the little hash brown type things w/ the peppers.. $3.49..these used to be $2.50 ..so i'm like ok whatever.. get to the hotdogs.. gonna grill 'em for lunch saturday.. HELLO $4.99..for a pack of hotdogs? wth..

..and dont even think about trying to eat healthy (fresh fruits and veggies) ..it'll kill your pocketbook :laugh: grapes were $3.49 lb.. they usually $0.77-99cent a lb?

even Barbie has gone up..don't ask how I know..i dont have children or anything..but i'm like geezus..

I'm coming to the realization I"ll have to come out of retirement and go back to work soon.. ..I wanted to drop a couple kids before I did that but.. oh well.. I'm thinking it must be done...or I should turn into one of those people who do sweeps for a living :worry: ..but seriously, who has that kinda time, luck, ..or patience!

sparkleygem
July 20th, 2006, 7:45pm
So I usually just buy what I need right.. just the two of us..no need to do a wicked budget..but anyway Ore Ida potatoes (freezer section) ...u know the little hash brown type things w/ the peppers.. $3.49..these used to be $2.50 ..so i'm like ok whatever.. get to the hotdogs.. gonna grill 'em for lunch saturday.. HELLO $4.99..for a pack of hotdogs? wth..

..and dont even think about trying to eat healthy (fresh fruits and veggies) ..it'll kill your pocketbook :laugh: grapes were $3.49 lb.. they usually $0.77-99cent a lb?

even Barbie has gone up..don't ask how I know..i dont have children or anything..but i'm like geezus..

I'm coming to the realization I"ll have to come out of retirement and go back to work soon.. ..I wanted to drop a couple kids before I did that but.. oh well.. I'm thinking it must be done...or I should turn into one of those people who do sweeps for a living :worry: ..but seriously, who has that kinda time, luck, ..or patience!
Ive been noticing the ever climbing prices too. :worry: I'm really getting scared about the near future. Rising prices, world war 3, and 14 billion people on the planet, all coming soon. :frown3:

feelinlucky
July 20th, 2006, 7:47pm
Ive been noticing the ever climbing prices too. :worry: I'm really getting scared about the near future. Rising prices, world war 3, and 14 billion people on the planet, all coming soon. :frown3: Wow now I'm scared :worry:

psalmstress
July 20th, 2006, 7:48pm
Prices are definitely increasing, too bad my income isn't keeping up. I read cost of living is going up 4.5% these days, yet my soon to be annual raise will probably be only 2.5% Gads, I'm going backwards!

sparkleygem
July 20th, 2006, 7:49pm
Wow now I'm scared :worry:
Sorry. :frown3:

lmelkins1
July 20th, 2006, 7:54pm
Yes, I've even noticed Walmart has seriously gone up in their prices. Everything is going up except minimum wage and wages in general. I don't know how people survive on minimum wage when a gallon of gas it more than half what they make in an hour. Pitiful.

Great economy....whatever. My husband and I are suffering with the prices tremendously. I'm so tired of it and I don't see and end in site. We will never be able to afford a house it seems...the real estate market is sickening....great for those already in it though.

Its so depressing.

cj741
July 20th, 2006, 7:58pm
If you think that's scary, watch this movie trailer about America. :frown3:

America: Freedom To Fascism (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/americafreedomtofascism/)

sparkleygem
July 20th, 2006, 8:02pm
If you think that's scary, watch this movie trailer about America. :frown3:

America: Freedom To Fascism (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/americafreedomtofascism/)
:nono: I'm scared enough already.

msbabedoll
July 20th, 2006, 8:07pm
I try not to think aobut it to much because I get so mad, and what ya gonna do? They rob us at the gas tank and everywhere else. Soon only the rich will be able to eat and drive! I went from spending about 50 bucks a week on gas to go to work to 100 a week! If it keeps going up I am going to have to consider a different job closer to home and loose out on my years I have, my vacation time and everything!

ehavenchk
July 20th, 2006, 8:19pm
Part of the reason why everything is going up is because of the higher fuel costs. It costs money to transport all our favorite stuff into the stores for us to buy. The cost of fuel affects the transportation industry immensely and that just trickles down to us the consumer. It sucks. :worry:

ladcraig
July 20th, 2006, 8:28pm
We just got home from England two weeks ago and I have come to appreciate just how "cheap" everything is here. Gasoline was the equivalent of $7 per gallon and one meal out bordered around $60 and it was nothing fancy. Everything was expensive - clothes, food, you name it. I have a good friend who moved to the U.S. from England and her family only wishes they could move here to. In fact, when they come they bring extra suitcases to take stuff back home in. I only say this b/c I had my eyes opened and have a new perspective.

skennedy62
July 20th, 2006, 8:35pm
Another thing we've noticed-I just went through a brutal summer cold. I had a little cough medicine in a oldish bottle and my hubby brought home a new bottle for me. The new bottle was the same price as the old, but half the size.

We have noticed lots of other products getting smaller, from an ounce or two to much more. The average Joe lost 20 years in the last few in terms of being able to save, having to spend more to live, etc. There is no way my wages at about a 3% increase per year, can keep up with prices doubling, etc.

SweepingBeauty
July 20th, 2006, 8:35pm
Well I am not going to start eating crickets or anything.

I am shopping the same-avoiding the $2.99 cherries and going for the stawberries, bananas, and peaches.

skennedy62
July 20th, 2006, 8:38pm
We just got home from England two weeks ago and I have come to appreciate just how "cheap" everything is here. Gasoline was the equivalent of $7 per gallon and one meal out bordered around $60 and it was nothing fancy. Everything was expensive - clothes, food, you name it. I have a good friend who moved to the U.S. from England and her family only wishes they could move here to. In fact, when they come they bring extra suitcases to take stuff back home in. I only say this b/c I had my eyes opened and have a new perspective.

I worked with a gal from Norway who was relaying these high prices to me as well. However, she made twice as much in wages there as she did for the same job here. Also, free daycare and healthcare.

Maprinces3
July 20th, 2006, 8:44pm
I went and got a bag of fresh cherry's at Kroger the other day. Paid 8.00+, thought it was an error and went back to the store, found out I was wrong, that was the sale price!

feelinlucky
July 20th, 2006, 8:54pm
I went and got a bag of fresh cherry's at Kroger the other day. Paid 8.00+, thought it was an error and went back to the store, found out I was wrong, that was the sale price!
Holly Cow! :smile9:

aycorn
July 20th, 2006, 10:08pm
you went to the wrong "sale" .. my "sale" cherries were ONLY $7.30 :nana:
I too looked twice and debated while at the register whether to keep them or not.. I got them anyway because I use them as a sweet snack..i could've gotten some fattening delicious ice cream for 1/3 the cost ..but my jeans would've suffered :frown3:

leashlaw
July 20th, 2006, 10:28pm
The government has decided that the minimum wage is perfectly livable and you are simply imagining things...the prices have always been this much. Please continue to consume, um, I mean shop... :laugh:

ehavenchk
July 20th, 2006, 10:35pm
Posting here again just to complain :laugh: Remember when the term 'sticker shock' was used only when shopping for a new car? Now its like that just grocery shopping!
I know maybe its a bad time of year to be looking for a sale on ice cream bars but I really wanted to get a box of some good ones for my husband. I would have been happy to find a box of Good Humor Bars for like $2.99 or so but I couldn't find any under $3.89 for 6 lousy bars. So I ended up buying some plain old vanilla chocalate covered ones by some unknown brand for $3.59.
I mean c'mon! They only take a minute to eat! (oh I could go on & on about food prices).
:mad:

JH33194
July 20th, 2006, 10:37pm
It's funny...the government says they want to continue to instill family values and they want more stay at home parent's so the children don't suffer but with the cost of EVERYTHING going up, how can we continue to have stay at home parents??
Oil prices were $13 a barrel just 6 years ago (I won't say who was elected almost 6 years ago)...how does oil go from $13 a barrel to $78 a barrel that fast? DH has a few friends from over there where we get our oil, they have told him they HAVE NOT raised the price of oil...then you consider the fact that one of the head oil guys just retired making $50 million a year for retirement...$50 million a year! But of course they aren't making any profit here... :mad2:

OK! Putting on my flame suit as I am sure I will be flamed by some...FLAME AWAY!

TrueBrunette
July 20th, 2006, 10:43pm
I am in Michigan & we have the 3rd worst economy with Alaska being 1st & Louisiana being 2nd. I have seen a BIG change with everyone in my town with the exception of the very well-off, people just aren't going places or spending as much at all. Groceries are going up & up & even our health care through DH's work has changed dramatically. Things are very tight in MI......but I am very thankful that for now my DH still has his job.

Bigfootsmother
July 20th, 2006, 10:59pm
all gloom and doom... no wonder I am so freakin depressed!

luckylady1744
July 20th, 2006, 11:11pm
Part of the reason why everything is going up is because of the higher fuel costs. It costs money to transport all our favorite stuff into the stores for us to buy. The cost of fuel affects the transportation industry immensely and that just trickles down to us the consumer. It sucks. :worry:

Not to mention all the other petroleum products such as oil, plastics, and some cleaning products. We use alot of these in our drycleaning business and can't possibly raise prices to cover costs. Business doesn't look good, let alone employment. :worry:

skshade
July 20th, 2006, 11:13pm
I have also noted an increase in almost everything at the grocery store. Too bad most employers don't keep our wages up with the cost of living! :frown3:

Beth
July 20th, 2006, 11:18pm
Can I whine for a moment, too?
I am looking for a new home and I have a healthy down payment, but I cannot afford the monthly mortgage payments unless I move 40 miles away from work....

ladcraig
July 21st, 2006, 12:17pm
I worked with a gal from Norway who was relaying these high prices to me as well. However, she made twice as much in wages there as she did for the same job here. Also, free daycare and healthcare.

I'm not familiar with Norway. I was only talking about England and the wages there aren't "twice" that as here. In fact, my English friend doesn't have to work here as she did at home (where they were just squeaking by). They live in a much nicer home, too. Her mom cried the first time she saw it. Yes, there is "free" healthcare in England, too. I'm not so sure "free" is the right way to describe it. And all the English folks joked that if we got sick/hurt we had better wait until we got back to the states to go to the dr.

Maudrey74
July 21st, 2006, 12:25pm
I've noticed the prices going up also... We are a family of 6 here... I have 4 boys, so my grocery bill is pretty high. We have had to cut back on most of our splurge items.... :frown3:

bribella
July 21st, 2006, 12:27pm
Just 1 yr ago I was spending like $100 -$125 a week in groceries for a family of 5 now I am lucky to get out of there for under $200 a week.

rangerxenos
July 21st, 2006, 12:34pm
The government has decided that the minimum wage is perfectly livable and you are simply imagining things...the prices have always been this much. Please continue to consume, um, I mean shop... :laugh:

Yes, I don't know how anyone is expected to live on the minimum wage in this country! In CT, our minimum wage is higher than the fed's, but it's insane. Do the math, how do you expect someone to live on $5.15 an hour?

I'm fortunate, I have a good job. but how are average people supposed to pay their bills and put groceries on the table making $5.15 an hour?!

I'm not happy that the prices on everything keep going up, but I can pay it, what about my mother-in-law, or my friend who has 4 kids?

wickedjen1960
July 21st, 2006, 12:55pm
Great, I have been dreading going to the grocery all morning -- now I REALLY don't want to go! I have also noticed that the coupons seem to have shorter shelf life -- they expire almost as soon as you get them AND there aren't as many of them. I guess I best just go Krogering and get it out of the way -- :frown3:

aycorn
July 21st, 2006, 1:45pm
say it again JH!! :frown3:

It's funny...the government says they want to continue to instill family values and they want more stay at home parent's so the children don't suffer but with the cost of EVERYTHING going up, how can we continue to have stay at home parents??
Oil prices were $13 a barrel just 6 years ago (I won't say who was elected almost 6 years ago)...how does oil go from $13 a barrel to $78 a barrel that fast? DH has a few friends from over there where we get our oil, they have told him they HAVE NOT raised the price of oil...then you consider the fact that one of the head oil guys just retired making $50 million a year for retirement...$50 million a year! But of course they aren't making any profit here... :mad2:

OK! Putting on my flame suit as I am sure I will be flamed by some...FLAME AWAY!

TwistedPinkDiamond
July 21st, 2006, 5:39pm

wells i live in england and i dont think its that expensive at all...maybe i am different in that respect it really depends which place in england you go to..if you go in the posh areas of course its high way robbery... i think its more cheaper to live in england than in maine ..at least here we get free healthcare no stupid insurance.. granted things here are much smaller so i am the same when i go back to the states i stock up on bigger items but england are starting to come around and finally sell bigger size items..

the food aint that expensive where did you go to london? i can get a good meal for less than $10 and clothes? i agree they are a tad expensive..

skennedy62
July 23rd, 2006, 1:18pm
I guess oil/gas prices is the one thing that would trickle down to affect every other item with shipping costs. Sad. Yet the oil companies keep making record profits. I wish there was an alternative fuel where we could get off that rollercoaster. :frown5:

minbari
July 23rd, 2006, 1:30pm
George Bush's sleazy war in Iraq is having MANY hidden consequences. This is only the beginning. ;) (The price of gasoline in Iraq is 28 cents per gallon.)

minbari
July 23rd, 2006, 1:35pm
I guess oil/gas prices is the one thing that would trickle down to affect every other item with shipping costs. Sad. Yet the oil companies keep making record profits. I wish there was an alternative fuel where we could get off that rollercoaster. :frown5:

What on earth did Americans expect when they elected a wealthy, idiot, religiously-impaired oil baron as a president? DUH! :eek:

JH33194
July 23rd, 2006, 1:38pm
What on earth did Americans expect when they elected a wealthy, idiot oil baron as a president? DUH! :eek:

:cheer: Well Said!!

Captain Nemo
July 23rd, 2006, 1:48pm
please don't drop any kids,they could get hurt. :)

Inkyskeeper
July 23rd, 2006, 2:12pm

yup, our bakery had to go up on prices so we can cover the expenses on delivering the goods, affects us all
and i cant ask for a raise now either :cry: because i know my boss cant afford to :frown5: , we all have to wait and see but im trying to stay positive :yesyes: and i wont let this push me out of my job i love..im only one mile from work and ride my bike..everyone should be this lucky :yesyes: ..i feel so lucky to have this job, close by and no gas expense :yesyes:

modpenmod
July 23rd, 2006, 2:25pm
What on earth did Americans expect when they elected a wealthy, idiot, religiously-impaired oil baron as a president? DUH! :eek:

Did he really WIN the last election or did they just give it to him? I am not very political so I am not sure what exactly happened there.

Living in Amsterdam for the summer has really opened my eyes to a better way of living. We walk and ride our bikes everywhere. Food is more expensive but the quality is so much better and fresher. The taste is amazing when it has not been processed to death by chemicals.

I am home in Phoenix until Tuesday and when I went to the grocery store last week I spent $110 on practically nothing! I am a vegetarian and just bought a few turkey breasts for my other half and no junk food what so ever. I did use coupons and that really helped a lot. Later when I looked at my receipt, I noticed that Safeway was not doubling anymore. When we get back home I maybe switching grocery stores because of that reason!

FreakDuJour
July 23rd, 2006, 2:26pm
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: What on earth did Americans expect when they elected a wealthy, idiot, religiously-impaired oil baron as a president? DUH! :eek:

just hearing someone ELSE say it makes me so giddy my nostrils are positively quivering...

barbs
July 23rd, 2006, 2:43pm

...who thought he could improve our lives by invading an oil-producing country.

I sure hope he doesn't want to liberate any other countries or try to spread anymore "Democracy in the Middle East".

:rolleyes:

Nubbs820
July 23rd, 2006, 3:00pm
Let all our elected officials live off minimum wage for a few months and see how much they can afford. Then maybe minimum wage will go up. But if that goes up, so will prices. It's a never ending depression. I haven't watched news recently, but here (Maryland) they were planning on raising electric bills a huge amount, or if you couldn't afford it, take a loan and pay interest on that until it's paid off and still your bill would be up the 30% plus in the meantime, you would be paying interest on the loan that they were going to give out. Something needs to be done, but I'm not quite sure what and I'm sure the powers that be don't have a clue because they can't understand it. I can still afford groceries and I am a mean coupon clipper. Right now there's a shortage around here on grapes and if you can find them they're $3.99/lb. My kiddos love grapes so I'm forced to pay an outrageous amount of money for something healthy for them to snack on. But I am okay with it and I can afford it. I don't know what people are doing that make say.. $30,000 a year with one person working or something. Ridiculous!

LifeIsBeautiful
July 23rd, 2006, 3:03pm
Sad isn't it.

Sadder yet, over 1/2 the people in the world don't get to drink clean water.

CathyVeester
July 23rd, 2006, 3:07pm
Sad isn't it.

Good point!

FreakDuJour
July 23rd, 2006, 3:09pm
:frown3: Sad isn't it.

jenninshelby
July 23rd, 2006, 8:33pm
Let all our elected officials live off minimum wage for a few months and see how much they can afford. Then maybe minimum wage will go up. But if that goes up, so will prices. It's a never ending depression. I haven't watched news recently, but here (Maryland) they were planning on raising electric bills a huge amount, or if you couldn't afford it, take a loan and pay interest on that until it's paid off and still your bill would be up the 30% plus in the meantime, you would be paying interest on the loan that they were going to give out. Something needs to be done, but I'm not quite sure what and I'm sure the powers that be don't have a clue because they can't understand it. I can still afford groceries and I am a mean coupon clipper. Right now there's a shortage around here on grapes and if you can find them they're $3.99/lb. My kiddos love grapes so I'm forced to pay an outrageous amount of money for something healthy for them to snack on. But I am okay with it and I can afford it. I don't know what people are doing that make say.. $30,000 a year with one person working or something. Ridiculous!

Those dummies would never even try to live off min. wage and they would claim that min. wage jobs are not meant to be lived off of and that people who work those jobs should either get other high paying jobs or ask for a raise. These folks do not "get" that some people do HAVE to work for min. wage because that is the only jobs that are out here. :mad3: N.C. just passed to raise the min wage here so that is a little good news.

bwanas
July 23rd, 2006, 9:02pm
Heck were doing just fine. Sorry to hear some of ya'll are not but at least you got the computer and internet service or else you couldn't be here. I think this is the best country to live in and I don't bash it or the president .Sorry just brought up that way. Nothing is perfect.

feefee
July 23rd, 2006, 9:19pm
Heck were doing just fine. Sorry to hear some of ya'll are not but at least you got the computer and internet service or else you couldn't be here. I think this is the best country to live in and I don't bash it or the president .Sorry just brought up that way. Nothing is perfect.

I will never be satisfied with mediocrity.
I have blessings in my life, absolutely, and know I have it good. I am concerned though, that I am having to work ever harder and longer and missing out on important things in my life, in order to maintain and continue to enjoy those blessings.

KRSchulze
July 23rd, 2006, 9:24pm
Prices are definitely increasing, too bad my income isn't keeping up. I read cost of living is going up 4.5% these days, yet my soon to be annual raise will probably be only 2.5% Gads, I'm going backwards!

How about NO raise for five years, was layed off, took another job for way less pay, they went out of business, now another job for the same (lower) money that's working me into the grave!?!?!?! It's really getting scary just to go to the grocery store these days. My poor 9 year old Nissan van just hit 107,000 miles with no new auto in site. Our utility rates went up 30% and we're just sick waiting for the first big air conditioning bill (and we keep the house at 85 degrees)...I still could go on and on, but I'll spare you!

arouet
July 23rd, 2006, 9:24pm

On the other hand they don't have to spend their money on healthcare or dental work and I have no idea how their wages are compared to inflation, but if they are lucky, their wages have been rising to keep up with inflation, unlike the people in this country who have seen their actual wages diminish year after year. Not to mention their jobs disappearing.

hudson9610
July 23rd, 2006, 9:25pm
Where are you shopping

I've never seen hotdogs that high or the grapes

smileysal
July 23rd, 2006, 9:42pm
It is fusterating. I feel so poor. We even depleted our savings account this year. It feels like there is no relief in sight. The rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer. At this rate there will be no middle class. My husband works 60-72 hours a week and we still have a trouble making ends meet. We got rid of high speed internet and cable television. We can't even afford to take the kids to the fair this summer. The government regulates prices such as milk they need to do the same for gas. Of course they won't.

pamcakes
July 23rd, 2006, 9:45pm
i really noticed on our recent trip back east, how beautiful and reasonable the prices of fruit and veggies were....compared to central california that is! we grow all of the produce i saw in boston here in our county, but we pay 1/2 again as much and that's for all the leftovers! the really good strawberries, cauliflower, broccoli, etc are shipped back east and to japan and it's hard to find the good stuff here in our own neighborhoods! and you guys aren't kidding about the cost of living...of course according to our government there is NO inflation, NO recession coming and the minimum wage is adequate for a family of four to live on..NOT! thanks all for letting me vent..LOL! :bhead:

FreakDuJour
July 23rd, 2006, 10:19pm
Unfortunately, things will probably only get worse- those who are content to pull the wool over their eyes and pretend everything is hunky-dory in the good ol' USA will be up for a rude awakening, I'm afraid. :frown5:

jenninshelby
July 23rd, 2006, 10:57pm

I am glad I live in a country where I can speak my mind when I am not happy with the Powers That Be who are running things!!

nan20052
July 23rd, 2006, 11:24pm
Last year our electric bill went up 48%. It now costs almost double for gas as to what it did a little while ago. Everything at Walmart has gone up by 10+%. Our economy is not doing well at all and frankly-It Scares Me for everyone. It breaks my heart to think of all the resources that have gone into WAR and rebuilding when we have so many needs. When you talk to people every day who don't go to the Dr. when they need to,nor buy meds and go for years without teeth because they can't afford the dentist-it is SAD!!.There is a local free clinic once a year and literally hundreds line up hours before for a chance to get medical care.

bigskwinner
July 23rd, 2006, 11:32pm
well i'm not sure what your minimum wages are but here it just went up 3 times in the past year and is now currently $7.55/hr and is going up again in march of 2007 but i am uncertain as to what (we do have universal medical here and working families with lower incomes have full medical coverage for children ie glasses dental or an ambulance)

we get a 3% raise each yr at work to cope with the cost of living and its prob alot cheaper to live in a town my size then in a city

the only thing really keeping me at my job (low pay, heavy laborer) is the convenience of it all....no travelling involved..i work in my town and at the cost of gas i seriously have to suck up how bad it is at keybrand (two people recently quit cus of the low wages and both are now working in the city, at the same job, for $11/hr start with a guarantee in writing to go up to $13 once they pass probation)
1) Nunavut $8.50 March 3, 2003
2) Northwest Territories $8.25 December 28, 2003
3) British Columbia $8.00 November 1, 2001
4) Ontario $7.75 February 1, 2006
5) Quebec $7.60 May 1, 2005
6) Manitoba $7.60 April 1, 2006
7) Saskatchewan $7.55 March 1, 2006
8) Yukon $7.20 October 1, 1998
9&10) Nova Scotia $7.15 April 1, 2006
9&10) Prince Edward Island $7.15 April 1, 2006
11) Alberta $7.00 September 1, 2005
12&13) New Brunswick $6.50 January 1, 2006
12&13) Newfoundland $6.50 January 1, 2006
Federal minimum wage Rate Varies ($7.55 in Sask as of March 1, 2006

Indy
July 23rd, 2006, 11:58pm
:bhead: tsk, tsk, tsk, ....and they wonder why so many people in this country suffer from stress related illnesses! :sob:

rainydaymeg
July 24th, 2006, 12:20am
I have lived in this small Ohio town for most of my life....jobs are drying up, you are either rich or you are poor, is the good old USof A headed for a class war? Don't even get me started on Haliburton :bhead:

aycorn
July 24th, 2006, 1:14pm
OMG!!!!!!!!!! all day parking in the district (of columbia) aka DC has gone up $14 bucks..what the heck.. couldn't they do a gradual increase....whyyyyyyy whyyyyyyyyy :worry:

i've noticed too that they are squeezing out the poor in DC.. demolishing buildings and putting up nice lofts/apts..that i'm sure they cant afford..

thankfully i'm blessed but I do have compassion for people who are REALLY struggling :frown3:

ladysusan
July 24th, 2006, 1:23pm
Prices are horrible especially for those on fixed incomes. I'm on disability and every month it comes down to electric, phone, meds or food. Thank goodness for food banks!!

sparkleygem
July 24th, 2006, 8:06pm
So, who else is seriously considering a move to Canada? Canada is looking real good right now.

piccadilly99
July 24th, 2006, 8:34pm
I'm not familiar with Norway. I was only talking about England and the wages there aren't "twice" that as here. In fact, my English friend doesn't have to work here as she did at home (where they were just squeaking by). They live in a much nicer home, too. Her mom cried the first time she saw it. Yes, there is "free" healthcare in England, too. I'm not so sure "free" is the right way to describe it. And all the English folks joked that if we got sick/hurt we had better wait until we got back to the states to go to the dr.

My DH is from England and we went back to the UK to visit his parents and sister and he couldn't believe how much things have changed there in the past 7 years. Gas was crazy expensive and the US dollar isn't worth anything. As far as healthcare, people here complain that we should have "national healthcare" over here but I'm not too sure that is the best solution. I had to go to the hospital in England when I was pregnant 7 years ago and after about an hour there I pretty much hightailed it out of there. It was creepy.

dark_zino
July 24th, 2006, 10:05pm
Gas was crazy expensive and the US dollar isn't worth anything.

Now, this is what is frightening to me..The US dollar value is weakining all over the world. I seem to remember hearing from teachers back in high school if that ever happened, it could create a lot of devastation for this country.

linda54
July 24th, 2006, 10:13pm
welcome to the world of inflation, where wages don't keep up with it. I am a single mother of a teenager and it is terrible to tell him you don't have any money for something because you have rent, utilities, FOOD, and the necessities of life.

samie_32d
July 24th, 2006, 10:47pm
I agree with you all and it is very scary. With Israel and Lebannon fighting it really makes you do some thinking. I wonder how we as everyday people could make a difference .

jenninshelby
July 24th, 2006, 11:07pm
I have lived in this small Ohio town for most of my life....jobs are drying up, you are either rich or you are poor, is the good old USof A headed for a class war? Don't even get me started on Haliburton :bhead:

Yep.. They have pretty much killed being middle class in this country. Not much in between. You either dirt poor or filthy rich!! :frown3:

K3GREENco
July 24th, 2006, 11:11pm
Inflation Cost Of Living==rising Prices--guess What???? In Zimbabwe The Inflation Rate Is 1,200 Per Cent--unemployment 80 Per Cent...or It Takes 520,000 Zimbabwe Dollars To Equal One Us Dollar---a Qt Of Beer Costs 450,000 Zd Dollars--loaf Of Bread 200,00zd Dollars---pint Of Milk 200,000 Zd Dollars--the Average Person In Zimbabwe Earns -15 Millions Zd Dollars A Month--it Costs Over A Million Dollars To Have Breakfast--as For Gasoline There Is None At Any Price--no Foreign Currency To Buy Fuel -food-medical Supplies --the Currency Is Worthless --plus Its Only Printed On One Side--costs Ink..

FreakDuJour
July 24th, 2006, 11:30pm
So, who else is seriously considering a move to Canada? Canada is looking real good right now.

You have no idea how many times my husband and I have discussed that over the past two years or so....lookin' pretty good...

aycorn
July 24th, 2006, 11:49pm
u know, i've thought about this.. and i figured maybe its best to maximize financial resources here then hop over to canada mid-life and avoid all the insurance costs associated with health problems set on by old age

one of the reasons i make it a point to make health a #1 priority is because prevention is more cost effective than becoming a sickly elderly person who has to decide if they should eat or pay for their medication.. :worry:

sparkleygem
July 24th, 2006, 11:55pm
I've been telling hubby for the longest time that I do not want to move away from San Antonio, because I've been here since I was 7, and all my friends and family are here, the cost of living is good, and I like the culture here - it's really difficult to find that anywhere else. But shit, America is going down hill fast, and it may just be time to get the hell out. :frown3: Soon Canada will probably close their borders, because Americans are trying to flee their horrible country. :worry: Soon we'll be the ones on boats, looking for some other place to go, trying to get the hell out.