PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping Pet Peeves???

toydiva65
February 2nd, 2006, 5:36pm
Do you have any sweeping pet peeves? Here's mine:

WHY....in the name of everything good....do sweepstakes twist, distort and fuzz-out the codes you have to type in? They are put there to keep automated programs from entering. (and I'm sure the automated programs can't read) So why distort the image for us real, live breathing, typing people?! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

jesslag
February 2nd, 2006, 5:47pm
Flash ones when Robo wont work and I actually have to TYPE something *gasp*

webwalking1
February 2nd, 2006, 5:57pm
:joker: Me too!

rettak
February 2nd, 2006, 5:58pm
the games that are hard to play like moving a car around a track or getting a little guy to run around a room when all I can get him to do is run into the walls :help:

Stankle
February 2nd, 2006, 5:58pm
not winning :cry2:
:laugh:

Jerrysgirl
February 2nd, 2006, 5:59pm
The sweep companies want to see how fast we can pull out our hair. :bhead: :rofl3: :yesyes:

littlelulu
February 2nd, 2006, 6:00pm
D. All of the above

bcaps10
February 2nd, 2006, 6:04pm
Daily sweeps that make you fill out the survey everytime you enter and the ones that ask if you used their product, you say no but it still makes you answer 10 more questions about their product.....they one you just told them you had never used!

Cara

JenGen
February 2nd, 2006, 6:10pm
I thought I was the only one that couldn't play that darn Aquafina game!!! :bhead:

Lavish304
February 2nd, 2006, 6:27pm
Daily sweeps that make you fill out the survey everytime you enter and the ones that ask if you used their product, you say no but it still makes you answer 10 more questions about their product.....they one you just told them you had never used!

Cara

That is my biggest one!!!

wottahuzzee
February 2nd, 2006, 6:33pm
I hate it when you have to be 18+ to enter and it asks for your birthdate. Of course, the pulldown menu starts with birth year 2005--duh!

I've also come across a couple open only to US residents and, you guessed it, the pulldown menu for country starts with Afghanistan. Don't get it.

Janet
February 2nd, 2006, 6:36pm
The codes drive me crazy!!

shellockjohn
February 2nd, 2006, 6:37pm
Flash Pop Ups!! Those are soooo annoying! It always takes me a few seconds to figure out how to close them out!!

sparkleygem
February 2nd, 2006, 6:42pm
:look:

Dawggy
February 2nd, 2006, 6:45pm
mine is

SEEING JANKY Over and Over and Over and Over

teraberry
February 2nd, 2006, 6:55pm
I hate locals where you have to drive to pick up your prize. For me it's normally a half hour drive to get something like a small gift card or event tickets. By the time you figure in gas, you wonder if it's worth the trip.

Judy Jetson
February 2nd, 2006, 9:11pm
Pet Peeve 1: Creative Presentations
Pet Peeve 2: Never announcing winners of Creative Presentations

jesslag
February 2nd, 2006, 9:58pm
:look:
what is this smiley saying. Don't take it in a bad way I am just dense lol. Is that a magnifying glass?

Willow
February 2nd, 2006, 9:59pm

Same here, have gotten so lazy :joker:

tamiwami
February 2nd, 2006, 10:02pm
I always wondered when good eye sight became a requirement for sweepers! :joker:

mynxdog
February 2nd, 2006, 10:06pm
I thought I was the only one that couldn't play that darn Aquafina game!!! :bhead:

Ditto here on Aquafina game! AND I swear the arrows would dissapear a fraction of a nano second before I'd get the guy/car there. :yesyes:

djr58
February 2nd, 2006, 10:10pm
It drives me nuts when I have to squint my eyes to near breaking point to read code letters that must be typed in to proceed to the next point.

The only other thing I think of: Janky.
I want the sweeps people to understand that "janky" is a dirty word! :rofl3:

flared0ne
February 2nd, 2006, 10:15pm
that require a degree in Contract Law to interpret... and THEN to find out that the sweepstakes form designer couldn't understand the rules EITHER...

rocksea_lady
February 3rd, 2006, 12:21am
Why do you need to type city and state if you give them your zip code?? I will never understand that!!

joolzie
February 3rd, 2006, 12:31am
So many good (?) peeves here, especially the daily surveys. Down with daily, non-changing surveys.

I hate forms that don't tab to all the places that you need to fill out, or tabs that don't follow a logical order (first name, street address, birthdate, last name, city... seriously guys, my brain doesn't work that way).

I really dislike flash forms with dropdowns too, because I can't just type the first couple letters/numbers and have it jump to place, I actually have to scroll through the drop down. Bah on that.

TVGirl
February 3rd, 2006, 1:26am
PASSWORDS!!!! AAAARRRRGGH!

Why do I have to "create an account" for every living website under the sun?
I mean, is somebody really going to try and "break in" to my Lean Cuisine account? Or my Planters nuts accounts? Fo' real.

trendmaven
February 3rd, 2006, 1:35am
Those darn codes that look like K68SAF. You cant tell what it is! :rolleyes2

maliasmommy
February 3rd, 2006, 1:37am
I dislike the sweeps that take forever to load or get through just to enter. I even have DSL.

I hate the codes where there are squiggly or wavy lines and you can't read the numbers/letters.

loved1
February 3rd, 2006, 2:16am
Flash sites that take forever to load & dailies that require you to answer surveys everyday.

Gmaw
February 3rd, 2006, 2:38am
:joker: Okay, I agree with all those and have another. When they give you a confirmation number for LOSING. What am I going to do with that???!! If I saved all those I would have to add memory....

saintcheryl
February 3rd, 2006, 2:44am
PASSWORDS!!!! AAAARRRRGGH!

Why do I have to "create an account" for every living website under the sun?
I mean, is somebody really going to try and "break in" to my Lean Cuisine account? Or my Planters nuts accounts? Fo' real.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

saintcheryl
February 3rd, 2006, 2:51am
I drives me up the frickin wall when these sites have some loud, obnoxious music blasting and I can't turn it off....THEN, the music is still playing AFTER I leave the web site! The only way I can get it to stop is to close out my browser. :mad2: :mad2:

aycorn
February 9th, 2006, 12:34pm
bump

its_inevitable
February 9th, 2006, 2:28pm
1. Turning on my speakers to listen to something I want to hear only to have a sites theme hijack it.

2. Why don't companies post the winners to their site instead of requiring us to send a S.A.S.E. and waste $.78? It would save us both time and paper and it would give us all another reason to visit their site. It would also be nice to know that the prize has been actually awarded to someone.

3. Sites that crash my computer.

clc408
February 9th, 2006, 7:44pm
Programmers who think dark green, brown or blue lettering on black backgrounds is cool. I keep a magnifying glass next to my monitor. :frown3:

MISSYKADE
February 9th, 2006, 8:04pm
My biggest pet peeve is a daily entry contest that says you can enter up to 10 times daily, or like the new I tune that is 25 times daily!!! UGH! :worry: :mad2: :goofy3:

Another peeve I have is AOL and Kraft Contests!!! I have entered these religiously and have never won once! :worry:

It's like a sickness! :eek2: I keep telling myself "SKIP THEM" but I can't. :laugh:

KAnthony25
February 9th, 2006, 8:21pm
the games that are hard to play like moving a car around a track or getting a little guy to run around a room when all I can get him to do is run into the walls :help:

Ahhhh... Aquafina... and here I thought it was just me! :laugh:

TDAWG
February 9th, 2006, 8:42pm
ON OLS - "Where's the Winner's List for this contest?"- then posting win in notes.

WORSE - Winner's list that you created (and haven't won anything yet) is posted two posts below "I won a candy bar!" :frown3:

EVEN WORSE "Hey, sillies, here's a way to manipulate the codes and cheat! Its fun to steal someone's legit unique code out from under them!" :mad2: There is one in a popular sweep notes right this minute (worded somewhat more discretely)..

EVEN EVEN WORSE "I won 17 bottles and I am so mad that they 'shorted' us 2.5 ounces per bottle." :mad2: :mad2:

ON SWEEPS SITES

As a former web developer - I agree to the "tabs out of order in a sweeps form" as being one of my major pet peeves - it makes me scream! Why phone number after first name? :rolleyes:

Again, I agree that similar colored text on similar colored backgrounds in sweeps forms is beyond necessary - regardless of how "avant garde" the site is.

Don't recall this being mentioned, but being told to expect an e-mail "shortly." A slightly more narrowed time-frame would be nice.

Websites not responding to multiple requests regarding MONSTER errors on their sweeps form/processing.

I could go on, but I'm sure they've either been mentioned or will be "shortly." :laugh:

bkang
February 9th, 2006, 8:56pm
Yep now that you mention it passwords for everything! and negative people

Ohtiger
February 9th, 2006, 8:58pm
I actually get annoyed at the shifty sweepstakes people that let you opt out for a few days or so, and then they completely change the selections so that your original opt out changes to opt in (Reader's Digest is one). That seems like those folks don't care about the quality of their lists, just to collect names.

twinangels
February 9th, 2006, 9:20pm
Hate it when a prize is listed on the start date but doesn't actually start until a week or so later!

jenninshelby
February 9th, 2006, 9:33pm
Sweeps that do not work right!! Or ones that are a nightmare! Like that Dell christmas instant! ugh. :mad2:

tledbetter
February 10th, 2006, 11:22am
I hate locals where you have to drive to pick up your prize. For me it's normally a half hour drive to get something like a small gift card or event tickets. By the time you figure in gas, you wonder if it's worth the trip.

Yea, teraberry...around here there's two radio station "owners"...Cox Radio and Clear Channel. I won a DVD from Cox and it took 50 minutes just to get to the station in all the traffic. I "paid" for the DVD in time and gas. I think I'll enter Clear Channel's now, they're a lot closer.
My pet peeve is "no transportation provided" on trip sweeps. Aarrgghhhh!

clc408
February 10th, 2006, 3:08pm
When there's a huge grand prize and a lot of nice other prizes, I wish they would separate the sweeps so you could enter for only the minor prizes. Lots of times I would not like to pay the taxes on the huge prize, but would be delighted with the smaller ones. I feel guilty entering for a prize I would most certainly decline.

sweepsfreak
February 10th, 2006, 3:32pm
Mine is...I enter my DD for the lunchables sweeps and the drop down box for the birth year goes beyond the age restrictions. Why go beyond the age restriction?

litefoot873
February 12th, 2006, 11:03am
:jump: :jump: That Aquafina One. I can drive a truck 10 hours a day- but I can't make that little car go where I want it to. :drip: :jump: :jump:

bigskwinner
February 12th, 2006, 11:30am
I have to agree with the squggly lined things that no one can usually read
anything like homeandsimple i just save to my roboform and re-enter that way day after day, so that makes no biggie in my life
hmm the ones that are screwed up lol like the STQ is a decimal or the one where the birthdate on the form was wrong
ones that dont have a winners list EVER
ones that are just there to sell your email addy (theres one listed here that is an email type)
the atnzone contests that have the 'videso' in the contest that slow you down like sheeeetttt
the contests that require you to sign up to a newsletter you dont read or dont want
contest sites that have made the rules so difficult for those of us who actually do the entering for themselves
contest rules that are really really vague or say daily entry and then when you go back they're like
hell this is one time dude your busted

Terigirl
February 12th, 2006, 11:33am
Do you have any sweeping pet peeves? Here's mine:

WHY....in the name of everything good....do sweepstakes twist, distort and fuzz-out the codes you have to type in? They are put there to keep automated programs from entering. (and I'm sure the automated programs can't read) So why distort the image for us real, live breathing, typing people?! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

Yup, I HATE that! Some are good at making them readable, some are just plain horrible. I HATE that Clorox instant that I've been entering for months. Sometimes the "C's" look like "G's" and visa versa. I see the need for the codes, but I wish that some would make it a little easier for "real, live, breathing, typing" people to read. :cheer7:

jolee62
February 12th, 2006, 11:40am
I can relate to all of the above!!!!!

Georgie Girl
February 12th, 2006, 11:46am
Unlimited sweeps.

Rokki
February 12th, 2006, 11:54am
Companies that don't test their entry forms first to see if they work before starting a sweep, and then compound my peeviness by not responding to our emails to fix it.

buttercup100
February 12th, 2006, 12:05pm
I agree with sites that crash my computer and most of all, when I win and the prize doesn't arrive. :(

daskds
February 12th, 2006, 5:33pm
Notes! People that put useless information or questions in the notes on the sweeps. Or the twenty "Thank you" so that you have to page to get to the answer!! Or those people that complain about the company sponsoring the sweep. Unless you are telling me they are spammers or somehow will harm me or my computer, just leave it alone.