PDA

View Full Version : Affidavit question

lotusgirl
February 2nd, 2006, 9:45am
I won a $50 prize, and the company, in Canada, wants me to sign an affidavit. They don't want my SSN or anything more private than my name, address and DOB. This is my first affidavit. Anyone know why they would want this in the form of an affidavit? Is it because it's from a Canadian company? At least I don't have to do the skill testing question! Thanks.

wackydackydoo
February 2nd, 2006, 9:48am
I've gotten those types of forms before to fill out and return. I think they're simply verifying who you are and sometimes your signature agreeing to the rules is required.

suzieque810
February 2nd, 2006, 9:51am
any contest you enter has the right to ask you for information -- especially for 1099s. If you don't want to give the information, just decline the prize.

Revawter
February 2nd, 2006, 9:52am
I just sent off an affy for a TEN dollar prize that I had to have notarized! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :bounce:

kathytracey
February 2nd, 2006, 9:52am
I just had to sign one for a $25 DVD. It only $1 to notarize it so I did. I just assume it was for there records.

wackydackydoo
February 2nd, 2006, 10:00am
Yeh, but can you top sending one back for a $.99 hotwheel (no social security number required)!! :shocked4:

Now, if I had to pay for the faxing which would have cost more than the Hotwheel, I would have said forget about it!! :goofy3:

caseycupcake
February 2nd, 2006, 10:01am
Sweeps sponsored in foreign countries are not required to submit US 1099's Sis won a trip to Quebec (from a Canadian sweep) and was not asked to fill out any paperwork. Of course, it is still your responsibility to report any and all wins to the IRS, no matter how small.

Tarah716
February 2nd, 2006, 10:01am
Yeah, I got one for a $15 CD - they said it's just to make sure that you were in fact within the rules of being able to legally win the prize

pandka
February 2nd, 2006, 10:25am
I think the worst was the Campbell's sweep where they wanted you to print off the form, fill it out and mail it in for a .99 i-tune. By the time you used paper, ink, envelope, and stamp- it wasn't worth it.

wackydackydoo
February 2nd, 2006, 10:29am
I won one of those i-tunes too. I just said forget it and let it go. It would have cost more than the prize!!

Luvs2Win
February 2nd, 2006, 10:37am
I just sent off an affy for a TEN dollar prize that I had to have notarized! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :bounce:

Me too, Revawter! It was the "HOSTEL BAG OF SWAG"... :smile3:

LindaKay
February 2nd, 2006, 1:41pm
It just depends on the sponsor's own policies - some company auditiors want better records than others. Similar to varying "return" policies in stores. Many of them require you to sign and others just issue credit or give money back. It is all in the internal control of the company.