PDA

View Full Version : AOL is Not Accepting Email from OLS

Brent
February 1st, 2006, 1:19pm
AOL's mailservers are currently rejecting all email from OLS. This includes registration emails, subscriptions, password reminders and everything else from OLS that comes in the form of an email.

The problem most likely is due to a spammer on the same network as OLS' server. ISPs will often ban a whole class or sub-class of an IP address instead of the specific IP address from which the spam originated.

I submitted a trouble ticket with our web host a couple of days ago and tech support is currently working on fixing the problem with AOL. I expect the issue to be cleared up at anytime, however, there is a small chance it may not be. In these situations, the ISP who received the spam (in this case AOL) typically requires the ISP/web host whose network the spam originated (our web host) to zap the offending account/server before accepting the email once again. It usually goes pretty smoothly, except when it don't. :rolleyes:

It should be just fine. I'll keep you updated.

Brent

jacksgrl
February 1st, 2006, 1:25pm
Thanks for the update Brent. I was wondering why I wasn't getting notifications of my PM's. I'm glad the problem is being resolved. :)

DCNY
February 1st, 2006, 1:26pm
thanks for the info
i was wondering why i was not getting any mail from OLS
have a great day!

marilyn lux
February 1st, 2006, 1:30pm
Thanks so much for posting this information and for keeping on top of it. I thought it was strange that I wasn't getting any e-mail notifications from here at all.

mcclave
February 1st, 2006, 1:34pm
So I guess this means that the 25 years free ols premium membership that you were e-mailing me about never got to me! :cool2:

htg20
February 1st, 2006, 1:42pm
No wonder I am not getting my daily subscribed thread emails.....

Should I get another email address? I hate to think that I have missed a win notice b/c AOL won't let me decide what is spam and what is not....

Gmaw
February 1st, 2006, 1:47pm
Thanks for the info. I was wondering where my notifications were. :rolleyes:

mariebow
February 1st, 2006, 2:19pm
Excuse me am I missing something, what email notifications from OLS? :cheer7:

hoopdee
February 1st, 2006, 3:06pm
Thank you for letting us know. :lendhand:

witdun
February 1st, 2006, 4:53pm
How do you sign up for e-mail and notifications from OLS?

Rhozalea
February 1st, 2006, 8:54pm
If you post a new thread, or reply to an existing thread, you can choose to be notified by email when someone else replies to that thread. You can also choose to receive email notifications of new posts in a thread without posting in that thread, by clicking the 'Subscribe to this thread' link displayed in the thread page.

If you choose to stop receiving email notifications from a thread, you can turn off the option by either editing your post, or by unsubscribing from the thread here.

Only registered users may receive email notification, and they can set whether they want to receive email notification by default by editing their options.

Email notification is also referred to as 'Thread Subscription'

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_email_notification

HTH

MelBear
February 4th, 2006, 9:40am
Brent,
I am still NOT receiving any emails from ols. I've worked, checked and resubscribed to everything this past couple weeks prior to being directed to this thread. I even sent myself an email from ols which I've never received. I also redid my mail settings and contacted aol (which I knew would bring a stupid generic answer). Their email suggested I check my settings and folders. Anyone else still not receving their mail? Thanks for any help
Mel

Inkyskeeper
February 4th, 2006, 10:08am
Brent,
I am still NOT receiving any emails from ols. I've worked, checked and resubscribed to everything this past couple weeks prior to being directed to this thread. I even sent myself an email from ols which I've never received. I also redid my mail settings and contacted aol (which I knew would bring a stupid generic answer). Their email suggested I check my settings and folders. Anyone else still not receving their mail? Thanks for any help
Mel

brent posted on this 3 days ago and your asking about it? give it some time, like brent said, it may not be resolved anytime soon or not at all.....im not getting the e-mails either but its not big deal to me...i can always come here and go to the threads i need to check on.

hopefully its back to normal in a few weeks and if not we CAN live without it...cant we? lol

theamira
February 4th, 2006, 10:20am
Using aol as a sweeping address isn't a good idea. AOL is well known for blocking email from a whole range of ip addresses. Who knows how many winning emails the sweepers have blocked? I always tell everyone to sign up for a free account at yahoo or hotmail or gmail.

KRSchulze
February 4th, 2006, 10:31am
Using aol as a sweeping address isn't a good idea. AOL is well known for blocking email from a whole range of ip addresses. Who knows how many winning emails the sweepers have blocked? I always tell everyone to sign up for a free account at yahoo or hotmail or gmail.

I've heard it before, but I guess I needed to hear it again. From this day forward my sweeps entries will be to my yahoo account. Thanks!

MelBear
February 4th, 2006, 3:48pm
brent posted on this 3 days ago and your asking about it? give it some time, like brent said, it may not be resolved anytime soon or not at all.....im not getting the e-mails either but its not big deal to me...i can always come here and go to the threads i need to check on.

hopefully its back to normal in a few weeks and if not we CAN live without it...cant we? lol

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I was wondering if anyone else was still having the problem since I hadn't seen any other posts on it, (only posts that the notifications were back). And, I'm sorry if I seemed impatient or rude, I just recently found out about the problem that it wasn't a 'secluded' problem only for me. I also want you to know I wasn't blaming or holding Brent responsible. And since finding out it IS AOL, I have contacted them numerous times and this time I got a little better reply:

I understand you are having difficulties receiving e-mail from onlinesweeps.com that you believe the mail filters on America Online (AOL) are blocking.

I know how something like this can really try your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

To resolve the issue, please advice your sender to inform the System Administrator of his/her ISP (onlinesweeeps.com) to contact AOL Postmaster Team at 703-265-4670 or 1-888-212-5537 and the Postmaster group will evaluate their mailing patterns and resolve any outstanding issues with their server or domain.

Maybe if others would complain as well, it could help us get our emails back.

MelBear
February 4th, 2006, 3:57pm

I wasn't aware there were isssues with aol's blocking mail. I originally set my mail controls when I got it and thought ALL the mail I wished to get was received. Forgive my ingnorance on aol and the mail issues. Is there any links or info I can read up on this?
Also, awhile back there had been contest and members were saying we couldn't enter with 'free' or 'disposable' account email addresses. So that is why I chose to use aol as my sweeping address.

bomar97
February 4th, 2006, 4:10pm
Yahoo isn't perfect either... I've missed some e-mails and found other personal e-mails sent into the bulk file.... :worry:

Beth
February 4th, 2006, 4:13pm
Thanks for letting me know this. My premium expired and I was wondering why I didn't get a notice. (I renewed it as soon as I noticed I wasn't green) I just thought you didn't want my money. :laugh:
:jump:

MelBear
February 4th, 2006, 4:46pm
Never mind on posting links or info. I blingoed it and am sitting here amazed!

Thanks and sorry everyone
Mel

iluvmichele
February 4th, 2006, 9:17pm
AOL is back.

MrsM
February 4th, 2006, 9:25pm
I've heard it before, but I guess I needed to hear it again. From this day forward my sweeps entries will be to my yahoo account. Thanks!
Not me. I would never trade my AOL for any of those.

iluvmichele
February 4th, 2006, 9:56pm
It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. I just got a boatload of emails form OLS.

Sunnybrook
February 5th, 2006, 1:27am
a friend of mine is trying to become a member but she uses AOL, is it still working because she tried again when I saw the recent post and still has no gotten an email to get her membership, any recent information would be appreciated

marilyn lux
February 5th, 2006, 1:17pm
It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. I just got a boatload of emails form OLS.

not me

Karen_246
February 5th, 2006, 1:26pm
I haven't either.

DoveBran
February 5th, 2006, 2:00pm
Not back for me either

polsky41
February 5th, 2006, 2:28pm
AOL has nothing to do with me!! DH would not have anything to do with them, except go in their contest And they have proven to be a thorn in our side for that too!! Guess people have got to make a choice AOL or OLS!! Anybody want to change Know their is more Gmail still open?? Hey I once got a notice from my card site That the people i sent cards to that had AOL were not getting their cards, Because AOL refused them!! they said the same as brent, hey we're sure we will have it settled in a week or so!! And they did!! But who the H-LL is AOL GOD?? Are they trying to prove a point, if so what?? Seems to me You have the choice who you want to get mail from, Shouldn't be them making your decisions!!! I can only say Thank God for DH making a point not to use them even though he got them FREE buying Dell and that was about 7 or more times!! When we first starting on the net DH Got them he didn't like their God like attitude then and got rid of of them!! Since then they have gotten worst!!!

Janir
February 5th, 2006, 2:37pm
Yahoo isn't perfect either... I've missed some e-mails and found other personal e-mails sent into the bulk file.... :worry:
Same here! Plus I find it very slow.

iluvmichele
February 5th, 2006, 2:43pm
I haven't either.
This is wierd. Last night all at once I got about 20-25 emails from OLS from threads I was subscribed to. Since then, nada.

ResourcePress
February 5th, 2006, 2:46pm
AOL's mailservers are currently rejecting all email from OLS. This includes registration emails, subscriptions, password reminders and everything else from OLS that comes in the form of an email.
Thanks, that explains a LOT.

polsky41
February 5th, 2006, 4:46pm
Not me. I would never trade my AOL for any of those.
I agree wth you Yahoo is no better than AOL But the only 2 sites worst than them is #1 top of the worst go.com then mail.com and i am talking free, paying wise can't say!! But to pay for an email account, when there is good free one's out there is a shame!! Now if you are paying for AOL, There is no one worst as far as a paying account!! My DD was like you at the beginning and she even went to paying for it, But paying and taking their garbage was another story!! She left them and went back to yahoo!! And Yahoo is no great shakes!! Now the only ones i known sticking with AOL is the older folks, not happy with them, but too old to change!! Or younger person's like yourself might have your children signed up and don't want to be bothered!! Bottom line if your paying for them, and they are making decisions for you what they want you to receive, not want you want to receive and your happy go for it!! but was wondering if the AOL GOD deceides you'll never receive OLS mail what will you do??

redfantum
February 8th, 2006, 7:44pm
I just had an forum update come through on my aol account. Looks like everything is fixed again. Yay!

Noggy
February 8th, 2006, 7:57pm
AOL is my ISP but I learned a long time ago that it is best to have an email addy for sweeps somewhere else on the net. I use Yahoo! but there are a host of other options you can use that would eliminate this problem. I did it initially to insure AOL did not block any emails notifying me of a win. They are afterall one of the best spamblocking ISPs on the net...but they can get a little gestapo :worry: like at times.

mcclave
February 9th, 2006, 5:28pm
It still isn't working for me!!

sha467
February 9th, 2006, 5:35pm
I am receiving email from aol on posts that I have chosen from online sweeps.

Knock on wood!!! I have not had any problems with aol since I joined quite some time ago.

Hope everything gets worked out for all of you. :worry:

mcclave
February 11th, 2006, 7:18pm
I'm confused then cause I changed my e-mail back to my aol account and I got completely locked out of ols because I never recieved my conformation e-mail so that I could click on the link and confirm.

I got it straightened out and got back in and changed my email back to my yahoo account and recieved my conformation e-mail right away.

I wonder why it's working for some of us but not others? I have all the email addresses that come from ols on my address book in aol so it doesn't make sense.

I guess I'll call aol and ask them!!

jolee62
February 11th, 2006, 10:37pm
Thank you for the info Brett

mcclave
February 12th, 2006, 9:59am
AOL sent me on the usual journey through automated phone land and told me that my settings were messed up. I checked my settings they are fine. Whatever happened to the good old days when an actual person would pick up the phone and say "Hello"

I'm not going to worry about it will just keep the yahoo for now it's working fine!