PDA

View Full Version : Trip Sweeps

its_inevitable
January 30th, 2006, 2:06pm
Just wondering how people feel about entering for trips that are geared for something that you are not really interested in. Like if there is a sweep for a country music contest trip and you don't like country music (or it could be golf, or auto racing, or whatever) do you enter anyways? I mean would you enter, take the trip and not participate in the event and just use the trip as a chance to travel and see someplace new or would you feel guilty for not participating in the event?

Also do you enter if the trip is geared toward a group that you are not a member of e.g. if it is from bet.com and your aren't black or if it is from a gay travel company and you are straight?

joolzie
January 30th, 2006, 2:30pm
It depends how uninterested in the event I am. If it's something I don't care much about but it wouldn't bother me to attend, I'll still enter. If it's something I really wouldn't want to attend, I wouldn't enter. Sometimes sponsors just give you tickets to the event and that's it, other times they may be sitting right next to you, and you don't really know what kind of situation it's going to be until you get there.

I don't enter sweeps for trips that are targeted toward groups I'm not part of... Unless I was, for whatever reason, already a user of the product or paid attention to the show or whatever, and it was for an event that really wasn't aimed at any group (family trips to Disney, trips to Vegas, etc).

I don't enter for many trips to begin with though, so it's pretty much in line with my normal criteria.

cowboyswife
January 30th, 2006, 2:35pm
I only enter trips that I really want to go on. I don't enter too many of them because I have a family of four and most of the trips are for two people. And there are no way I can go anywhere with out my kids. Especially if it is a week long trip. I have family here that could watch them. But, my husband and I would miss them too much. :)

NAL027
January 30th, 2006, 2:35pm
Nope, There are SO many contests around that I only enter the ones that I would want to win. What's the sense of winning a cruise for gays if you're married and straight?

AmberMoon
January 30th, 2006, 2:37pm
I would if i wanted to go to that area or if it had lots of other prizes with it

wackydackydoo
January 30th, 2006, 2:39pm
I enter them, and we won a trip to Las Vegas. We got concert tickets to see Trisha Yearwood, and I got to play poker with her. We don't listen to country music, but we had a great time; and Trisha Yearwood was very nice.

On trips for two, we'll request the sponsor book an extra seat that we pay for so that we have a seat for our daughter. She goes everywhere with us.

susseess
January 30th, 2006, 2:45pm
It really depends on the sweeps. I'll even go on a gay cruise if it's to the Virgin Islands or Tahiti. But I won't do football or Nascar unless they sweeten it with a chunk of money or it has 400 good lesser prizes I can try for! Also no Disney, I'll leave that to the younger folks with kids.

guruwan2b
January 30th, 2006, 2:58pm
I stay away from golf ones, but there are so many that I do like and enter. Just won one for a trip for 4 to the Caribbean... :cool2:

dondevinesr
January 30th, 2006, 3:01pm
i only enter ones that i would use, if i won.

Tricia316
January 30th, 2006, 3:08pm
I enter all trips except hunting trips. I would love to go to the NAACP awards and I am not black. I think they are doing something for Rosa Parks that night and she is inspiring to all people. My grandparents were white and members of the NAACP when my grandfather was the president of the school board and integrated the schools in the late 60's outside of Philadephia. So I have known about the organization since I was little and admire what they do.

I have never been fly fishing but if I won a trip to fly fish with the best fly fisherman (or fisherwoman) out there why not do it with the best? Same goes for hiking,biking, ect? If it is with a professional who knows what they are talking about I am willing to try it and hopefully not kill myself in the process! It is a once in a lifetime thing. And who knows, I could find I love the hobby.

I enter golf ones for my husband to play the rounds, and I will go to the spa.

I can travel at a moments notice so I enter short time frames as well.

I would enter events catering to the GLBT population because I have worked and been in that population for years (my first husband is gay, my current husband is straight) so why not go on a cruise with a bunch of lesbians? There was a contest recently for gay film festivals and travel to a few of them. Heck yeah I would go!

I don't enter wedding destination contests or ones I don't qualify for. I do enter ones where children can travel.

And I would take the trip and participate in the activities, I wouldn't call the sponsor and ask for a cash alternative!

Tricia

ResourcePress
January 30th, 2006, 3:29pm
If it is a short event, like a three hour concert, and the rest of the trip is several days in a place I want to visit, then I enter. But if the trip revolves around one event for most of the trip, and I am not interested in that event, than I don't enter. Maybe someone really interested in that event would have LOVED to win it.

Iraida
January 30th, 2006, 3:39pm
i only enter ones that i would use, if i won.

SAME HERE

bigskwinner
January 30th, 2006, 3:45pm
yes I personally know of someone who took a trip to a certain band and just cruised that city in the limo all night long instead of going to the concert

they were still able to enjoy the trip and all the stuff that went with from the sponsor

when i won my trip with the alias tv show i was supposed to meet the cast and crew..they would only be available one week but that conflicted with my schedule (I had to make sure I would have someone reliable to watch my children) so I told the sponsor that meeting a movie star was not my priority, making sure my children were safe was #1 one for this family

they did not mind at all and gave me extra goodies ($1000 cash )

my feelings, is if they do 'force' you to attend something you definintly are not interested in, then its a time share scam

joenkim
January 30th, 2006, 3:58pm
I don't enter for trips that have high ARV's based upon perks that I absolutely, positively will not use...what comes to mind is a premium sweeps with a prize trip to a golf resort...the ARV is so high because you get preferred tee times, your own caddy, etc. etc. That would be absolutely pointelss to me since I don't play golf (hubby does, but only once every few years!) so we would end up paying tax on something that does neither of us any good.

shellockjohn
January 30th, 2006, 3:59pm
The only sweeps I don't enter for are gay trip sweeps. I love the gays but those trips are for them. I guess I also don't enter for the "men" sweeps where you meet some bikini model or go to the playboy mansion. But then I'd probably go if it came with 5,000$ or something but they usual don't.

My trip requirements are that I need a desire to go to that location, 3 nights or more accomadations for local trips, 5 nights or more for father away trips, and transportation. Of course extra goodies are a plus!

So if there was a golf trip to Hawaii for 6 days/7nights. Heck yeah I'd go!! I'll learn to play for a trip to Hawaii.

highlandgirl27
January 30th, 2006, 4:02pm
I don't enter for sports trips or trips we wouldn't want to go to, but I do enter for the places I like. DH and I love to travel, especially CA, OR (he's from there), FL or Las Vegas... I would love to win a trip to Ireland or Scotland and he wants to go to Australia

tofu
January 30th, 2006, 4:04pm
I don't enter many trips because I won't enter for a trip I'm not interested in (which rules out sporting events, Nascar, golfing and hunting and fishing trips, and short trips to far-away places). I figure the sponsors want folks who are excited about being there!

wackydackydoo
January 30th, 2006, 4:09pm
I've learned from the trips we won, that the prize descriptions outlined in the rules aren't always written in stone. Many times, you can change an activity or just opt out, and the sponsor doesn't mind at all. On these trips, you aren't going to know what they actually end up costing until you get all the details, hotels, flights, etc., from the sponsor and check on the costs of those things. On one trip, I almost used the hotel rate for each night we stayed, but found out from their own correspondence that they were paying a group rate price which was over $100 less than the regular rate.

One trip we won had an ARV of $5,000, and it actually cost about $1,200. That trip included playing Texas Holdem' poker with Trisha Yearwood, so the ARV also included the cost of the poker chips of which I didn't win anyway!! :laugh:

Another trip had an ARV of $3,000, and it ended up costing about $1,600+.

On golf trips, I would think they would let you opt out of playing golf (letting them know ahead of time before they paid for it) unless it's one of those promo things where it's part of event.

Revawter
January 30th, 2006, 4:19pm
The only sweeps I don't enter for are gay trip sweeps. I love the gays but those trips are for them. I guess I also don't enter for the "men" sweeps where you meet some bikini model or go to the playboy mansion. But then I'd probably go if it came with 5,000$ or something but they usual don't.

My trip requirements are that I need a desire to go to that location, 3 nights or more accomadations for local trips, 5 nights or more for father away trips, and transportation. Of course extra goodies are a plus!

So if there was a golf trip to Hawaii for 6 days/7nights. Heck yeah I'd go!! I'll learn to play for a trip to Hawaii.

But you'd like, take me with you, right?

occ1956
January 30th, 2006, 4:36pm
I love to enter for trips, but stay away from trips around weddings, gays, (I feel they should have a chance to win), but I do enter others if it is a place we want to visit. I recently won a Nissan trip to Aspen, CO which involves skiing. I entered that trip because my sister lives in Denver and we both love Colorado. I thought it would have to be taken in winter, but they said we had a year and we are planning to go in June. I told them we would not use the skiing which was fine. If we had gone in winter, we would love to watch and also be in the atmosphere around skiing. They have agreed we will delay our flight home for a few days and stay in Denver at our own expense so I can see a new great-nephew and visit my sister. I won a trip to Yellowstone last year which was the most fantastic trip ever!

I would love to win anything to see country music, Florida, Disney, London, England, Italy and enter those trips, but the chances are slim so I dream!

A few years ago we could not have traveled at the drop of a hat, but since we are retired, I hope we get to go often.

I also do not enter any trips with concerts to rock music! I leave that to the young who would enjoy them.

Happy Sweeping! :jet: :jet: :jet:

Jean in Illinois

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!"

alycep06
January 30th, 2006, 4:49pm
I sometimes will enter even if I am not all that thrilled about the event, if it is place I really want to go to and really like.

knottymonkey
January 30th, 2006, 4:51pm
I pretty much only enter the ones I really want. I am not willing to pay taxes on a trip to a basketball game! But I'll admit, I did enter a BET sweep for a trip to Disney World and I'm about the whitest girlie you'd ever want to see. :rolleyes:

shellockjohn
January 30th, 2006, 5:38pm
But you'd like, take me with you, right?

Of course! :cool2: I'm sure I'll be recieving a call any day now about my next trip! Pack your bags!