PDA

View Full Version : Is instant pudding bad if it expired?

MrsM
January 29th, 2006, 2:15pm
I found 3 boxes of instant pudding in my cabinet that expired in 2004. I would usually just throw it away but I figured I'd ask first. It's dry, in a box, never opened. Do you think it's still good?

Revawter
January 29th, 2006, 2:37pm
I found 3 boxes of instant pudding in my cabinet that expired in 2004. I would usually just throw it away but I figured I'd ask first. It's dry, in a box, never opened. Do you think it's still good?

Ummm... pudding is what? Like 89c a box? Buy new puddin'! You don't need no 2 year old puddin'!

UNless, you are cooking Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee. I think 90% of her recipes require two year old pudding.

Nickyle
January 29th, 2006, 2:38pm
Pudding expires? :sherlock:

:laugh:

sallykay
January 29th, 2006, 2:40pm
I think I have some like that. Open it, look at it, smell it--if it seems fine, use it. I would.

There never used to be expiry dates on stuff. Now even canned food has them.

groovyguru
January 29th, 2006, 2:43pm
Most food "goes bad" in a couple of ways, loss of nutrients, oil rancid, molds, leaching of metals in acidic products in cans, parasite infestation. Yum, sounds good. Most dry items are probably safe at least some period beyond their label. Dry beans, lentils, sugar, are pretty stable for long term use.

I would suspect that the pudding would be okay. But, given the value of 3 boxes of pudding, you may not want to experiment on yourself. I would feel safe with most items that are 6 months expired, including dry medications.

doctorstrangelove
January 29th, 2006, 4:17pm
you should be OK, I've eaten worse... 6 months isn't bad if you've kept it in a cool, dry place. you've hear of Russian roulette? this is the Mexican version of the game...

majikgodss
January 29th, 2006, 5:04pm
No, you are fine. They just can't be sure that the flavor will be the same after a certain amount of time. There isn't much in pudding that can go bad, it is shelf stable.

Revawter
January 29th, 2006, 5:11pm
No, you are fine. They just can't be sure that the flavor will be the same after a certain amount of time. There isn't much in pudding that can go bad, it is shelf stable.

MrsM.... I get a creepy feeling that Jessica thinks she will end up getting your Keebler Cookie Clip if you die from eating expired pudding. Just a thought.

bomar97
January 29th, 2006, 5:15pm
I just made instant pudding at MIL's and only God knows how old it was!!!
It's just basically sugar and flavor.. lasts forever unless it gets damp!!

majikgodss
January 29th, 2006, 5:31pm
MrsM.... I get a creepy feeling that Jessica thinks she will end up getting your Keebler Cookie Clip if you die from eating expired pudding. Just a thought.

Well I do now!

Revawter
January 29th, 2006, 5:47pm
Well I do now!

Aren't YOU the same person who told me it was OK to eat the pink chicken and then PM'd me to ask who I gave my Vaseline lotion to in case I had an "accident"? Hmmm... :sherlock:

Revawter
January 29th, 2006, 6:02pm
I just made instant pudding at MIL's and only God knows how old it was!!!
It's just basically sugar and flavor.. lasts forever unless it gets damp!!

LOLOL! My X-mother in law used to freeze leftover salad. I am NOT joking. Like salad as in lettuce salad. She would Ziploc that puppy right up and stick it in the freezer. Yum. She was also one of those that had ice cream with like, 8 inches of freezer burn on it, and it was always some seasonal flavour, like she would offer us some "delicious egg-nog ice cream" on like, the fourth of July. Totally reminded me of Debbie Reynolds in that Albert Brook's movie "Mother."

duknuk
January 29th, 2006, 6:27pm
If it's still in powder form, it's OK.

If it feels like a brick, THROW it out.

littlelulu
January 29th, 2006, 6:38pm
Isn't it all made of preservatives anyway? I didn't know jello or pudding had expiry dates or could go bad. :)

majikgodss
January 29th, 2006, 7:25pm
Isn't it all made of preservatives anyway? I didn't know jello or pudding had expiry dates or could go bad. :)

Expiration dates make people feel better. That is why they put kraft "cheese" slices in the refridgerated section even though they are shelf stable and don't need to be refridgerated. People get scared by eating cheese that can be left out all day!

littlelulu
January 29th, 2006, 7:34pm
Expiration dates make people feel better. That is why they put kraft "cheese" slices in the refridgerated section even though they are shelf stable and don't need to be refridgerated. People get scared by eating cheese that can be left out all day!

One of our grocery stores regularly leaves those kind of things unrefrigerated and on display. lol. I bet that bother a lot of peeps. My DH is a fanatic. He won't eat yogurt that is one day past the date on the carton...I'm like, honey, yogurt is ummm, "spoiled" to begin with. Same with sour cream and bleu cheese. UMMMM....The BLEU is mold darlin! lol

MrsM
January 29th, 2006, 9:02pm
Thank you! I'm sure I won't use it. It's not the price!!! It was the fact my 5 y.o. was being a pain in the behind today and I told her we'd make pudding. Then I saw the date and got scared. :laugh: I didn't make it. :worry:

cpnqn
January 30th, 2006, 4:34am
If it's bad when it's expired- nobody eat at my house- I have some expired soap- I'm pretty certain is older than your pudding- it cleans just fine! lol.

Seriously- pudding is dried milk- which if it makes you feel better they include in MRE's- which are KNOWN for survival- even in HARSH temps...

with grainy stuff I always look for webs, bugs or 'proof' of ailment before I worry too much...

I use pudding alot here since it's forever free somehow- but, always find that ONE box that was tucked under the others somehow. Nobody has died yet- and I wasn't nice enough to tell them either- figure I was nice enough to BRING them a desert- they can eat it, if it's good enough for my family, certainly it's good enough for my friends!