PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever won a raffle drawing?

positivelift
January 29th, 2006, 1:02pm
Have you ever won a raffle drawing sponsored by a fire department or other organization?

I am thinking of attending the Hagerstown Professional Firefighters IAFF Bonanza Extraganza. They are selling 8,500 tickets and the ones that are not sold will go to the firefighters union.

If you have won in one of these types of raffle drawings, what was your prize?

dopey
January 29th, 2006, 1:09pm
I won one 20 years ago. It was kind of funny. The sign said the tickets were 2 for $.50 or 3 for a $1. I bought two $.50 worth. I won dinner for two at a Mexican resteraunt.

bigskwinner
January 29th, 2006, 1:10pm
won a coffee thermos with the red cross logo on it (i dont mind buying these types of tickets that support a sponsor of my choice)
my father put dd's name on the ticket with his - he'd been buying them for well over 20 yrs, never won a thing til he put her name on it lol - they won $100 (lol the grandparents then gave each grandchild $100 :rolleyes: )
my dad won something else too..think it was a flashlight or something with the logo of that draw..prob the red cross as well..think it was one of those rechargable ones you stick into a plugin

for the staff Christmas party everyones ticket stuff was put into a draw and out of 40 staff members, my number was the only one picked (i won two bottles of cheap wine) there were well over 400 people at the party, all small business people

Jennirae
January 29th, 2006, 1:19pm
I won $30.00 in a vfw raffle, a crocheted table cloth in a church raffle, and A gift basket of picnic items from a work raffle. I look at raffles like this. Even if the odds are not the best the money used to buy the ticket is going to a good cause!

hawkshoe
Yes, I have won a couple raffles. One prize was $25 gift certificate for a local chain restaurant. I have also won $25 cash.

swpsfansweare
this past thanksgiving, our fire dept. had a turkey party, .50 cents a ticket and they raffeld off turkeys all night, we spent 23.00 and won 1 turkey!!! it was a 10 pounder, hardly worth that much. we live in a really small town and there were people walking away with like 10-11 of those birds!!!

trick74
January 29th, 2006, 1:20pm
I won a gift basket with an ARV of around 300 dollars at a festival on the Washington State coast! I only entered 3 tickets! What a shock to hear my name announced! I was thrilled!!! :cheer7:

pattipick
January 29th, 2006, 1:27pm
I plan to! LOL

Our tricky tray raffle for DD school is a 2500.00 visa gift card.
Everytime I have an extra 5.00 i buy one.

teechbiz
January 29th, 2006, 1:29pm
was a beautiful place when I was going to college at Shepherd. There was this really nice park there with swans. I can still remember taking the boys there from time to time to run loose and free. I understand the city has grown considerably since the early 90's when I was going to college.

Anyway!!!!!!!!!

If it is for a local charity I never look at it as a loss. Even if I don't walk away with a thing my community has gained. I've heard of people walking away with a car with a single ticket or even a house in a couple of cases. I've never been that lucky.

I have won a couple of drawings here and there but usually for small prizes. I am more interested in if it is actually a real organization (some organizations are actually fraudulent and you can check this out quite easily by contacting the better business bureau or even the local police department. Sometimes people fraudulently use firemen, policemen, and/or veterans to make their charity seem more real and appealing. By law you can request and receive information to tell you how much of what you give actually goes to the charity and not the organization that is raising money. For this reason I often feel better donating my time to soup kitchens or bringing food to the local humane society. I know that my gift is really going to be used for what I intend and not to further some political cause or line someone's pocket. food pantries would love for you to donate more than just at christmas and thanksgiving. They appreciate it and believe me the people who need it do also.

Good luck. I hope you win something good.

bayyore
January 29th, 2006, 1:31pm
I won 2 50/50s and a huge snowman raffle--all 3 were local things--

rdhill007
January 29th, 2006, 1:33pm
Yes,

$25.00 for a soccer league
$25.00 gift certificate for dinner

The college I went to had a "Great Escape " raffle where I won

dinner for 2 at the Rams Head Inn
a round of golf for four at the golf course in Somers Point,NJ where the McDonald's thing was played by the women's professional golfers
A one night stay at a local hotel
and there were other prizes that I cannot think of right now.

caseycupcake
January 29th, 2006, 1:37pm
Hubby won a remote controlled fire truck about 15 years ago. I was really nice, sold at Sears for $100 Funny thing was that it took sooo many batteries that we practically needed to take out a second mortgage to afford to run it! :laugh:

I also won a cedar bird feeder.

Raffles are fun. Just think of it was a donation, and if you win, that's great!

positivelift
January 29th, 2006, 1:59pm
Thank you for your replies. Nice to see some winners who, at the same time, donate to their local charities.

This particular raffle sounds exciting. Giving away 2006 Chevys, Harley Davidsons, and loads of cash including a grand prize of $100,000.

If any of you are interested, http://www.iafflocal1605.com/

I figure that I would help support their Union because both my dad and wife were born in Hagerstown. At the same time, would be nice to win something.

By the way, raffle tickets are $100

blfbrat
January 29th, 2006, 2:14pm
Our Church had their annual fund raiser and every year someone donated a Doll House, 4 years running my daughter won the Doll House. I refused to buy a ticket the 5th year, I was too embarressed.

positivelift
January 29th, 2006, 2:15pm
Our Church had their annual fund raiser and every year someone donated a Doll House, 4 years running my daughter won the Doll House. I refused to buy a ticket the 5th year, I was too embarressed.

Brenda ROFL!!!! :)

barb1210
January 29th, 2006, 2:16pm
I won at the local Fire Mens Hall annual Xmas party ( for the kids..) 2x in one party. The prizes where toys that my DD got to pick out .. There where about 100 different toys.. And my DD won 2

I have won a few at Beef and Beers

sweeps aku
January 29th, 2006, 4:59pm
Yes...but... I think they felt sorry for us & wanted to help us out by giving us the $500 Wal-Mart gift cert. I won't explain, but to everyone else it seemed a random draw but... It was years ago & I still wonder.

carina02
January 29th, 2006, 5:11pm
A local pool and spa company had a raffle: 3 tickets for $20, anywho I spent $40 and I WON a $5,000 hot tub!!! It's great to hear them call out the number on your ticket. :gvibes:

maliasmommy
January 29th, 2006, 5:11pm
I have won a few items, hats, keychains, cases of soda. Our local elementary school has an end-of-year carnival and a raffle.

dopey
January 29th, 2006, 5:17pm
Yes...but... I think they felt sorry for us & wanted to help us out by giving us the $500 Wal-Mart gift cert. I won't explain, but to everyone else it seemed a random draw but... It was years ago & I still wonder.

I think that's why I won the one and only raffle I've ever won. I got cheated out of $50 in a contest for volunteers (Headstart), and then a week later I won a Headstart raffle for a free dinner for two ($50).

I know people felt bad that I got cheated, but I don't know if they let me win the raffle on purpose or it was just karma setting things straight.

Probably have entered over 50 raffles and only won that won.

luckylady1744
January 29th, 2006, 5:17pm
Our favorite raffles are the reverse raffles for the local HS Athletic Dept. and a church nearby. We go every year to both. We've won $250, DVD/VCR combo, TV/DVD combo, health club membership, a couple of 50/50's, and lots of other things that I can't remember at the moment. We've got the church one next week, and the school one is in March. I really like these kinds of things cause it gives me a chance to have fun and do a little networking for the business while I'm at it. We always donate something from the business for them and spend about 50 to 100 bucks while we are there. One of the most fun things to do is watch the silent auctions at the church one. Got a few good deals at those too. :gvibes:
GLTA!

micky456
January 29th, 2006, 7:34pm
This makes me laugh.
When I seen this post I just had to reply.
Well first I am a volunteer Firefighter and an EMT working on my paramedic.
Anyway our department always hold a gun raffle.
Ok first im a girl and hate killing animals but with this gun raffle the top two prizes was $1500.00 and $1000.00 and with me being a women and all ohhh yeah I was buying a ticket for the money lol. So I got one for me and got one for hubby (hes the hunter). So we had two tickets and never expected to win a dang thing.
Day of drawing comes and im the person writing the winners on a large board and what they have won. Well first drawing for the 1500 was done I wasnt the winner second drawing was called for the 1000 I still wasnt the winner so I just said ok im done I dont care anymore Ill continue writing the names of winners. I was in my own little land chatting it up with people by me when I heard my name yelled, I turned around and said I was sorry I was talking and what name was it they wanted me to write, they looked at me and said my name again, I was like jeez you dont have to yell just tell me who it is, Well the laughter began, and I began to think I had some snot hanging off my nose or something. Finally my best friend walked over and said you jerk, you just won a gun. I finally got what the laugh was about. Then I asked ok I get it I won a gun now what kind of gun and how much it was worth and Ill sell it to highest bidder. Well DH was on other side of room telling me to hush up. Then I see the gun I had just won go across the room into hubbys hands. Needles to say all I can tell you about the gun is its a muzzle loader and was worth 600. Also to this day If I had my way I would sell it to highest bidder, It sits in my closet still in box all wrapped up pretty and all. DH already has one I guess. But for somereason he wont let me sell this one. lol
I also go to the turkey raffles all the local fire depts have, they are so much fun. By the end of the night I end up spending more then it would of cost me to go out and buy two turkeys. Im just helping out the Volunteer Fire Departments and having fun doing it, I know my money is going to save someones life/home.

Maddgiggler
January 29th, 2006, 8:10pm
When I was 19 I won a $50 gift certificate at a local charity event.

kimkij
January 29th, 2006, 8:28pm
I enter raffles for houses when I have the money. $100 is hard to come by but for a chance at a house? Whoot!!!

I enter raffles when the fee is low. Never won but boy oh boy - some of those prizes are sweet! Even the first, second and third, as well as the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eight prizes if they have them are really something.

With raffles, lots of the prizes are donated, which makes them nice.

Qncterra
January 29th, 2006, 8:39pm
Won the only prize in a drawing from 500 tickets - a beautiful oil painting of the Last Supper.

Miki
January 29th, 2006, 9:09pm
No, never have (at least I don't think I have)

herrinfamily
January 29th, 2006, 9:22pm
My parents won a new car with a local raffle. I have won a fox and leather coat.

mandyloo
January 29th, 2006, 9:24pm
Too many times.

PKB
January 29th, 2006, 9:31pm
I bought a $10 raffle ticket supporting our local high school's alcohol-free all-night party for seniors in June 04. I was second prize winner--1 nights lodging at Bodega Bay Lodge & Spa, and $75 for dinner for two. We had a marvelous time--this is one of our favorite places to stay on the coast.

occ1956
January 29th, 2006, 9:46pm
I worked at our local community college and they always had a raffle going for something. One young man who is a friend to my daughter came in for his volunteer fire department and they had a handmade china cabinet listed by a local artist. I jokingly told him I would buy tickets if he would pull my name out for the china cabinet. I forgot about it and they called and told me to come and pick up my cabinet, the grand prize. It is beautiful, has hand carving and one of the prized pieces of furniture in my home. I display family items from my parents and grandparents and enjoy it every day. I also won a child's picnic table from the cosmetology school which is going to be for my grandchild. I probably have bought hundreds down through the years, but all were donations to help educational organizations and elementary schools. I always feel the money is going to be used for something good!

Hope you win! All it takes is one ticket! :supstar: :supstar:

Jean in Illinois

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!"

KylesArmyWife
January 29th, 2006, 9:48pm
I won cheesecake & it was damn good.

floridamom1990
January 29th, 2006, 9:49pm
I win every year at my son's school at the band concert. Last month I won not only one but two tickets to Busch Gardens in separate drawings. All the parents were yelling "RIGGED, RIGGED!!" :laugh:

I ended up giving away my tickets to a co-worker. :gvibes: