PDA

View Full Version : It just goes to show you have to be carefull what you post.

manateematt
January 28th, 2006, 11:29pm
Or, "A Straight Arrow's Naivety".

Recently a sweep was listed for 3M Super 33+ tape. The prize was a trip to the Richard Petty Driving Experience. To enter you needed a code from a package of that particular tape. I posted a note that I was ineligible because the company I work for is a 3M distributor and that I have access to hundreds of packages of that tape. And yes, I looked. They all have the codes.

But then I had to make the oh-so-witty comment that went something like, "But for the right price...", but immediatly adding a disclaimer that I was just kidding and that I didn't think it would be legitimate to do something like that.

Lo and behold, a few days later I got a PM from a sweeper I will not name, but by virtue of almost 6,000 posts is a senior master sweeper, asking me if I would sell her some codes.

I replied that I thought that would be wrong on many levels and could not help her. And that if it were 4 years ago when I was still a drinking man (I'm in recovery), that the story would probably be different.

Still, I had to shake my head and kick myself for thinking that everyone would feel the way I do.

Not that I feel I have to justify myself (okay, maybe just a little), but here are my eithics and thoughts:

1. I do not cheat.

2. If I can't answer a survey honestly and knowledgably, I won't enter. ("What did you think of the articles on our website?" How the hell should I know, I'm here for the sweeps. I don't really care about your website. Or; I guess I'll have to skip trying to win that iPod because I really don't read Burmese Rug Weaving Quarterly and I don't play the Dulcimer nor do I know anybody who does.)

3. If it says one time per person, that's it. I don't enter with 8 different email addresses, variations on my name and address that I know my mailman will get to me anyway.

4. Aw, c'mon, who's gonna know? ME. The guy in the mirror.

5. I haven't seen a prize yet that will make me happy for the rest of my life. That comes from within and that's my own responsibility.

6. I understand that sometimes priorities get lost. Something I know alot about from my past.

7. Winning is fun, but these just THINGS.

8. Wait a minute, I will sell you the codes. $1,000,000 each. Every man has his price.

Sorry if this turned into kind of a rant, but I needed to share it.

mm

jesslag
January 28th, 2006, 11:31pm
:gvibes: :gvibes:

bigskwinner
January 28th, 2006, 11:36pm
ahh see that is why in canada there is the law of the no purchase entry....gotta love that, makes it fair and square to every person out there

KylesArmyWife
January 28th, 2006, 11:37pm
Go ahead, rant all ya want! :gvibes:

maltiemom
January 28th, 2006, 11:39pm
I actually recall that post (I have an elephant-like memory). I'm glad you play fair, the extremes that people will go to for a win really sucks

Rookiesmom
January 28th, 2006, 11:41pm
You comments were thoughtful Matt, glad to listen and you are right they are just things and being able to look yourself in the mirror and know you've told the truth and maintained your integrity is priceless! :cool2:

bkstar
January 28th, 2006, 11:43pm
:gvibes: :gvibes:

awesome its nice to see honesty!!!

Bk

Oreo107
January 28th, 2006, 11:48pm
Thanks for keeping your ethics. I admire your resolve to play fair.

Jerrysgirl
January 28th, 2006, 11:52pm
I actually recall that post (I have an elephant-like memory). I'm glad you play fair, the extremes that people will go to for a win really sucks
I SECOND that :clap: Stay true to yourself, you can never go to wrong! Congrats on your sobriety!! :gvibes:

rocksea_lady
January 28th, 2006, 11:53pm
I applaud your honesty and your sobriety. Doing the right thing can be very hard some days! I was a teachers assistant in college. It was my job, I was labeled a brown nose because I refused to take money to overlook wrong answers when I graded papers. I went to a college that had a lot of very wealthy people. I decided if I took money it defined me as a ho and the price for my services. It was hard to turn down the money some days when I really needed it.

bboopkaren
January 28th, 2006, 11:54pm
Good for you........I am proud of you for being who you are, Honest.
:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

alis_mom
January 28th, 2006, 11:59pm
:clap: Good for you! :clap:

FreakDuJour
January 29th, 2006, 12:00am
Good Karma for you :gvibes:

LifeIsBeautiful
January 29th, 2006, 12:01am
Very refreshing! I am glad you decided to vent. Congrats on your sobriety! :gvibes:

gcomstock
January 29th, 2006, 12:03am
No shame, no blame. :gvibes:

feta
January 29th, 2006, 12:05am
he he 6,000 posts wonder who that would that be, ah nevermind ... lol

mcclave
January 29th, 2006, 12:18am
8. Wait a minute, I will sell you the codes. $1,000,000 each. Every man has his price.

Question is ...... if someone had a million to give you would you take it? We are all human and all do things for different reasons. Some folks are just now learning lessons that you have learned long ago!

I think it is important that we not deem ourselves better than others cause we are a certain way but love each other in spite of our faults and missgivings! I mean who cares afterall they are " Just Things "

jafarhie
January 29th, 2006, 12:24am
Whew, good thing I am not close to 6000 posts. I wouldn't want the sweep police wondering if I was the ONE. :laugh:

OKgirl
January 29th, 2006, 12:27am
good for you :)

dark_zino
January 29th, 2006, 12:33am
Just wanted to say congrats on your sobriety. Take care. :gvibes:

Miki
January 29th, 2006, 12:48am
Your a good person!

alisha5024
January 29th, 2006, 1:49am
good for you. :gvibes:

JustGina
January 29th, 2006, 2:04am
That's cool stick to your guns! :gvibes:

gayle777
January 29th, 2006, 2:09am
Honesty does pay off. It pays off in better sleep, better feelings of self-worth and a better image to all who know you. Things don't last. They wear out and get thrown out. Our self image stays with us until the day we die. Our identity as honest people stays with us too.

As for the OP saying he would sell each code for $1,000,000, he wouldn't. But he probably would sell you a million dollars of tape for $1,000,000. Think of all the codes a person would have! He probably would get an honest commission on the sale. Just think of the UPS truck coming with $1,000,000 in tape! Think of the scotch tape yard sale a person could have after they removed the codes. A person could maybe get $10,000 back from the yard sale and if they had really bad luck, they 'd probably only win a prize worth $25. Personally, I don't enter any contests that I can't enter honestly. I wouldn't want to feel I cheated someone else out of a prize. Good luck to all honest sweepers! And bad luck to all who cheat!

ukerin
January 29th, 2006, 2:17am
Amen, Gayle777!

TrinaWants2Win
January 29th, 2006, 2:25am
good for you! and shame on the person that asked you that!

tupik3702
January 29th, 2006, 2:28am
honest people keeping dishonet people honest! :sherlock:

sparkleygem
January 29th, 2006, 2:29am
You didn't have to announce what I said. It's called a PRIVATE message for a reason. :frown3:

sparkleygem
kidding. he he :laugh: Sorry, I'm in one of those moods today.

Bigfootsmother
Whew, good thing I am not close to 6000 posts. I wouldn't want the sweep police wondering if I was the ONE. :laugh:

Ditto :laugh:

RandomHelena
January 29th, 2006, 2:34am
Good For You! :gvibes:

reveilletx
January 29th, 2006, 3:35am
I did not see your original post. Good job though! I am glad to see you are in recovery and seems from your post you are workin the program. I wish you much success!

bayyore
January 29th, 2006, 9:21am
:hugs: You did the right thing

BethieB
January 29th, 2006, 9:39am
You're a very noble man.

Oh, my aunt and cousin play the Dulcimer, so if you see any contest for them, let me know and I'll send them their way. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ohtiger
January 29th, 2006, 9:39am
:hugs: You did the right thing
Ditto.

CathyVeester
January 29th, 2006, 9:47am
I really enjoyed reading what you had to say.

Very fine perspective.

And I am sorry you had that experience with someone here.

oxnail
January 29th, 2006, 9:54am
Or, "A Straight Arrow's Naivety".

Recently a sweep was listed for 3M Super 33+ tape. The prize was a trip to the Richard Petty Driving Experience. To enter you needed a code from a package of that particular tape. I posted a note that I was ineligible because the company I work for is a 3M distributor and that I have access to hundreds of packages of that tape. And yes, I looked. They all have the codes.

But then I had to make the oh-so-witty comment that went something like, "But for the right price...", but immediatly adding a disclaimer that I was just kidding and that I didn't think it would be legitimate to do something like that.

Lo and behold, a few days later I got a PM from a sweeper I will not name, but by virtue of almost 6,000 posts is a senior master sweeper, asking me if I would sell her some codes.

I replied that I thought that would be wrong on many levels and could not help her. And that if it were 4 years ago when I was still a drinking man (I'm in recovery), that the story would probably be different.

Still, I had to shake my head and kick myself for thinking that everyone would feel the way I do.

Not that I feel I have to justify myself (okay, maybe just a little), but here are my eithics and thoughts:

1. I do not cheat.

2. If I can't answer a survey honestly and knowledgably, I won't enter. ("What did you think of the articles on our website?" How the hell should I know, I'm here for the sweeps. I don't really care about your website. Or; I guess I'll have to skip trying to win that iPod because I really don't read Burmese Rug Weaving Quarterly and I don't play the Dulcimer nor do I know anybody who does.)

3. If it says one time per person, that's it. I don't enter with 8 different email addresses, variations on my name and address that I know my mailman will get to me anyway.

4. Aw, c'mon, who's gonna know? ME. The guy in the mirror.

5. I haven't seen a prize yet that will make me happy for the rest of my life. That comes from within and that's my own responsibility.

6. I understand that sometimes priorities get lost. Something I know alot about from my past.

7. Winning is fun, but these just THINGS.

Sorry if this turned into kind of a rant, but I needed to share it.

mm

Stick to your values.

debi6393
January 29th, 2006, 9:55am
:gvibes: All I can say is; I AM PROUD OF YOU :grouphug:
I too remember the post and my first thought was , someone is going to try and get some off of that person :frown3:
So stick to your values and take one day at a time and go on and have a fabulous life :gvibes:
And I really do hope you have many Wins
Debi

sottovoce
January 29th, 2006, 10:03am
There are some people who will go to any extent to win. I noticed you are relatively new to our OLS family Matt, I have been here long enough so very little surprises me. :worry: ....but most of the people here are good, kind, honest, and caring. I enjoy those wonderful people and simply chuckle at the rest. :) I recently won a rather large grand prize. When I posted my win in the "Hall of Fame" (I usually don't post wins.) I included info on how I won....by following ALL the rules. I hope to see you there soon and wish you the best of luck in your sweeping and life. :gvibes: :gvibes: :gvibes:

legaleagle
January 29th, 2006, 10:04am
For some, winning is everything. For others, it is how you play the game. Sorry that someone wanted to take such an unethical shortcut but I guess it takes all kinds.

:rolleyes:

Trix
January 29th, 2006, 10:04am
Very well expressed and completely admirable. I salute you, sir.

:royal: <------- You :)

GreenMountainBoy
January 29th, 2006, 10:05am
I wont and dont judge anyone.
you did the right thing!

stah
January 29th, 2006, 10:06am
My sister worked at a place that was responsible for printing the codes and inserting them into the packages. I asked her how they handled people stealing the codes one day. She told me that if it did happen they would sooner or later find the culprit and they would lose their job. There are many things that just aren't worth doing, and code theft is one of them. It's not worth the ultimate price....and hey, who wants to have "Code thief" on their resume? LOL
You did the right thing.
And SHAME on the person who asked you!

bcaps10
January 29th, 2006, 10:07am
Congrats and Congrats! yes! I read the post! :laugh: Congrats on sticking to your values and ethics, and a great big Congrat on your sobriety.

Cara

Styflan
January 29th, 2006, 10:07am
Very insightful post. You have high moral standards and should be proud of yourself. It's a better world because of people like you. :highfive: :gvibes:

CathyVeester
January 29th, 2006, 10:11am
My sister worked at a place that was responsible for printing the codes and inserting them into the packages. I asked her how they handled people stealing the codes one day. She told me that if it did happen they would sooner or later find the culprit and they would lose their job. There are many things that just aren't worth doing, and code theft is one of them.
It's not worth the ultimate price....and hey, who wants to have "Code thief" on their resume? LOL
You did the right thing.
And SHAME on the person who asked you!

:laugh:

Seriously, I wonder if the 'thieves' could be arrested/prosecuted for that type of action?

msmaureenv
January 29th, 2006, 10:12am
I can't believe someone did that :worry:

Zagnut444
January 29th, 2006, 10:14am

Seriously, I wonder if the 'thieves' could be arrested/prosecuted for that type of action?
Didn't that happen with that McDonald's game some years ago? I can't remember the details but I thought the employees had been stealing the winning codes or something, what did they get? fired/fined/jail?

medictom
January 29th, 2006, 10:15am
Stands up in the back and claps.... :clap: :clap:

quiltfisher
January 29th, 2006, 10:15am
Very well written, very well said. I value honesty and integrity above all else.

You've also come a long way in your recovery, a journey with many pitfalls and treacherous turns. Well done and may tomorrow bring you one more day closer to full inner peace.

bambi4
January 29th, 2006, 10:21am
Sometimes You Just Have To Take A Stand For What You Believe.

barbs
January 29th, 2006, 10:39am
I'm glad you did the right thing -

BUT:

...from another perspective, the sweeper who offered to buy the codes thought that your "Just kidding" was only a "cover your a$$" sort of comment & believed it was just a fishing expedition.. Some people do that

So, you are very correct to say "Be careful of what you post". 'cuz that experience could be considered to be a small part of your own fault. I said a SMALL part (for those of you who want to jump on me for this).

I too, am disgusted by the length some people will go to to get things for free.

Junebug03
January 29th, 2006, 10:54am
he he 6,000 posts wonder who that would that be, ah nevermind ... lol
Now feta..what are you up tohttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/junebug03/3004435i.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/junebug03/thumbs_up_thumb.gifmanateematt on your honesty and sobriety!!! :gvibes:

DoveBran
January 29th, 2006, 11:04am
Good comments. I remember that post and I took it for what it was, kidding around. I can't believe someone would have took your seriously.

dbuske
January 29th, 2006, 11:15am
The Mcdonalds thing is the company McDonald's hired to handle the contests was declaring friends and family members as winners. This went on for years before they got caught.

jolee62
January 29th, 2006, 11:29am
Good for you sticking to your morals! :toot:

positivelift
January 29th, 2006, 11:34am
A good read! Thanks for sharing.

TDAWG
January 29th, 2006, 11:35am
:gvibes: I remember your post in the Notes for that sweep and, even then, thought - great will power, not to mention ethics! Be proud of your ethics and sobriety - two great assets that no one can take away from you - not even for $1,000,000... :gvibes:

Glam
January 29th, 2006, 11:38am
Morals, sobriety, yadda yadda yadda....I just wanna know who PMd ya! :sherlock:

Just kidding.
Congrats
:gvibes:

maltiemom
January 29th, 2006, 12:12pm
Morals, sobriety, yadda yadda yadda....I just wanna know who PMd ya! :sherlock:

Yanno, I was just thinking. It would really make things interesting if the guilty party came to this thread and started trying to defend him/herself. Okay, okay, that's my inner drama-queen speaking, but it still would shake things up, KWIM?

CathyVeester
January 29th, 2006, 12:14pm
The Mcdonalds thing is the company McDonald's hired to handle the contests was declaring friends and family members as winners. This went on for years before they got caught.

Why do I have a feeling that sort of thing happens more often than one might think with some of the sponsors who handle their own promotions and some minor JAs?

:frown3:

Jennybugz
January 29th, 2006, 12:25pm
I have always found, too, that when you talk to someone in person they don't take everything so literally when shootin' the breeze, but when on the internet they will take every word literally and believe everything they read. maybe that is why so many fall for internet
'dating' so easily. how you can trust a stranger on the computer enough to meet them in a private place one day I will never understand. Would you just take someone off the street in front of your home, and invite them in and tell them all about yourself then jump in the sack?? well, maybe some crazies out there would, but I feel better now that I have raved and ranted and now I can have some tea. have a great day everyone (I really MEAN that part). :)

Maddgiggler
January 29th, 2006, 1:05pm
Mm,

It's too bad you have to post another forum to justify yourself. J/K is J/K....and the only fault of yours is that you have a SENSE OF HUMOR!!

The worst is that, unless I looked up the wrong electrical tape, it costs less than $4 for that person to get his/her own code.

Regardless, I do believe that in the end Karma will decide who the winner is.

Good for you for standing up for your morals and not cheating your employer.

TrueBrunette
January 29th, 2006, 1:20pm
:gvibes: I remember your post in the Notes for that sweep and, even then, thought - great will power, not to mention ethics! Be proud of your ethics and sobriety - two great assets that no one can take away from you - not even for $1,000,000... :gvibes:

I could not have said this better. You have much to be proud of! :gvibes:

alittlefreedm
January 29th, 2006, 1:21pm
Now there's something that's rare.. integrity. I really mean that. Congrats on your journey. Now why can't I find a guy like that? :gvibes:

The thorn in my side during the XBOX 360/Mountain Dew contest was the fact that EVERYDAY during the promotion I went to my TWO local 7-11's looking for 12 pack codes. I watched one day that right on schedule the signs went up advertising the promotion, every day I asked the clerks if they had the codes, yet every day they said no. PLUS about ten of the codes I did have out of almost 200 were already used. Were people cracking codes?

Take three guesses where the codes went and yours will be as good as mine. I should have called and complained, but I never did.

Stealing/selling/buying codes and cheating in general takes away from the very people the companies are trying to reach. I just don't understand why people on this board obsess about it so much (and I'm not refering to Matt's post here, just a few of the responses). Sometimes I think A FEW people on this board feel entitled to thier wins, which I'm sure the cheaters feel they are entitled to even more. Dunno about any one else, but I am GRATEFUL for every win and still amazed that out of thousands of people that enter, sometimes they pick MY NAME, now how COOL IS THAT?!

Or maybe I just haven't been sweeping long enough for it to bother me too.

As for the others and what they do, it's out of my hands. I can't control others bad behavior, none of us can. Your rant is justified, but in your anger you sought to "punish" the other person by partially outing them. That's just my unsolicited opinion, but is that the right thing to do?

JANNET168
January 29th, 2006, 1:30pm
Shame On To That Person!

mcclave
January 29th, 2006, 1:31pm
Hmmmm, soooo tell me can you get me some of the tape at a discount? :laugh: J/K

samandsandy
January 29th, 2006, 1:41pm
If I wasn't in love with same kind of man I would ask you out
stick to your guns your awesome

AutumnComforts
January 29th, 2006, 1:49pm
BRAVO! It sure is refreshing to see that there really are still folks besides me who hold integrity sacred. Thank you, and bravo! :gvibes:

pebbles
January 29th, 2006, 2:08pm
:clap: :clap: :clap: :gvibes:

deelytful1
January 29th, 2006, 2:12pm
I'm sure your higher power is very proud of you!! I totally agree. I wouldn't sell my soul to the devil for ANY price.

deelytful1
January 29th, 2006, 2:16pm
I watched one day that right on schedule the signs went up advertising the promotion, every day I asked the clerks if they had the codes, yet every day they said no. PLUS about ten of the codes I did have out of almost 200 were already used. Were people cracking codes?

I'm sure if cheaters can buy programs (or create them) to access your passwords and personal data, one can surely be created to crack a few codes..Unfortunately.

Noggy
January 29th, 2006, 2:36pm
WOW! There's a lot of sweeps I would really like to win..but paying somebody for codes or anything else to up my chances doesn't seem too smart.

I can't see what's the percentage in buying codes if you have other people out there entering codes as well?

bigskwinner
January 29th, 2006, 2:40pm
I'm sure if cheaters can buy programs (or create them) to access your passwords and personal data, one can surely be created to crack a few codes..Unfortunately.

yes that is why with the no purchase entry for the icoke thing you have to answer 24 questions and they are randomized each time PLUS you ahve to enter in that smeared numberletter combo

Ishy
January 29th, 2006, 2:50pm
I have to say :cheer7: THANK YOU :cheer7: !!!

On so many levels, Thank You.

eileenfar
January 29th, 2006, 3:05pm
I notice there isn't but one 6,000-range OLS poster in this thread. If I were in the 6,000nds I wouldn't dare, no matter how straight arrow I was.

Good man. You gotta live with YOU, nobody else.

ksmith47
January 29th, 2006, 3:15pm
Mm,

It's too bad you have to post another forum to justify yourself. J/K is J/K....and the only fault of yours is that you have a SENSE OF HUMOR!!

The worst is that, unless I looked up the wrong electrical tape, it costs less than $4 for that person to get his/her own code.

Regardless, I do believe that in the end Karma will decide who the winner is.

Good for you for standing up for your morals and not cheating your employer.

That's what I find funny - they could have went out and bought some tape with the code in the package - it's not like tape spoils or goes to waste! It will be used eventually. :laugh:

Thanks for being who you are. Some days I think it's hard to find an honest person. :gvibes:

ps - You guys make duct tape? :laugh:

Jolly720
January 29th, 2006, 3:16pm
Good for you, you did the right thing. :gvibes: :gvibes: :gvibes:

alittlefreedm
January 29th, 2006, 3:42pm
As for the others and what they do, it's out of my hands. I can't control others bad behavior, none of us can. Your rant is justified, but in your anger you sought to "punish" the other person by partially outing them. That's just my unsolicited opinion, but is that the right thing to do?

I thought a little more about this, and maybe it IS the right thing to do, otherwise how do you teach others between right and wrong (especially someone you don't personally know)?
But what do I know.

I don't know.

I'm so torn. lol

Star2Nite
January 29th, 2006, 4:32pm
:highfive: Good values!

smyle
January 29th, 2006, 5:03pm
What goes around comes around.....Karma......It does shows there are still good people in the world. :cheer7: Thank you for being one of those. :gvibes:

jenninshelby
January 29th, 2006, 8:43pm
kidding. he he :laugh: Sorry, I'm in one of those moods today.

I had to re-read that other post three times and think she cannot be serious. Not Sparkley! :laugh:

sparkleygem
January 29th, 2006, 8:57pm
I had to re-read that other post three times and think she cannot be serious. Not Sparkley! :laugh:
:laugh: Well, I'm glad you scrolled down finally. :laugh:

manateematt
January 29th, 2006, 9:57pm
But, like alittlefreedm, I am also a little torn that I gave any details about the person who contacted me.

That person, with so many posts, is obviously very involved with the forums and would certainly see my post. Plus it was unfair to sow any suspicion amongst this very wonderful band of OLS fellows. It was a little bit of vindictivness on my part. I apologize.

And I will not 'out' this person. I would tell a moderator if they asked, but they have not.
Time to let it go.

Ah, well. Progress, not perfection.

mm
FOB

Your brain is always trying to make sense out of the world.
Unfortunately, the world doesn't always make sense.
Therefore, your brain is often wrong.

Janir
January 29th, 2006, 10:44pm
Why do I have a feeling that sort of thing happens more often than one might think with some of the sponsors who handle their own promotions and some minor JAs?

YUP! I remember once back in the days that we Californians could enter liquor sweeps, one of our beer merchandising reps was giving hundreds of codes to his GF, who was in turn selling them in bulk to others. And he was BRAGGING about it!

alittlefreedm
January 29th, 2006, 11:35pm
I was just reading the lead investigator's affidavit from the McDonald's fiasco in 2001.

All I can say is WOW! Here's what I learned:

"Uncle Jerry" was stealing game pieces for about a decade before someone anonymously
turned him in. TEN YEARS!! Over 50 people got indited, MILLIONS were basically stolen, and 5 of the winning checks for several of those years actually went to THE SAME ADDRESS in Florida!

10 years and many many accomplices, ONE person ends it all.

"Uncle Jerry" only got 3 years.

Guess the guy saved some cash for his legal fund. Sheesh. Wonder if even Burger King would hire him now. :laugh:

What was my point anyways? Cheaters never prosper? nope, that's not it. They'll catch them eventually? After ten years? yeah right, so that's not it. Oh yeah, I got it... Here's a HUGE company spilling millions and millions into their promotions, this guy and friends steal millions and NO ONE NOTICED!

sandyy456
January 29th, 2006, 11:43pm
Don't blame you at all Matt! :clap:

rettak
January 30th, 2006, 12:06am
I think I'm in love,just don't tell my DH :laugh:,I fill just like that so you can rant all you want.I will not enter for things I really don't want now that doesn't mean I haven't gotten things that I don't want because sometimes I'm going for the main prize or one of the small ones,those I sometimes give to my mailcarrier she so deserves it, trade or auction off,but that is rare.Way to go :bow: :bow:

IwannaWin2
January 30th, 2006, 12:32am

I shop mostly in Military stores, and they will either make you pay, or have the MP's lead you out of the FRONT door if you refuse to do so and charge you with shoplifting.

The crime, you ask?

Opening packages and not buying.
Kids opening packages, parents putting the stuff back on the shelf, etc.

I would be scared to death to even take a code thingy off a package.

Some Military Installations have MP's patrol all stores on post.

The thing that "triggered" all that: some kids opening package after package of baseball cards, snooping through the cards, throwing the open package back on the shelf.
When the store employees noticed that, they asked the parents to pay for the merchandise. The parents refused, were handcuffed, lead out of the FRONT door (so everyone could see them), and charged with shoplifting.

Every Military Base has their own little weekly paper, and I know that Ft. Benning has the name, rank and a picture of the weekly shoplifters in it.
Even if the Military members "dependant" committed the "crime", the active duty member is still responsible for their actions.

So, to sum it up, if regular stores would "adopt" the same policy, maybe we all could find the promo packages with intact codes on, LOL.

not_again
January 30th, 2006, 12:59am
I usually get winning codes at the exchange. (The exchange is a military store.)J/K Well one anyway. I mean I bought something at the exchange and used the code.

Lanne
January 30th, 2006, 1:27am
I'm pretty sure that you can get 'free' codes for this one if you send a SASE..... although it will cost 78 cents for the stamps.

MrsM
January 30th, 2006, 1:36am
You did the right thing! Being sober and honest is the best!!!

Valwhite1972
January 30th, 2006, 10:44am
There are things you cannot control in life -- example: circumstances, other people, other people's choices, etc; however, the one thing you can control is yourself. I often tell others this very same thing when they get frustrated with circumstance or other people. You have to be able to live with your choices and who you are as a person. Good for you!

tanz5
January 30th, 2006, 11:02am
Glad to hear ! ! ! :smile11:

IndianPrincess
May 15th, 2006, 3:07am
No shame, no blame. :gvibes:
:clap: :clap: Excatly!!

feta
May 15th, 2006, 3:59am
who was it? LOL Inquiry minds want to know :smile9:

gemini lion
May 15th, 2006, 4:02am