PDA

View Full Version : Another question on how to enter contests

pittypatty
January 28th, 2006, 1:03pm
Ok, I have been reading all the posts on whats the best way to enter sweeps to win. Whether it's to enter directly from here, to bookmark then enter or to go to homepage, then enter. Here's my ???, if you go to the homepage first, then from there to the actual contest, that would cancel out OLS as being the referrers site, right ? Wouldn't that be like bookmarking the contest ? :sherlock:

Rokki
January 28th, 2006, 1:49pm
When you access a webpage through a link in a page it shows a referrer. So if you go to a contest entry form page from the contest sponsors home page, it will show their homepage as the referrer.

When you access a page from a bookmark, there isnt a referrering site, because you are going directly from your computer.

pittypatty
January 28th, 2006, 1:59pm
So either two ways would be the same basically ?

AngieE
January 28th, 2006, 2:13pm
When you access a webpage through a link in a page it shows a referrer. So if you go to a contest entry form page from the contest sponsors home page, it will show their homepage as the referrer.

When you access a page from a bookmark, there isnt a referrering site, because you are going directly from your computer.

So, then if a person is going to enter through a link on the OLS page it would be best to go through the "home page" link rather than the "entry form" link or the other link at the top of the listed sweep??

Thank you!

Rokki
January 28th, 2006, 5:16pm
So either two ways would be the same basically ?

Well if you use a bookmark

Referring URL [no referrer] It looks like that. Which means you did not come to the site from another site.

If you use the homepage it will look like this

Referring URL [www,,,the homepage url will show here]

You cannot use shazam with those procedures however. So without any evidence that sponsors disqualify based on referring url, I prefer to use shazam and save the time.

You can set up your firefox browser to hide the referrer, and still use shazam, by taking these steps at this link if you want.

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215087

margarita_mama
January 28th, 2006, 5:25pm
I just posed a question in another thread in the "support and Feedback" forum as to why SHAZAM can not be set up to open up the homepage instead of the entry page.
No one has responded to it yet.

AngieE
January 28th, 2006, 5:43pm
Thank you that explains a lot.
If you use the entry link what will it show as the referrer?
Thank you

margarita_mama
January 28th, 2006, 5:47pm
Thank you that explains a lot.
If you use the entry link what will it show as the referrer?
Thank you

it will show OLS as the referrer, because you click on the link from OLS

JACK SPARROW
January 28th, 2006, 6:08pm
why are you asking silly questions?!! you've been a member here for a long time and have thousands of posts. You act like your new or something? :worry:

RachMPH
January 28th, 2006, 6:30pm
One could easily be a long time sweeper and have no clue about the details of referring sites, which is what the OP asked about.

Not silly at all.

Rokki
January 28th, 2006, 6:45pm
I just posed a question in another thread in the "support and Feedback" forum as to why SHAZAM can not be set up to open up the homepage instead of the entry page.
No one has responded to it yet.

That entered my mind once. It would be neat to have a choice under sweep options of setting the shazam to entry link or home page link.

JACK SPARROW
January 28th, 2006, 6:52pm
One could easily be a long time sweeper and have no clue about the details of referring sites, which is what the OP asked about.

Not silly at all.
oh, ok. i guess you're right.

topgun
January 28th, 2006, 7:18pm
why are you asking silly questions?!! you've been a member here for a long time and have thousands of posts. You act like your new or something? :worry:

I've been a member here for a very long time, and I still have no idea how folks get the pictures and smilies and crap in their posts.