PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on how to get a prize won over 2 years ago

The Seahorse Lady
January 27th, 2006, 1:32pm
I am so frustrated right now and am ready to call every paper, tv stations, blast all over the internet, etc. I "won" a one year membership to www.lifepratice.com Online Wellness Pprogram (ARV $180) and was notified January 2004. the contest ended on 12-31-03 and was called "MediGuide America's Trip of a Lifetime Sweepstakes". By the way, this email link no longer exists.
I have no less than 30 emails back and forth from eprize and myself. I normally would get NO response from eprize.
Finally they sent me an email stating that they contacted the sponsor and I was correct, the membership had not been activitated yet and they would resend the information. I had already moved from FL to LA so I wrote back to eprize advising of my new address. They confirmed that they sent the info on to the sponsor.
My last email to eprize was sent on 1/19/06 and it was fairly strong (not real nice). I stated that I have been more than patient for over 2 years now but enough is enough. I event old them that I understood that since so much time has passed that the prize was not available and would be satisfied with a substitute prize of equal value, if necessary. Still no reply. So, 2 days ago, I wrote again and asked them to at least let me know if someone had received and/or read my emails. Still no response. :mad2: :mad2:

At this point, it's not about the prize. It's about honesty and integrity and doing what one says that they will do.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm so angry at the lack of caring or response from eprize. I have never had any problems receiving many other prizes from them and they are supposed to be so reputable and blah, blah, blah.

Could use some help or advise. Thanks much!

sallykay
January 27th, 2006, 1:36pm
My advice is : Forget it and move on. You have wasted more than $180 worth of time and energy in continuing to persue this.

pickle_breath
January 27th, 2006, 1:39pm
I absolutely do not think simply forgetting about it and moving on is the answer. You're right, it's about the principle at this point. It's just not right, and they shouldn't be allowed to ignore you. You won fair and square, were promised a prize, and it never came... that is not excusable, at least not to me. Is there a way you can contact a media source that would take interest in a "little guy vs big guy" story?

The Seahorse Lady
January 27th, 2006, 1:43pm
My advice is : Forget it and move on. You have wasted more than $180 worth of time and energy in continuing to persue this.

You are correct - however, it's not about the prize or money. It's about integrity and the principal of the patter.

tiffnat
January 27th, 2006, 1:44pm
I have had several prizes that I never received, after alot of frustration, letters...I say forget about it-something better is to come your way.

mytrn2wn12
January 27th, 2006, 1:47pm
After this much time has passed, I'd move on. Not worth the aggravation and headaches.

venus_de_milo
January 27th, 2006, 1:49pm
If you're interested in pursuing it, I would definitely quit emailing and try making a phone call to ePrize. Emails are too easy to ignore.

sallykay
January 27th, 2006, 1:49pm
You are correct - however, it's not about the prize or money. It's about integrity and the principal of the patter.

Yes, I hear that, but in my business I hear a lot about "the principle of the thing". Of course with me, when I tell them they have to put up or shut up, they usually shut up. The principle becomes less important if they have to pay for it up front. :laugh:

kia1971
January 27th, 2006, 1:58pm

I was going to say the same thing. I have had prizes in the past that I never got, and I just let it go, because if not, you'll make yourself crazy. Also, I look at it like this: It's not like i paid for a service I did not receive. Anyway, I hope it gets resolved in a way that is satisfactory for YOU!
Good Luck

AmberMoon
January 27th, 2006, 2:00pm
have you called eprize and spoke to someone in person, usually that will go further then a email which can get pushed back or in the empty folder rather quickly. also call the sponsor on the phone. if still no resolve send a certified letter to both with signature, then still no help contact everyone and anyone to help

Cinz
January 27th, 2006, 2:02pm
I also think you should move on...

Glitterspyro
January 27th, 2006, 2:03pm
I'm sorry this happened! If you owed them money would they forget it? I think not! :frown3:

TNrina
January 27th, 2006, 2:03pm
If you are that adamant about persuing this I would stop wasting my time with EPrize. They have done what they can. Now it's time to start calling Life Practice.

http://www.lifepractice.com/

USPS mailing address:

The Teamwork Company, LLC
110 Old Padonia Road, Suite LB
Cockeysville, Maryland 21030

Phone: 410.453.6200
Fax: 410.453.6205

Jim Grube, President

willows00
January 27th, 2006, 2:04pm
this has happened to me on a number of prizes (none that were big enough for me to pursue that diligently). but i just moved on b/c i don't think emails really help after a certain point and all it does it cause you aggravation with the same result... NO RESULT!

Sextant
January 27th, 2006, 2:07pm
Or call ePrize and ask for the person by name that you have been e-mailing.

Babygirl2
January 27th, 2006, 2:09pm
I dont have any advice b/c I have not been where you are before. Not sure how I would handle it. I guess if it was something I really wanted, I would pursue it.

I wish you the best of luck.
Michele

kelcarib
January 27th, 2006, 2:10pm
breath in....breath out.....move on......

The Seahorse Lady
January 27th, 2006, 2:12pm
have you called eprize and spoke to someone in person, usually that will go further then a email which can get pushed back or in the empty folder rather quickly. also call the sponsor on the phone. if still no resolve send a certified letter to both with signature, then still no help contact everyone and anyone to help

I've called eprize 3 times and was only able to leave a message and never got a return call. I also called the sponsor and asked for the director of marketing and just got his voice mail and left him a message, and never got a call back. If anyone has someone's direct number to a real person at eprize, I would appreciate it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. :gvibes: :gvibes:

wackydackydoo
January 27th, 2006, 2:14pm
Email Arnold Diaz of "Shame On You", and tell them your story. Maybe, if your lucky they'll do your story on their show.

cbs2shame@cbs.com

If enough people who had problems with eprize or any sponsor emailed them, it would be more likely for them to pick up the story.

pambanter
January 27th, 2006, 2:18pm
No, I absolutely do NOT agree that it is time to move on. I think you should, dispassionately and detachedly, continue to nag their ba&&s off until you get what, by law, is yours.

I would not spend any MONEY on this. But I would call (my long distance is free) corporate heads, email government agencies, etc.

Like one poster said, if you owed THEM 185 dollars, it sure the heck wouldnt be 185 dollars any more!

These guys got their 185 dollars of advertising and promotion. You BET ePrize got THEIR 185 dollars.

You know, I am really interested in who IS legally responsible when a sponsor bunks. Is it the JA, or who?

I would not let this raise my blood pressure, but I would not quit.

tupik3702
January 27th, 2006, 2:24pm
Sounds like you need to go over people heads. Contact whomever you spoke with originally and find out whos their boss. Contact the company directly!!! The longest I waited was alittle over 6 mos. and that was for a really biggy. I actually had to get on the telephone and tract down people and my win. If I would have stayed on the sideline, I would have still been waiting. You need to do a little PI work and tract down the heads of the companies that you're dealing with. Dealing with PEEONS will get you no where! If needed, get an attorney to write you a letter request an immediate response. WE DEMAND SATASFACTION or else the world will know exactly what kind of operation you are!!!! Always remember this " THE SQUEAKY WHEEL ALWAYS GETS THE OIL"! Do it NOW! and keep us abreast of your situation. GOOD LUCK! :sherlock:

bdc63
January 27th, 2006, 2:31pm
I fall on the side of the "forget about it and move on" camp.

sallykay
January 27th, 2006, 2:32pm
Tupik, by the time I wrote a letter for someone with this problem, it would have cost them more than they supposedly won. I would tell them to take that money and pretend it was their prize. :worry:

eileenfar
January 27th, 2006, 2:57pm
It sounds like an unfortunate number of people subscribe to the theory that stealing a small amount from a large number of people is an acceptable business practice. If that were the case, there would be very little need for state attorney generals or federal trade commissions.

However the time has altogether come to an end for emails. I am not suggesting you make pursuit of this your life's mission but a carefully worded letter or two may do wonders.

If you are so disposed, it might be worthwhile to send ONE letter to two organizations:

1. ePrize corp: Josh Linkner, CEO, ePrize, LLC, One ePrize Drive, Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069
2. Jim Grube, President (at the address you now have for him from TNrina's post)

giving them a very limited time to settle this two year old matter.

THEN, the day after that limited time (or now if you do not want to do a letter though I strongly urge you to do one) a formal complaint [do the narrative part in draft first and make it fit all three so you only have to do ONE] to:

1. Maryland Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division:
http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/complaint.htm
2. Michigan Department of Attorney General. Consumer Protection Division:
http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-17331-42077--,00.html
3. Federal Trade Commission:
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

IF you believe (against all the evidence) this is a legitimate company, you may want to first try the "persuasive" effort of the membership organization, Better Business Bureau:
http://complaint.bbb.org/

Please do not pay the slightest attention to hysterical handwringing laments to the effect that the sweeps gods must be appeased regardless of whatever wrongs are committed against you or wild claims that all sweepstakes will cease if you pursue it. In point of fact, sweepstakes are not a gift from Divine Providence; they are a form of advertising promotion and they are regulated by law for that reason. Those laws exist [B]because it is not feasible for individuals to legally pursue the small individual sums usually involved in advertising schemes/scams/misrepresentations and sweeps-promotions like this. What is more, these companies universally charge off their advertising and promotion expenses on their taxes as legitimate business expenses - something they darn sure had better BE.

Good luck to you.

The Seahorse Lady
January 27th, 2006, 3:18pm
It sounds like an unfortunate number of people subscribe to the theory that stealing a small amount from a large number of people is an acceptable business practice. If that were the case, there would be very little need for state attorney generals or federal trade commissions.

However the time has altogether come to an end for emails. I am not suggesting you make pursuit of this your life's mission but a carefully worded letter or two may do wonders.

If you are so disposed, it might be worthwhile to send ONE letter to two organizations:

1. ePrize corp: Josh Linkner, CEO, ePrize, LLC, One ePrize Drive, Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069
2. Jim Grube, President (at the address you now have for him from TNrina's post)

giving them a very limited time to settle this two year old matter.

THEN, the day after that limited time (or now if you do not want to do a letter though I strongly urge you to do one) a formal complaint [do the narrative part in draft first and make it fit all three so you only have to do ONE] to:

1. Maryland Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division:
http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/complaint.htm
2. Michigan Department of Attorney General. Consumer Protection Division:
http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-17331-42077--,00.html
3. Federal Trade Commission:
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

IF you believe (against all the evidence) this is a legitimate company, you may want to first try the "persuasive" effort of the membership organization, Better Business Bureau:
http://complaint.bbb.org/

Please do not pay the slightest attention to hysterical handwringing laments to the effect that the sweeps gods must be appeased regardless of whatever wrongs are committed against you or wild claims that all sweepstakes will cease if you pursue it. In point of fact, sweepstakes are not a gift from Divine Providence; they are a form of advertising promotion and they are regulated by law for that reason. Those laws exist [B]because it is not feasible for individuals to legally pursue the small individual sums usually involved in advertising schemes/scams/misrepresentations and sweeps-promotions like this. What is more, these companies universally charge off their advertising and promotion expenses on their taxes as legitimate business expenses - something they darn sure had better BE.

Good luck to you.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you so much! I will do exactly as you have stated. It makes pefect sense to me. I firmly believe that the advertisement that the company receives because of their promotions should be held accountable for their actions. I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks much! :gvibes:

triple*eee
January 27th, 2006, 3:26pm
Yes, I was just about to recommend contacting your attorney general but someone beat me to it. Hope it helps

eileenfar
January 27th, 2006, 3:35pm
Assuming "Bayou Country" means Louisiana (though they may be swamped with Katrina and Rita fall out problems), the Louisiana AG/CPD complaint address is

http://www.ag.state.la.us/Complaint.aspx

If nothing else, it will be clear to all involved that you aren't taking this lying down ... and it's quite likely to get a fast solution to the problem. If not, though, it is/will then be time to "move on."

keithkol
January 28th, 2006, 5:11am
If you are that adamant about persuing this I would stop wasting my time with EPrize. They have done what they can. Now it's time to start calling Life Practice.

http://www.lifepractice.com/

Obviously the problem is not ePrize ... remember, they work for the sponsor. It appears as though your problem lies with lifepractice only. Pursue these people and maybe you can get your reward.

Good Luck

Keith

feta
January 28th, 2006, 6:15am
If we win it, we should expect it, & receive our winnings
companies/sponsors need to be responsible for the sweepstakes/contests they hold

meek1643
January 28th, 2006, 7:01am
wrote to a sponsor ask for a phone number of the sponsor. They she quoted the federal law, that if their was no time limit or if you abided by all the requirements, the prize or one of eqaul value must be provided or this contest was a fraud. Ask for the money, or a timely response. It is also best to cc: the e-mail to a friend as proof of your e-mail.
Good Luck,
my sister is getting her prize.

I know it is not the greatest thing to fight with sponsors, but we must also keep them honest.

When sony kept dragging their legs regaring my trip to CA, the sponsor ate the taxes. They added a few items to the trip and I had a great time and no 1099.

tledbetter
January 28th, 2006, 1:17pm
Ditto what everyone else says...I think that the sponsor may be the one holding out on the prize. Eprize just awards the prizes that the sponsor provides/pays for...Eprize is like the middle-man per se. If the sponsor won't cough it up there's probably little they can do.

dbuske
January 28th, 2006, 1:29pm
Contact the BBB about Eprize. They will take care of it fast.

Marada
January 28th, 2006, 1:30pm
I love the assertive advice given in this thread! I would've just let it go, but with this good advice, it seems a shame not to at least follow up a little more on it!

triple*eee
January 28th, 2006, 1:39pm
Contact the BBB about Eprize. They will take care of it fast.

The BBB only takes complaints and lets other consumers know how many complaints have been made. Unless I'm wrong, I don't think the BBB actually investigates a claim for you and tries to rectify it. I think that's the AG job. Correct me if i'm wong.

KINGSWEEPER
January 28th, 2006, 1:46pm
I am so frustrated right now and am ready to call every paper, tv stations, blast all over the internet, etc. I "won" a one year membership to www.lifepratice.com Online Wellness Pprogram (ARV $180) !

MY ADVISE GIVE-IT-UP

IS GETTING P!SS#D OFF OVER A WELLNESS PROGRAM

GIVING YOU WELLNESS

GET ON & LET GO

eileenfar
January 28th, 2006, 1:47pm
they forward it to the company and record whatever response the company makes for reports to other consumers. Sometimes that is enough (with companies who are concerned about their complaint record) to get the problem solved. But if it is not, that is the end of the matter, as they have only the power of "persuasion." They're a membership organization of companies concerned about their reputation.

princessJ
January 28th, 2006, 2:02pm
If it's something you really wanted than I would try contacting both the sponser and eprize but by mail with return receipt requested.
If it's something you were excited to win but weren't passionately hoping for than move on. Look how many other great prizes are out there waiting for you! :)

AlaskanSweeper
January 28th, 2006, 2:06pm
I would deal directly with the sponsor of the contest. You might want to attach an email from eprize showing what you won.

Its ridiculous that eprize still hasn't awarded your prize after two years.

tlak
January 28th, 2006, 2:32pm
I would file with the Attorney General. I've had companies ignore me, but when the AG contacts them they usually take notice. The emails are a good time-line tract record of your continuing to pursue it.

polsky41
January 28th, 2006, 2:58pm
I would advise the handler of the sweep(Eprize or whoever it is) That if they can't help you get your rightful prize, Then maybe the sponsor is the way to go, Unless they have a better idea!! Always try to be nice first, I know that sounds stupid after all this time, But i don't know excatly what was said back and forth all this time!! Anyway wait for their answer and then go from there!! Many years ago there was a wonderful person at eprize who would take care of these things,But since then she has gone up in rank(Don't even know if she is still there or her name)
Anyway since then Eprize handles almost all sweeps!! Maybe just maybe if you go back in the all the OLS post and put Eprize in, maybe you can come up with her name?? I think it would have to be at least 5 or more years ago!! If she is there she may be able to help!! Everyone bragged how wonderful she was!! That being said, Bottom line I wouldn't give up like others say, easy for them to say it's not their prize!! Unless they no more exsist!! People are so easy to give you advise like that, but rarely take it them selves!! In all this time you just haven't talked or emailed the right person!! If you want to give up that's up to you, your decision to make!!! But hope what i said can help!! GL in getting your prize!!!

I would deal directly with the sponsor of the contest. You might want to attach an email from eprize showing what you won.

Its ridiculous that eprize still hasn't awarded your prize after two years.

Shake-Man
January 28th, 2006, 8:37pm
Unfortunately, in the last few weeks I have learned that very often "big corporation" and "integrity and principle" do not go together. In my situation, I too was going to pursue it just for the principle, but I've about decided my sanity is more important. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It sucks that businesses often do not honor their word.

legaleagle
January 28th, 2006, 8:44pm
Cut your losses....even if you get the prize at this point, I doubt you would ever enjoy it. There is strength in knowing when to let it go.

Peg152
January 28th, 2006, 8:52pm
You know, those 'investigative reporters' who are out there looking for scams???

kav
January 28th, 2006, 9:03pm
To all of you who are giving the "move on" advice.. I don't think that's what The Seahorse Lady is looking for. It's not a poll. I think she is looking for real advice as to how to deal with the situation ie.. she wants to deal with it.. not just forget about it. Let's try to keep the "move ons" out of this and give some real advice like has been given by most of the other responders.

I agree that you should contact the sponsor directly. That's how I resolved a problem with a prize last year. :smile9:

Nana*2*4
January 28th, 2006, 9:09pm
If you're interested in pursuing it, I would definitely quit emailing and try making a phone call to ePrize. Emails are too easy to ignore.
I Agree!!

rfrobins
January 28th, 2006, 9:12pm
file a complaint with the attorney general of your state. they will handle it and no more headache for you. they will then give you your prize. Sponsors need to be responsible and the attorney generals office is there for you to prevent fraud. Good luck.

sallykay
January 28th, 2006, 9:18pm
To all of you who are giving the "move on" advice.. I don't think that's what The Seahorse Lady is looking for. It's not a poll. I think she is looking for real advice as to how to deal with the situation ie.. she wants to deal with it.. not just forget about it. Let's try to keep the "move ons" out of this and give some real advice like has been given by most of the other responders.

I agree that you should contact the sponsor directly. That's how I resolved a problem with a prize last year. :smile9:

I did give her "real advice."

WLAllen219
January 28th, 2006, 9:23pm
Well, Cockysville is about 45 min away from me. I'll be happy to go there personally for you. Want me to kick some Lifepractice Hiney for ya?!!! Actually I could go there as if I was doing an article on fraud in promotions for The Washington Post (Hey, I could always do a freelance piece) and be following up on one of my leads (give them your name etc).

It would be my pleasure to do anything I could. You're right, it's principle and some companies just don't have any. Just PM me if I can personally deliver anything for you or do some investigating here.

eileenfar
January 28th, 2006, 9:31pm
:clap: :clap: :clap: Well, Cockysville is about 45 min away from me. I'll be happy to go there personally for you. Want me to kick some Lifepractice Hiney for ya?!!! Actually I could go there as if I was doing an article on fraud in promotions for The Washington Post (Hey, I could always do a freelance piece) and be following up on one of my leads (give them your name etc).

It would be my pleasure to do anything I could. You're right, it's principle and some companies just don't have any. Just PM me if I can personally deliver anything for you or do some investigating here. :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a GREAT idea! You GO! That skunk will rue the day he was born. He'd pro'lly be more scared if it were a Baltimore Sun expose (and they'd be a bit more likely to buy your freelance piece, too), where he is, the louse. That is too, too cool.

P.S.: at the website there is a "team" (staff) page with a photo of M. Grube