PDA

View Full Version : Cancer sucks... let's fight it!

Pages : [1] 2

Brent
November 8th, 2002, 4:18pm
Shake-Man has a brilliant idea. Since I know I could never put it quite as eloquently as he did, here's his idea-

I was surfing the net tonight, mostly vegging out because there was nothing else to do, and I came across United Devices. It's a distributed computing website. Ever heard of distributed computing?? Sure you have, if you're a geek like me.

Just as a refresher, the theory behind DC (which I'll refer to it as in an attempt to be "hip" and because I'm too lazy to type it over and over again) is that even the most powerful supercomputer is nothing compared to the combined potential of millions of desktop PC's working in unison. For the most part, the processors in our computers spend the majority of their time idle. Sure, when we click on web link, play a game, enlarge pictures of Britney and Jennifer "Love", the processor does it's thing. But when we are reading web pages, typing in forums, drooling over previously mentioned pictures, etc., the processor just sits there wasting precious processing cycles that could be used to do something else. That's where DC comes into play. DC has unlimited commercial application, but the part that interests me is the volunteer, non-profit, "public good" side of it. Currently, United Devices, along with a few other companies and various universities, is sponsoring cancer research using DC technology. Simply stated, the home PC user downloads the United Devices program, and your PC analyzes protein structures in its spare time. These results are then uploaded back to United Devices so that they can be analyzed. These results will be used to hopefully find a cure for cancer.

The humanitarian possibilities of DC are endless. Earlier this year, following the anthrax scare, United Devices temporarily shifted gears and used the Volunteer A PC to search for an effective cure for anthrax. They met their predetermined goal in record time. According to published results, the findings are very promising.

Individual users are welcome to download and use the program to volunteer their computers. I had volunteered mine for quite awhile up until a few months ago. Why did I stop, you ask? I, uhh, forgot to reinstall it after formatting my hard drive. Yeah, I suck.

Anyway, I was browsing through their site again tonight, and I stumbled into the "teams" area of the site. And much like those Victoria's Secret commercials, it got me to thinking. We've got close to 4000 members here at OLS. That's a heck of a lot of computer power. I kind of thought it would be cool for us to start a team with Brent as captain. As a team, our individual results would be combined and ranked along with all the other teams out there. If Overclockers.com and other geek sites can have a team, I know the cool folks here ought to be able to handle one. As far as I know, there aren't any prizes or anything. I just figured it would be a "feelgood" type of thing to do. Lord knows I've had enough family members and friends suffer and die with cancer, as I'm sure the rest of you have. It feels kind of cool knowing that we can do a small part in helping to find a cure. Plus, as our rankings improved, it would give OLS a good dose of free publicity.
Great idea isn't it? I've had the program running on my computer for about 2 weeks now and it works exactly as advertised. The program only runs when your computer isn't doing anything else so it doesn't get in your way at all.

Here's the link to register and join the Online-Sweepstakes.com team: http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=96B5A849-38C5-4830-9B8E-3132B0D67079

Brent

Overview from the United Devices website:

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE

By combining thousands of ordinary PCs to work on extremely large computational projects, problems can be solved more quickly and less expensively than by conventional methods. Now regular people can help fuel research and projects that previously may have required a bank of supercomputers or a hundred years to complete. The Volunteer Your PC program lets you make a real difference without donating money or your time with the tool that you are using to view this site right now—your home PC.

In our Volunteer Your PC program, your computer can join tens of thousands of other PCs across the Internet each working on a small part of a large problem simultaneously. You can help one or more public good projects. To participate, simply download a very small, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver: it runs when your computer isn't being used, and processes projects—until you need the power. Your computer never leaves your desk, and the project never interrupts your usual PC use.

IT BENEFITS THE WORLD: IT BENEFITS YOU

Make A Difference
United Devices empowers individuals to do something more then just make a financial donation to a research foundation or charity. It allows you to truly participate and make a difference.

Use Cool Free Technology
United Devices Members are not only fueling the next revolution in computing, they are involved in some of the most significant and cutting edge projects in the world.

ITS EASY AND ITS SAFE

The download process is very easy. We provide prompts to guide you through completion. And once you download the UD Agent and have it running, you never have to think about it again—the software runs quietly in the background and updates itself. There is no cost to participate and no impact on your computer use. The United Devices software works only on our projects—it cannot detect or transfer anything on your machine. It can only process the project-related information.

Current Online-Sweepstakes.com Team Stats
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=96B5A849-38C5-4830-9B8E-3132B0D67079

pantherpaw
November 10th, 2002, 7:51pm
Cool idea! I just joined the team.

Wannawin
November 12th, 2002, 12:08am
What a great idea, this is one time I wish I had a PC and not a Mac. I just spent five months living in the loma linda hospital with my eight year old grandson during his horrific battle with cancer. I wish I could do this. I hope everyone that can do this will!!

Debra

Current
November 12th, 2002, 8:17am
Brent,
I went to the web site to download this program because this sound like an awesome idea. But when I clicked on "Join this team", it brought up a box wanting my member name and password. I can't find where I set up my name and password on the site. Could you help?
:D

Current

khill
November 12th, 2002, 8:36am
you can count me in! Been cancer free for two years now! Good going, Brent, and thanks!

mcastle
November 12th, 2002, 11:42am
Current - I puzzled over that for a bit myself. After you download the program from here: http://members.ud.com/download/gold/ your member name and password are created/entered during the setup process.

Marnie

Current
November 12th, 2002, 1:11pm
Thanks Mcastle.....I finally got it downloaded and working.....I wish everyone on this web site would do this. It seems like such a good cause!!!! :grin5:
Current

Brent
November 13th, 2002, 9:53am
Hi guys,

Thanks for signing up! We now have a whopping 7 members. Don't everybody all sign up at once now. We wouldn't want to bring down their server from a sudden rush of traffic.

Come on everybody, we can do better than that! I know everyone knows how to fill out a form. :rolleyes: It's a small program that doesn't get in your way because it only runs when your computer's processor isn't doing anything else. How uplifting will it be someday to hear that a cure for cancer has been found- and that distributed computing played a major role in its discovery?

We can make a difference! Come on everybody, follow this link and join our team ---> http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=96B5A849-38C5-4830-9B8E-3132B0D67079

I was thinking about challenging RedHot, CashNet and maybe a few other sweep sites to come up with their own teams to get a fun little rivalry going amongst us, but I'm glad I didn't- we'd be getting our butts kicked. :laugh:

Brent

hotdoggy
November 14th, 2002, 1:13pm
;) Well I did it, I'm in. I think I was afraid of the unknown at first but I'm more afraid of cancer since both my parents died from it. I still think you should start a challenge thread for this. You might be surprised.

Virginia

hotdoggy
November 14th, 2002, 2:49pm
I can't see my desktop icons now. What do I do? I thought this ran in the back ground and I wouldn't know it was there. HELP! My whole desktop is covered by this.

hotdoggy
November 14th, 2002, 3:41pm
I answered my own question. I just restarted my computer and everything is ok, it's cool, no sweat etc. Thanks for anyone who was going to answer my S.O.S.

mscurious1
November 16th, 2002, 8:36pm
Count me in as #9! This is a great idea! :yay: :bow:

Brent
November 21st, 2002, 1:30pm
I've up dated our team's stats in the first post. We're really starting to move up in the rankings. Thanks to everyone who has joined the team so far! We could still use some more members. :)

Brent

binski
November 21st, 2002, 7:26pm
I joined! Sorry I didn't pay attention earlier!

Current
November 25th, 2002, 7:54am
Come on guys!!! We can do better then this!! I checked this morning and we now have 12 members on the team (which is great!) But we have almost 4,500 registered members on Online-Sweepstakes.com. Think about how many people we could get on our team if even 1/4th of those who use this website sign up for this cancer research. Besides, it's a great cause!

My computer has been doing this for weeks now, and I haven't had one problem with it, I don't even know its there. It hasn't slowed my computer down at all or caused any problems.

Come on.......sign up, pretty please?

:D Current

capn12
November 25th, 2002, 9:14am
I'm in Brent, count me in. Come on folks, there really is no reason to not be doing our part concerning this. We can do it!!

FlipNB
November 25th, 2002, 9:38am
I am definitely going to sign up for this. Guys, my 11 month old daughter Sophie died of cancer in 1999, 2 weeks short of her first birthday. It is a mysterious, brutal disease that doesn't discriminate...cancer research needs all the help in can get. Thanks for doing this, Brent.

Current
November 25th, 2002, 9:51am
Two more people are gonna sign up!!!! I'm glad I posted a reminder! That will take us up to 14 team members. Wouldn't it be awesome if we had over a thousand?

Thanks you guys who signed up this morning!!!

:cheer: :cheer:

Current

smitchathome
November 25th, 2002, 10:25am
I'm in. Come on folks, let's make a difference while we win!

smitchathome

velvet49329
November 25th, 2002, 10:30am
I'm in,just finished registering!

bluenude3
November 25th, 2002, 10:37am
Hello all!

I actually work for the American Cancer Society & just in case anyone had any qualms about this program, it is legit. I have a link below that is from our official site. Any help we can get in finding a cure is great so sign up. 4500 people signed up would kick ass! Thanks!

Simone

:rolleyes:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MED/content/MED_2_1X_Intel_and_Scientific_Community_Announce_Cancer_Research_Program.asp

debbie
November 25th, 2002, 10:47am
I signed up this morning. Hope this can help someone.

Deb

Current
November 25th, 2002, 10:52am
Simone,
Thanks for posting that link!! It's nice to know that this has the approval of the American Cancer Society. And thanks for everyone who has signed up today. I hope we can get a lot more, you guys are awesome! :wink3:

Current

ML
November 25th, 2002, 1:40pm
I joined!! Thanks Debbie for sending me the email about this!

:)
Mary

bluenude3
November 25th, 2002, 8:18pm
You're welcome for posting... its my job.

I actually used to have this on my old computer, but hadn't gotten around to putting on my new home comp - so thanks for reminding me. :D

Thanks to everyone for signing up, it really does make a difference!

Simone

:cheer3:

Current
November 25th, 2002, 8:32pm
This morning we had 12 team members. I just checked....we have 18 now! (it might be more, they update the page every few hours) I'm not gonna rest until we have over a hundred...heehee. You all are gonna get sick of seeing my reminders, but I think this is such a good cause and it is so easy. Thanks to Shake-Man for the idea, to Brent for posting it, and to all that have joined. I love the idea that my little ole computer might make a difference. Who knows, maybe someday soon a cure could come out this.

:p

Current

Vicky
November 26th, 2002, 10:58pm
STEP 1
Current - I puzzled over that for a bit myself. After you download the program from here: http://members.ud.com/download/gold/ your member name and password are created/entered during the setup process.

Marnie

Thanks Marnie. I was a little confused until I read your post. :)

STEP 2

All they have to do is download and install the UD
software and then go to this page to join your team.

http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=96B5A849-38C5-4830-9B8E-3132B0D67079

Current
November 26th, 2002, 11:06pm
19 members now....only a little over 4000 to go!! Thanks all of you who have joined!

Current :cheer:

debbie
December 1st, 2002, 6:32am
still only 19 members. Lets go everyone, I sent an email to alot of people from this site, and 2 sent me back that they joined. Brent I think I saw somewhere on there how to add this as a link on you site, you may want to look into it for the home page.
I am going to try and put it on some of the pc's at my work.

Debbie

LadyBrett
December 1st, 2002, 1:05pm
Well I hope I'm in! I downloaded, and picked a user name, and then it took me to a page with a cpu clock and the type of computer I have. Did I do everything right?

slgibbs1
December 1st, 2002, 3:36pm
I just signed up. My husband died at age 43 of malignant melanoma. The least I can do is to sign up. Count me in

pantherpaw
December 1st, 2002, 3:42pm
Sandy, I lost my sister to melanoma 2 years ago. She was only 35 and left behind 2 young boys. I HATE CANCER!!

I've been running this program on my computer for several weeks now and every day when I get on the computer and see the little icon sitting there I get a thrill knowing I am doing something to fight the monster. Thanks to Shake-Man for alerting us to the program and thanks to Brett for creating a team.

Current
December 1st, 2002, 5:41pm
20 members now!! AWESOME!!! But I know we can get more......come on guys!!

Current

McBo
December 2nd, 2002, 4:33am
I,m having trouble loging on to sign up It wouldn,t take my name or password.any helpful hints?:confused: :confused:

debbie
December 2nd, 2002, 6:59am
maybe try to set up a new login and password.

Deb

McBo
December 2nd, 2002, 10:11am
Thanks deb.I,m signed up and on the team.I finaly got something good out of these sweeps Talk about a big win.Its a sweep that keeps on sweeping.who ever though up this should get a great big ataboy +.:cheer: :cheer: I fell like a hound dog running though the woods,just being a small part of this.:smile7: If I dont win any thing else,I can just look at my computer and smile knowing it's doing some good.thanks guys and gals for sharing the information about this web site.:laugh: I fell good:smile3:

debbie
December 4th, 2002, 7:56am
after you sign up and download make sure you are a member of the online-sweepstakes team, go to the link and click on join this team

http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=96B5A849-38C5-4830-9B8E-3132B0D67079

here is who have joined the team

Amtmom 11/25/2002 -:---:--:--:-- 0 0
binski33 11/22/2002 0:010:15:25:19 4,322 13
bluenude3 11/26/2002 0:005:07:00:47 2,773 6
Current 11/12/2002 0:015:16:32:23 2,874 10
debbies 11/25/2002 0:002:10:52:44 1,096 3
debbiework 12/04/2002 -:---:--:--:-- 0 0
dgtop 11/18/2002 0:009:22:31:19 6,057 28
GeorgeQuinones 11/08/2002 0:007:21:31:49 2,290 4
joiwind25 11/13/2002 0:007:02:35:56 3,573 14
jtmcbass 12/02/2002 -:---:--:--:-- 0 0
Kay Hill 11/19/2002 -:---:--:--:-- 0 0
LauraS 11/11/2002 0:011:00:20:52 3,532 12
loopynet 10/24/2002 0:023:22:24:31 5,933 16
mansker 12/02/2002 -:---:--:--:-- 0 0
mcastle 11/11/2002 0:008:06:12:22 1,975 11
mscurious1 11/17/2002 0:006:17:28:56 1,148 5
respira 11/09/2002 0:017:08:13:04 3,908 16
ShakeMan 10/24/2002 0:010:01:53:13 4,988 40
slgibbs1 12/01/2002 -:---:--:--:-- 0 0
Smitchathome 11/25/2002 0:002:11:04:22 882 3
Thomas Batson 11/25/2002 0:003:04:43:51 1,055 6
vcwins 11/27/2002 0:001:22:15:48 860 1
velvet49329 11/25/2002 -:---:--:--:-- 0 0

McBo
December 4th, 2002, 8:39am
I,ve joined the team.I,m under a different Mc handle.I,m so excited about this cancer fighting op.Im telling everyone I know about the web site. most look at me like Im crazy,but thats becouse they know me so well.:smile3: :grin2: :laugh2: With so much computer hardware on this site,what a heck of a team we could make.But Im new here and dont want to step on any toes,but come on you guys it dont cost a thang and it dose alot of good.Besize I have big heavy feet.:grin5:

slgibbs1
December 4th, 2002, 4:43pm
I am a little worried. I am online at least four hours a day. Yet I show zero hours of time. Did I do something wrong? My little blue symbol is running at the bottom of my screen. Do I have to do something when I sign on to activate?

debbie
December 5th, 2002, 6:23am
i think that you have to have a task get to 100% and then it has to update the information.

if you click on the blue symbol does it has any total point yet?

Deb

slgibbs1
December 6th, 2002, 7:29pm
Seems to be working now. I have 12 hours already. Thanks

gcomstock
December 6th, 2002, 8:02pm
Sorry to wait so long...my 'puters pulling along with you now. Thanks for setting this up!

fullabull
December 13th, 2002, 3:36am
Saw a deal where Gateway is going to start selling the idle time from their demo computers for 15 cents an hour or somehting like that.

Thought it would be cool to try to get them to donate some percentage of their combined processor time to this cause......

Anyone have any good ideas about how to approach them about this?

Current
December 13th, 2002, 5:19am
I have no idea who to contact at Gateway, today I will call my local store and see if I can get a number or something for their headquarters. By the way, I just checked and our team is up to 28 members!!!!!

:cheer:

Vicky
December 18th, 2002, 9:15am
I've got 5101 points! I will leave my computer running at night sometimes so it can be used. :)

We almost have 5000 members here on OLS so I hope more people will be joining. I don't even know it's there, but it is. It has a blue icon in the task bar and you can check on your stats. It doesn't slow the computer or interfere or anything. It doesn't get any easier than that!

C'mon OLSweepers!! Download the program then join the OLS team!!

Mare
December 18th, 2002, 10:21am
I have to remember to ask the Tech Hubby to do this for me when he has a day he doesn't work until 10 PM. (For those of you who don't know I'm a technophobe when it comes to downloading stuff-well it's like having math anxiety and hiding in your locker during Algebra II tests...been there-done that).

So, count me in, too.

Mare "mp3's? ooh scary" Rivera

mahitabel
December 18th, 2002, 10:06pm
What a great idea!! I down loaded the program and just installed it. Thanks for the "heads up."

effen_crazy
December 22nd, 2002, 9:10am
I just joined the Online-Sweepstakes.com website, but have been a donator of computer time to United Devices for over a year now.

I was never a team member though, but I thought as contribution to my new favorite site that I would join the online-sweeps team.

Good Luck to all.

Current
December 22nd, 2002, 9:41am
Thanks to all that have joined the Team!! We are now up to 30 members!!!! Awesome!!! :bow:

Brent
December 22nd, 2002, 10:29am
Hi effen_crazy (great name btw, :wink2: ),

Thanks for joining our team and welcome to the site!

We just went over 1 full year of total CPU time the other day. We're doing great, especially for only having 30 members. Come on everybody, WE WANT MORE!!! :smile4:

Brent

Thuspicy4u
December 23rd, 2002, 1:09am
This such a great cause. I have my computer on all the time. I hope I did it right. Please let me know if I am Brent.

Brent
December 23rd, 2002, 5:51am
Hi Thuspicy4u,

Thanks for joining our team! If your username is either sunlife9 or heycraig (they both joined yesterday), your in like Flynn. :)

Brent

Micky
December 23rd, 2002, 9:28am
I just joined, thanks for the info, Shake Man and Brent

My momma has just been rediagnosed with breast cancer after 7 years of being cancer free, so doing something like this does make me feel good.

Thanks to everyone for doing this, it means a lot.

Micky

groovyguru
December 23rd, 2002, 11:51am
Just joined, I'm #34. Like most of you my family has suffered with cancer. With all the good people out there lets get to at least 100 members by the end of 2002! It doesn't hurt, no needles, nothing from your bank account, just use of your wasted CPU power.

You can be groovy too! :cheer2:

Brent
December 23rd, 2002, 12:04pm
Thanks Micky and groovyguru! And welcome to the team. :)

I know there's plenty of potential team members out there. Come on guys, we can do better than 34!

Thuspicy4u, your name is on the team member list now.

Brent

groovyguru
December 23rd, 2002, 1:42pm
I am a systems analyst, and have been programming since 1975 (and boy are my fingers tired). The technology to do this work is a fairly standard one. On the systems I manage, if we have a long running job, we let it use any unused CPU power by reducing it scheduling priority. That is what this thing does. No risk & a great reward. How can you not do this?

wdmouse
December 26th, 2002, 8:07am
I signed up this AM. Glad to be able to do something for the cause.

groovyguru
December 26th, 2002, 9:52am
If you have more than one computer, you can register them all. I have 3 computers, soon a 4th. I expect to be able to donate at least 2 days of CPU per day. Any other hardware blessed members should consider doing this.

When you sign up it does take time for the results of your work to complete & then up to a day for it to be added to the team totals, so don't give up because it looks like it isn't working.

Current
December 26th, 2002, 10:25am
We're up to 35 members now!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

How cool is that? :grin5:

wdmouse
December 26th, 2002, 11:36am
I know this will probably give a lot of you a good laugh...but do I have to be hooked to the net for this program to do it's job?

I disconnect when I am not using the net and was just wondering.

whist
December 26th, 2002, 4:57pm
i just signed up! great idea,,my best friend of about 20 years,,lost her mom to cancer in feb of this year,,she was my mom away from mom so to speak,, a great lady!!
glad to be part of this !:smile3:

Thuspicy4u
December 26th, 2002, 11:34pm
Originally posted by Brent

Thuspicy4u, your name is on the team member list now.

Brent

Brent,

Where is the member list link? Sorry, I hve no idea where it's located. Help.

groovyguru
December 27th, 2002, 3:42am
wdmouse asked about needing to be on the net for this to work. It downloads data, processes it locally, and uploads the results when it is complete. If you are not connected, it will try to use your internet settings in control panel to dial up the net. The it will upload the data, and get the next project, and you will be disconnected per your internet connection settings. If you disable the auto internet connect, the UD job will not perform any work until you connect to the internet.

If you want more info, Click the view your scores & rewards on the member information portion of the pop-up UD form. It will bring you to the UD website and you can find out more info about everything there.

wdmouse
December 27th, 2002, 8:46am
thank you for the info. I just didn't want my puter to be sitting here not working...I want to find a cure !
Maybe when we get the cure for cancer we can do something like this for Diabetes.

slgibbs1
December 27th, 2002, 2:28pm
Techies--help please. I have been turning off all programs except
the UD agent and going to bed or to work. I will be gone 8 hours and when I next check it, the CPU time only advanced 2 hours.
Why is this? Should I be doing something else. I disabled screen saver, and I turn off monitor- otherwise, I let it run. Please advise.

wdmouse
January 2nd, 2003, 7:23am
Sandy I think it is because it just takes time to work. I am not a techie ( far from it ) but I noticed that mine can work all night and it seems like it hasn't done much. I just leave computer with the normal things open like I always do and let it do it's work. I think you are doing great and and you will see some results soon.

effen_crazy
January 2nd, 2003, 10:22am
It is all the CPU speed and the internet connection you have. The faster your computer the more time that accumulates. Your internet connection is thesame. The faster the connection the more time that accumulates. Keep letting it go. The time will grow and any time is good time where this research is concerned. Keep up the good work. :smile3: :cheer:

koisweeper
January 3rd, 2003, 2:30pm
I'm in gang. We're up to 40 members now! :grin2:

Current
January 3rd, 2003, 2:58pm
Whooooohooooooo!!!!!! 40 members!!! Awesome! Now only a little under 5000 to go....heehee! Wouldn't it be cool if Online-Sweeps was in first place membership wise? :grin3:

groovyguru
January 6th, 2003, 12:09pm
slgibbs1 asked about CPU time not increasing. I believe this would be due to your computer going into power saving mode. Go to Control Panel > Power Settings and see if you computer does any power savings. You can shutdown the monitor without any loss of processing.

tweety6561
January 6th, 2003, 1:58pm
Count me in, too.

slgibbs1
January 6th, 2003, 8:34pm
Groovyguru--Thanks!!! It was set to turn off after 15 minutes.
It must have been shutting on and off all night.
See, it helps to ask an expert!!!

Sandy:grin3:

akellyacct
January 7th, 2003, 1:33am
What a great idea! I've joined the team and will be passing the word on to all of my non-sweeping friends.

They'll be competition for us but all computers are needed to find the cure.

Current
January 7th, 2003, 8:28am
Akellyacct, just have your friends join our team......I don't think they have to be a member of O-S to join it......somebody correct me if I'm wrong.....

StarbucksAddict
January 7th, 2003, 9:09am
OK, where did my reply just go?

StarbucksAddict
January 7th, 2003, 9:10am
OK, I'll try again.

Does anyone know how long it takes for individual stats to show up? I downloaded this on my work computer before I left last night. I locked the puter and let it go all night. When I came in this morning, UD Agent was showing 18.5 hours of CPU task time, but if I look at my member name on the web site, it shows nothing? :rolleyes: I hope I did this correctly!

Current
January 7th, 2003, 9:13am
If I understand it correctly, it doesn't post your stats until a job is finished and gets back to their server. Then I think it can take up to a day for the results to be posted in your name. Hope that helps....

StarbucksAddict
January 7th, 2003, 9:26am
Originally posted by Current
If I understand it correctly, it doesn't post your stats until a job is finished and gets back to their server. Then I think it can take up to a day for the results to be posted in your name. Hope that helps....

yeesh, then I guess it'll take a while! 18.5 hours, and my task is only 23% done.

Current
January 7th, 2003, 10:14am
I've noticed that some tasks take a shorter time then others. I guess it depends on the task.

groovyguru
January 18th, 2003, 12:04am
Today my friend's mother died of cancer.

She was in her 60s, had lots of problems throughout her life, but the thing that killed her was cancer that destroyed both her lungs. The old girl fought to the end, even having a surgery to take out as much cancer as possible, just to give herself a chance, even though it made her end come quicker. My friend is torn up.

You can help my friend and your friends by signing up to use your unused computer CPU time. Please consider it. Thanks.

Brent
January 18th, 2003, 5:49am
Sorry to hear of your friend's loss, groovyguru.

Cancer drastically affects us all, even if you're one of the fortunate few who have never been close to anybody who was a victim of cancer. Increased health care costs, reduced productivity, use of precious resources that could be used to cure other diseases or solve other problems, etc.- we all pay for it.

Distributed computing takes our unused computer processing time and combines them together into a kind of Super Computer. A Super Computer that has no equal. It's this combination of our computers' processing power that enables universities and researchers to speed up the race for a cure.

Distributed computing is absolutely the only thing in the world that makes this type of research feasible. And because it will probably never be possible to build a computer more powerful than any combination of millions of our personal computers, distributed computing is here to stay. It's only fair to assume that it will have its fair share of success stories (it's already had a few). Therefore, when a cure is found (and one will be found), there can be little doubt that distributed computing will play a major role in its discovery.

By donating our unused CPU time, are we going to cure cancer ourselves? No. It's also unlikely that this particular distributed computing project will be the one that finds the cure. But our combined efforts will most certainly help the process along. And the more help we, as a group, can provide, the sooner a cure will be found.

Our team has now contributed almost <b>3 full years</b> of computer processing time to this project. It may not seem like much compared to the several hundred years of CPU time that are contributed everyday, but it ain't chump change either. The more we can help, the faster they can get done with this project, and the closer we'll be to finding a cure.

Think about it. Over the next several years, if we, as a group, can contribute a couple of thousand years of CPU time to this project, there's no doubt that we will have made a substantial difference in the search for a cure. Whether this specific project finds the cure for cancer or not isn't the point. The point is we're helping complete just one small part of the overall solution. And the sooner we can get through all the small parts, the sooner we'll find the cure.

What if our combined efforts could mean that a cure was found just a little bit sooner- even by one day. How many lives and how many millions of dollars would that save? With the 10,000++ visitors that come to this web site everyday, I believe that we can make that kind of difference.

Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel, may be you.

Please join our team!

Brent

velvet49329
January 18th, 2003, 8:30am
Well said Brent! And a big Thank You to Shake-Man for coming up with the idea in the first place! The way that I see it,one day this research may help my kids or my grandkids(I don't have any grandkids yet,but someday I will!)!

In fact,I have a younger sister and she lives with me. I share my computer with her and she gets me smokin mad because when I go to bed she turns my UD agent off while she's chatting. She says it slows the computer down too much,I however,know this is not true because I run it all day while I am sweeping. She just refuses to admit that it has something to do with the fact that she has 20 programs and 10 windows running at a time. If she keeps it up,she had better hope that someone finds a cure for "death by big sister"! Oh well,maybe I will have to foribid her from using my computer!:laugh:

jaybat
January 18th, 2003, 12:49pm
Hopefully I won't get flamed to death over this, just my outlook on it. I did UD a couple years ago I guess, finally decided the one thing I couldn't deal with was their prime directive: profit. They want people to work for them for free, while they hope to (eventually anyway) make big bucks off of us (not to mention UD has the most hostile forums I've ever been to).

I'd like nothing better than to see a non-profit org come up with the same sort of cancer research like Berkeley is doing with SETI, but until then I guess I'll stick with SETI.

I'm sort of hoping somebody like IBM or a big pharmaceuticals firm will do it as a non-profit PR thing, but I think the only likely hope is that UD will go bankrupt and some university will end up with the projects.

BTW, if UD has changed their business plans since I was a member and become a non-profit, I will happily stand corrected.

groovyguru
January 18th, 2003, 1:19pm
No flames here. The cost to me is the electricity of a PC (not much). The value might be treatments or cures for cancer. If UD makes tons of money off my donation, I don't care. I do think that using your computer for a possible good is better than turning it off at night, or looking for ET. Don't get me wrong I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr Who, X-files, etc. and do support the SETI concept. I just think that helping humans now is better than trying for the first contact with other planets.

pantherpaw
January 18th, 2003, 1:45pm
No flames - just another perspective:

As I've mentioned before in this thread, I lost my sister to melanoma cancer 3 years ago when she was only 35. I for one do not care if UD is a for profit organization - I will continue to run the program on my computer so that others will not have to suffer as my family has.

Brent - I notice you recently put a link on the home page for this. I think that's a great idea because not everyone reads the forums and the more people that know about this opportunity the better!

whist
January 18th, 2003, 2:47pm
i have found that just because a organiztion says they are nonprofit doesnt mean that someone isnt making money for profit ,,take your sherriffs and firemen charity drives,,they are non profit but the people who call to get your money isnt,,for every 10 dollars you donate they get 9 of it and the police and firemen get a dollar,,,,,,,,iam staying with this cancer reasearch ,, i think its a great cause!!!!!!

lilreddevil38
January 19th, 2003, 10:26pm
well i downloaded UD but when it takes me to the UD agent registration box and i enter my name, p-word etc. it tells me "The user name or password that you have provided does not match the one in our records". This doesn't make sense since I am signing up for the first time. Also, the box for existing agents is not checked.

Kris:confused:

groovyguru
January 19th, 2003, 10:40pm
Did you do this step first?

Originally posted by mcastle

Marnie

viperlily
January 19th, 2003, 10:44pm
I had a bit of trouble signing in, but finally it worked...

I'm IN!! Great idea!

:cheer:

lilreddevil38
January 20th, 2003, 6:55pm
groovyguru----

i tried that. i downloaded and at the end of the install process the UD Agent Registration window popped up. it already has my name in the "member name" box, although it is misspelled, nothing in password or re-type password & my first name spelled correctly in the box "give this UD Agent a name". also no e-mail addy listed. i proceed to correct the member name, type & retype in a password and add my e-mail. i then clicked on login and i would get the response "The user name or password that you have provided does not match the one in our records". i tried not changing the member name but no luck there.

aaarrrggghh

Kris

el0554
January 23rd, 2003, 12:33pm
Hi Brent, I just went to sign up for this great project, as I too have lost too many friends and family to this terrible disease. When I attempted to download it, I found out it does not support Mac. Is there anything Mac users can do?

squirrely_g
January 24th, 2003, 3:23pm
My father passed away from cancer, and I fully suport this site and the other 'One Click' sites here - it only takes a few seconds, and every little bit helps.:smile5:

tncorgi
January 26th, 2003, 10:15am
Someone is diagnosed with breast cancer every 24 seconds.
2249723 people have been diagnosed with breast cancer since 5/11/01.

Eliminate environmental causes of breast cancer & stop this epidemic!
Click today--every step counts.

http://breastcancer.care2.com/

tncorgi
January 26th, 2003, 10:26am
thanks for telling us about this just signed up so now you have a member from TN (if there isn't one already)....

STATS~
Members (Rank) 52 (# 446)
Current Members 52
Retired Members 0
Total CPU Time(y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 3:131:21:05:16 (# 4,074)
Points Generated (Rank) 438,690 (# 3,390)
Results Returned (Rank) 1,011 (# 8,749)

jesjaime
January 26th, 2003, 11:50am
Ok I'm a little behind with things, but I just signed up. I must admit I was a little scared. I don't know alot about computers other than getting on and surfing the web, entering sweeps and the like. I bet the reason alot of people aren't signing up is the same. Scared of the unknown. I didn't want to compromise my security online. But I see that there are many microsoft teams and other big companies that are legit. That made me just alittle less scared. Sorry for the delay. And anyone who is not sure should at least take a look at the site. It will be alright. :grin5:

Donna

slgibbs1
January 26th, 2003, 12:08pm
The girl who sat behind me at work, Judy, had some neck pain on October 15th. It was breast cancer metastasized to the bone. She died last week at age 58. It was 12 weeks from time she was diagnosed till she died. Scary huh? I am glad I signed up for this project.:frown5:

jesjaime
January 26th, 2003, 9:20pm
I signed up today and now I have a question. When I leave my computer for a while, I come back and find this really weird science stuff floating around my screen. Kind of a screen saver. Is everyone else getting this also?

Donna

groovyguru
January 26th, 2003, 9:24pm
It sets up a screen saver. You can & should turn it off. You can change it from start-settings-controlpanel-display-screensaver. Then set it to none and apply.

Or right click your wallpaper to get to the display-screensaver area (this is faster, but some people like using the start method).

effen_crazy
January 26th, 2003, 9:26pm
Groovyguru said it all and it was much better than my response.

Which was Yes! :)

groovyguru
January 30th, 2003, 12:22am
Got this on 30 Jan 2003 05:08:59 (GMT). You need to decide if you want to run purely cancer or cancer & bioterror research.

Next week we will launch a new Internet-based research project using the LigandFit application to screen approximately 35 million potential drug molecules against several virus structures that could be used for bioterrorism.

This project will run in parallel to the Cancer Research Project as a secondary task. If you do not wish to participate in this project, please go to the device management section of your member home page and select the device profile you are using. Near the bottom of the device profile you will find the project selections. De-select the secondary task (virus research project) and save your changes. Any device using that device profile will not be sent work for the new project.

It should be noted that screening these virus structures will also generate new leads for anti-cancer drugs. Also, the funding for the project ensures the continuance of the highly successful Cancer Research Project. Many organizations have contributed to this new project, and we look forward to providing more detail with next week's launch.

tncorgi
January 30th, 2003, 4:13pm
update info....

Name: Online-Sweepstakes.com

Team Statistics
Statistics Last Updated: 01/29/2003 23:59:59 (UTC) [ 22 hour(s) ago ]

Totals
Members (Rank) 53 (# 439)
Current Members 53
Retired Members 0
Total CPU Time(y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 3:238:14:56:09 (# 3,781)
Points Generated (Rank) 480,422 (# 3,129)
Results Returned (Rank) 1,124 (# 8,243)

rettaf
January 31st, 2003, 9:42pm
It took me long enough but I finally joined the team!

rettaf
February 2nd, 2003, 11:14am
It sets up a screen saver. You can & should turn it off

GroovyGuru posted this and I was wondering why you should turn it off. Just curious.

groovyguru
February 2nd, 2003, 1:46pm
Here's the answer from the UD website:

Will the UD Agent run faster if I shut down the screen saver?
Yes. The screen saver diverts your computer resources to motion and graphic processing. This is not just for the United Devices' screen saver, but for most screen savers.

How do I shut down or change my screen saver?
Click on [Start] [Settings] [Control Panel], and then double click on "Display." Click on [Screen Saver]. Use the drop down menu to either change the screen saver or shut it off by selecting "None."

rettaf
February 2nd, 2003, 2:12pm
Thanks...you truly are a guru! I knew how to do it just wondered why...guess I should have read the site more closely. I really thought the screen saver was cool but don't want to slow things down!

suzannek1
February 2nd, 2003, 11:04pm
YEAH TEAM!!!!!

55 and counting! My mother had breast cancer (clear for about 20 years), and her sister died from lung cancer (smoker). So, Current - hang in there on the quitting!

You guys are so fantastic! Thanks for this wonderful idea - I feel good about what I am doing, and how we will all help!

:smile3:

suzannek1
February 2nd, 2003, 11:15pm
Next neophite question - is my computer still working on this - even tho I logged out of the UD site?

Thanks!

tncorgi
February 2nd, 2003, 11:21pm
Today the screen saver project run from the Department of Chemistry at the University of Oxford and United Devices of Austin Texas passed an impressive milestone. There are now over TWO MILLION personal computers involved in the project with almost one million individual people in 226 countries.

Launched in April 2001 the project, devised and lead from the NFCR Center for Computational Drug Discovery in the Chemistry Department headed by Proof Graham Richards, has had its main goal the discovery of molecules which could be candidates for anti-cancer drugs. Such has been the response from the general public that billions of molecules have been screened against protein targets which play a role in the development of cancer. In addition a year ago potential blockers of anthrax were sought, with those results given to the US and UK governments.

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/cancer/news.html

A feature of Peter Kollman's research was his exploitation of the latest computational techniques to devise novel applications of the free energy perturbation method. He would certainly have seized upon the opportunities offered by massively distributed computing.

Here we describe the use of over a million personal computers to perform virtual screening of 3.5 billion druglike molecules against protein targets by pharmacophore pattern matching, together with other applications of pattern recognition such as docking ligands without any a priori knowledge about the binding site location.

http://members.ud.com/projects/cancer/proj_news_20021106.htm:eek:

groovyguru
February 2nd, 2003, 11:49pm
Originally posted by suzannek1
Next neophite question - is my computer still working on this - even tho I logged out of the UD site?

Thanks!

It works on it until the current work you downloaded is done. Then it will wait (if you are on a dial-up ISP), until you reconnect to the net. If you notice the task bad icon flashing, it is not working.

suzannek1
February 3rd, 2003, 1:54pm
Thanks groovyguru! I am now up to 12% done on my first task! I feel so good - contributing while sweeping!

Is there any way to get this posted at center top of home page? I always check latest 10 forums, and missed this for quite a while. I don't always check smaller print on right side - front and center would be SOOO cool!

:smile3:

suzannek1
February 3rd, 2003, 11:14pm
Happy and sad - happy that I'm up to almost 50% of the first task my PC has gotten to process - sad that in almost 24 hours no new OSL team members added!:(

Here's hoping some of our sweeps luck dusts over onto the research and we all win there !!!

tncorgi
February 9th, 2003, 8:50am
another good site helping with cancer~
Every day, come click on the "Climb to End Breast Cancer" button located at http://breastcancer.care2.com, up to once per day. Each click, a virtual step in our Climb, generates a donation, paid by advertising sponsors, to The Breast Cancer Fund's (TBCF's) programs to eliminate the environmental causes of breast cancer. Each sponsor has agreed to donate approximately $.005 per click. 100% of the revenue you generate will be donated to The Breast Cancer Fund.

STATUS~~~
Totals
Members (Rank) 56 (# 417)
Current Members 56
Retired Members 0
Total CPU Time(y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 4:198:01:22:09 (# 3,092)

tncorgi
February 14th, 2003, 9:09pm
Team Statistics
Statistics Last Updated: 02/13/2003 23:59:59 (UTC) [ 27 hour(s) ago ]

Totals
Members (Rank) 58 (# 404)
Current Members 58
Retired Members 0
Total CPU Time(y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 5:010:12:36:12 (# 2,836)

tncorgi
February 20th, 2003, 11:31pm
Statistics Last Updated: 02/19/2003 23:59:59 (UTC) [ 29 hour(s) ago ]

Totals
Members (Rank) 59 (# 399)
Current Members 59
Retired Members 0
Total CPU Time(y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 5:226:08:09:43 (# 2,565)
Points Generated (Rank) 739,690 (# 2,109)
Results Returned (Rank) 1,890 (# 5,861)
Averages

whirlarado
February 22nd, 2003, 3:33pm
I signed up too. I'm trusting in faith and McAfee my files won't be invaded!

tncorgi
February 23rd, 2003, 11:45pm
for an evening of bluegrass on Saturday, March, 8, 2003 beginning at 7:00 P.M.
Opening the show will be a Gospel Favorite in Jasper, GA:

The PARABLES

All proceeds from this event will be donated to the American Cancer Society as a part of the 2003 Relay for Life campaign.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/pickinoncancer/

tncorgi
March 2nd, 2003, 9:11am
Someone is diagnosed with breast cancer every 24 seconds.
2375552 people have been diagnosed with breast cancer since 5/11/01.

Eliminate environmental causes of breast cancer & stop this epidemic!
Click today--every step counts.

StarbucksAddict
March 2nd, 2003, 4:22pm
When I clicked on our team link today to look at some updated stats, this is what came up:

The site you are attempting to access was upgraded on February 5, 2003, and the link you are using is no longer valid. The new grid.org website is your single destination for large-scale research projects. Please use the links below to reach the main sections of the new website.

- grid.org home
- about grid.org
- getting started
- projects
- Stats
- Member services
- Forums
- Help

:confused:

groovyguru
March 2nd, 2003, 4:27pm
It works for me:

Statistics Last Updated: 03/01/2003 23:59:59 (UTC) [ 22 hour(s) ago ]

Totals
Members (Rank) 62 (# 388)
Current Members 62
Retired Members 0
Total CPU Time(y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 6:205:01:05:23 (# 2,204)
Points Generated (Rank) 864,272 (# 1,823)
Results Returned (Rank) 2,321 (# 5,014)
Averages
Avg. CPU Time Per Calendar Day (y:d:h:m:s) 0:018:10:09:44
Avg. CPU Time Per Result (y:d:h:m:s) 0:001:00:45:56
Avg. Points Per Hour of CPU Time 15.03576
Avg. Points Per Result 372.37053
Avg. Points Per Calendar Day 6,648.25
Avg. Results Per Calendar Day 17.85

StarbucksAddict
March 2nd, 2003, 4:40pm
Huh.. weird - what link are you using, groovy? If I click on

http://members.ud.com/services/team...8E-3132B0D67079

it changes to:

http://members.ud.com/err/404.htm

and I get the error message I described earlier.

Really confoozled now,
Star

groovyguru
March 2nd, 2003, 5:07pm
Group Stats: (http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=96B5A849-38C5-4830-9B8E-3132B0D67079)

LetMeWin
March 4th, 2003, 1:03am
Add one more to the OS team.:cheer:

aenthame
March 4th, 2003, 1:50am
Just joined up, kinda strange I was actually searching out of curiosity tonight for different DC things, and then voila when I decided to sweep for a while, I saw this post and decided to join up:)
Pretty cool what DC can do from seti, crypotography, genetics, protein folding(alzheimers etc..) to cancer... absolutely amazing.

Current
March 8th, 2003, 5:29pm
Members (Rank) 66 (# 366)
Current Members 66
Retired Members 0
Total CPU Time(y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 7:028:16:20:30 (# 2,047)
Points Generated (Rank) 933,234 (# 1,693)
Results Returned (Rank) 2,570 (# 4,663)
Averages
Avg. CPU Time Per Calendar Day (y:d:h:m:s) 0:018:23:56:37
Avg. CPU Time Per Result (y:d:h:m:s) 0:001:00:07:40
Avg. Points Per Hour of CPU Time 15.05014
Avg. Points Per Result 363.12607
Avg. Points Per Calendar Day 6,862.01
Avg. Results Per Calendar Day 18.90

We now have 66 members on our team. What I find AMAZING is that our combined computers have worked a total of over SEVEN years. Just think of how much more time we could get if we even had 1/4th of the total membership of O-S signed up. I am proud to be a part of this....O-S ROCKS!!!

meek1643
March 13th, 2003, 8:53pm
I just replaced and upgraded so I have signed up. Thank-you all. If not for a clinical trial I may not of been here to type this.

jaybat
March 13th, 2003, 9:39pm
Originally posted by mkerin
If not for a clinical trial I may not of been here to type this.

And that means . . . ?

meek1643
March 13th, 2003, 9:41pm
I have cancer

ckubiak
March 14th, 2003, 2:58am
I have been kind of spooked about having this run on my 'puter. I will now say that after checking this out I have now joined in memory of an ex's 4 year old daughter who died from cancer. That event also made me think of all the the others out there who can use our support.

jaybat
March 17th, 2003, 10:59am
Just curious, UD is running the cancer project and is also running a smallpox project. By default, you end up getting both tasks (I don't know if they alternate or what). How many of you have gone into your settings and removed the smallpox one?

(It's a choice at the UD site, a checkbox for both projects - you uncheck smallpox to concentrate on cancer or vice versa)

I thought a poll might be interesting, like

Cancer Only
Smallpox Only
Both
I have no idea what I'm running

But polls don't seem to be an option here (not that I can see anyway).

Current
March 17th, 2003, 12:19pm
I noticed that mine is running Smallpox right now. I don't know if it is switching back and forth or not. But I don't mind at all. Smallpox kills too.

:(

LetMeWin
March 17th, 2003, 12:53pm
Smallpox is running on mine too, I have noticed that it does switch between the two. I don't really mind which one is running since I belive both are important.

Nape
March 19th, 2003, 1:59am
Well, uh, I TRIED to join. I downloaded, but didn't sign in a member name and password. Now I can't figure out how to do it. Could anyone please help me with my computer illiteracy?:confused:
Nevermind. I figured it out. Count me in.:cheer:

TTFN41460
March 26th, 2003, 4:42pm
Count me in! #70

I'm new here but happy to join this team!!!

itsknotsew
March 27th, 2003, 11:13am
I just joined yesterday and have this thing on my puter but don't see my name on the member list. How long does it take to get your name on the list? And exactly how do you acquire the points for it? Is it time you spend on the puter or just whenever your puter's on?:confused: :confused:

groovyguru
March 27th, 2003, 12:44pm
If the UD job is running you will not be on some stuff until you post a result via internet, then overnight to summarize it at UD. So it might take a day or 3 to see yourself.

eleksa
March 27th, 2003, 1:36pm
Good idea! My computer is running smallpox right now. I knew that seti used this but at the time you could only run it on a mac so I forgot about it (have a PC). I was not aware that there was one for cancer. I have had 5 surgeries due to skin cancer. But it's gone now. A worthy use of our computers. Hope more people sign up.
Elaine

smartykat
March 28th, 2003, 2:07pm
Signed up yesterday. Sorry I waited so long but my computer has a history of crashing. I have been monitoring this thread since its inception and I see the program hasn't caused anyone any problems.....so......count me in!!!!
k (nervous Nellie) t.:cheer:

eleksa
March 28th, 2003, 5:50pm
Can someone repost this in the "last 10 posts" on the home page??? I would have thought more people would be willing to sign up for this. Perhapes a lot of members did not have a chance to see this thread. And actually I do not know under what catagory this thread is filed under so...I tried to locate it yesterday but could'nt find it. Just a suggestion it's for a good cause.
Elaine
:help:

Firehawk915
March 30th, 2003, 12:49pm
I now have 3 pc's running it by the end of the week i plan to have about 120

eleksa
March 30th, 2003, 3:52pm
That's wonderful Tom. Your 120 computers will be able to process a LOT of information. It took my poor old computer 3 day to process a packet of info for small pox now it is working on a cancer packet. The program lays in the background and you do not even know it is there. Just a FYI to other people out there when I loaded in the program it over road my screen saver. So I ended up with some molucules floating around. I happen to like my Matrix screen saver. So for those of you that don't know how to correct that here is the answer. Go start on you task bar at the bottom of your screen, settings, control panel,display, click the screen saver tab, then in the drop down menu find you favorite screen saver and hit apply!
Elaine

olivadon
April 6th, 2003, 1:25am
just now found this link but I am now part of the team!
Wonderful idea!! :cheer3:

JudyS
April 6th, 2003, 3:05am
Wish I had seen this thread earlier.........count me in and on board!

Brent
April 11th, 2003, 4:39am
Firehawk915, dude, you rock. That boost you gave the team has put us ever so close to breaking into the top 100 teams for daily CPU time, points and results. We've gone from 12 - 15,000 points a day to 20,000+. :cheer6:

http://www.grid.org/stats/teams/cpu_time_yesterday.htm?rsps=50&rscp=3

http://www.grid.org/stats/teams/points_yesterday.htm?rsps=50&rscp=3

http://www.grid.org/stats/teams/results_yesterday.htm?rsps=50&rscp=3

Brent

Brent
April 12th, 2003, 6:50am
Woohoo!

We cracked the top 100 yesterday in CPU time, points, and results:

http://www.grid.org/stats/teams/cpu_time_yesterday.htm?rsps=50&rscp=2

http://www.grid.org/stats/teams/points_yesterday.htm?rsps=50&rscp=2

http://www.grid.org/stats/teams/results_yesterday.htm?rsps=50&rscp=2

Brent

Current
April 12th, 2003, 10:06am
HOW WONDERFUL!!!!!!

We've come a long way on this, haven't we?

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

amyann16
April 19th, 2003, 11:12am
I've just joined :)

groovyguru
April 19th, 2003, 11:30am
I just passed the 1 year of CPU donated to cancer research! :cheer:

I've got my 2 work computers (1Ghz, 1.7Ghz), and 3 home computers (1Ghz, 800Mhz, 166Mhz) all working together as a team.

suzannek1
April 19th, 2003, 11:35am
GO AWESOME TEAM, GO!!!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Firehawk915
April 22nd, 2003, 11:04am
I think i have about 114 right now and most of them are between p4 1.8 and 2ghz I plan to add about another 25 next week if possible. I am excited because with in the next week I should be leading our team with all results. If anyone was interested I work for a public school system and have about 5 schools that I take care of. I have been installing it on all of the capable machines I run into. I guess i am cheating because i don't own all of the machines but it is for a good cause so i don't care. I lost my grandfather a few years ago to lung cancer. My grandmother is a breast cancer survivor so like most of us this hits close to home.

Katie Scarlet
April 22nd, 2003, 11:21am
Elaine,

There is a link on the main page on the top right.

Katie :)

BENTWISTED
April 22nd, 2003, 12:02pm
I THINK I GOT IT DOWNLOADED BUT THEN IT WHEN I TRIED TO JOIN THE OLS TEAM IT GAVE ME AN ERROR ARGH!:frown4: SO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I AM SUPPOSE TO DO NEXT?

NEVER MIND I ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION. JUST HAD TO PLAY WITH IT FOR A MINUTE. I AM MEMBER 81 OF OUR TEAM:fairy3:

jaybat
April 22nd, 2003, 12:32pm
Originally posted by Firehawk915
If anyone was interested I work for a public school system and have about 5 schools that I take care of. I have been installing it on all of the capable machines I run into. I guess i am cheating because i don't own all of the machines

I don't think UD has a problem with it as long as you have permission with the "owner" to install - I'd assume that would mean the principal for each school. A reasonably short explanation should be enough for him/her to say okay but there could be a problem if a principal finds out later about it.

Firehawk915
April 22nd, 2003, 3:09pm
I maintain all of the pc's so i put on them whatever i want. What i meant by cheating was that obviously i don't own 120 pc's only 5 of them actually belong to me.

Gomez
April 22nd, 2003, 3:29pm
I'm already a member (I killed SETI at home to run the canser software instead), but I'm not on the O-L Sweeps team. Is there a way to get on the team? I have 2 PCs running under my name right now.

Gomez
April 22nd, 2003, 3:32pm
Never mind, I joined just now #82.

BENTWISTED
April 22nd, 2003, 3:45pm
OK THIS MAY NOT BE THE SMARTEST QUESTION, BUT I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER TO IT. AFTER A WHILE MY COMPUTER GOES INTO A ENERGY SAVING MODE AND SHUTS ITSELF DOWN, BUT TO RESTART IT I JUST MOVE THE MOUSE. SO WHEN IT DOES THIS WILL I STILL BE WORKING ON MY TASK?:snowman:

Firehawk915
April 22nd, 2003, 10:08pm
If you have only your monitor set for sleep mode then you are fine but if the entire system goes into sleep standby or hibernate then chances are it isn't doing anything. All you need to do to change it is to change the power saving settings. One location you can change them is in your control panel another is the screen saver page in your display panel.

Firehawk915
April 23rd, 2003, 7:19am
We made the top 50 yesterday for results returned!!!!! Oh and i am leading our club with results cputime and points Wahoo. I just passed to 1 year 34 days!

BENTWISTED
April 23rd, 2003, 5:50pm
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Buttercup
April 27th, 2003, 7:07pm
:)

Firehawk915
April 29th, 2003, 9:30am
I will have over 2 years of cpu time by tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin5:

Firehawk915
May 6th, 2003, 7:17am
I now have 3 years and 10 days of cpu time and I am in the top 10000 for all categories. Heading for the top 100 I hope.

Firehawk915
May 11th, 2003, 4:02pm
I will have over 4 years of cpu time when the count refreshes tonight.

TNrina
May 11th, 2003, 4:35pm
Just joined.........;) ;) ;)

sweepmama
May 11th, 2003, 5:13pm
I see that no one here has had any problems but I have a very old home built PC 166mhz(?) It's crashed before and I had to replace the HD. Do ya'll think it will hurt my PC? I lost my mom to breast cancer not too long ago and would love to do this.

jklkj
May 14th, 2003, 7:31pm
I'd love to do this. My husband....the computer guru in this house nixed the idea. Yes, I had him read all the details. Is there anything to fear?

groovyguru
May 14th, 2003, 8:10pm
Nothing to fear at all.

I have been programming since 1975. The concept is reasonable. If he doesn't want it to interfere with daytime computer use, you can schedule it to only run from midnight until 6:00AM. I have donated over a year of computer time with no problems. Go for it.

Firehawk915
May 15th, 2003, 12:07am
I now have it running on 177 yes one hundered and seventyseven machines I am now averaging about a year of cpu time in a week. I am haveing no problems with any of the pc's i am running it on. I will not put it on a machine with lower than a 400mhz processor though. I haven't had time to test a lower end machine. I do not foresee any problems though. You should be fine every little bit helps.

Firehawk915
May 17th, 2003, 12:08pm
I now have over 5 years of cpu time and i am coming up quick on 1000000 points.

velvet49329
May 17th, 2003, 1:02pm
Ok guys,I need some help here!! I downloaded UD when we first started this,then I got a new computer. I put it on my new computer and then a storm blew out my new computer and I got a loaner. I just called and asked if I could keep the loaner in exchange for mine and they said yes. So,here's the problem----I downloaded UD on this computer and it signed me up for Smallpox research even though I used the same username and password. I can't figure out how to change it back to cancer research. Anyone know what I should do??

velvet49329
May 17th, 2003, 1:07pm
Nevermind-I figured it out!

dwndrgn
May 17th, 2003, 8:36pm
I just signed up. #86 on the team

Firehawk915
May 22nd, 2003, 7:46pm
over six years cpu time.

leigh
June 12th, 2003, 10:41pm
I just added myself to the OLS team. I was hoping my stats would be added to yours (I have been a member for a few months) but apparently not.

Nonetheless, I run GRID 24/7 so I hope it will add a little to the team!

Leigh

allie
June 16th, 2003, 5:53am
Woo Hoo - I signed up after a bit of research as I wasn't too sure about it.. but I like the idea!! It'd take a lot of explaining to do to my hubby (who is a computer "guru" as well and hates these types of things, lol) but oh well!! ;)

#90! :)

allie
June 16th, 2003, 3:51pm
Okay I am confused... Last night .. well early this morning I downloaded the program and it kept saying "Primary task is executing.. " and then a percentage (which was going up). I wake up this morning and find that it's doing that again.. I do have 136 pts for running for 6 hours.. so it has been doing something I think, but what is it doing when it is "executing" for so long??

Katie Scarlet
June 16th, 2003, 5:17pm
Some projects are longer and more involved than others... you might have already completed your first task and you might be on your way to your next one! Good Job!!!

Katie :)

clbrowni
June 16th, 2003, 5:44pm
#91! I feel a cure for smallpox is going to be found on my 'puter any minute now! :)
cindi

Firehawk915
June 20th, 2003, 2:58pm
I just broke into the top 1000 users for CPU time.

Member Statistics
Statistics Last Updated: 06/20/2003 00:00:00 (UTC) [ 1134 minute(s) ago ]
Totals
Total CPU Time (y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 11:033:15:06:06 (# 985)
Points Generated (Rank) 1,698,084 (#613)
Results Returned (Rank) 10,458 (#1,278)
Averages
Avg. CPU Time Per Calendar Day (y:d:h:m:s)
0:046:12:51:48
Avg. CPU Time Per Result (y:d:h:m:s) 0:000:09:17:28
Avg. Points Per Hour of CPU Time 17.47591
Avg. Points Per Calendar Day 19,518.20690
Avg. Points Per Result 162.37177
Avg. Results Per Calendar Day 120.20690
Miscellaneous
Last Result Returned (UTC) 06/20/2003 03:31:44 [ 15+ hour(s) ago ]
Device Installations 177

just need to break the top 1000 for results now I think i might be able to do it by the end of july
I am coming up quick on 2 million points

psalmstress
June 21st, 2003, 10:10pm
count another newbie in on this one, download was quick and painless even on my pokey ol' dialup :)

lfainma
June 27th, 2003, 12:05pm
Great idea! Good going

suzannek1
June 27th, 2003, 12:20pm
I've had mine on for months now and don't even remember it's there most of the time! Let's keep bumping this thread - with 10,000+ OLS members, we should be able to get LOTS done here!!!

Go Team!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

tjbinno
June 27th, 2003, 7:40pm
Here here! Joined months ago--have 122 days, over 68,000 points and it's all been PAINLESS. You absolutely do not realize it's running. Takes NOTHING away from your response or usage of your system.

groovyguru
July 21st, 2003, 11:09am
Woohoo! I finally made it to 2 years of CPU time donated this morning. Firehawk915 has almost 12 years!

If you are not signed up, read this thread and consider doing it. No pain, and maybe you can help save someone you love.

llabue
July 24th, 2003, 6:00pm
I just signed up. I am #97!

I too have lost members of my family and my friends to cancer. What a great idea to create a team.:cheer:

gcomstock
August 2nd, 2003, 6:48pm
Bump...

12,000+ members of Online Sweepstakes
...only 98 members on this project...

Gonna post a "come look here" message!

Cusmile
August 10th, 2003, 5:58pm
o-k....don't think I did it right. I can't seem to sign in, but, I downloaded and it looks like it is working cause it comes up when I am not using the puter. Can anyone help me?? Please? :confused: :confused: :confused:

pksoz
August 10th, 2003, 7:01pm
I just joined the team!!! We can now proudly boast 101 members!!!!!:cheer:

Cusmile
August 11th, 2003, 2:43pm
Ah, finally was able to figure it out, so I am number 103!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

PhoenixMommmy
August 12th, 2003, 5:24pm
Downloading now!!!!! Just found out my Gramma has border line stage 5 throat cancer!!! Can't pass this up!! !

tigress2b
August 12th, 2003, 5:38pm
OY VAY The guilt!!! Member 104 Just kidding Im in!! Lost my dad, aunt and several other family members and friends to cancer:mad:

Its time we kicked its butt!!!!

suzybeth
August 13th, 2003, 9:23pm
I signed on tonight! WoooHooo! What a great way to help in some way! Thanks for the info!:D

goldylox
August 20th, 2003, 8:04am
Great idea - With cancer you feel helpless. I lost my mother-in-law last year to cancer and my stepson (Age 11) was diagnosed with lymphoma in August 2002.

Never knew there was anything like this out there. Thanks Brent.

Mona

littledear
September 26th, 2003, 11:13pm
:highfive: This is wonderful! I am member 111. I just found out about this and joined right away. My mom has beat colon and breast cancer. My husband has small cell lung cancer which is very aggressive and he has only a very small chance of beating it. He has been fighting it since June 2003. If this helps just one person it is worth it. It is very devistating to the person with the cancer and to their family. Every time we go to the hospital for chemo I see some one with a loved one that isn't making it. It is a heartbreaking sight. If you can do this you should it may save your life someday in the future. :cheer3:

shayshay
November 16th, 2003, 3:16pm
Ive had this on my computer for such a long time now I forget its even there at all!

steelbarrow
November 16th, 2003, 3:41pm
Thanks Brent,a great site.
Bill(in the last of chemo treatments)

mlso
November 16th, 2003, 11:14pm
Just joined. I'm member #115.

mlso
November 16th, 2003, 11:40pm
Just had a thought ... do you know if this will be removed (and thus needed to be reloaded) when I run spyware (ad-aware)???

thanks

:) :)

Firehawk915
December 11th, 2003, 11:29pm
Run spybot it is better and no it will not be removed. Hey we need to get more people signed up. For everyone that is signed up put your work pcs on too if your company doesn't care. Check out my stats. I should be over 5 million points and over 32 years by the end of next week.

Member Statistics
Statistics Last Updated: 12/11/2003 00:00:00 (UTC) [ 1705 minute(s) ago ]
Totals
Total CPU Time (y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 29:067:23:06:28 (# 231)
Points Generated (Rank) 4,471,644 (#183)
Results Returned (Rank) 27,001 (#338)
Averages
Avg. CPU Time Per Calendar Day (y:d:h:m:s)
0:040:15:50:38
Avg. CPU Time Per Result (y:d:h:m:s) 0:000:09:28:08
Avg. Points Per Hour of CPU Time 17.48983
Avg. Points Per Calendar Day 17,067.34351
Avg. Points Per Result 165.61031
Avg. Results Per Calendar Day 103.05725
Miscellaneous
Last Result Returned (UTC) 12/11/2003 04:32:05 [ 24+ hour(s) ago ]
Device Installations 180

allie
December 11th, 2003, 11:57pm
Adaware should NOT remove this program, no. Spybot, Adaware - same things, should not for any reason remove this.

judyv01510
December 16th, 2003, 1:49am
I have 2 homes. Both have computers.one of them I only use about 3 days a month so I only have dial up there. Will this be any help? It certainly would be alot of time.

allie
December 16th, 2003, 6:19am
I have 2 homes. Both have computers.one of them I only use about 3 days a month so I only have dial up there. Will this be any help? It certainly would be alot of time.

I'd say whatever time you could put in would be helpful!! :cool2:

mlso
December 16th, 2003, 1:05pm
Thanks. I have it running, but haven't tried to run spyware since loading it. Now I know I can run it if I want.

mdinwv
March 8th, 2004, 5:54pm
Good idea. Anything that can help fight cancer is worth trying.

dolphee
March 8th, 2004, 11:48pm
My husband does SETI. I'd rather help cure a disease than look for aliens anyway!

MelBear
April 30th, 2004, 2:06am
Hi,
I'm new here and just came across this listing. Does anyone know if its still valid? I've tried to access the page with the numerous links on all the posts to no avail. I wold love to help

stinger
April 30th, 2004, 2:23am
I am skeptical on what it is actually doing, and if its really any help. And 2, how do I know that is the ONLY data which is being uploaded to their website? I would be very eager to download and install this program, but there is just too much to mystery.

littledear
April 30th, 2004, 7:17am
I have it on my computer and it has the information at the bottom of the screen about Oxford. I also believe it is ligit, It shows the work it's doing on the screen of your computer, when you aren't using it. It is based on chemical reactions within the body. If you remember back to Biology, all of the body functions can be reduced to equations, then different chemicals are also reduced to equations, then they run the reactions using math. To treat cancer they use chemicals that kill the cancer cells, unfortunately these chemicals also kill healthy cells and the body gets weaker, the cancer attacks the newest weak area and the cancer spreads to another place. My husband died of cancer March 31, 2004. It was a horrible terribly painful way to die. He was sick for nine months. My father just signed a do not resesitate order because he is also dying of cancer. I will investigate the ligit. of the site by writing to Oxford and get back to this thread. I ran spyware and it doesn't remove it. I also have window washer and that doesn't affect it.

steelbarrow
April 30th, 2004, 12:14pm
After 11 months of chemo and was ready to start radiation and then my doctors said"your not going to believe this....but your cacer free"(WOW)
All during chemo I entered many contests and won a lot of things that I didn't post(chemo).
Well now I have a new lease on life
Bill
PS
I had a very fast growing cancer...so I am luckier then one knows.

littledear
May 1st, 2004, 9:00am
Steelbarrow,
Way to go! Your right, you are one of the lucky ones. My husband had the fast growing small cell cancer too and they caught his too late.Stay healthy because cancer kills in the most horrible way anyone can imagine. There hasn't been a day that has gone by that I don't think of my wonderful husband and cry for all that he suffered just to die in the end anyway. Please everyone help us stamp out this horrible illness. Donate blood, donate platelets, volunteer one day a month at a local hospice, do SOMETHING! But give us a hand because every little bit helps! :cry2:

artmarcia
May 1st, 2004, 11:02pm
OLS is now up to 184 members. We are ranked #145. We could--SHOULD be #1.

I'm one of the new recruits. I notice no difference in the operation of my computer. Plus I figure if Brent checked it out and he knows much more about the workings of the internet than I do, then it is safe.

And it is so cool to watch my molecule being formed! I feel that with no background at all in science I am making a (OK-small!) contribution. But together, OLS makes a large contribution. With nearly 40,000 members at OLS--we definitely should be #1.

JULIE4104
May 1st, 2004, 11:44pm
Great idea--jeez took me this long to find this--will sign up when I get home as i am on a borrowed pc from now---my father died april 6, 2004 of cancer :worry: --it came as a great shock and surprise as we thought he had pancreatitis up until 4 days before he died. Unfortunately the dr who did his ulcer surgery in feb misssed it, he was in hospital for a month, came home froa few weeks, got sick again, returned to hospital for 5 days until I flew back to florida and removed him to a different hospital.. on friday night they did a surgery to supposedly remove an intestinal block only to discover all of his oragans were destroyed by cancer--april 4th took him to hospice, he died april 6th. :cry: wow--how could this cancer have been missed by the previous surgeons and hospital?? someone really dropped the ball!!! Soooo--I am in florida still helping my mother and when I finally get home (been here since feb but got home for 2 weeks--then back to fla) I will definately join!!! Thanks for the info!!!! Julie

luckysarah
May 1st, 2004, 11:48pm
I'm soo sorry to hear that Julie4104
I'm gonna sign up too rite now.
I hate cancer. :frown3:

mouse2u23901
May 1st, 2004, 11:51pm
I will be joining a little later this evening but I had a question. Earlier in the post's someone mentioned malignant melanoma. What is this type of cancer. It sounds very familiar to me. Does anyone know? Thanks!

OhSusannah
May 1st, 2004, 11:58pm
Just downloaded & installed prog!
Thanks for posting this, every little bit helps! :grin3:

littledear
May 2nd, 2004, 12:30am
Mouse, I believe it is the skin cancer that is melanoma. Julie, I am so sorry about your dad. Someone did drop the ball, and it is happening way too often. I think it is the HMO's that is causing this. My husband wasn't diagnosed as soon as he could have been either, and in the small cell fast growing cancer, that is enough to cause death. The HMO doc that first looked at my husband was paid full office fees as we did not have HMO. She skipped blood work and x-rays, not once but twice. He went to a different doctor, 80 days later and after tests was diagnosed with cancer. Eighty days could have saved his life. It has been a month since I lost him and I still cry every day. The hospitals are full of cancer patients and so are the hospices. Please, please help fight this! I know that there are many others out there that are feeling the same grief that I am. :cry2:

steelbarrow
May 2nd, 2004, 12:46am
Doctors may get a better detector for cancer in june,when Veridex a johnson & johnson subsidiary is expected to launch CELLSEARCH,a new test that can identify a Single tumor cell in a blood sample containing millions of healthy cells.It was initially approved by the FDA for the detection of metastatic breast cancer,but could used in the future be used to find other forms of cancer.
Hope this show a ray of hope for early detection.
Bill

JULIE4104
May 2nd, 2004, 1:36am
Littledear,
Soooo sorry to hear of your loss--i can feel your pain---it hasn't even been a month yet and I still cant get over it--my mom is worse--I have the job of handling all the affairs and if I show her any signs of weakness it makes it harder for her --so I try to keep my grief to myself. I understand how you are feeling and if you just want to vent or need a shoulder please dont hesitate to PM me--I'm always here!!! Julie

artmarcia
May 4th, 2004, 12:55am
We are gaining new OLS members for this project on a daily basis. Up to 188 members now. Do you think we'll reach 200+ before all the Premium member benefits kick in on May 15th?

We have just helped a young lady move into her own apartment--WE CAN FIGHT CANCER!

carp911
May 6th, 2004, 3:09pm
I just wanted to bump this up to keep people aware. My grandmother battled cancer for many years and just recently my cousin who is only 35 has been diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer. Let's all do what we can to help kick cancers a**.

pamcakes
May 6th, 2004, 11:20pm
hi, just a brief explanation of what a malignant melanoma is (from a former oncology nurse and melanoma survivor!). a melanoma is a tumor made up of melanin-pigmented cells (melanin is what gives color to our skin). typically a melanoma develops from from a nevus (mole or freckle) and consists of black masses of cells with a marked tendency to metastasis ( or spreading to other parts of the body). it's very important for us all to see a dermatologist for yearly screenings if you have a family history of melanoma, are light-eyed, fair haired, and freckled, and have had excessive exposure to the sun during childhood and teen years (esp. not having used sunscreen). folks with melanomas that are caught in the beginning stages have a 90% or so chance of being cured. Not so after the melanoma has metastasized (spread to internal organs). i feel very strongly about sun protection and dermatology screening.....i probably bug people to death when i do "mole patrol" here in santa cruz during the summers...but, i have had people come back and thank me for explaining to them the neccessity of skin checks and have caught several cases of undiagnosed melanomas. well, thanks for listening to my spiel....and remember, an ounce of prevention...lol.

Ravin
May 6th, 2004, 11:49pm
Its so sad that in so many cases there were mistakes made. My father passed away Sept 16th 2003 of cancer. After he was diagnosed, we found out that xrays from 5 years earlier showed spots on his lungs that no one told him about.
Due to his previous heart attacks before they could do surgery they wanted to make sure his heart could handle the surgery. The tests were misread, he was told his heart looked fine. He had the surgery, 3 days later he had a heart attack, 12 hours later he went into full cardiac arrest and was gone for 14 minutes. Due to the fact he was gone for so long he did suffer mind brain damage. He was just never the same. Then it was 3 months in and out of the hospital. They thought they had gotten all of the cancer, within 6 months it was back in the same spot as before, he was put in hospice, where a nurse gave him a overdose of morphine. He never got out of bed again, and went down hill fast. It was terrible to watch him go threw and all of the mistakes just made it worse.

littledear
May 8th, 2004, 9:10am
Oh Raven, I am so sorry for you and your family. That sounds like a malpractice suit to me. I would hate to think that more people are going to have the same thing happen to them by that same doctor. I was told that not diagnosing cancer for a period of nine months or longer is considered malpractice. I would look into it. Let's keep people aware and war against cancer. :cry2:

littledear
May 8th, 2004, 9:20am
PamJane, thanks for the info on skin cancer. I will start getting screened every year for that as well as everything else that I have done. Remember people you have to go to a doctor regularly in order to be diagnosed soon enough, and even that isn't always soon enough. So if you have any reaccuring health problems check it out, don't wait. I know some of you are thinking, yeah right, how can I afford this? After all it is expensive but you can, in most cases, cut back on something else. I know that there are always exceptions to this as well, so if you are real low on the income scale, try a university hospital, or a county health center, or watch for free screenings to be held in your area. :lendhand:

artmarcia
May 10th, 2004, 10:58pm
OLS is now up to 189 members and are ranked #122. Do you think we could get over 200 members and be ranked #100 or higher by the end of May? We are up FIVE members and 23 ranking position points since May 1st.

It's not hard--you don't even know the program is running in the background, except every once in awhile you get a glimpse of YOUR molecule model being formed.

We CAN DO THIS!

LET'S DO IT!!

:cheer7: :cheer7: :cheer7:

AlliGator2
May 11th, 2004, 12:11am
I just joined too. My mother died of pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. My sister-in-law also died two years ago of cancer. I also have a couple of friends who have been stricken with cancer and are fighting for their lives now. I want to do what I can to stop cancer in its tracks. Thanks for coming up with this way in which most of us can help fight these dreaded diseases with so little effort. I was a bit leary at first about downloading something like this onto my computer (although I knew that Brent would not steer us wrong - I was still a little scared to download) but after reading his post, along with the posts so many of you that I respect here at OLS, and seeing that y'all had also joined in on this fight, I knew I had to do it, that it was the right thing to do. I pray that we can make a difference.

spacecherry
May 11th, 2004, 12:30am
I may have already posted regarding this, but I just want to thank others for sharing their stories of loved ones who are or were battling cancer. My grandfather passed away last year from lung cancer, and I still struggle with his passing daily. Though there isn't anything we can do now for those we've lost to cancer (except keep their memories alive), we can take comfort in knowing that we are making a great contribution to future generations.

beckpal
May 11th, 2004, 3:50pm
I just joined, ashamed that it took me so long. My sister is a breast cancer survivor!

artmarcia
May 11th, 2004, 10:39pm
Up to 191 members as of today--up 2 from yesterday!

Keep it up folks--Let's make OLS #1 in fighting cancer!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

artmarcia
May 13th, 2004, 9:39am
OK, I'm just a little confused--LOL.

I reported that OLS had gone up from #145 to #122 in just a few days. Not exactly.

In number of members we are ranked #143 with 191 members. In number of points generated we are ranked #123.

We are doing great--there are thousands of teams. But we could be doing even better. We have nearly 40,000 members of OLS now. You can win a 3 month premium membership to OLS on a weekly basis by participating. (52 weeks per year, 191 members--not bad odds!) You don't even know the program is running in the background. And you are helping in the fight against cancer--best reason of all to join!

artmarcia
May 14th, 2004, 6:39pm
We are gaining new members everyday. OLS has 194 members now--up 2 since yesterday. We are ranked #141 in members out of thousands of teams--pretty impressive.

But we could be doing even better. Can we reach a goal of 200 members by the end of May?

littledear
May 16th, 2004, 12:12am
Lets keep this alive with our posts. Every time one of us posts a message different members are online to see it in the last ten posts list on the entry page. I just lost my dearest friend, my husband to cancer and my dad is not expected to survive more than 30-60 days. My mom has been free of colon cancer for 8 years, and that one is a big killer because most people don't catch it in time. She has also beat breast cancer. Some people do get well. Lets increase that number by helping those that are still fighting. Remember you can help by donating your blood and time as well. :help:

hppy28
May 17th, 2004, 2:07pm
I joined the ols team yesterday and have been running the program since then.
I just found out last week that my mother has colon cancer. As a matter of fact she had a CT scan last Friday and is at the surgeons office probably getting the results as I write. The mass was found during her colonoscopy last Tuesday. My mother and myself are both nurses and It is unbelieveable that she did not show any signs except fatigue.
Now we wait.....Pray.....and hope. I'm scared. :(

artmarcia
May 23rd, 2004, 2:05pm
We're up to 195 members now--and counting!

:supstar:

Firehawk915
June 2nd, 2004, 9:01am
I just checked my stats and in a little over a year I have done over 50 years of reasearch.

carp911
June 10th, 2004, 11:18am
I wanted to bump this up and get more people involved. My cousin was diagnosed earlier this year and has been undergoing experimental treatments. I just found out today that they have stopped his treatments and given him 6 weeks to live. He's a 35 yr. old father of 2, so cancer does really suck.

couponsnsamples
June 12th, 2004, 8:32pm
someone please post a new link so i can sign up on this team...each time i click on the link in the earlier post its says its been updated and link no longer works...............

KASPERS1
August 1st, 2004, 11:48pm
This link works:
I just copied from another announcement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fransrainbow
HELP!

I went to the web site to download this program because (this sounds like a great idea). When I clicked on "Join this team", it brought up a box wanting my member name and password. I can't find where I set up my name and password on the site.

Can somebody help me please?

Here you go!: http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allie
Mama to K&C - my 1.5 yr old terrors
And the Jelly Bean - our little girl, due in August!

milo
August 2nd, 2004, 2:19am
I just joined! :clap: :clap:

Brought us up to 201 members. Would've done this sooner if I'd been aware of it. Let's keep bumping this thread. I'm certain we can increase our team size dramatically if members are knowledgible of its existence. Who's life hasn't been touched by cancer - unfortunately?

Thanks, Brett for starting this and to all who have joined our team!

MrsM
August 2nd, 2004, 8:20am
I would like to do this too but I have no memory left in my computer to download any more programs. Sorry, I would if I could.

cooterturtle
August 2nd, 2004, 9:00am
I just joined but I don't see my name in the member list. :cry2:

Chowsetter
August 2nd, 2004, 9:56pm
I'm in

margmar59
August 2nd, 2004, 10:20pm
I just joined. Were is the members list?? :clap:

milo
August 3rd, 2004, 12:29am
I thought i saw your name on page 5?

cancer sucks
August 5th, 2004, 6:08am
Since everyone on this post agrees with the phrase.....
Check out this website
www.cancersucks.com

FoxfireKid
August 5th, 2004, 4:50pm
Thanks for your concern with combatting this dreaded disease

pisces12
August 7th, 2004, 10:57am
OLS has 48,085 members as of this morning, yet only 205 have joined us in the fight against cancer. I would like to put out a challenge to increase our ranks by at least 10,000. Won't you all just take a few minutes out to read all about how easy it is and come on board. I know that most of us have at some point been touched by this disease either through family or friends and with your minimal contribution of unused PC resources we could find better treatments or a cure much faster. Please join us!!!

As many of you may already know, our site has a United Devices distributed computing team. Those of us who participate install a program on our computer(s) that crunches data that helps researchers search for drugs to treat cancer. By splitting amazingly complex problems up into tiny work units, and dividing those work units among millions of personal computers, researchers are able to do things today that were impossible to even imagine until recently.

Grid.org (United Devices)
http://www.grid.org/

Online-Sweepstakes.com Team Page (click to join)
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/...8E-3132B0D67079

Top 1000 UD Teams
http://statsman.ww-testsites.co.uk/...html/index.html

Online-Sweepstakes.com Team Stats (another source)
http://statsman.ww-testsites.co.uk/.../html/1800.html

Our own self-maintained stats page in the Announcement forum (updated every week or two)
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/f...ead.php?t=45426

Here's a great article about distributed (or grid) computing in general. United Devices is mentioned specifically:

Virtual Supercomputers Join Hunt for New Drugs
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...dc&sid=95573503

Quote:
"When you turn on so much power, science guys who have limited their science based on real budgets and departmental boundaries and everything else really have to rethink what is truly possible," said Paul Kirchoff, vice president of marketing at United Devices, a Texas firm whose software makes grids run.

United Devices (UD) rents out time on a commercial grid which it assembled from 7,000 personal computers, a network that Kirchoff said ranked among the world's top eight supercomputers.

That is dwarfed by the 2.5 million computers hooked up to a global grid (www.grid.org) run by UD that crunches numbers for purely humanitarian causes, including the search for drugs to treat cancer, smallpox and anthrax.

A lot of the grid's machines -- half at big companies, half in individual homes or offices -- get turned off at night or are portables that go on or off the network, Kirchoff said, but the grid in theory has peak power of just over three petaFLOPS.

"To put that into perspective, it would be about 23 times the top 10 supercomputers in the world combined in terms of power. It is truly phenomenal," he said.

UD accepts only non-commercial projects for that giant grid, which depends on corporate sponsors to help defray costs.

The grid approach works especially well for screening tens of millions of known chemicals compounds to see if their shape lets them attach themselves to -- and thus effectively switch off -- proteins that are known to cause disease.

This whittles down huge chemical libraries to a few dozen promising compounds to be tested in animals and humans.

The grid.org search for smallpox drugs, for example, reduced Oxford University's library of 35 million compounds to 45 likely molecules in five months, a task that would have cost up to $75 million on the cheapest conventional hardware, Kirchoff said.

I don't know about anybody else, but I feel very proud of ourselves for participating. As a team, we have combined for more than 90 years of CPU time, more than 70,000 work units completed, and more than 13,500,000 points which currently ranks us #129 out of 38,000+ teams. On any given day, our team alone is responsible for about 1 out of every 1,000 hours of CPU time, points and results returned over the entire grid- a fairly significant contribution, IMO.

Half of our points come from one person, firehawk915 who installed the UD Agent on a whole network of computers (100+) he administers at a school district. Currently, 200,000 of the ~300,000 points our team earns in a typical week come from firehawk915 alone. The rest of us are only pulling in about 100,000 points a week combined.

It's a good cause and I'd like to see our team continue to move up strongly in the rankings. In order to encourage more people to join our team and as a way of saying thanks to everyone who participates, I'm going to start giving away a 3 month OLS membership once a week to an active team member.

Every Sunday night, I'm going to randomly select a team member. Then, using the publicly available stats on the UD web site (Grid.org), I'm going to check and see if that team member has returned a result (work unit) in the last 2 weeks (the last 336 hours). If they have, that member will win a 3 month OLS membership. If not, another team member will be randomly selected. The process will continue until a winner is found. The weekly winner's name will be posted in the Announcement forum underneath this original post and will have 30 days to claim their prize by sending me a PM.

Sound good?

Online-Sweepstakes.com Team Page (click to join)
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/...8E-3132B0D67079

To discuss this post please go here:
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/f...ad.php?t=118976

Brent

cooterturtle
August 7th, 2004, 11:45am
I thought i saw your name on page 5?

You're right, thank you milo9282002! :gvibes:

milo
August 7th, 2004, 9:29pm
cooterturtle - You're very welcome! :smile9:

Holstrom4
September 6th, 2004, 7:44am
I just got on the team yesterday! My Dad is going through Chemo and Radiation right now, so whatever I can do to help is worth it. Dawn