PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Victims to Get $2K Debit Cards

pechuna
September 7th, 2005, 1:10pm
"The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced."

aila
September 7th, 2005, 1:20pm
they had it on the news that many of the people went to collect their debit cards but was told no one knew anything about it.

so much for organization.

LindaK
September 7th, 2005, 4:59pm
So what's your point Pechuna, $2,000 in their designer clothes pocket, does that bug you. Just wait until they get around to the real victims compensation fund. If 9/11 deserved it so do these people, the government failed them, and the taxpayers will pay for it. It's what we deserve for voting such incompetent people into office (both parties).

carogonza
September 7th, 2005, 9:40pm
they had it on the news that many of the people went to collect their debit cards but was told no one knew anything about it.

so much for organization.
Why doesn't that shock me? :worry:

mrsdoctorgirlfriend
September 7th, 2005, 9:43pm
Why doesn't that shock me? :worry:

My understanding was it was leaked to the media before the official annoucement came out this afternoon. The news reports I heard before FEMA announced it all had a disclaimer pending the official announcement.

mokeefe
September 7th, 2005, 9:46pm
I wish to GOD somebody would send me a $2000 giftcard. I'm the victim of a natural disaster too! It's rainin' bills here and $8.00 an hour won't pay 'em!

MsJellyAngel
September 7th, 2005, 11:32pm
Is this $2k all these people will be eligible for? Being serious here, it cost that much, depending on where you live, just to begin the process of renting an apartment after first and last month's rent and a deposit.

Also, why only the adults? Ok, the "what about the kids?" phrase, but all these children, babies, and teenagers need clothing too. The young babies have somewhat different needs than the adults, as they drink from bottles-not cups that everyone can share. They need a safe area, at the minimum a travel crib or playpen. Adults can wrangle up a blanket and sleep on the floor if necessary.

I have not really developed an opinion on the $2k debit cards just yet as I don't quite understand their purpose and if there is to be more assistance to help these people on their feet, but those were just thoughts and questions I am curious about.

lilreddevil38
September 7th, 2005, 11:32pm
I wish to GOD somebody would send me a $2000 giftcard. I'm the victim of a natural disaster too! It's rainin' bills here and $8.00 an hour won't pay 'em!

But, at least you have a roof over your head, computer and internet connection and you haven't lost everything you own.

kris