PDA

View Full Version : New Feature - Shazam!

Brent
March 13th, 2005, 3:43pm
I've added a new FAQ entry describing Shazam!:
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/faq.php?faq=mysweeps_faq#faq_whatis_shazam

I've also included some troubleshooting information and tips on using it, most of which summarizes what has already been discussed in the many Shazam!-related threads that have popped up in the forums. If anyone finds any errors, typos, inconsistencies or anything I left out, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I've also changed a couple of things about how Shazam! works.

At first, I purposely had Shazam! setup to re-use any Shazam!-opened windows if they were left open instead of closed. I figured that most people would close each window after entering a sweep. But I also thought that it would make things easier if you could just reuse the Shazam!-opened windows instead of closing each of them. So I set it up so that you could do either or- if you closed all the windows, Shazam! would simply open up new windows; if you left the windows open, Shazam! would just re-use them.

It sounds good in theory, but it just didn't work that way as well as I hoped. Re-using Shazam!-opened windows caused more confusion than anything else. Tabs were never re-used in the Mozilla browser. Some people would leave one or two windows open (not intending for them to be re-used) and Shazam! would re-use those while opening new windows for everything else. This would throw the Shazam!-opened windows out of their MySweeps page order.

Therefore, I changed Shazam! so that it will now open a new window for every unique sweep. The only time a window will be re-used now, will be if you leave a Shazam!-opened window open and the same sweep it was originally opened for is opened again via Shazam!. In other words, if you Shazam! the exact same page of sweeps twice, the windows will be re-used (if left open) the second time you hit Shazam! because each unique sweep will open in its own unique window and those unique windows are already open. If, and only if, a sweep's own unique window is already open, it will be re-used.

The second change I made was to the way the number of sweeps per page works. You can adjust the number of sweeps displayed per page on the Member Options page: http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/members/options/

You can find a link to the Member Options page in the Navigation Menu in the upper-right corner of any web page on OLS. Before last night, the link was only in the Navigation Menu in the sweepstakes and contest directory, but I changed it so the Navigation Menu as well as the site links at the bottom of every page are now exactly the same in both the forums and sweeps directory.

Anyway, now if you have the number of sweeps per page set to anything below 15 (5 or 10), the only pages on OLS that will display the 5 or 10 sweeps per page will be any Shazam! enabled MySweeps page. Every other page on OLS will display 15 sweeps per page. Before last night, if you had to change the number of sweeps per page to 5 or 10 in order to use Shazam!, you would see 5 or 10 sweeps displayed on every OLS page which could make it a real pain in the arse to browse OLS. Changing the number of sweeps per page to a number over 15 (20 - 50) will still work as expected- the number of sweeps you see per page (on every page) will be the number you selected.

Why Shazam!? I don't know, why not? Shazam! was the first thing I thought of when I started working on it. I was thinking about calling it something else, but Shazam! seems to have stuck.

I could certainly add Shazam! to other pages of OLS (like the expired soon section for example). But I think Shazam! only makes sense when 1) every sweep on a page is of the same entry frequency and 2) every sweep on a page is one in which you actually want to enter. If I added Shazam! to the expiring soon pages that only display sweeps with the same entry frequency (Single, Daily, Weekly, etc.) for example, that would be great except for the fact that some people would just blindly enter every sweep because it's there. That's something I don't particularly want to encourage. I'm not opposed to the idea of adding Shazam! to other pages/sections of the site mind you, I just want to be smart about it.

Currently , there is no reason why you can't use Shazam! to enter all of your sweeps. You can selectively browse through any part of the sweeps directory and chose which sweeps you want to enter by adding them to MySweeps. Once in MySweeps, you can use Shazam! to enter them. If you normally enter your single entries by going through the expiring soon pages a day or two before they expire, for example, you can just add the sweeps you want to enter to MySweeps first, and Shazam! them all at once later. Because we now save sweeps in MySweeps once they expire (premium members only), you'll have a permanent record of which sweeps you entered, when, and how many times.

The potential problem with that method, of course, is that there is no current way to either display or sort sweeps in MySweeps so that you can easily distinguish sweeps that have been newly added to MySweeps or sweeps that need to be entered. There are a few things you could do to workaround it a bit, but there's no sure-fire way to separate out the sweeps you need to enter versus the sweeps you've already entered- yet. Once MySweeps does have this capability, I can't see any really good reason to add Shazam! to any other OLS pages.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments on Shazam!.

<i>Did you know you can search specifically in Expired MySweeps just like you can search specifically in MySweeps?</i>

Brent

Cybrlee
March 13th, 2005, 3:57pm
thanks!

LetItRide
March 13th, 2005, 3:58pm
Love the way you've got it set up Brent.....Keep up the super work & I can't wait to see what's new around the corner!

amyshulk
March 13th, 2005, 4:10pm
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/faq.php?faq=mysweeps_faq#faq_whatis_shazam
At first, I purposely had Shazam! setup to re-use any Shazam!-opened windows if they were left open instead of closed. I figured that most people would close each window after entering a sweep. But I also thought that it would make things easier if you could just reuse the Shazam!-opened windows instead of closing each of them. So I set it up so that you could do either or- if you closed all the windows, Shazam! would simply open up new windows; if you left the windows open, Shazam! would just re-use them.

It sounds good in theory, but it just didn't work that way as well as I hoped. Re-using Shazam!-opened windows caused more confusion than anything else. Tabs were never re-used in the Mozilla browser. Some people would leave one or two windows open (not intending for them to be re-used) and Shazam! would re-use those while opening new windows for everything else. This would throw the Shazam!-opened windows out of their MySweeps page order.

Therefore, I changed Shazam! so that it will now open a new window for every unique sweep. The only time a window will be re-used now, will be if you leave a Shazam!-opened window open and the same sweep it was originally opened for is opened again via Shazam!. In other words, if you Shazam! the exact same page of sweeps twice, the windows will be re-used (if left open) the second time you hit Shazam! because each unique sweep will open in its own unique window and those unique windows are already open. If, and only if, a sweep's own unique window is already open, it will be re-used.

<i>Did you know you can search specifically in Expired MySweeps just like you can search specifically in MySweeps?</i>

Brent

You actually read something I wrote? And fixed it? :cloud9: AWESOME!!! :cheer:
I get so little feedback here, I'm truly surprised. :laugh:
I just did my dailies, and I made sure I did all the referrals before I shazam'ed the next 25, and noticed the change - BRAVO!!! I love shazam, and think it's the PERFECT name, but I'm curious - what was the other choice?

Brent, your dedication and innovation are why I am glad I went premium. :grad:

amy

FaithHopeJoy
March 13th, 2005, 4:12pm
Shazam is fantastic!!! I love it. It saves me a lot of time and I love saying "shazam" each time I click on it. It makes sweeping fun again for me. :)
I to agree it would be nice to be able to distinguish between the newly added sweeps. I noticed that one day I was using shazam. I now quickly scroll through the page and look at the dates I last entered before I click shazam to see which one might be new for the day so I don't enter twice.

Thanks for all your hard work!

ruth

medictom
March 13th, 2005, 4:23pm
Thank you Brent!!! This option is awesome.....fantastic....spectacular, okay but seriously, thank you for making this site more refreshing with each corner we round.

lucky13
March 13th, 2005, 4:30pm
:halo: You are doing a super job on this site! THANKS for all your time and hard work!

Vicky
March 13th, 2005, 4:31pm
Thank you Brent. I was trying to put my finger on this: The potential problem with that method, of course, is that there is no current way to either display or sort sweeps in MySweeps so that you can easily distinguish sweeps that have been newly added to MySweeps or sweeps that need to be entered. There are a few things you could do to workaround it a bit, but there's no sure-fire way to separate out the sweeps you need to enter versus the sweeps you've already entered- yet. Once MySweeps does have this capability, I can't see any really good reason to add Shazam! to any other OLS pages.
to tell you about it but of course you were already aware anyway. :) :gvibes:

Scibba
March 13th, 2005, 4:33pm
Shazam! pretty much fits.

I love how it works and would probably only use it for MySweeps daily, 24-hour, weekly, monthly. I wouldn't see needing it for single entries. Usually most people don't want to enter all of the single that are expiring anyway.

I think it's great how it is! Thank you so much!

~Shannon

barton
March 13th, 2005, 4:33pm
Brent, I can only imagine how difficult this was to set up and I amongst many, so appreciate your efforts on our behalf. Many thanks.

legaleagle
March 13th, 2005, 4:35pm
Brent,

:smile9: I have never tried to communicate with you...either by email or by a post. But today, there you are, explaining further something that has really made sweeping even more fun. So today seemed like a good day to say Hi.

I thought you were brilliant for coming up with the name Shazam...I just assumed you sat around and pondered...deeply, like "The Thinker". Oh, well, it was a nice illusion. I guess your way makes more sense, that it just popped into your head. That is what I think each time I use it....damn, Shazam, slam bam, thank you, maam....a whole lot of fun.

Joyce

Nana's Angels
March 13th, 2005, 4:40pm
Many Thanks for your hard work, it so worth being premium for all you do!!!! :gvibes:

Kimberly Kay
March 13th, 2005, 4:47pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/SosaLover/TY/alpha_thankyou-flower.jpg ...for Everything!!

Kimberly Kay :halo:

steelbarrow
March 13th, 2005, 4:58pm
GREAT JOB!!Thank you :)

samamfee
March 13th, 2005, 8:02pm
oh brent honey i just read that entire letter and now my head hurts................. i appreciate your hard work but i still will just enter one at a time. if i can get my son aka..my computer geek...to read this he may be willing to explain to me or show me how to apply this. thank you on behalf of all the old farts on ols that are not pooter savvey :supstar:

LeslyS
March 13th, 2005, 8:10pm
i think SHAZAM was appropriate...

could you imagine hitting a button that said 'BADA-BING BADA-BOOM'?

or, there could be others...LOL

ldac38
March 13th, 2005, 8:13pm
I love it.... thanks for your hard work!!

firebird
March 13th, 2005, 8:30pm
BRENT,

I'VE READ YOUR NOTES RE SHAZAM AND I CHANGED MY PER SWEEPS TO 20 A PAGE BUT STILL ONLY GET 2 (OR AT MOST 3) TO COME UP USING SHAZAM. I USE AN OLDER LAPTOP WITH A LIMITED AMOUNT OF MEMORY TO ENTER SWEEPS. DOES SHAZAM REQUIRE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MEMORY TO MAKE IT FULLY FUNCTIONAL?

GREAT IDEA AND GREAT NAME!! WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USE THIS FUNCTION AS INTENDED. PLEASE HELP AND ADVISE.

THANKS
FIREBIRD
:cheer7:

Chinya
March 13th, 2005, 8:34pm
Shazam? It's amazing, simply wonderful.

I am continually astonished by the quality and value of this website, and I am in awe of your skill. Thank you for making this website such a joy to participate in; my membership was a great investment.

Thanks again! :clap: :clap: :toast: :cheer: :cheer:

hope2910
March 13th, 2005, 8:39pm
Thanks for Shazam. I thoroughly love it. I can enter a lot more sweeps now. You are a computer genius.

sweeps_4_us
March 13th, 2005, 8:45pm
Brent,

Thank you for all the "Extra's" that you do for everyone here! :)

kanecomp
March 13th, 2005, 8:49pm
I am a huge TAGS (The Andy Griffith Show) fan, so SHAZAM! is a great name. Couldn't be more appropriate.

Brent
March 13th, 2005, 10:11pm
I'VE READ YOUR NOTES RE SHAZAM AND I CHANGED MY PER SWEEPS TO 20 A PAGE BUT STILL ONLY GET 2 (OR AT MOST 3) TO COME UP USING SHAZAM. I USE AN OLDER LAPTOP WITH A LIMITED AMOUNT OF MEMORY TO ENTER SWEEPS. DOES SHAZAM REQUIRE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MEMORY TO MAKE IT FULLY FUNCTIONAL?

GREAT IDEA AND GREAT NAME!! WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USE THIS FUNCTION AS INTENDED. PLEASE HELP AND ADVISE.
Either you have a pop-up blocker on (you might be able to hear the windows attempting to open like many others have) or your computer may not be able to handle 20 windows at a time. You might want to try and reduce your sweeps per page down to 5, and see if that works. If it does, you could gradually increase your number of sweeps per page until it doesn't work anymore, at which time you will know your computer's limit.

Thank you everyone. :)

Brent

fiercekitty30
March 13th, 2005, 10:36pm
Thank you sooooo much for Shazam!! I actually have time to enter all the sweeps I want. Thanks for your hard work. :cheer7:

dgeeze
March 14th, 2005, 12:14am
I am using Firefox & love the tab browsing. For some reason I can't get shazam to open new tabs. I get new windows. I have downloaded the tabbrowser preference extension as recomended. I am assuming I have a setting that is not correct. Any ideas? Thanks Brent for all of your hard work!!

Vicky
March 14th, 2005, 7:47am
Firebird, You can also just open up two OLS pages with 5 sweeps a piece and Shazam them both if you like to have more sweeps load up at once. :)

altamoon
March 14th, 2005, 9:11am
I gather 'Shjazam' is a 'premium only' benefit. Sounds soooooo great. Very cool!!! Looking forward to sign up....just another month.

Wait to go Brent and Team!!!

amyshulk
March 14th, 2005, 9:38am
I gather 'Shjazam' is a 'premium only' benefit. Sounds soooooo great. Very cool!!! Looking forward to sign up....just another month.

Wait to go Brent and Team!!!
Yep - one of many mysweeps perks that (to me) make the decision to go green an easy one. :gvibes: You are only the second person I've ever wanted to gift, but unfortunately it looks like you'll be able to swing it far sooner than I would at present. :frown3: But, I will send you good vibes, and hope the days go by fast for you :gvibes:

amy

Blueslady
March 14th, 2005, 10:13am
I love the new Shazam! feature! It makes entering soooo much faster. DH had the newest and fastest computer between the 2 of us and decided to trade with me last night just so this new feature would work even quicker for me! On my old computer, even with DSL I was only able to open 5 at a time. With hublet's computer, I can now open up to 15! I was having a small problem last night but figured out I had not disabled a pop up blocker, now all is right in my little world! Thanks Brent! I bow to your "geekness"! :laugh:

mcclave
March 14th, 2005, 3:24pm
I deleted my previous post cause it wasn't very nice! I clicked on the link that you gave us Brent, and it opened one blank IE page after another I couldn't get it to stop at one point it was up to 31 and still going. I was right clicking and closing group but was barely keeping up it just kept going and going. I had to turn off my computer to get it to stop.

I am using AOL dial-up and think I will just do it the old fashioned way till all this is figured out, I am not savey enough to be much help!! Seems like a great feature though! Looking forward to taking part, Thanks!!

nursing student
March 14th, 2005, 3:33pm
I Love Shazam!!!!!!!! :jump: :jump: :jump:

lvanhook
March 14th, 2005, 3:35pm
Thanks Brent!!!! I love Shazam!!!! :) :) :)

neenie56091
March 14th, 2005, 3:53pm
I have a comment....I love you Brent!!! No, seriously I love you!! :rofl3:

Shazam is awesome. My husband has stopped considering divorce now that Shazam has cut my sweeping time in half!!!!

Thanks so much. :smile9:

ww65barb
March 14th, 2005, 4:10pm
Brent -- you are the greatest. :cool2: Even this ole "technically challenged" computer user can use and LOVES Shazam!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. :hugs:

jdelzer8
March 14th, 2005, 4:12pm
Once again Brent thank you for making this a great place to be. My biggest problem so far has been waiting so long to go premium. A small price for great rewards
Thanks and keep up the good,no, make that great work.

intrigued19
March 14th, 2005, 6:59pm
The Shazaam is the shinizzle!!!!!!!!! ba-da-da-da-da...I'm lovin' it!

carcon
March 14th, 2005, 8:40pm
Thanks so much, I just discovered it yesterday and tried it today. I think I had too many per page but I lowered them to 5 because today not all of them opened and I had trouble remembering which ones I did and didn't do.
I'm sure it will be much easier with 5 per page and soooooo much faster especially with dial up which I am temporarily using (I'm used to cable and the slowness was driving me crazy!) :jump:

dpwwin
March 14th, 2005, 8:59pm
Your shazam is awesome!!! Thank You, Thank YOu, Thank You. Cut my entry time in half! You do a wonderful job.

zolysr
March 14th, 2005, 9:16pm
Love Shazam, Brent. Great job. I don't know why we have so many complainers in this site. It is the greatest.

Shake-Man
March 14th, 2005, 10:27pm
As I've said before, Shazam! is awesome, and I can see it being the "straw that broke the camel's back" for anyone struggling with the decision or whether or not to go premium. I do have one question, though, which someone else mentioned in passing the other day. I have several sweeps in "My Sweeps" that I don't enter everyday, whether it's because they are such a hassle or whatever. Would there possibly be a way to select the "must enter" sweeps so that they are the only ones that open with Shazam!? I don't know what all would be involved to get that to work, but it would be a great addition to an already stellar feature.

vosshens
March 14th, 2005, 11:57pm
Hi everyone,
I have read through the FAQ and most of the posts here on the subject of Shazam. I have added online-sweepstakes.com to the list of allowed sites on my pop-up blockers but STILL cannot get the shazam feature to work. I only get the last sweep listed on the my-sweeps page and have only 5 listed per page now. Am I an idiot or what? Any help would be appreciate as it sounds like I am missing out on a great feature!
Thanks!

amyshulk
March 15th, 2005, 12:00am
As I've said before, Shazam! is awesome, and I can see it being the "straw that broke the camel's back" for anyone struggling with the decision or whether or not to go premium. I do have one question, though, which someone else mentioned in passing the other day. I have several sweeps in "My Sweeps" that I don't enter everyday, whether it's because they are such a hassle or whatever. Would there possibly be a way to select the "must enter" sweeps so that they are the only ones that open with Shazam!? I don't know what all would be involved to get that to work, but it would be a great addition to an already stellar feature.
I know we were talking last year about a possible feature that would allow us to sort by our own specific parameters - like having all the instants first, or how we rate them, or whatever you choose - but I'm not sure if it's actually doable? Never heard from the PTB's.

In fact, I would much rather have the rating feature be something that only showed what I rated - I couldn't care less what others think, since it's so subjective. Then we could easily rate 5's to those we did daily, and assign lower numbers to the others - whatever works for each of us. Since highest rating is already in the drop-down, it just seems like the next logical step to me. But then again, I couldn't write a prog if my life depended on it, so what do I know? :laugh:

amy

amyshulk
March 15th, 2005, 12:08am
Hi everyone,
I have read through the FAQ and most of the posts here on the subject of Shazam. I have added online-sweepstakes.com to the list of allowed sites on my pop-up blockers but STILL cannot get the shazam feature to work. I only get the last sweep listed on the my-sweeps page and have only 5 listed per page now. Am I an idiot or what? Any help would be appreciate as it sounds like I am missing out on a great feature!
Thanks!
Did you try Tools>Internet Options>Advanced? I know some people fixed it by checking/unchecking items under Browser. Also, is it possible you did the updates and now have an IE pop-up blocker?

Try this:

Originally Posted by clbrowni
For you IE folks with the built in pop up blocker, try this:
Goto Tools -> popup blocker -> popup blocker settings ->
type in: *.online-sweepstakes.com
Click on 'Add'
Click 'Close'

That should make OLS safe for popups.

OR

See that little globe on the bottom tool bar, double-click on it. Click on 'trusted sites'
Click on 'sites' and type in: *.online-sweepstakes.com
click on 'add' and ok a few times.

That'll make it a trusted site.

hth, gl, amy

mcclave
March 15th, 2005, 10:17am
All this computer talk makes my head swim!

oxnail
March 15th, 2005, 5:09pm

I've also included some troubleshooting information and tips on using it, most of which summarizes what has already been discussed in the many Shazam!-related threads that have popped up in the forums. If anyone finds any errors, typos, inconsistencies or anything I left out, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I've also changed a couple of things about how Shazam! works.

The second change I made was to the way the number of sweeps per page works. You can adjust the number of sweeps displayed per page on the Member Options page: http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/members/options/

You can find a link to the Member Options page in the Navigation Menu in the upper-right corner of any web page on OLS. Before last night, the link was only in the Navigation Menu in the sweepstakes and contest directory, but I changed it so the Navigation Menu as well as the site links at the bottom of every page are now exactly the same in both the forums and sweeps directory.

Anyway, now if you have the number of sweeps per page set to anything below 15 (5 or 10), the only pages on OLS that will display the 5 or 10 sweeps per page will be any Shazam! enabled MySweeps page. Every other page on OLS will display 15 sweeps per page. Before last night, if you had to change the number of sweeps per page to 5 or 10 in order to use Shazam!, you would see 5 or 10 sweeps displayed on every OLS page which could make it a real pain in the arse to browse OLS. Changing the number of sweeps per page to a number over 15 (20 - 50) will still work as expected- the number of sweeps you see per page (on every page) will be the number you selected.

Why Shazam!? I don't know, why not? Shazam! was the first thing I thought of when I started working on it. I was thinking about calling it something else, but Shazam! seems to have stuck.

I could certainly add Shazam! to other pages of OLS (like the expired soon section for example). But I think Shazam! only makes sense when 1) every sweep on a page is of the same entry frequency and 2) every sweep on a page is one in which you actually want to enter. If I added Shazam! to the expiring soon pages that only display sweeps with the same entry frequency (Single, Daily, Weekly, etc.) for example, that would be great except for the fact that some people would just blindly enter every sweep because it's there. That's something I don't particularly want to encourage. I'm not opposed to the idea of adding Shazam! to other pages/sections of the site mind you, I just want to be smart about it.

Currently , there is no reason why you can't use Shazam! to enter all of your sweeps. You can selectively browse through any part of the sweeps directory and chose which sweeps you want to enter by adding them to MySweeps. Once in MySweeps, you can use Shazam! to enter them. If you normally enter your single entries by going through the expiring soon pages a day or two before they expire, for example, you can just add the sweeps you want to enter to MySweeps first, and Shazam! them all at once later. Because we now save sweeps in MySweeps once they expire (premium members only), you'll have a permanent record of which sweeps you entered, when, and how many times.

The potential problem with that method, of course, is that there is no current way to either display or sort sweeps in MySweeps so that you can easily distinguish sweeps that have been newly added to MySweeps or sweeps that need to be entered. There are a few things you could do to workaround it a bit, but there's no sure-fire way to separate out the sweeps you need to enter versus the sweeps you've already entered- yet. Once MySweeps does have this capability, I can't see any really good reason to add Shazam! to any other OLS pages.

Brent

oxnail
March 15th, 2005, 5:11pm
:supstar: Oh, how I love SHAZAM :supstar: :supstar: :supstar:

Evilactionfigure
March 15th, 2005, 5:24pm
:bow: :bow: :bow:

TabooU
March 15th, 2005, 10:51pm
Damn fine features you've added over the past year. Great work! :gvibes:

vosshens
March 15th, 2005, 11:33pm
Shazam works for me today! I didn't do anything different than yesterday but got all of the windows to show up for me today. Thanks for all of your suggestions though :cool2: Shazam is a great new feature!

chefflizz
March 16th, 2005, 1:27am
Love it! Thanks!!! :gvibes:

quackmore1
March 16th, 2005, 1:49am

Hope you still have some free time to enter contests yourself :laugh:

sweepmama
March 16th, 2005, 1:54am
I've been here since 2002. Never used "my sweeps" till just in the last week or 2, I love it!!!! I just now started using "my sweeps" It rocks!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!
LL

bearsilu
March 16th, 2005, 7:37am
well i love it too and i can not imagine having the knowlwdge so sit here and think up things like this. Its hard enough with my fibro fog to remember to ENTER let alone figure out how to make ups something like this that is so unique! thanks so much
:smile9:

mahitabel
March 16th, 2005, 7:59am
This is the best thing since "sliced bread." Thank you so much, Brent. :gvibes:

Bernadette
March 16th, 2005, 12:58pm
Thank you, Brent. I finally understand Shazam.

tokeymom
March 17th, 2005, 4:39pm
i love shazam,it took me about less than an hour to enter over 300 daily contests today with shazam and the save feature on roboform. i love it.thanks

pandybat
March 18th, 2005, 12:16am
In my mind, Shazam is a stroke of pure genius! Thanks so much Brent! I can finally start weaning myself off of TurboSweeps by using this feature.

Shazam is such an appropriate name. I would have called it that too. That's exactly how I feel when all those windows start opening up. SHAZAM!

HEY! My 300th post! Where's my cookie!?!??! :)

Suzie O
March 18th, 2005, 12:35am
Brent,

Shazam is out standing.

Thank You :cheer7: :cheer7: :cheer7:

macer33
March 18th, 2005, 12:37am
I'm lost...Didn't understand a word of it....I'll just keep doing it the old way...See ya...Macer

wngs2fly2
March 18th, 2005, 12:50am
Well I love it. It scared the life out of me the first time I hit the button. I didn't read anything before trying it. That's when I deciided the name fit. Now after reading up on it and trying it out with a better knowledge, I really do love it. Thank so much for all the hard work. I stumbeled on this site and am eternally grateful for it. Please keep up the Awesome work!

goodthunder
March 18th, 2005, 11:50am
Thanks so much for such a great time saver. I tried it today for the first time and I am now totally hooked. Jan :smile9:

rangerxenos
March 18th, 2005, 3:34pm
:cheer7: I finally took some time to tweak my settings and try this -- I LOVE IT!

This is going to be quite a time saver!

I love OLS!

Ishy
March 18th, 2005, 6:49pm
I have been away for a while - but I know I posted an idea something like this right after I went premium. Some people loved the idea, others didnt - but its so nice to know the community here is lead and updated by cognizant admins and staff.

Thanks again.
Ishy

-> orig post is here with a funny pic that was NEVER part of my signature http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169391&highlight=ishy

keep smiling.

LilDevil
March 18th, 2005, 7:03pm
Nice feature :)

Danielle24
March 18th, 2005, 9:07pm
Thanks brent you all do such great work for this site :gvibes:

luckkilaru
March 19th, 2005, 1:15pm
I've been using it for a few days and it is totally awesome! Best thing ever!

Thanks Brent!

skericheri
March 19th, 2005, 4:03pm
Was certainly wrong--Shazam is not piggy. It is a really neat feature. Still do not really feel comfortable entering directly from the entry link. Am curious if anyone wins using Shazam. Brent--Thanks for dreaming up a great feature. It obviously is saving people a great deal of time especially if it is used with Robo.

kaiminani
March 19th, 2005, 4:21pm
Personally, I think this is the greatest addition to the site since I joined. It makes entering the dailies so much easier and faster. THANKS! I have had no problems since it started and love using it.

goonybird
March 19th, 2005, 5:00pm
I spent a few days setting it up, and changing around my Sweeps! entries. Used Shazam! for the first time today, and it really is nice! I do wish that there was a field available to set your own page # settings. But that's not a really big deal.

Thanks for this nice feature!

Nancy

myti22
March 19th, 2005, 5:41pm
thanks I needed this

amyshulk
March 19th, 2005, 5:48pm
Was certainly wrong--Shazam is not piggy. It is a really neat feature. Still do not really feel comfortable entering directly from the entry link. Am curious if anyone wins using Shazam. Brent--Thanks for dreaming up a great feature. It obviously is saving people a great deal of time especially if it is used with Robo.
Hi skericheri - I won from the Harrah's using shazam - $50.00 Visa Check Card!

amy

buck1938
March 19th, 2005, 6:08pm
I just want to add my thanks to Brent for adding Shazam. I have been using it for several days, and it is simply "GREAT"

Cusmile
March 20th, 2005, 10:42am
Lovin' it!!!

Freakin' Fabulous!!

Totally awesome.....makin my day....and puttin one HUGE smile on my face!!

C ME Smilin!!

dberg
March 20th, 2005, 10:51am
I also think this feature is awesome! In fact, I added a bunch more dailies without really knowing I was doing it - simply because Shazam makes entering them so much easier!

Great idea!

Georgie Girl
April 23rd, 2005, 9:27am
There is so much good info in the forums but it is sometimes hard to find the answer to your question - though you know it is there somewhere!

I just decided to use Shazam this weekend - when you get to the end of the number of windows that has opened (that I know you set up using the "options" in the Navigation Menu, does Shazaam automatically open the next 5, 10, 15 or whatever you've chosen?

I was resisting using this - seemed too technical for me - then I realized I could spend half as long entering my sweeps or enter twice as many sweeps in whatever time I have alloted for sweeping.

amyshulk
April 23rd, 2005, 2:10pm
There is so much good info in the forums but it is sometimes hard to find the answer to your question - though you know it is there somewhere!

I just decided to use Shazam this weekend - when you get to the end of the number of windows that has opened (that I know you set up using the "options" in the Navigation Menu, does Shazaam automatically open the next 5, 10, 15 or whatever you've chosen?

I was resisting using this - seemed too technical for me - then I realized I could spend half as long entering my sweeps or enter twice as many sweeps in whatever time I have alloted for sweeping.
It opens only what's on that page. If you have it set to 20, and have 100 in mysweeps, you will end up using shazam 5 times.

hth, amy

CARAN52
April 27th, 2005, 12:55pm
Just found and figured out how to use it the other day. What a nice feature!!! I set my number of displayed entries to 5 though so that if I got jammed up (which I did a couple of times) on any of the sites then it was easier to find out where I left off. Thanks Brent!!

ckollerer
April 27th, 2005, 2:49pm
I'm glad that Brent has made a feature that so many (what proportion, I wonder?) OLSers appreciate. But for me Shazam! is worse than impractical:

1. I have and won't change the setting of 50 sweeps per page. Openning 50 new windows would probably crash my computer. I won't change that setting because I always have over 250 daily sweeps in MySweeps. Having over 25 pages (if I had my setting at 10/page) to fumble through is unquestionably too time-consuming and disorganized.

2. I don't usually want to enter every sweeps I have on a page. So openning them all would be a time consumer, not a time saver. Because I'd have to close windows that I wouldn't have openned.

3. I usually have a number of sweeps entry windows open all the time, along with my email and whatever else I got going on. Openning any number more windows simultaneously would put me in an open-window overload situation.

4. Automatically adding an entry to the count of all the sweeps on a page totally messes things up for me.

It took alot of time for me to learn, get confused by, suffer mishaps by, kick through and eventually reject Shazam! and openly deplore it personally here.

So for me, bluntly, this feature has been a very time-consuming, problematic, useless fiasco cluttering MySweeps. I hope I am in the extreme minority.

pandybat
April 27th, 2005, 3:02pm
I'm glad that Brent has made a feature that so many (just how many, I wonder) OLSers appreciate. But for me Shazam! is totally impractical:

1. I have and won't change the setting of 50 sweeps per page. Openning 50 new windows would probably crash my computer. I won't change that setting because I always have over 250 daily sweeps in MySweeps. Having over 25 pages (if I had my setting at 10/page) to fumble through is unquestionably too time-consuming and disorganized.

2. I don't usually want to enter every sweeps I have on a page. So openning them all would be a time consumer, not a time saver. Because I'd have to close windows that I wouldn't have openned.

3. I usually have a number of sweeps entry windows open all the time, along with my email and whatever else I got going on. Openning any number more windows simultaneously would put me in an open-window overload situation.

4. Automatically adding an entry to the count of all the sweeps on a page totally messes things up for me.

So for me, this feature has been a very time-consuming, problematic, useless fiasco. I hope I am in the extreme minority.

You don't have to open 50 sweeps at a time. You can set it to open 5, 10 or whatever. You will still be able to view 50 sweeps at a time in the New Sweeps pages though. That part doesn't change. Closing one or two windows every once in a while isn't that time consuming. When you add entry to the count of all your sweeps on one page, you just undo it on the ones that you didn't enter.
I open 5 sweeps at a time. I too have other windows that I keep open at all times and opening 5 doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

Sorry you were disappointed.

ckollerer
April 27th, 2005, 3:10pm
You don't have to open 50 sweeps at a time. You can set it to open 5, 10 or whatever. You will still be able to view 50 sweeps at a time in the New Sweeps pages though. That part doesn't change. Closing one or two windows every once in a while isn't that time consuming. When you add entry to the count of all your sweeps on one page, you just undo it on the ones that you didn't enter.
I open 5 sweeps at a time. I too have other windows that I keep open at all times and opening 5 doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

Sorry you were disappointed.(I did some minor, unrelated editing of the wording on my post after your post.)

I realize many OLSers find Shazam! useful. But I explained in my first point why I won't decrease the my number of sweeps per page setting.

sissy76
April 27th, 2005, 3:17pm
SHAZAM is awsome. THANKS a bunch Brent!