PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Sweeps

Brent
February 26th, 2005, 8:35am
Recently, OLS has been receiving a relatively large number of submitted sweeps that are open to Canadians only. While we have usually given Canadian-only sweeps the same considerations for inclusion into the OLS sweeps directory as we have any other sweep, it has gotten to the point where both the editors and I are questioning that policy.

Considering the relatively small number of OLS members who are Canadian sweepers, we do not think it's worth investing the significant amount of additional time and resources that are necessary in order to check and edit the increased number of sweepstakes and contests that only Canadians are eligible to enter.

I should also mention that most of the recent abundance of submitted Canadian-only sweeps tend to have fewer and smaller prizes than most of the other sweeps that we list. While this is by no means a make-or-break factor in deciding whether or not to include any sweep in the sweeps directory, it is a consideration.

I wish we could perfectly accommodate everybody, I wish we could list every single legitimate sweepstakes and contest in the world the the day before it starts. But what we want and what's actually possible or practical are usually two different things, and this case, unfortunately, is no exception.

So what we've decided to do is one of two things, either we're going to delete most of the submitted Canadian-only sweeps and only accept some of the ones that have the better prizes and/or odds to win, or we're going to add a new volunteer editor or two that wants to specialize on checking and editing the submitted Canadian-only sweeps.

Any Canadians who wish to volunteer as a Canadian sweeps editor should send a private message stating so to either kbsocial or myself. Until we add a new volunteer or two willing to take on the Canadian-only sweeps, OLS will only include Canadian-only sweeps that we feel, at our sole discretion, are worth taking the additional time and effort to check and edit.

Our priority is and always will be sweepstakes and contests that are open to the vast majority of our members, most all of which (~95+%) are residents of the USA.

*** I will also be adding the often requested feature that will allow OLS members to completely exclude Canadian-only sweeps from showing up in the sweeps directory if they so desire. It's hard to say exactly when, but it will be soon.

Any comments or thoughts, particularly from our Canadian members, are welcomed and will be appreciated.

Brent

lilreddevil38
February 26th, 2005, 12:38pm
:toot: :toot:

Sounds good Brent!

kris

prezli
February 26th, 2005, 7:36pm
Brent Rocks!

starry1st
February 26th, 2005, 7:40pm
That's a wonderful idea. I was wondering if there was any way you could add a filter to separate the ones that are open to once, (either daily or one time only) per household or ISP?

jpb4919
February 26th, 2005, 7:45pm
Excellent. I would appreciate the option to exclude the Canadian sweeps. :sherlock:

jujyfruit0
February 26th, 2005, 7:45pm
thank you SO much brent!!!! it seems i find a sweep i get so excited about, only to notice that it's canadian residents only.

this will be wonderful!! thanks again!

pammywhammy
February 26th, 2005, 7:58pm
I am glad you do include us Canadians...and I am happy you have a way for us to check the canadian only sweeps...( saves me time..) I do agree the prizes for some of the Canadian Sweeps really suck.......we want to win Hummers, Homes, and a Hunk of cash too....I know its not your fault that we get lousy prizes here to the north...but we do enjoy entering and chatting with our fellow OLS friends.
I understand how time consuming this must be for you to sort thru things...but maybe you should make the prize value a certain amount...thus...the crap prizes won't even be listed.....

Please don't do away with us Canooks....and our favorite past time in the long cold winter.....we love OLS. :toot:

prezli
February 26th, 2005, 8:13pm
I am glad you do include us Canadians...and I am happy you have a way for us to check the canadian only sweeps...( saves me time..) I do agree the prizes for some of the Canadian Sweeps really suck.......we want to win Hummers, Homes, and a Hunk of cash too....I know its not your fault that we get lousy prizes here to the north...but we do enjoy entering and chatting with our fellow OLS friends.
I understand how time consuming this must be for you to sort thru things...but maybe you should make the prize value a certain amount...thus...the crap prizes won't even be listed.....

Please don't do away with us Canooks....and our favorite past time in the long cold winter.....we love OLS. :toot:

Canadian sweeps would not be totally done away with, it would be more like it was before. You would have US/Canada, Open to all and Unspecified still falling into the Canada section on the front page. Just not the Canada only.

JCORNELL745
February 26th, 2005, 8:15pm
"*** I will also be adding the often requested feature that will allow OLS members to completely exclude Canadian-only sweeps from showing up in the sweeps directory if they so desire. It's hard to say exactly when, but it will be soon."

thank you brent

Sis3
February 26th, 2005, 8:25pm
I just paid my membership today and didn't seem to come across anywhere that most of the contests were 95% USA. That would have been nice to read when a person is deciding to buy a membership from Canada and now that I read this I wonder if I should have bought a membership?

LifeIsBeautiful
February 26th, 2005, 8:28pm
I see you said "volunteer." Now.. would the Canadian "volunteer" be extended the same benefits that the American ones get? i.e. free membership.

altamoon
February 26th, 2005, 8:39pm
I just paid my membership today and didn't seem to come across anywhere that most of the contests were 95% USA. That would have been nice to read when a person is deciding to buy a membership from Canada and now that I read this I wonder if I should have bought a membership?

I hear you Sis. I've been in the midst of relocating back to Canada after 20 yrs. We were supposed to go in November but have been held up due to some medical concerns re: my
son. Thus, I've been entering very few big sweeps the past 6 months or so due to the lag time re: notification.
Anyway, I'm fairly sure we'll be there in April and I was going to purchase a membership then. Not so sure now!!

(although I understand the purpose...need the manpower. If I had the time to volunteer I would)

chinchilla
February 26th, 2005, 9:39pm
I just paid my membership today and didn't seem to come across anywhere that most of the contests were 95% USA. That would have been nice to read when a person is deciding to buy a membership from Canada and now that I read this I wonder if I should have bought a membership? The good news is that many are open to the US and Canada - just not as many for Canada only. :)

I see you said "volunteer." Now.. would the Canadian "volunteer" be extended the same benefits that the American ones get? i.e. free membership. I'm quite sure that would be the case. All editors are volunteers.

nightrainzzz
February 27th, 2005, 3:42am
There isn't one good Canadian contest/sweeps site!!!
Could you toss all the Canadian only into one catagory edited or not.

yadgirl
February 27th, 2005, 2:03pm

What Brent said is that 95% of the members here are from the U.S.A.
Many of the sweepstakes that are open to the U.S. are also open to Canada. Right now we have 2,036 sweeps that are open to Canada.

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/directory/canada/

yad

AmberMoon
February 27th, 2005, 2:08pm
:(

This is heart breaking, because while i dont know how many canadians are on this site i do know that I am one of them who spends atleast 8+ hours a day on this site entering my sweeps, If there is only a handfull to pick from then my time here at OLS will come to a complete stop and i have made alot of friends here and leaving is not a option i want to have to choose from.

I am also one of the people who submit atleast 10+ contest a week to this site and if out of those 10+ contest only 2 or 3 show up, i have then spend wasted time entering them and not knowing what is gonna be accepted and what is gonna be deleted, so in turn unless someone steps up my days here at OLS will be coming to a end and that is not something i wish to happen.

There is also two other very active Canadian submitters of contest, and while i cant speak for them i would assume they feel the same way as i do, I dont think i am ready to step up and be a editors of canadian sweeps as i stink at writing, ect ..

Brent before this happens please please make sure there are no other options, I am sure if maybe OLS keeps the Canadian sweeps and adds a section ect that maybe you might draw the canadian base into OLS and make more premium memberships. I dont want to loose ols

Eccentric
February 27th, 2005, 2:13pm
For those who'd like to pretend they actually live in Canada for contest purposes, there are a number of Canadian mail forwarding services that can provide you with a Canadian address (for a fee, of course).

AmberMoon
February 27th, 2005, 2:15pm
For those who'd like to pretend they actually live in Canada for contest purposes, there are a number of Canadian mail forwarding services that can provide you with a Canadian address (for a fee, of course).

Tsk Tsk, right now we need to save this section, not discuss ways to defraud a contest with not being honest of your residency.

ditschler
February 27th, 2005, 2:33pm
Heres an idea. While we are weeding out all the little prizes in Canadian sweeps, lets also weed out all the little prizes in the US sweeps also. That would be fair to all. And it would get rid of a lot of worthless sweeps. You may even be able to cut down on the number of people needed to edit the sweeps thus fewer free memberships and more paying members.

What size of a prize is considered not worth posting needs to be decided and all should be informed of that dollar amount. What percentage of Canadians are paying members versus what percentage of Americans are paying members? If we are going to discriminate we should do so to the side who has the higher percentage of non paying members. If you dont have enough mods to go through and edit all the Canadian sweeps then fine dont edit them, until you find a Canadian mod to do the job. But to begin to stop posting sweeps because a member is doing a good job of finding the sweeps and posting them here for all. That would be like punishing someone for doing a good job.

Just make a general rule for all that if a sweep is not posted with an ending date then it can not be posted. And also add that the rules must be included for it to be posted so the members can check for themselves all requirements to enter. Then if you find the time to edit the sweep then fine if not then the members can enter at thier own risk. But I dont agree with erasing the work of a good member just because they are Canadian.

And for those who have a hard time reading the words for Canadian residents only. Well that is a difficulty you will have to work through. But dont take it out on the Canadians. They are our neighbors, our friends, and our allies.

AmberMoon
February 27th, 2005, 2:35pm
Hi its me again

Just wanted to add out of the 98 contest i have submitted recently that havent expired 42 are Premium and 56 of them are freebies, thats huge, that over half of my contests on average that i submit go premium, so it isnt like the contest i ( just me ) submit are not good prizes. Just food for thought :(

AmberMoon
February 27th, 2005, 3:20pm
Heres an idea. While we are weeding out all the little prizes in Canadian sweeps, lets also weed out all the little prizes in the US sweeps also. That would be fair to all. And it would get rid of a lot of worthless sweeps. You may even be able to cut down on the number of people needed to edit the sweeps thus fewer free memberships and more paying members.

What size of a prize is considered not worth posting needs to be decided and all should be informed of that dollar amount. What percentage of Canadians are paying members versus what percentage of Americans are paying members? If we are going to discriminate we should do so to the side who has the higher percentage of non paying members. If you dont have enough mods to go through and edit all the Canadian sweeps then fine dont edit them, until you find a Canadian mod to do the job. But to begin to stop posting sweeps because a member is doing a good job of finding the sweeps and posting them here for all. That would be like punishing someone for doing a good job.

Just make a general rule for all that if a sweep is not posted with an ending date then it can not be posted. And also add that the rules must be included for it to be posted so the members can check for themselves all requirements to enter. Then if you find the time to edit the sweep then fine if not then the members can enter at thier own risk. But I dont agree with erasing the work of a good member just because they are Canadian.

And for those who have a hard time reading the words for Canadian residents only. Well that is a difficulty you will have to work through. But dont take it out on the Canadians. They are our neighbors, our friends, and our allies.

/Cheer :(

Please lets talk about this brent and work something out

gregisme56
February 27th, 2005, 3:45pm
There is a simple way to keep the Canadian sweeps, and let people know it is Canada only. Since most of us look at the prize, include CDN in the ARV. About 50% of the Canadian Sweeps do this now. This way no coding change would be required, and the Canadians would still have their sweeps.

legaleagle
February 27th, 2005, 3:49pm
Brent has offered a fair compromise...if our friends to the North want to continue on OLS, at least one of them must step forward to take on some of the responsibility. If that does not happen, then plan B would end showing Canadian sweeps. The USA sweeps are supported by USA volunteers, thus, likewise, must the Canadians step up to the plate.

Brent knows you cannot please all the people, all the time. Pleasing 95%+ is significant inducement to make a change.

If I lived in Canada, I would plead and beg to find a way to keep Canadian only sweeps available, but eventually, you have to be willing to do more than just have dialogue. I know there has got to be a dynamic sweeper in Canada just waiting to discover their new talent at editing.

Ziggywag
February 27th, 2005, 3:54pm

1. First and foremost, yes Canadians are our neighbors and our friends. I worked for the Royal Bank of Canada in NYC for several years and made quite a few friends to the North.

2 .We are not trying to alienate them nor are we discriminating against them or any others. We do "weed out" many sweeps. We even have one member who graciously posts all of the sweeps she finds in a thread called Hasama's Contest Corner February '05 (every month a new thread is started). Those are for sweeps that have vague rules, small prizes etc... that we cannot validate to meet our validation requirements. And really!!! What exactly is a small prize? Well, to some a book or a CD may be small but I have seen others post they won't enter anything with an ARV of less than $5,000. Food for thought isn't it? No one should decide what is "worth" posting or not as long as it's a valid sweepstakes. But that's just MHO.

3. This is a US site and as such, although we welcome members from all over the world, we generally do not post sweepstakes open to other countries only. Yes there are a lot of sweeps open to UK residents, AUS residents, Singapore/Thailand only residents etc. and we DO NOT post them because there are sweepstakes sites that gear towards those countries just as there are contest sites for Canadian residents, albeit none that I am aware of have the entry tracking capabilities of the OLS copyrighted program MySweeps. Need I say more?

4. In Brent's post he is clearly requesting a CANADIAN volunteer to handle the Canadian sweeps editing but until such time, the current editors have a hard time validating sweeps that as US citizens we can't enter to see if they work. Considering the small percentage of Canadian members on OLS vs. the large number of Canadian only sweeps being posted lately, this is a very generous offering on his part.

5. Some sweeps are ongoing and have no ending date so we cannot just stop posting anything without a date. In a perfect world they would all be 1x entries open to all with short entry periods and fantatistic prizes but LOL this is reality sweepstaking. :)

Ziggywag
February 27th, 2005, 3:57pm
There is a simple way to keep the Canadian sweeps, and let people know it is Canada only. Since most of us look at the prize, include CDN in the ARV. About 50% of the Canadian Sweeps do this now. This way no coding change would be required, and the Canadians would still have their sweeps.

LOL amazing that we all read what we will win but we fail to see the line in RED right underneath that reads something like Open to residents of the U.S. and Canada :D

gold77
February 27th, 2005, 4:30pm
I think even the Canucks will benefit by having listings all their own. Sweeps are organized by subjects like; Vehicles, small prizes, 1x...it just makes sense for a category by country!

AmberMoon
February 27th, 2005, 4:37pm
As i have stated to Brent in a pm to him , I would do it but im not well spoken nor the best in writing :( I dont want to loose this but willing to do whatever it takes to keep canadian sweeps here

Karen_246
February 27th, 2005, 4:59pm
LOL amazing that we all read what we will win but we fail to see the line in RED right underneath that reads something like :D

Amazes me as well ziggy :gvibes:

There is a simple way to keep the Canadian sweeps, and let people know it is Canada only. Since most of us look at the prize, include CDN in the ARV. About 50% of the Canadian Sweeps do this now. This way no coding change would be required, and the Canadians would still have their sweeps

More than 50% list it in the ARV, we did this with all the complaining that some of you were doing, and more even include the word Canada in the title.

ditschler
February 27th, 2005, 6:43pm
3. This is a US site and as such, although we welcome members from all over the world, we generally do not post sweepstakes open to other countries only. Yes there are a lot of sweeps open to UK residents, AUS residents, Singapore/Thailand only residents etc. and we DO NOT post them because there are sweepstakes sites that gear towards those countries just as there are contest sites for Canadian residents, albeit none that I am aware of have the entry tracking capabilities of the OLS copyrighted program MySweeps. Need I say more?

Must say I have to apologize. I have been here for a couple of years now and did not realize this was a US site. From what I could tell it has been a US Canadian site with paying members from both countries. And I am sure now that BRENT has asked that someone will step up to the call and edit the Canadian sweeps.

I just get so tired of people complaining about the Canadian sweeps. It is amazing how many people find it impossible to read the "Canadian residents only" requirement posted on each Canadian sweep. And then complaining that the Canadians have the best sweeps when the US sweeps easily out price most any Canadian sweep. When was the last time you saw a sweep for a $1,500,000 home being given away in Canada? The Canadians add their sweeps to the site just like the US members add their sweeps to the site. And the fact that 5% of the members are putting on over 40% of the sweeps (4631 sweeps with 2039 being Canadian) then maybe we should be thanking them for their hard work. And try harder to get more Canadian members instead of trying to alienate them.

The Canadians carry more then their share of adding sweeps to this site. I am sure you will find a mod among them. And those of us from the US should be glad our friends are sharing our site and helping to support it.

freehand
February 27th, 2005, 6:51pm
Brent, I guess I will say this is your site and that is your choice. That being said it is also my choice not to renew next year when renewal comes up. There are many American sites out there and it is your choice to make your site one which is primarily for Americans. I really enjoyed your site while it lasted and think you have the best organization out there. Sad to hear that you aren't able to have Canadian only sweeps.

Susan

prezli
February 27th, 2005, 6:51pm
=ditschler The Canadians add their sweeps to the site just like the US members add their sweeps to the site. And the fact that 5% of the members are putting on over 40% of the sweeps (4631 sweeps with 2039 being Canadian) then maybe we should be thanking them for their hard work. And try harder to get more Canadian members instead of trying to alienate them.

But another factor is, where are those sweeps originating from? We do not condone transferring sweep postings from one site to another. We do not condone other sites swiping from us. I know where these posts are coming from. It should not be rewarded or condoned. We often ask people to not swipe from other sites. This should be a rule for our Canadian friends as well. We work hard to have an Honest site, where we (and Brent) can be proud because of our ethical behavior.

Ziggywag
February 27th, 2005, 7:23pm
And the fact that 5% of the members are putting on over 40% of the sweeps (4631 sweeps with 2039 being Canadian) then maybe we should be thanking them for their hard work.

The total number of sweeps open to Canadians are not all Canada only, they are open to the US and some are open worldwide. They are also not posted only by the 5% of Canadians registered to the site. 90% of the submitted sweeps can be attributed to a handful of members and the Canadian only sweeps that have recently been posted do not account for 40% of our contributions by 5% of our members, not by a longshot.

As far as this being a US site, yes, it is a US site because we are based in the US but as I said earlier, we welcome everyone. Unfortunately, we cannot realistically start listing sweepstakes that are restricted to certain countries. Not only do we not know how to interpret international rules and regulations, but I have come across quite a few foreign sweeps that aren't even in English and that in itself would create a whole new slew of problems. We have let Canada only sweeps be posted for several years because there were so few, but lately we have been so inundated with them to the point where sweepstakes open to the 95% of the members who aren't Canadians are taking longer and longer to get around to editing, which if you want percentages, is a much higher number than the 5% of Canadians. No offense intended when I say this but there are plenty of Open to all or Open to US and Canada to keep this site lucrative for Canadian members but to post such large quantities of sweeps only open to Canadians that take up large quantities of the volunteers time and a lot of space on the front pages is unbeneficial to the 95% of non-Canadian members. And again, there are contest sites that are based in Canada that 95% of the members are Canadian that welcome these sweeps and benefit the larger majority of members.

Jdevall
February 27th, 2005, 7:29pm
Great idea Brent!

luckylady1744
February 27th, 2005, 7:47pm
Thank you Brent! You are a true gentleman! There are so many other catagories here, and I can really appreciate this one more. You will make alot of people all over North America very happy with this.
:bow:

Lyn

luckypepe
February 27th, 2005, 7:52pm
Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer7: :cheer7: :cheer7: :cheer7:

bearbaby_26
February 27th, 2005, 7:54pm
*** I will also be adding the often requested feature that will allow OLS members to completely exclude Canadian-only sweeps from showing up in the sweeps directory if they so desire. It's hard to say exactly when, but it will be soon.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! It takes so much time to sort through the Canadian ones each day. I truly appreciate this feature being added! :)

LifeIsBeautiful
February 27th, 2005, 8:44pm

:mad2: This is the second time I have seen you post this message. Are you one of these cheaters then? What else do you cheat on?

bboop2u1
February 27th, 2005, 8:51pm
*** " I will also be adding the often requested feature that will allow OLS members to completely exclude Canadian-only sweeps from showing up in the sweeps directory if they so desire. It's hard to say exactly when, but it will be soon." As per Brent
THANKS BRENT !!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT !!! :)

ditschler
February 27th, 2005, 8:56pm
My posts are getting some interesting replies. It seems it is more ethically correct to ignore the Canadians and only do what is best for the majority. And that more people are more eager to drop the Canadian sweeps rather than to ask for a Canadian mod and hope someone volunteers for the job. I am sorry if it seems that there are a lot of Canadian sweeps being swiped off other websites, but I can almost quarantee you that there are also US sweeps getting here the same way. This site started out as a volunteer site open to all but mostly US and Canadian sweeps. And over time it has proven to be a more US membership than Canadian. But if you look at the population of the 2 countries that was obviously going to happen. But I never thought this site would become so discriminating, that it would be easier to delete the Canadians rather than to find a solution. Brent asked for a solution by finding a volunteer to edit the sweeps. The members who are speaking the loudest are asking for a solution by deleting the Canadian sweeps. I prefer Brents idea and I hope he finds a mod from Canada who would like a free membership.

ldac38
February 27th, 2005, 9:03pm
I must be missing something. I read Brents post and did NOT get the idea he wanted to exclude canadians from OLS, but get some help from them with the sweeps entrys. What post did everyone else read. Sheesh! :worry: :worry:

yadgirl
February 27th, 2005, 9:14pm
My posts are getting some interesting replies. It seems it is more ethically correct to ignore the Canadians and only do what is best for the majority. And that more people are more eager to drop the Canadian sweeps rather than to ask for a Canadian mod and hope someone volunteers for the job. I am sorry if it seems that there are a lot of Canadian sweeps being swiped off other websites, but I can almost quarantee you that there are also US sweeps getting here the same way. This site started out as a volunteer site open to all but mostly US and Canadian sweeps. And over time it has proven to be a more US membership than Canadian. But if you look at the population of the 2 countries that was obviously going to happen. But I never thought this site would become so discriminating, that it would be easier to delete the Canadians rather than to find a solution. Brent asked for a solution by finding a volunteer to edit the sweeps. The members who are speaking the loudest are asking for a solution by deleting the Canadian sweeps. I prefer Brents idea and I hope he finds a mod from Canada who would like a free membership.

Canada Population
32,507,874 (July 2004 est.)
http://www.citypopulation.de/Canada.html

California Population (2003 est.)
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06000.html

Numbers are close to equal.

California-only sweeps rarely hit the main listings.

yad

flepine
February 27th, 2005, 9:18pm
Woahhhh, sorry guys if my English is not perfect, but I had to share my thoughts! :frown3:

I guess one thing we have had to learn when becoming sweepers is to accept and understand the rules that say « not open to your country »…end of story. How long does it take to read these few words? 3 seconds? If site managers think and sincerely believe that rules are too much of a hassle to read for members, then so be it. Being from Canada, I am used to reading rules prior to entering a sweep. And being from the Province of Quebec, it even narrows down my chances of eligibility by so much less percentage! Still, I take the time to read the rules and comply with them.

Wow, I can even feel relief when reading posts from other members referring to sweeps for Canadians to be taken out of the list, you will not get a mysterious disease if you click on a sweep that is not open to your area!!!! I guess that spending the 3 seconds reading the eligibility line is too much to ask to some people; and I am not generalising, I read enough about members here to know that real sweep-oriented members actually care about the rules and DO read rules for every sweep.

OLS has much to offer to any serious sweeper who is willing to take the time to read the rules and/or eligibility data. If this is too much to ask (no matter whether we are from the US, Canada or Africa), then so be it, and I take it that some members are looking for easy and quick entries: I am not. I am willing to read rules, willing to take the time and willing to pass on nice sweeps if I am not eligible to do so.

I also understand that it may be time-consuming for site administrators to review sweeps intended for such a little percentage of members, and I also read between lines when people say that there are good Canadian-based sites. The thing is that sometimes we stick to a site for the people we meet + how the site is handled + the way we feel about a given place. :)

I do not feel directly “impacted” by this thread but I just wonder 2 things: 1- is it such a major pain in the neck to spend 3 seconds reading the eligibility statements or rules of a sweepstake we enter? And 2- If it is such a time-consuming task to review Canadian-only sweeps, is there any way they could be posted without review by admin?

Thanks to admin for sharing intents and asking for our thoughts, this is highly appreciated. :cheer7:

TabooU
February 27th, 2005, 9:30pm
I must be missing something. I read Brents post and did NOT get the idea he wanted to exclude canadians from OLS, but get some help from them with the sweeps entrys. What post did everyone else read. Sheesh! :worry: :worry: I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to reread his post to make sure we read it right. :laugh:

arouet
February 27th, 2005, 9:35pm
I really hope that someone from Canada decides to step up and offer to start editing the Canada only sweeps. Because from what I read, that is all that Brent is asking for and it makes sense. The editors that we have are getting bogged down because there are too many Canada only sweeps coming in now. While that may be great news, and is for the Canadians, it is tying up the editors for too long trying to edit and add these sweeps which only benefit 5% of the OLS population. Not to mention, scince they aren't even qualified to enter these sweeps they can't see any glitches or problems before adding them to the data base.

So if someone from Canada offers their time, the same as the US editors volunteer theirs, for a free membership, they can keep all of the Canada only sweeps going too. Then everyone is happy. Right? We love all the Canadians here and don't want to see them leave. :gvibes:

sweepyhead
February 27th, 2005, 9:58pm
So if someone from Canada offers their time, the same as the US editors volunteer theirs, for a free membership, they can keep all of the Canada only sweeps going too. Then everyone is happy. Right? We love all the Canadians here and don't want to see them leave. :gvibes:
Ditto that, in fact I know of one such qualified person who has stepped up to the plate and asked to become a Canadian editor. I hope Brent gives her a short because she's a real sweetie and good at what she does.

Just think -- if Canada has so many sweeps in proportion to their population, maybe there are thousands of potential members out there yet to discover this site. To paraphrase a movie tonight, on Oscar night, if you list them they will come.

Sweepy:sleep2:

AmberMoon
February 27th, 2005, 10:09pm

as far as i know 2 canadians atm have applied for the position so we shall see

ditschler
February 27th, 2005, 10:17pm
well yadgirl pointed out that the pop of Canada is about equal to that of California. I would like to ask her what percentage of the OLS pop is from California? An equal number as Canadians? Because if we want to narrow it down to, does the California-Only equal the Canadian-Only, then lets break it down to a state level how many times are sweeps limited to certian states only and not include every state in the US. I would have to agree with you. If a sweep is not open to every state in the US then it should not be allowed. That way I dont go through all the hassle of filling out a sweep to find out it is not open to those in my state.

dawneandgreg
February 27th, 2005, 10:20pm
Yes- two have offered to help out- myz and me! I would help out anyway that I could- especially if it meant keeping the Canadian sweeps on OLS. There is the solution to the problem solved- volunteers have come up to the plate to save the Canadian sweeps. Keep your fingers crossed!
Dawne

Deedles
February 27th, 2005, 11:28pm
My opinion--Not to eliminate the Canadian sweeps but the sweeps that are for Canadians only should have their own catagory and of course their own mods. Just may make it a bit easier for everyone.

prezli
February 28th, 2005, 2:01am
well yadgirl pointed out that the pop of Canada is about equal to that of California. I would like to ask her what percentage of the OLS pop is from California? An equal number as Canadians? Because if we want to narrow it down to, does the California-Only equal the Canadian-Only, then lets break it down to a state level how many times are sweeps limited to certian states only and not include every state in the US. I would have to agree with you. If a sweep is not open to every state in the US then it should not be allowed. That way I dont go through all the hassle of filling out a sweep to find out it is not open to those in my state.

We do not post sweeps for one State, we have a forum for that. In fact, unless there are at least 10 states (usually) a sweep is removed from the front page. And yes again I will state not a few but ALL of the Canadian sweeps are being swiped. As an editor who happens to post sweeps here (I work my buns off to find them) I am offended by swiping. When we catch our US posters swiping we tell them to stop. I am telling our Canadian friends, swiping is unacceptable. They are swiping from a Canadian only site (which does not list US sweeps by the way) and posting them here. Bad show!

mcclave
February 28th, 2005, 2:10am
Having the option to not have the Canadian sweeps show up on my sweeps would be a welcome option.

Not having our Canadian members here would SuCk!! Myz I think you are being a little hard on yourself and I think that you would be fabulous at the job considering that you would WANT to do it. I don't know what all the job intails but sure hope you will consider it so we don't have to loose our Canadian members.

Brent, I have to hand it to you there are not many people in your position that would even care enough to ask for the input of the members. Thank you for being you and having this great place for me to spend my time at hang out with some of the neatest people on the planet!!!

Dawneandgreg, I see has also volunteered also, so it looks like all will be well in OLS land.

prezli
February 28th, 2005, 2:31am
Having the option to not have the Canadian sweeps show up on my sweeps would be a welcome option.

Not having our Canadian members here would SuCk!! Myz I think you are being a little hard on yourself and I think that you would be fabulous at the job considering that you would WANT to do it. I don't know what all the job intails but sure hope you will consider it so we don't have to loose our Canadian members.

Brent, I have to hand it to you there are not many people in your position that would even care enough to ask for the input of the members. Thank you for being you and having this great place for me to spend my time at hang out with some of the neatest people on the planet!!!

No one wants to totally not include canada sweeps. We are looking for other options TO include them. But, I must stress again, the sweeps posted should not and never be blatantly swiped from another site. We strive to be the best here. Brent runs an outstanding site and we are so good we are usually the site other inferior sites swipe from. There are many options being debated by Brent, mods and editors. So, give us a few days, it will be sorted out. Brent is always MORE than fair. But, 30 to 40 percent of the sweeps that show up on the front page should not be from Canada. It is not an accurate percentage of our total population here.

mcclave
February 28th, 2005, 2:43am
No one wants to totally not include canada sweeps. We are looking for other options TO include them. But, I must stress again, the sweeps posted should not and never be blatantly swiped from another site. We strive to be the best here. Brent runs an outstanding site and we are so good we are usually the site other inferior sites swipe from. There are many options being debated by Brent, mods and editors. So, give us a few days, it will be sorted out. Brent is always MORE than fair. But, 30 to 40 percent of the sweeps that show up on the front page should not be from Canada. It is not an accurate percentage of our total population here.

Mabey I need to rephrase that! I understood Brent to say he was working on a feature that would give us the option to show or not show the Canadian Only sweeps. Since I am not from Canada nor would I lie and say that I am. I would choose the don't show them to me option while someone from Canada could show them to me. I was by no means saying get rid of them all together.

I have complete faith that this will be resolved, it is not that hard. It will just take some willing people to jump in an take the ball and run with it!!

prezli
February 28th, 2005, 2:52am
Mabey I need to rephrase that! I understood Brent to say he was working on a feature that would give us the option to show or not show the Canadian Only sweeps. Since I am not from Canada nor would I lie and say that I am. I would choose the don't show them to me option while someone from Canada could show them to me. I was by no means saying get rid of them all together.

I have complete faith that this will be resolved, it is not that hard. It will just take some willing people to jump in an take the ball and run with it!!

There are a few options being batted around which I will not discuss here. I will reinterate that sweepstakes from another site should not be swiped, EVER. I know we have an excellent site here. I work as a Senior Editor and I post many of the sweeps as well. I never swipe, never. I do something called google. Plus I have other systems I use as does ked, marie and ziggywag (all frequent sweep posters). Part of the problem is the swiping factor the other part is the percentage of sweeps that have been posted on the front page in recent months which does not accurately represent the OLS population. We want to please everyone, as Brent eloquently stated. In a perfect world we could. But, this is not a perfect world. We do our best, that is all we can do.

susyq
February 28th, 2005, 3:20am
as far as i know 2 canadians atm have applied for the position so we shall see

Glad we may have a few volunteers. I think about eighty- ninety percent of the contests in the canada section are for u.s. and canada combined.
So if need be why not just stick the canada only contests straight into the canada section and bypass putting them in the new sweepstakes. That way we can sort by newest first. And eleviate the constant anger notes about our contests, and questioning about why they are in that section.
I"m here daily and that would be easy for us canadians, :cool2:

freehand
February 28th, 2005, 7:09am
I personally don't think that Canadians are bigger cheaters than Americans (or vice versa). Therefore, my guess is that only one or two Canadians are "swiping" as various people have pointed out. My advice would be warn then once and, if not, kick them off the site.

Susan

prezli
February 28th, 2005, 7:15am
I personally don't think that Canadians are bigger cheaters than Americans (or vice versa). Therefore, my guess is that only one or two Canadians are "swiping" as various people have pointed out. My advice would be warn then once and, if not, kick them off the site.

Susan

Good guess. They know who they are. If it stops we should no longer be innundated with canadian sweeps. Because basically, they are swiped ... sweep for sweep. We do not condone this. We do not allow knowingly our sweeps to be swiped and we do not allow sweeps to be brought here from other sites ever. When we find out it is going on we ask that poster to stop.

AmberMoon
February 28th, 2005, 10:18am

Hmmm

Let me say that you can not sit here and claim that it is just canadians doing the swiping because that is just plain out right being narrow-minded, Out of say the 4000+ US sweeps you cant sit here and say that all 4000+ sweeps were found from google and if you even attempt to say it is then you are very very nieve.

Now just looking at the last 3 contest you posted Today i found all 3 contests on others sites, does that mean you swiped those contests and put them here? I doubt it

I also feel that your constent repeat of the same statements is directed at me in some small way since there are really only 3 active canadian posters on this board, I spend hours looking for sweeps, checking to sponsors sites that i have book marked frequently, and yes like probably 95% of this whole boards population i also belong to groups,and frequent other contests forum sites, but who is to say that I am swiping them??? who is to say that i didnt submit them to their sites first before posting here? who is to say that i didnt actually find them through google, dogpile or yahoo???

I will be the first to admit there has been a few from my newsletter groups, and non 100% sweepstakes forums i have seen a sweep posted and came over to add it here but so does alot of your other sweeps.

If you are able to KNOW that we are swiping sweeps off another site then how are you not able to validate contest for canadians or do you also frequent canadian contest sites?

Now i am sorry if i am coming off like a mean blunt person but i feel you are stating something that is true for this whole site and you have no merit to prove it other then seeing it on another site and assuming we didnt post it there before here.

i also feel that the way all the mods are talking about this subject that each one of you just want the canadian part taken away or reduced to maybe a handful of canadian contest period, that finding a canadian mod isnt somethign you want to entertain but figured you would throw us canadians a bone and play around with us before you totally just trash the canadian side of the contest. In the end This is brents choice in the end what he wants to do with his site

LifeIsBeautiful
February 28th, 2005, 10:59am
Somehow, I knew this thread was going to take a wrong turn.

I just want to ask a question. If it was so evident that people were swiping sweeps from other sites, why wasn't it addressed then and there instead of here and now?

Good guess. They know who they are. If it stops we should no longer be innundated with canadian sweeps. Because basically, they are swiped ... sweep for sweep. We do not condone this. We do not allow knowingly our sweeps to be swiped and we do not allow sweeps to be brought here from other sites ever. When we find out it is going on we ask that poster to stop.

Personally, I paid for my membership because I don't have time to find and post sweeps, I've only ever posted one here and it was for Canada/US.

I can tell you, that it's easy as pie to find MANY Canadian sweeps that continually offer contests. As a matter of fact, there are rarely any new contests on here that I have not bookedmarked at one time or another knowing the site has contests on an ongoing basis. Don't have to google or dogpile. Just have to bookmark the site and voila, there they are.

So, with that said... two Canadians have volunteered to edit the Canadian contests, which is what Brent asked for. So..can we get on with it already?

And I'd like to say thank you to the two Canadians that have volunterred their time. :gvibes:

sweepyhead
February 28th, 2005, 11:09am
I can tell you, that it's easy as pie to find MANY Canadian sweeps that continually offer contests.
This is absolutely correct, and I speak from experience because I have posted many Canadian sweeps in the past (before they became a problem, apparently). Check canada.com in the morning, and new sweeps appear almost daily.

I'm throwing my American hat in the ring and volunteering to edit the Canadian sweeps. Helping out is what matters. It's all good.

freehand
February 28th, 2005, 11:17am
Sweepyhead,

I just wanted to say that you are very sweet to volunteer. I was certainly feeling like a second-class citizen reading many of the posts about the Canadians who cheat, or get all the good contests. It was really starting to play into the perception that many people have about Americans thinking they are the only people worth caring about in the world. I read your response and now I feel that the stereotype is not all true!!!

Susan

AmberMoon
February 28th, 2005, 11:21am
This is absolutely correct, and I speak from experience because I have posted many Canadian sweeps in the past (before they became a problem, apparently). Check canada.com in the morning, and new sweeps appear almost daily.

I'm throwing my American hat in the ring and volunteering to edit the Canadian sweeps. Helping out is what matters. It's all good.

/cheer

I think this is about one of the most stand up things you are adking to do, Cheeer to you~

bigglesworth30
February 28th, 2005, 11:22am
BRENT, YOU ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR US, YOU ROCK! KEEP UP YOURAWESOME WORK ON THIS SITE! :royal: :cheer7: :gvibes: :jump:

sweepyhead
February 28th, 2005, 11:22am
Sweepyhead,

I just wanted to say that you are very sweet to volunteer. I was certainly feeling like a second-class citizen reading many of the posts about the Canadians who cheat, or get all the good contests. It was really starting to play into the perception that many people have about Americans thinking they are the only people worth caring about in the world. I read your response and now I feel that the stereotype is not all true!!!

Susan
Awww... shoot. It's nuthin'. I've been squawking in the past about being an editor, so this is no big deal.

I'm so embarrassed. Hit me with a bowl of poutine or something.

prezli
February 28th, 2005, 11:25am
Hmmm

Let me say that you can not sit here and claim that it is just canadians doing the swiping because that is just plain out right being narrow-minded, Out of say the 4000+ US sweeps you cant sit here and say that all 4000+ sweeps were found from google and if you even attempt to say it is then you are very very nieve.

Now just looking at the last 3 contest you posted Today i found all 3 contests on others sites, does that mean you swiped those contests and put them here? I doubt it

I also feel that your constent repeat of the same statements is directed at me in some small way since there are really only 3 active canadian posters on this board, I spend hours looking for sweeps, checking to sponsors sites that i have book marked frequently, and yes like probably 95% of this whole boards population i also belong to groups,and frequent other contests forum sites, but who is to say that I am swiping them??? who is to say that i didnt submit them to their sites first before posting here? who is to say that i didnt actually find them through google, dogpile or yahoo???

I will be the first to admit there has been a few from my newsletter groups, and non 100% sweepstakes forums i have seen a sweep posted and came over to add it here but so does alot of your other sweeps.

If you are able to KNOW that we are swiping sweeps off another site then how are you not able to validate contest for canadians or do you also frequent canadian contest sites?

Now i am sorry if i am coming off like a mean blunt person but i feel you are stating something that is true for this whole site and you have no merit to prove it other then seeing it on another site and assuming we didnt post it there before here.

i also feel that the way all the mods are talking about this subject that each one of you just want the canadian part taken away or reduced to maybe a handful of canadian contest period, that finding a canadian mod isnt somethign you want to entertain but figured you would throw us canadians a bone and play around with us before you totally just trash the canadian side of the contest. In the end This is brents choice in the end what he wants to do with his site

Not that there is a need BUT look at the time of the morning my posts go up. Then the other sites. My posts are swiped on a daily basis AND I AM SENSITIVE TO THIS. I post here because I want our members to win. I spend hours looking for sweeps plus I use bookmarks for circling sites. But when I find that sweep that is buried among 100's of pages of search engine I am thrilled to share and within a day it gets swiped. Swiping is unacceptable. No one is talking about a Canadian Moderator. It was mentioned that possibly a Canadian editor might be the answer. No one is throwing bones, it is being debated by tptb.

AmberMoon
February 28th, 2005, 11:35am
Not that there is a need BUT look at the time of the morning my posts go up. Then the other sites. My posts are swiped on a daily basis AND I AM SENSITIVE TO THIS.. And so am I, I dont like being accused of something that you have no proof of, There are lots of contest sites that dont have times or dates so making accusations is not a very mature thing to do unless you have 100% proof you can submit.

I post here because I want our members to win. I spend hours looking for sweeps plus I use bookmarks for circling sites. But when I find that sweep that is buried among 100's of pages of search engine I am thrilled to share and within a day it gets swiped. .

I agree, i hate going to the submit a contst thingie to see its already been posted but hey its life if someone found it before me but i dont go around saying well u foudn it on a site and i found it buried in google.

No one is talking about a Canadian Moderator. It was mentioned that possibly a Canadian editor might be the answer. No one is throwing bones, it is being debated by tptb.

Sorry, my wording was wrong, it was ment to be a editor but tty for pointing it out to us so plainly again, and when so far every mod that has posted about this comes across as if they are doing us canadians a favor i tend to take it as someone trying to throw us a bone,

In the end you now have 3 people who will volunteer to keep the canadian sweeps going, which is what was asked by Brent.

LifeIsBeautiful
February 28th, 2005, 11:46am
:cheer7: Thanks sweepy! I appreciate your effort to help. I can't volunteer as I don't have the time, I am already way behind on my sweeping, so I certainly appreciate people like you and myz and dawnandgreg for volunteering your services!

Karen_246
February 28th, 2005, 11:50am
Ummmmm, Prezli doesn't swipe sweeps, the ones she post here are pretty much always swiped and posted somewhere else within an hour or so of her submitting them here.

There has been numerous ideas floating around on how we were going to handle the Canadian sweeps, and yet so many peeps are just jumping to conclusions that they are going to go all together. People just need to sit back and relax until a decision is made.

AmberMoon
February 28th, 2005, 11:59am
Ummmmm, Prezli doesn't swipe sweeps, the ones she post here are pretty much always swiped and posted somewhere else within an hour or so of her submitting them here.

There has been numerous ideas floating around on how we were going to handle the Canadian sweeps, and yet so many peeps are just jumping to conclusions that they are going to go all together. People just need to sit back and relax until a decision is made.

Agree, i dont suspect her to swiping but it isnt nice to accuse others either unless you have proof and assuming that just because a site has these contests on them and the same day we post it here makes us swipers, dosent mean that we didnt submitit to them to that site, dosent mean those contests arent contest sites that offer contest all the time and we check daily, ect ect..

Curr4001
February 28th, 2005, 12:14pm
I never have time to look for sweeps. The only one I have ever posted was a Canadian one that I stumbled across and I was thrilled to find someting I could post. I would love to have the time to do more and I really appreciate the wonderful work everyone else is doing.
I love the idea of being able to screen out the sweeps I don't qualify for. In fact, I wish I could somehow do that on US sweeps. I'd love to be able to eliminate the ones for smokers only, or even just the ones I'm not interested in. Wouldn't it be great to have a "hide" key you could use the first time you see a sweep and then it wouldn't show again unless you chose to "show all"
Hey, maybe I've come up with the next great improvement for the site LOL

freehand
February 28th, 2005, 12:21pm
Sweepyhead,

Here you go - Its a bowl of poutine served on a hockey stick. I am jumping in the bobsled, wearing my touque and heading off to give it to you right away :smile9:

Again, thanks for being one of the good ones.

Susan

Rookiesmom
February 28th, 2005, 12:52pm
Awww let's keep our sweepy friends from Canada, lets face it they have to sort through all the US only sites too don't they. Their problem is the same as US members dealing with Canadian sweeps. Brent, I think this is more of an opportunity for you than a problem. Geez we all want the easiest, accessable, complete and ethical site to use to pursue our hobby. Rather than some getting worked up and getting upset on these threads lets stick to working the problem. I'm sure that there are some volunteers who will do a wonderful job in editing the Canadian sweeps and perhaps we should be trying to "envision" how this site will "look" with the goal of being the best, easiest, accessable, complete and ethical American/Canadian sweeping site on the web (Not that it isn't already).

By the way to all those who spend hours on web hunting down contests, thank you for helping make my hobby so much more fun. I've tried to post several sweeps only to find that more diligent members have beat me to it.

The Canadians bring a lot to the table but it seems as though its time to differentiate the site to be easy for all concerned to use it.......just how should it be done? Any ideas? Any visionarys............... :gvibes:

yadgirl
February 28th, 2005, 1:08pm
Sweepyhead,

Here you go - Its a bowl of poutine served on a hockey stick. I am jumping in the bobsled, wearing my touque and heading off to give it to you right away :smile9:

Again, thanks for being one of the good ones.

Susan

One of the good ones? What about the editors who've been cleaning up the Canada-only sweeps for many years, even though we're not eligible to enter them?

Until lately, we never had a problem with it. The main thing we're concerned about is the recent onslaught of Canadian sweeps being posted here, usually immediately after they've been posted on a Canadian site!

yad

ditschler
February 28th, 2005, 1:47pm
Brent has gotten what he asked for when he started this post. Now 3 people have volunteered to help edit the Canadian sweeps. There really shouldnt be anymore debate about anything else. For those who make accusations of swiping without proof you need to relax and hold your tongue. Without definate proof and reporting it to Brent so he can talk to the one being accused. Accusations do not need to be broadcast for all to see. It just causes bad vibes to go throughout the whole site. For those who have been accused and are innocent I would like to apologize for those who wont apologize. For those who have volunteered, I commend you and wish you the best.

This is suppose to be a friendly site where all are here to help each other. Lets try really hard to keep it that way. I enjoy my hobby of entering sweeps and wish to help any who share in this hobby without discrimination. I try to read the requirements before entering and if I miss and try to enter a Canadian only sweep without knowing it. I do not get upset with the sweep being listed. I just shrug my shoulders and go on to the next one. I mean it was my own mistake of not reading the requirements first. I enjoy seeing what is available for the Canadians and if there is something really good I tell my friends who live in Canada. If I know an answer to a question in a Canadian sweep I will post it even if there is no benefit in it for me. I just hope they will do the same for me. We claim to be an OLS family here, I hope we remember what family means and try to keep it a family.

ditschler
February 28th, 2005, 1:49pm
And I forgot to add one more thing. To all the editors out there thank you for doing such a great job. And to Brent thank you also. And now that you do have some volunteers to edit the Canadian sweeps, I think it is time to delete this post so it does not start anymore conflict than it already has.

freehand
February 28th, 2005, 2:24pm
Wow - it is pretty sad when I get in trouble for being nice to somebody. I stated that somebody is "one of the good ones" and that is considered rude because I didn't thank every person who every did anything nice for me in the world. The commonly used phrase "one of the good ones" implies that there are others that are also nice and wonderful. If not I would have said "you are the only good one". It must be sad to be the type of person who gets upset when somebody gets a compliment and says "me too, me too!".

So, for anyone who was offended by me complimenting one person, I apologize. You are all wonderful.

Susan

mcclave
February 28th, 2005, 2:31pm

Three cheers for sweepyhead! :clap: :clap: :clap: Now that's what I'm talking about! :jump: I would offer to help out but I don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground! :laugh:

stinger
March 1st, 2005, 2:42am
Why is it that many of the good Canadian only sweeps have low ratings? I know many of you will say you don't pay attention to them anyway.

mcclave
March 1st, 2005, 8:28am
Sweepyhead,

If you get the job, I think it would be fair to say that we will find you sweepin on the job! :laugh:

Cahaba Lily
March 1st, 2005, 10:51am
I have never complained about the Canadian Sweeps. I can only laugh at myself for pulling a Homer (not reading the full post - then seeing Province where State should be :doh: ). I am grateful that Brent is asking for help instead of just pulling all the Canadian sweeps. I can't think of how he could be more fair than that! :cheer:

Eccentric
March 1st, 2005, 11:16am
On a couple of "Canada only" contests sponsored by companies also doing business in the USA, I have sent an email to the sponsor suggesting (politely, of course) that they open the contest to the USA as well.

I point out that we buy their stuff too, and would like to be included.

The replies generally go "We'll consider it".

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 1:03pm

Have we made a decision and not informed us on the future of canadian sweeps? I noticed yesterday that my submitted contest posts were moved/deleted , so i send a pm to 2 mods and one just ignored me totally even to this post today i havent heard a reply but they post on the boards since my pm , and the other answered me stating "Looks like they were moved to local or they were already listed as an ongoing sweep" so with that i took their word that maybe i missed something and that they were for local only.

Today i went to see if i could find them again since yesterday i couldnt see them for some reason and today i see EVERY contest i submitted in the last few days that was for Canada only in Local section, with no reason, these are not small companys, this is for all of canada with no restrictions and contests that have ongoing contest that have been submitted here on OLS for a long time, and now all of a sudden they are all moved to local section ( 3 days worth) .. so with this i also check on another members submissions who submits canada contest and yup the last 2 days worth of her submissions are in local and same thing with her contest

So with this i PM another mod again and since i am impatient and they havent gotten back to me i figured i would ask in public what is going on, If this is the Mods/editors/brents decision to put all Canadian into local section then please let us know, If this isnt the reason could you please explain why the last 3 days worth of contests for canadians are in local section

thank you

Lavish304
March 1st, 2005, 1:15pm
I am with MYZ!!!
If we Canadian's are willing to put in the effort to help out, at least by contriputing in sweeps, why are people ignoring these posts with very legitimant questions??? I a sweep is moved can you not at least just explain where it has been moved to, AND possibly explain why??? Just a question!?!?!?!

thecarol
March 1st, 2005, 1:19pm
Read this topic

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232197

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 1:22pm
Read this topic

I wish that held the answer to my questions, i have kept up on that post and as far as everyone knew this was all in lingo and that to my understanding that if someone stepped up to edit the canadian sweeps they would be left alone, so far 2 canadians and 1 us member has stepped up so i assumed we were still waiting on word of what was going to happen

ratsy
March 1st, 2005, 1:32pm
Read this topic

Sorry, unable to locate the word "LOCAL" that myz was looking for in the link you posted.
Maybe you could highlight it. Thanks. :)

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 1:53pm

This is just plain sad, A editor/mod reads a new thread then decides to moves 4 post from that thread to this thread here, but yet they dont answer the question that was in the thread they moved here, Yet my PM goes unanswered and yet that mod who i pmed is posting away on the message board..

What are you all hiding from, why cant you just be straight and give us a answer, if you dont want us here say so, if you want this to be US only site then state it, dont keep us dangling.

Denice
March 1st, 2005, 1:57pm
thanks for letting us know ... I think your stance is reasonable and very accomodating.

girliedos
March 1st, 2005, 2:06pm
Thanks in advance for adding that feature (whenever it comes on board).
I would love to not see the Canada only sweeps. That'll save a lot of time.
No offense, Canadians.

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 2:10pm
A little more investigating and i see that since 2/25/05 all CANADA ONLY SWEEPS are local now, it isnt just mine its everyones, so i assume you have made your decision and CANADA is now only in the local section and our subscriptions arent worth much since we cant mysweep locals nor be able to locate dailys, ect for canada only easily

I think your backalley approach to just sweep us under the rug without letting us know is down right shady, You knew eventually someone was gonna figure it out and bring it to the table, I really think that we should be told this is happening

ditschler
March 1st, 2005, 2:13pm
It is starting to look like the editors and mods have the right to decide who is family on this site and who is not. And without notification from them or Brent they seem to do as they please. I agree that without notification to the members there should be no major changes. And the fact that some sweeps are being moved or even possibly deleted for no known reason should anger everyone. Whichever editor or mod you sent your questions to and does not answer your questions should be made accountable. That is part of their job and they should not be able to disregard any question made by a member of this site. And if they do they should not be a mod or editor.

Ziggywag
March 1st, 2005, 2:29pm
Ok, I will try to update things but as of this moment I don't really know much of what's been going on. Things are still in discussion with TPTB.

So, in no particular order:

I am gathering this was 2 threads merged into one. If so it was most likely because it all goes back to the one subject ine the end not to ignore anything that was said in the second thread. As to PM'ing a Mod, well, resend it, it's possible it didn't go through. I have had that happen...LOL the little PM eating gremlins that live in cyberspace :)

Thanks to those who have offered to volunteer. I would like to add though that although it was a nice offer, if we decide to keep the Canadian sweeps on the main page and we take on a new volunteer, that person would need to be a Canadian resident as Brent stated. As it is, we cannot validate these sweeps because none of us are Canadian, we do our best but unless a Canadian reports a problem, we have no way of knowing what happens when you try to submit an entry.

We have been moving most of them to locals unless there is a large prize. If a sweep is open to less than all of Canada (Quebec is the exception because they are often void) it would be sent to local regardless just as we send US sweeps open to under 10 states to locals. If it is further restricted - eg: I moved one yesterday that was Canada only 14 and younger. Too few eligible to enter to keep it on the front page.

As to swiping, we are keeping on top of it and no one is accusing anyone in public. Several members have already been asked to stop, whether it's swiping from us to post elsewhere or vice-versa, it's not accepted here.

I wish this had a simple solution but unfortunately, in order to accomodate the large numbers of Canadian sweeps being posted as of late it would require some major changes to the site and we are just not sure the percentages justify those changes. Roughly 95% of our members are non-Canadian and we are talking about less than 5% of all the submitted sweeps that can only be entered by Canadians.

If I missed anything please PM me, I do reply even if I get around to it at 3AM.

kbsocial
March 1st, 2005, 2:34pm
Yet my PM goes unanswered and yet that mod who i pmed is posting away on the message board..

Well since we are going to call people out in threads instead of wait for a response to a PM - I can go there to. 16 minutes after you sent me the PM you posted this:

Have we made a decision and not informed us on the future of canadian sweeps? I noticed yesterday that my submitted contest posts were moved/deleted , so i send a pm to 2 mods and one just ignored me totally even to this post today i havent heard a reply but they post on the boards since my pm , and the other answered me stating "Looks like they were moved to local or they were already listed as an ongoing sweep" so with that i took their word that maybe i missed something and that they were for local only.

Today i went to see if i could find them again since yesterday i couldnt see them for some reason and today i see EVERY contest i submitted in the last few days that was for Canada only in Local section, with no reason, these are not small companys, this is for all of canada with no restrictions and contests that have ongoing contest that have been submitted here on OLS for a long time, and now all of a sudden they are all moved to local section ( 3 days worth) .. so with this i also check on another members submissions who submits canada contest and yup the last 2 days worth of her submissions are in local and same thing with her contest

So with this i PM another mod again and since i am impatient and they havent gotten back to me i figured i would ask in public what is going on, If this is the Mods/editors/brents decision to put all Canadian into local section then please let us know, If this isnt the reason could you please explain why the last 3 days worth of contests for canadians are in local section

thank you

I won't apologize for not dropping everything to respond to you ~ it wasn't some random PM that I could respond to quickly ~ so now I will take time out of my work day to respond since we have decided to make this public.

So what we've decided to do is one of two things, either we're going to delete most of the submitted Canadian-only sweeps and only accept some of the ones that have the better prizes and/or odds to win, or we're going to add a new volunteer editor or two that wants to specialize on checking and editing the submitted Canadian-only sweeps.

Nothing has changed since that statement - when it does Brent will let everyone know. It has taken me 30+ minutes to write this since I am at work but had to respond. No one is ignoring you or anyone ~ we are all here on a volunteer basis and answer questions, PM's when we can get to them. I have always responded to your PM's and never once left you hanging.

I think your backalley approach to just sweep us under the rug without letting us know is down right shady, You knew eventually someone was gonna figure it out and bring it to the table, I really think that we should be told this is happening

Is SO not a fair statement to make ~ when Brent makes a different decision, everyone will be informed. No one is in the dark about anything. No one is saying we will do away with Candian sweeps, etc. I think a lot of conclusions are being jumped to in this thread that if everyone could take a deep breath and read Brent's first post, would see that we are looking towards a resolution of the Canadian sweeps. No one is trying to exclude or single out anyone!!

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 2:43pm
First let me say Thank you Ziggywag for responding to this

Ok, I will try to update things but as of this moment I don't really know much of what's been going on. Things are still in discussion with TPTB.

So, in no particular order:

I am gathering this was 2 threads merged into one. If so it was most likely because it all goes back to the one subject ine the end not to ignore anything that was said in the second thread. As to PM'ing a Mod, well, resend it, it's possible it didn't go through. I have had that happen...LOL the little PM eating gremlins that live in cyberspace :).

You are correct here, my thread concening why ALL CANADA only submitted contest were moved, its about 6 post up from this reply . As for the pms i assure you they are being ignored, i have sent 2 out today and both have gone unanswered, But that is expected i guess as i am sure mods/editors/brent dont want to upset thier american base customers with saying they are not liking us Canadians and dont want us here no more. ( my opinion and feelings only)

Thanks to those who have offered to volunteer. I would like to add though that although it was a nice offer, if we decide to keep the Canadian sweeps on the main page and we take on a new volunteer, that person would need to be a Canadian resident as Brent stated. As it is, we cannot validate these sweeps because none of us are Canadian, we do our best but unless a Canadian reports a problem, we have no way of knowing what happens when you try to submit an entry.

Understandable, and you have 2 offers on the table that we know of and i think one ( not me) would be awsome but thats not my decision.

We have been moving most of them to locals unless there is a large prize. If a sweep is open to less than all of Canada (Quebec is the exception because they are often void) it would be sent to local regardless just as we send US sweeps open to under 10 states to locals. If it is further restricted - eg: I moved one yesterday that was Canada only 14 and younger. Too few eligible to enter to keep it on the front page.

So you can show me where 1 just one CANADA ONLY contest submitted since 2/25 is listed not in local? Since 2/25 all CANADA ONLY sweeps have been pushed to local only. What you are really saying is unless its a brand new home, car or $50k cash its not gonna hit the front page, and its gonna be pushed to locals only but its ok to list those contest that are Canada/US that is for a bumpersticker on the front page? This is discrimination period.

As to swiping, we are keeping on top of it and no one is accusing anyone in public. Several members have already been asked to stop, whether it's swiping from us to post elsewhere or vice-versa, it's not accepted here.

No you are correct, no names have been done publicly but you can pretty much see who the canadian posters of contest are without a problem

I wish this had a simple solution but unfortunately, in order to accomodate the large numbers of Canadian sweeps being posted as of late it would require some major changes to the site and we are just not sure the percentages justify those changes. Roughly 95% of our members are non-Canadian and we are talking about less than 5% of all the submitted sweeps that can only be entered by Canadians.

what changes would have to be made? it isnt like this is something that is new to OLS, how long as canadian sweeps been entered here, i am assuming the whole time, yet the only reason there seems to be a problem now is because you actually have a couple active people posting them finally and contributing to this site.

Marie
March 1st, 2005, 2:49pm
So you can show me where 1 just one CANADA ONLY contest submitted since 2/25 is listed not in local? Since 2/25 all CANADA ONLY sweeps have been pushed to local only. What you are really saying is unless its a brand new home, car or $50k cash its not gonna hit the front page, and its gonna be pushed to locals only but its ok to list those contest that are Canada/US that is for a bumpersticker on the front page? This is discrimination period.

I found one submitted on 2-27-05 and it's listed as premium. Do your research.

Marie

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 2:51pm
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Well since we are going to call people out in threads instead of wait for a response to a PM - I can go there to. 16 minutes after you sent me the PM you posted this:

:( I also stated in that post KB that i was impatient, I am sorry if me being impatient brought you to posting on this :( I pmed more then just you with no response.

I won't apologize for not dropping everything to respond to you ~ it wasn't some random PM that I could respond to quickly ~ so now I will take time out of my work day to respond since we have decided to make this public.

No i dont expect you too, Real life comes before this board and i wouldnt expect anything else, but in my defense when you send a pm to 2 mods/editors to try and get a answer and none come but you see both of those mods replying to threads making funnies it gets a bit dishearting, and as i told you in my 2nd pm that i felt like we were being unwanted and felt like dirt and i assure you this is not how how site is suppost to make people feel when they welcome you with open arms to take your premium membership money

Nothing has changed since that statement - when it does Brent will let everyone know. It has taken me 30+ minutes to write this since I am at work but had to respond. No one is ignoring you or anyone ~ we are all here on a volunteer basis and answer questions, PM's when we can get to them. I have always responded to your PM's and never once left you hanging.

But it has changed the Canada only contest since 2/25 are all being moved to local, it isnt certain ones its all CANADA ONLY ones. so to me that is a drastic change

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 2:54pm
I found one submitted on 2-27-05 and it's listed as premium. Do your research.

Marie

Oh my i am sorry one slipped thru my site :( 1 contest out of the how many submitted? That was a lowblow and down right rude

You know i got a feeling im gonna end up banned becuase i seem to be the vocal one and im starting to step on toes :(

LifeIsBeautiful
March 1st, 2005, 2:57pm
On a couple of "Canada only" contests sponsored by companies also doing business in the USA, I have sent an email to the sponsor suggesting (politely, of course) that they open the contest to the USA as well.

I point out that we buy their stuff too, and would like to be included.

The replies generally go "We'll consider it".

And we would like to be included in the US only sweeps as well, which FAR outnumber the amount of Canadian only sweeps. We also buy American products.

GTBuzz
March 1st, 2005, 2:58pm
myz,

I have read your posts and just MHO it might be more constructive to show a little respect for the volunteers here. Though this problem is of paramount importance to you, it is not the only problem the volunteers/admin are addressing today. You gave the admin/mods 16 minutes to answer your question before you publically called them out..that is rude. You were told that it is being looked into and you have had two different volunteers answer you and yet you still continue to complain. Lucky for you the admin here is so understanding because on another board this rudeness and questioning of the administration wouldn't be tolerated.

Marie
March 1st, 2005, 3:05pm
Oh my i am sorry one slipped thru my site :( 1 contest out of the how many submitted? That was a lowblow and down right rude

You know i got a feeling im gonna end up banned becuase i seem to be the vocal one and im starting to step on toes :(

You ASKED to be shown this proof while screaming about discrimination.

Rude is waiting 16 minutes before going public after not getting a response.

If you think that you're going to be banned, then why don't you stop?

Marie

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 3:05pm
myz,

I have read your posts and just MHO it might be more constructive to show a little respect for the volunteers here. Though this problem is of paramount importance to you, it is not the only problem the volunteers/admin are addressing today. You gave the admin/mods 16 minutes to answer your question before you publically called them out..that is rude. You were told that it is being looked into and you have had two different volunteers answer you and yet you still continue to complain. Lucky for you the admin here is so understanding because on another board this rudeness and questioning of the administration wouldn't be tolerated.

Hmm i am sorry but i dont feel i am being rude to any degree, yes i was impatient to get a reponse but what you fail to see if i send 2 pms 1 of which was not answered untill posted here by KB , and even in my initial post today it says i was impatient and that i pmed them.

I have alot of repsect and admiration for the people who are here daily making sure this site runs smooth, same as i have respect for the customers of this board who daily visit here to submit conests and give support to those who need it, yes the mods/editors do alot of work but so do the people who pay to be on this site and contribute to it.

LifeIsBeautiful
March 1st, 2005, 3:07pm
Umm..is that correct? That if a sweep is posted in "local" it cannot be added to "mysweeps"? Could someone please verify that for me? Thanks.

bewitched
March 1st, 2005, 3:10pm
A lot of us are VERY protective of our Mods and Editors. They deal with so much crap in public and a lot more in private. When anyone starts jumping all over them, calling them out and making false assumptions, then yeah, the claws start to come out. As KB said, your question was a biggie, not something that could be answered quickly. Give people a little time to give you an answer, maybe consult with one another, get all the facts.

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 3:13pm
You ASKED to be shown this proof while screaming about discrimination.

Rude is waiting 16 minutes before going public after not getting a response.

Yea i did ask, and thank you for pointing out that one out of around 30 canada only contests submitted since 2/25 has not been moved

Put yourself in my shoes ( Canadian side) how do you think i am going to react, i am upset, i feel like canadians are unwanted here, i felt that most of the mods/editors dont want canadian sweeps here.

As for you stating rude is waiting 16 minutes what about the pms sent last night that went unanswered? and why is it, now all of a sudden mods/editors are coming out of the woodwork

If you think that you're going to be banned, then why don't you stop?
Marie

because atm i dont think i have stepped out of lines, if i have i would hope that i would be pmed about it to stop and told why, But its just a gut feeling that this is what im being pushed too, and being quiet isnt going to solve anything

Ziggywag
March 1st, 2005, 3:13pm
We are all overlapping posts here now.

KBsocial has answered the PM issues, since I was never involved in that I cannot say more than I have on that issue.

We are aware we have 2 offers for volunteers but trust me when I say things like that can often take months. Editing is not as simple as it appears, a lot of training is involved and we still get sweeps posted all the time that the current editors turn to each other for advice on. The other thing I referred to about making changes, is Brent's offer to have buttons (or whatever) to allow people to alternate viewing all sweeps/Canada only etc ... and several changes would be needed in the editting program also which none of you would be aware of. I myself am semi-programming literate and these things take time. But, let's not forget, once again with the numbers...this is something for less than 5% of the members while Brent is still working on a lot of features for the site that will benefit ALL the members. This is not priority #1. As KB has said, we need to sit back and wait until a decision is made.

It is NOT discrimination to keep a sweep for a bumper sticker on the front page if it's US/Canada because in all likelyhood that sweep is open to 99.9% of our members (I am unsure how many non-US/Canadians are members here) We delete quite a few of the sweeps submitted that are US ONLY!!!!!! More than you know. But, if you see something for a prize as small as say a sticker or pen, whatever, it's usually from a site that we post a lot of sweeps from on a regular basis so we keep it because we keep all their others. So, please do not accuse us of discrimination. Because I myself posted a sweep which I admit, I didn't read the rules correctly, but it was open only to Singapore and Thailand (MTV Asia sweep) and it was DELETED!!!! Is that discrimination? Hehe, editors don't get special consideration if a sweep isn't up to our requirements.

But seriously, I have a question? Not to alienate anyone in any way shape or form, but why the big hassle? We welcome all of you here, you seem to be nice people from what I have seen (I'm not too active in the chit chat forums so I am not as known to many of you) but why raise such a fuss when there are sites out there that are for Canadian sweeps? There are plenty of sweeps here open to Canadians that are either US/Canada or open to all to make it worthwhile to come here and make friends, enter sweeps, play games...This whole todo is over less than 5% of all sweeps submitted and yes, it wasn't a problem for years until it became overwhelming with a lot of people wondering why 20 new or expiring sweeps a day were for Canada only, many blatently swiped from those same Canadian sites. I say again, unfortunately the number of Canadian members just doesn't justify having that many Canadian only sweeps.

amyshulk
March 1st, 2005, 3:17pm
myz,

Also myz, though I do understand where you are coming from, let's remember that they are volunteers, and each has their own way of easing into work. I know when I get up and on the comp, I can't just jump into doing my sweeps - I have to read and "catch up" first, and yes, maybe post a little too.

From previous posts by you, I see that being part of this community is important to you, and I'd hate to see you go, as would a great many others, I'm sure, so please give the mods/editors a chance to answer your questions. :gvibes:

gl, amy

Ziggywag
March 1st, 2005, 3:17pm
Umm..is that correct? That if a sweep is posted in "local" it cannot be added to "mysweeps"? Could someone please verify that for me? Thanks.

Yes that's correct. Only sweeps on the main page can be saved into MySweeps. None of the forums like locals, snails etc... can be saved.

AmberMoon
March 1st, 2005, 3:22pm
But seriously, I have a question? Not to alienate anyone in any way shape or form, but why the big hassle? We welcome all of you here, you seem to be nice people from what I have seen (I'm not too active in the chit chat forums so I am not as known to many of you) but why raise such a fuss when there are sites out there that are for Canadian sweeps? There are plenty of sweeps here open to Canadians that are either US/Canada or open to all to make it worthwhile to come here and make friends, enter sweeps, play games...This whole todo is over less than 5% of all sweeps submitted and yes, it wasn't a problem for years until it became overwhelming with a lot of people wondering why 20 new or expiring sweeps a day were for Canada only, many blatently swiped from those same Canadian sites. I say again, unfortunately the number of Canadian members just doesn't justify having that many Canadian only sweeps.

:( me personally its because i like the pople here, I also have the advantage of being residence of 2 countries and while this only impacts me 1/2 the time i feel that if the tables were turned and all of a sudden say brent moved to canada and wanted to put the us stuff into local people would throw a fit also.

I will sit back after this post and let this ride out, i have made my say and i want to thank you Ziggy for actually being very calm and acutally posting usefull information for my questuons

For the rest of the mods/editors i have to say i am sorry, maybe i got a bit over emotional on this subject and made our claws comeout ( as another poster stated) and i would like to publicly appoligize if i made any of you feel like i was being rude or mean, i didnt make that my intent, Again i am sorry

yadgirl
March 1st, 2005, 3:25pm
Just curious - how many Canada sweeps sites list U.S. only sweeps?

Every editor at this site is a volunteer and also a sweeper. The more time we spend editing, the less time we have for entering sweeps.

yad

ditschler
March 1st, 2005, 3:32pm
Hey Myz at least all of your posts get to stay on this thread. Mine have a habit of disappearing. Not just edited where if something I say upsets the mods and editors but completely deleted. I can be harsh when trying to make a point and they dont like that.

But I will still add that if they are going to treat the Canadian sweeps in the manner of moving them to the forums. Then all Canadian members should get a full refund of their memberships. And that a Canadian only sweep should never be made a premium sweep.

I still consider the Canadian members family and think their sweeps should be treated the same as everyone elses. Unfortunately the editors and mods do not feel that way.

Ziggywag
March 1st, 2005, 3:33pm
Put yourself in my shoes ( Canadian side) how do you think i am going to react, i am upset, i feel like canadians are unwanted here, i felt that most of the mods/editors dont want canadian sweeps here.

As for you stating rude is waiting 16 minutes what about the pms sent last night that went unanswered? and why is it, now all of a sudden mods/editors are coming out of the woodwork

No one ever said we don;t want you here.

And yes, we are crawling out of the woodwork today when we have very little time to do so, we were all quiet yesterday and speaking for myself, because I was more concerned with getting in all my 2-28-05 expiring sweeps which once again, with all my good intentions of getting done throughout the month but getting sidetracked with other things, I had about 3/4 undone as of 5PM yesterday. And today....it's the first of the month which means more new sweeps submitted than any other day of the month. So we have been busy editing, or some of us have - not me though which I apologize to the other eds for -, yet we are coming out of the woodwork to handle this while I really need to get in the editors section and help out too and enter my sweeps for today and go shovel a foot of snow off my walkway and maybe cook dinner and maybe fold some laundry...

Marie
March 1st, 2005, 3:34pm
Yea i did ask, and thank you for pointing out that one out of around 30 canada only contests submitted since 2/25 has not been moved

You asked for one. I found it.

I've always supported and defended Canadian sweepstakes. Before you and dawnegreg started posting a lot of them, I used to post Canadian sweepstakes.

I usually don't read anything until it hits the Top 10 list on the main page. That's why I noticed this thread. And when someone states something untrue, I do my research. I don't know anything about PMs from last night. If you're talking about KB not answering you, I'm sure she would have contacted you as soon as she knew something.

because atm i dont think i have stepped out of lines, if i have i would hope that i would be pmed about it to stop and told why, But its just a gut feeling that this is what im being pushed too, and being quiet isnt going to solve anything

Maybe patience would help.

Marie

LifeIsBeautiful
March 1st, 2005, 3:35pm
Ok..I have something to say. I enjoy this site, I really do. That's why I paid for my premium membership, that and the "mysweeps" feature.

It's becoming a Canadian/US issue when it really shouldn't. My problem is that I am a paying customer, I paid for a service, which I have been receiving, and now it's going to change? For the worse? What am I paying for? I want, and I have to add, I expect to get what all the other paying members receive.

I belong to the population of paying customers as well as the 5% (or whatever it may be) Canadian population.

I am not trying to add any fuel to the fire here, just trying to clarify some things. I would like to continue to be part of this site.

If the Canadian sweeps (the majority) are going to be posted in the "Local" section, I will not be able to add them to my sweeps, part of what I have paid for with my premium subscription.

I'm not really looking for an editor or mod to reply to this (unless you want to of course), I just wanted my concerned put out there.

Thanks.

mcclave
March 1st, 2005, 3:53pm
I don't know what all it takes to do the job of an editor or a moderator, nor do I pretend to know. I would imagine that this time of the month with soooo many sweeps ending and begining it is a busy time for yall.

I also think that myz has shown a vey positive effort to resolve her problem and would be a good person for taking care of the Canadian sweeps if that is what is decided that will be done.

I for one like myz very much as she makes more than just sweep contibutions to the site she is also a positive influence in the forums.

How did we get people are swiping sweeps from this:

Canadian Sweeps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, OLS has been receiving a relatively large number of submitted sweeps that are open to Canadians only. While we have usually given Canadian-only sweeps the same considerations for inclusion into the OLS sweeps directory as we have any other sweep, it has gotten to the point where both the editors and I are questioning that policy.

Considering the relatively small number of OLS members who are Canadian sweepers, we do not think it's worth investing the significant amount of additional time and resources that are necessary in order to check and edit the increased number of sweepstakes and contests that only Canadians are eligible to enter.

I should also mention that most of the recent abundance of submitted Canadian-only sweeps tend to have fewer and smaller prizes than most of the other sweeps that we list. While this is by no means a make-or-break factor in deciding whether or not to include any sweep in the sweeps directory, it is a consideration.

I wish we could perfectly accommodate everybody, I wish we could list every single legitimate sweepstakes and contest in the world the the day before it starts. But what we want and what's actually possible or practical are usually two different things, and this case, unfortunately, is no exception.

Any Canadians who wish to volunteer as a Canadian sweeps editor should send a private message stating so to either kbsocial or myself. Until we add a new volunteer or two willing to take on the Canadian-only sweeps, OLS will only include Canadian-only sweeps that we feel, at our sole discretion, are worth taking the additional time and effort to check and edit.

Our priority is and always will be sweepstakes and contests that are open to the vast majority of our members, most all of which (~95+%) are residents of the USA.

Any comments or thoughts, particularly from our Canadian members, are welcomed and will be appreciated.

Brent

yadgirl
March 1st, 2005, 4:00pm
Ok..I have something to say. I enjoy this site, I really do. That's why I paid for my premium membership, that and the "mysweeps" feature.

It's becoming a Canadian/US issue when it really shouldn't. My problem is that I am a paying customer, I paid for a service, which I have been receiving, and now it's going to change? For the worse? What am I paying for? I want, and I have to add, I expect to get what all the other paying members receive.

I belong to the population of paying customers as well as the 5% (or whatever it may be) Canadian population.

I am not trying to add any fuel to the fire here, just trying to clarify some things. I would like to continue to be part of this site.

If the Canadian sweeps (the majority) are going to be posted in the "Local" section, I will not be able to add them to my sweeps, part of what I have paid for with my premium subscription.

I'm not really looking for an editor or mod to reply to this (unless you want to of course), I just wanted my concerned put out there.

Thanks.

I move the California sweeps to local also. California's population is the same as Canada's.

I move most sweeps open only to NJ, NY, and CT to local. Same goes for any sweeps that are open to a fairly small number of people.

What we're really discussing here is a matter of population.

yad

NannetteRy
March 1st, 2005, 4:08pm
1. First and foremost, yes Canadians are our neighbors and our friends. I worked for the Royal Bank of Canada in NYC for several years and made quite a few friends to the North.

2 .We are not trying to alienate them nor are we discriminating against them or any others. We do "weed out" many sweeps. We even have one member who graciously posts all of the sweeps she finds in a thread called Hasama's Contest Corner February '05 (every month a new thread is started). Those are for sweeps that have vague rules, small prizes etc... that we cannot validate to meet our validation requirements. And really!!! What exactly is a small prize? Well, to some a book or a CD may be small but I have seen others post they won't enter anything with an ARV of less than $5,000. Food for thought isn't it? No one should decide what is "worth" posting or not as long as it's a valid sweepstakes. But that's just MHO.

4. In Brent's post he is clearly requesting a CANADIAN volunteer to handle the Canadian sweeps editing but until such time, the current editors have a hard time validating sweeps that as US citizens we can't enter to see if they work. Considering the small percentage of Canadian members on OLS vs. the large number of Canadian only sweeps being posted lately, this is a very generous offering on his part.

5. Some sweeps are ongoing and have no ending date so we cannot just stop posting anything without a date. In a perfect world they would all be 1x entries open to all with short entry periods and fantatistic prizes but LOL this is reality sweepstaking. :)

Very well said! :clap:

freehand
March 1st, 2005, 4:12pm
Yad, in response to your question, several Canada sweeps sites list US only sweeps. When they do that, they let Americans know that they are welcome and that US only sweeps will be marked with that header (US only).

In contrast, many Canadian sites only have Canadian sweeps or sweeps open to both US and Canada. Therefore, they SPECIFICALLY state that the site is for Canadians only and not for Americans (because it would be rotten to charge an American a fee and then not provide an equivalent service). An example would be Contest Canada which is for Canadians only.

I have no problem with American sites which are open to Americans only. When I wanted to join sweepsheet I was very nicely informed that my money wouldn't be accepted because she was open to US folks only. I wasn't upset and didn't feel discriminated against.

So, if a site was to change to American only due to only 5% of patrons being Canadian, I would happily accept a refund and move on. I wouldn't say "oh, lucky me, I get to chat and play games so that's worth the money".

Just my opinion. Many of my compatriates on other sites are anxiously awaiting the results of this discussion (I was telling people to join until Sunday!)

Susan

ISLABONITA
March 1st, 2005, 4:13pm
Is there a way to have US and Canada sweeps under one heading then the Canada and US only under another?

Ziggywag
March 1st, 2005, 4:14pm

Thanks.

I understand your concerns but this matter just started happening very recently due to the large number of submitted sweeps that are Canada only. Anyone who paid for premium membership months ago, did so with very few Canada only sweeps so for them it apparently was worth paying for the ability to save the other sweeps they can enter that are open to all or are US/Canada plus all the other features available as a paid member. BTW, those sweeps account for about 95% of all the Canada eligible sweeps, maybe a little less now with the new Canada only coming in in record numbers. So bottom line is...you will still be able to save more than 90% of the ones you enter to MySweeps, just like those of us here in the states since we can't save the local ones we enter either. And one never knows what new features the site will offer in the future :)

ditschler
March 1st, 2005, 4:23pm
Here is a solution no one has mentioned yet. Since this site is getting more members everyday and that there are more paying members everyday. Maybe Brent should think about hiring a couple of poeple whose soul job is to edit sweeps. That way the editors can not say they dont have time because they have a real job also. But it will be their real job to edit sweeps. Then the site could do more to expand into the Canadian market making it a more profitable site. The mods could remain volunteers for now but as time goes by and the site keeps growing they may have to be replaced with paid employees also.

Until then we do have 3 volunteers to edit the Canadian sweeps and the quicker we take advantage of those volunteers the better. Because this is getting to be quite the argument, and even though I am a US member I have to side with the Canadians on this one.

prezli
March 1st, 2005, 4:24pm
This is not a Canada vs US issue. As editors we used to defend having Canadian sweeps on the front page, but lately the ratio of Canadian sweeps vs the actual population of our membership has gotten outrageous. Plus many of the sweeps were poorly posted, rules were vague and it was taking us up to 20 or 30 minutes to clean up one listing. When 20 show up, well you do the math. Then we start researching where these posts are coming from and find many, post for post swiped off another site. Brent highly dissaproves of this. He is appalled when it happens to him. He has stated that much publicly. So here we sit, day after day with up to 30-40 percent Canadian sweeps swiped off of another site that we have to edit to conform with the look of ols. It was overwhelming. When I stated the swiping issue yesterday, someone accused me of swiping. Not a way to win friends and influence people on the editors staff. There are a few of the editors (me included) that post an abundance of these sweeps that everyone enters. We all have systems, we all know when the contests are reposted on certain sites. We ALL get our posts stolen within twenty four hours or less and it is upsetting. For us to sit back and condone it here would be hypocrisy.

LifeIsBeautiful
March 1st, 2005, 4:25pm
What we're really discussing here is a matter of population.

yad

Ok then, I belong to the population that are premium members.

prezli
March 1st, 2005, 4:32pm
Ok then, I belong to the population that are premium members.

And there are tons of US/Canada sweeps. The reason we had Canadian members in the first place was because of this. This influcts of tons of Canadian sweeps only started a few short months ago. I have been an editor for quite awhile, I know when it started. It also is apparent to us that the sites that these Canadian sweeps are meandering over from DO NOT offer US sweeps. I am not going there and crying fowl.

hofma2
March 1st, 2005, 4:33pm
the "Canada Only" sweepstakes listings, but feel the North's pain. But even if all the "Canada Only" Sweeps were removed, Canadian's still get a lot from OLS with or without membership. Someone mentioned that Canadian Sweep Sites aren't that good...I am sure that he/she is comparing these site to OLS. This site is the best...with or without the "Canada Only" sweeps. Here is a link to the Canada Sweep Sites I found...it may be much easier for you Northern sweepers to go to these sites to do Canada sweeps...then OLS to do the US/Canada sweeps. Putting myself in your shoes (warm-boots), I wouldn't be too bothered with the removal of these "Canada Only" sweeps.

Canada Sweeps Resources (http://www.somewhereincanada.com/contests/resources/weblinks.shtml)

I think Brent, that you should put up a poll and let majority rule so no black toner is spilled and no hard feelings surface.

BTW, I love Canada...I go there every year and I am so impressed...no or very little LAWN ORNAMENTS...my pet peeve. I dispise lawn ornaments and dream of publishing a LO-trashing, coffee-table book of the worst...betcha no Canadian yards will be highlighted in the pages :laugh:

Ziggywag
March 1st, 2005, 4:52pm
Ok I am coming out with it once and for all...bottom line is

MYSWEEPS!!!!

That's what it boils down to, face it, the Canada only sites have an awful lot more Canadian sweeps than we list here. And not one of them that I am aware of has a feature such as MySweeps. I feel your pain, truly. I wish I could save locals and snails (especially snails since they cost money and are time consuming)

But...we are talking about 5% - tops 10% of the sweeps you CAN enter and save to MySweeps. There are just as many or more sweeps that I am eligible for as a NY resident that are in locals that I also can't save to MySweeps.

Maybe this is why a lot of people download a program called Sweep that Brent has listed in his Sweepstakes Software link CLICK HERE (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/directory/software/)

I had it at one time, it was great once it was set up, I lost it when my comp was formatted and with the MySweeps feature allowing over 500 to be saved, I trust that I will remember the ones I enter through locals or I sometimes try to keep track by having a system for entering, like do them the day they are posted, keep a notepad saying I did the ones posted 2-28-05. Or whatever. It's not hard since there aren't that many. Or do the Sweep program just for those and MySweeps for the 90-95% that you can save on OLS.

LifeIsBeautiful
March 1st, 2005, 5:03pm
I am going to refrain from further posting in this thread as it has become out of hand, and I am not here to argue. I shall wait and see what has been decided by Brent and then make my decisions from there.

Marie
March 1st, 2005, 5:14pm
I am going to refrain from further posting in this thread as it has become out of hand, and I am not here to argue. I shall wait and see what has been decided by Brent and then make my decisions from there.

:cool2:

chinchilla
March 1st, 2005, 5:34pm
I am going to refrain from further posting in this thread as it has become out of hand, and I am not here to argue. I shall wait and see what has been decided by Brent and then make my decisions from there. That's exactly what we should all do. The issue could be debated until long after the cows come home, but the bottom line is that it's up to Brent.

As far as I know, moving Canadian sweeps to the local forum is a temporary measure until we can resolve the editing and swiping issues.

Cahaba Lily
March 1st, 2005, 6:15pm
Myz, please chill. IMHO you are upset and the poster who's user name starts with D is only fanning the flames. Keep in mind the OP's intent for this discussion and quit rising to the bait. I expect to be flamed for posting a bit of common sense to the inflamatory remarks that has incited this bit of drama.

As far as I'm concerned you are a much welcomed member of the OLS community. I think Brent's plea for volunteers, and the Editors request for help to be legitimate and reasonable.

Please step out of the forums until tomorrow to enable yourself to calm down and to absorb the information provided to you by the volunteers for this site. Well wishes and :gvibes: !

mcclave
March 1st, 2005, 6:21pm
Here is a solution no one has mentioned yet. Since this site is getting more members everyday and that there are more paying members everyday. Maybe Brent should think about hiring a couple of poeple whose soul job is to edit sweeps. That way the editors can not say they dont have time because they have a real job also. But it will be their real job to edit sweeps. Then the site could do more to expand into the Canadian market making it a more profitable site. The mods could remain volunteers for now but as time goes by and the site keeps growing they may have to be replaced with paid employees also.

Until then we do have 3 volunteers to edit the Canadian sweeps and the quicker we take advantage of those volunteers the better. Because this is getting to be quite the argument, and even though I am a US member I have to side with the Canadians on this one.

Yes this is true, this site is growing and instead of discouraging it's growth, it should be embraced. I don't suppose Bill Gates thought he would be where he is today when he was a kid tinkering around in his garage either. Whatca going to do when you have the best place and everybody wants to be here. We are already the best in the USA so why not the best in Canada too!

marvind1944
March 1st, 2005, 6:23pm
I wholeheartedly agree with your decision Brent. Great idea. Thanks. I love OLS.

Karen_246
March 1st, 2005, 7:32pm

Well, I'm sure you'll take this as a personal attack - but most of the mods and editors were the biggest defenders of having the Canadian sweeps listed on the front page. Yes DEFENDERS, we were rallying to keep them listed on the front page. So you should probably get your story correct before you start accusing us of anything. You are letting certain people fuel the fire and getting wound up for nothing - we have never said that the Canadian sweeps were going to be gone. We have been changing things dramatically and stating our points so that the Canadian sweeps stayed. Some of the people defending them now were the ones 3 months ago that wanted them moved into their own forum.

ditschler
March 1st, 2005, 9:41pm
one last post before I step on to many toes today. Everyone likes to refer to the Canadian members as the 5%. Lets put a real number to that. 5% equals to over 3400 members. Lets keep that number in mind rather than the 5% number.

prezli
March 1st, 2005, 9:53pm
one last post before I step on to many toes today. Everyone likes to refer to the Canadian members as the 5%. Lets put a real number to that. 5% equals to over 3400 members. Lets keep that number in mind rather than the 5% number.

I do not think there are 3400 Canadian members here. How many have been vocal in this thread? I think the number is much, much lower than that. This is by no means a Canadian hating thread, this is Brent and the Mods and Editors trying to resolve an issue that has been going on for a while. This issue does not involve you at all. Brent is looking for the best solution for everyone INVOLVED. Last I checked, that would not be you. You have said some really nasty things about the editors, you have been abrasive (to say the least), your opinion no longer holds water. We listen when people are reasonable, we shut down when people behave like you.

yadgirl
March 2nd, 2005, 1:01am
It's probably more like 2% Canada or less.

We could take a poll.

yad

littlebit870
March 2nd, 2005, 8:10am
Everyone really needs to cool down. We (Mods/Editors/Brent) have stated that we are working on the best solution. Yes we do discuss just about everything that goes on here. We try to take our time and make the best decision. Brent said he may add a feature to take care of the problem. Folks, it takes time to write the code etc to add a feature. We are working on this and as soon as we have a decision we will let everyone know.

I also would like to cover the swiping of sweeps When we state someone is swiping Sweeps, we need everyone to understand that it means someone is using copy and paste. Editors spend hours editing only to have someone copy and paste the exact words and format they use to another site. In other words they do all the work making them look nice and clean and it is just not cool to copy and paste their hard work. We do not own the sweepstakes that are on the web to be found by anyone....we do have a right to tell members that we do not want them swiping our formatted sweeps. We do not want anyone swiping sweeps word for word from other sites to post here.

As I said at the beginning everyone needs to chill. It is not cool to attack anyone in a post. It makes no difference if the person attacked is a Mod/editor/or a regular Member, we do not/will not allow personal attacks per the rules......

The following are strictly prohibited:

Personal attacks; trolling; flaming; and any messages that are knowingly false, deceptive, inaccurate, defamatory, derogatory, abusive, inflammatory, disruptive, insulting, hateful, threatening or otherwise violative of any laws.

Copying any copyrighted material from another web site, message board or newsletter and posting or submitting it to Online-Sweepstakes.com. Quoting news articles and other material is generally permissible for discussion purposes under the principle of fair use. Whenever possible, links to sources should be included in your post.

Publicly challenging the decisions of the owner, administrators, moderators or editors on the web site. This includes any speculation or discussion about why any notes, posts or threads were removed or edited and why specific members have been banned. Such questions, problems and concerns will only be addressed individually and privately through PMs (private messages) or email, only with the person(s) who are directly involved, and only as long as the person(s) involved conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Continuing to break rules, further antagonizing the problem(s), making threats or false accusations, or any attempts or acts of any other form of retaliation will result in an immediate and indefinite banishment from the site, and without any notice. Respect and consideration will only be given when it is received.

Ok stick a fork in me cause I am done !

mcclave
March 2nd, 2005, 9:11am
I agree with one thing for sure. Though I can understand this being a touchy subject for some, I cannot agree with the sheer unkindness that has been spoken here between some of yall it is all uncalled for.

When I read the original post what I got out of it was: People with constructive comments and ideas, let's hear them. People that might like to volunteer their time to the issue at hand let your names be posted.

I for the life of me don't understand where all the rest of this mean crud evolves from.

:chill: :chill: :chill: :chill: :chill: :chill: :chill: Chill pills for everyone!!!