PDA

View Full Version : Database Server Was Down

Brent
May 22nd, 2002, 4:54pm
Hi all,

From 3:22 - 3:36pm ET the database server this site uses was temporarily down. If you tried to access the forums or MySweeps (among other things) during this time, you got an error message. The sweepstakes directory (except for the search function) was unaffected because it's all static html pages.

Web site traffic has increased by leaps & bounds over the last few months, especially during the last 3 weeks. Page views in the sweepstakes directory (the main site) have doubled in just the last month. Forum traffic has decreased since the beginning of April, but has recently started picking up again. Though the increased traffic might have something to do with it, it shouldn't have caused the whole database server to go down. I'm waiting to possibly hear something from my web host about what happened. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

By June, I'm probably going to have to move the site to a different server. I'm not going to change web hosts, but I'm going to have to upgrade to possibly a high-volume account to handle all the increased traffic. And if traffic continues to grow like it has been, I'll be moving to a dedicated server in a few months, which will allow me to do a lot of things I can't do now.

I suppose I could have worse problems than too much traffic! :smile3:

Brent

Balayeur
May 22nd, 2002, 9:46pm
....Traffic Jams !... Brent, are you eventually going to solict advertisers, etc. for the site ? I feel you should be recompensed for all your work/time !

...How is your girlfriend's brother doing ? Hope things are going well w/ him.

G.

Brent
May 25th, 2002, 3:21pm
I never heard anything from my web host about what happened on Wednesday. However, there was a huge spike in traffic during that hour, so I would guess that had something to do with it.

Hi G,

Yep, ads are coming, probably this weekend. :( I do get some revenue from some of the sweeps in the directory, but not nearly enough to get by. I don't like having to put up ads anymore than you guys are going to like seeing them, but they are a necessity if this site is going to survive. I'll be as cool about them as I possibly can, but it has to be done. I'll post more about it later this weekend.

My girlfriend's brother found out a couple of weeks ago that he's going to have to go through chemotherapy or radiation. I guess, the cancer was really close to his brain when they removed most of it a month ago. I don't know much more than that so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and help out if and when they need me for anything.

Thanks G. :smile3:

Brent

uglyboyjohn
May 26th, 2002, 1:35am
Brent just a thought about the ads. Go for the big Guns like micro soft IBM all the Big Hitters you have a very high traffic web site here, lots of hits per day (your not Google yet) But this site directs a lot of people to all over the web!
Who knows maybe Microsoft will Give you a X-Box & some games for your own contest, seems to me that's there counter strategies to win Marketshare in the gaming world
Bills big on games, he's always posting coments on PC World all the time on the new Games.
Sorry didn't mean to rant :smile4:

Brent
May 26th, 2002, 2:33am
Hi John,

Congratulations on making 'Senior Sweeper'. I see you've already added your custom avatar. Thanks for all the contributions you've made over the last couple of months, your new rank is well deserved my friend. :)

I would love to be able to get the 'big guns' in here as advertisers, but unfortunately, this site is still a peon in the web world. Yes, traffic now is much higher now than it ever has been and it continues to grow 5 - 10 % a week- a blistering pace, I couldn't be happier. But I've got a long ways to go before the big boys will give this site a second look.

There are some very promising signs of things to come- I'm starting to get more and more "Add a Sweep" submissions from some of the bigger, more well-known websites and just last week a representative of Vavoline's ad agency sent me an email inquiring about what kind of traffic the site gets. I have no doubt that I'll get there eventually, but I still have a ways to go. And with all the great people here (such as yourself) and everyone's generous contributions, it will get there sooner than later. :smile4:

Brent

yadgirl
May 26th, 2002, 2:58am
Brent,

Nothing to do with the topic. This is in reference to radiation your "brother-in-law" may have to have. I've been there, done that. I'm fine. I had 11 brain surgeries and Photon knife surgery all in the course of a year.

It wasn't brain cancer but a huge 7 cm malformation deep in my brain (a birth defect). I'm still fully functional. A little weak on the left side, but I always have been.

I think the Gamma knife, Photon knife and linear accelerator are all very safe as long as you have a team of scientists, engineers, and doctors working with you.

kc

Brent
May 26th, 2002, 4:06am
Hi kc,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I'll be sure to pass it on to my girlfriend's family. I can't begin to imagine what you must have gone through (11 brain surgeries? wow). I'm extremely happy to hear that it all worked out for you. It definitely gives me a boost of confidence that everything will also work out well for Jack, as I am sure it will for his family.

Thank you again. :)

Brent

khill
May 26th, 2002, 10:14am
Brent, as you may or may not remember, I went through chemo last year. Strapped the chemo bag on, played golf, etc. I realize that I was one of the luckier ones, but the worst side effect I had was fatigue with the first chemo, and muscle aches (like the flu) with the Taxol. Tell him to think positive and if he possibly is able, to stay active to keep his mind off it! Even though none of us know him, we'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers (your girlfriend, too). K