PDA

View Full Version : A Few Changes to MySweeps

Brent
March 21st, 2002, 4:14am
Hi all,

The little window that pops-up to load MySweeps (if you have any) will no longer pop-up on each page. In fact, it should hardly ever pop-up at all. It will definitely be a lot less noticeable.

I also solved the problem with the MySweeps page being cached. A lot of the problems some of you have had sounded like it might have been because the MySweeps page was being cached either by your browser or your ISP. This will not happen anymore. Now, you can also bookmark it if you like without having to worry about getting bad results.

I haven't noticed or heard of any problems lately so MySweeps must be working well. Anyone still experiencing problems having to manually log-in the site the last few days? Joni?

Brent

JoniHaynes
March 21st, 2002, 11:40am
Hi, Brent!
Well, as of day before yesterday, no matter how many sweeps I added to mysweeps, when I checked, I got the message that I had no sweeps in mysweeps. I will try again later today, and let you know wassup!
Thanks,

Joni

JoniHaynes
March 21st, 2002, 6:50pm
Okay, I just went in and added several sweeps to mysweeps. Here is what I saw after that, when I went in to see the sweeps I had saved:

Hello JoniHaynes!

You don't have any MySweeps saved.

Oh, well; it's not that big a deal, Brent. Don't lose any "sweep" over it!! I still love the site!

Joni

llabue
March 23rd, 2002, 5:05pm
Hi Brent,

I am getting the same message as Joni. No big deal for me, it will be great when it is working, but I am getting along without.....

I will keep trying to save to it and let you know if my luck changes...

Thanks,
lisa

Brent
March 23rd, 2002, 5:23pm
Hi lisa, are you on a Mac?

Brent

llabue
March 24th, 2002, 5:33pm
Hi Brent,

Yes, I am....how did you guess?

Let me know if there is help for me:(

lisa

Brent
March 24th, 2002, 7:02pm
Because Joni is on a Mac also. That means the problems you two are having are more than likely related to the browser you are using. I would guess that for some reason, the MySweeps cookie isn't being set properly. If you could do me a favor to test this theory out, I'll see if I can't fix the problem.

Go to the main directory and click on a couple of MySweeps buttons to add a few sweeps to your list. Don't go to the MySweeps page. Instead, after adding a few MySweeps, come right back here and click on this link:

<a href="javascript:if(document.cookie.length<1){alert('No%20cookie%20for%20this%20site.')}else{alert('Cookie%20for%20this%20site:'+document.cooki e)}">click here</a>

It's a little javascript code that will display all the cookies that are on your computer from this web site. Tell me if you see anything that looks like this:

mysweeps=%2C354%2C344%2C232%2C

The important part to look for is the "mysweeps=". That will tell me if the cookies are being set by your browser or not.

I design everything on a Windows PC with Internet Explorer 6. I also test things out with Netscape 4.77 and sometime Opera 6. All the different browsers and different operating systems do things a little bit differently so it's not easy trying to get everything to work all the time on every browser on every operating system. The Mac is obviously the toughest system for me to test things out on considering I don't have one. But with your help and a little tinkering, we should be able to get it working for you.

Thanks,
Brent

lisa54
March 24th, 2002, 8:17pm
Hi Brent, I'm the other Lisa and I'm using a mac OS9 on an ibook with IE 5.0 ( I think) and everything is working great. Hope everyone elses problems get solved.
Lisa

Brent
March 24th, 2002, 8:27pm
Hmmm, that's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Joni and llabue, what browser and version number are you using? You can get the browser version number by clicking on "Help" at the top of your browser window and selecting "About Internet Explorer" (if it's Internet Explorer).

JoniHaynes
March 24th, 2002, 8:39pm
Hi, Brent...
I use Netscape 4.something; I had Netscape 6.0, but dumped it quite a while back because it gave me problems.

Joni

Sue
March 25th, 2002, 9:33am
Brent, I had planned to post a note today that everything was working fine, but I had a nonfatal problem that might be a precursor.

I use a PC with ME and IE 6.0.

I have 25 dailies saved in MySweeps. The MySweeps page didn't fully load and just cut off at the bottom in the middle of 1 of the sweeps. Everything looked clean before the cut off.

Because I thought I read that I might have problems with refreshes, I backed out and re-entered the page. It looked fine.

I wasn't on the forum at the time.

llabue
March 25th, 2002, 11:48am
Hi Brent,

I am using IE 5 on my mac.

I did as you asked and this is the message that I received:

Cookie for this site:blastvisit=1015102720;bbuserid=949;changed=;mysweeps=;sessionhash=146c125fd3d0af9c5d0d0df28c47e d6e;bbthreadview[20833]=1017074052;username=llabue;none=1;changed=;mysweeps=

I have not gone back into my sweeps to check, I wasn't sure if you wanted me to just yet. Let me know what you would like me to do next. I would be happy to help you troubleshoot.

the other lisa

JoniHaynes
March 25th, 2002, 12:23pm
When I followed your instructions, Brent, I got 5 long lines of code (none of which mentioned mysweeps) which I was unable to copy and/or paste here. Sorry!

Joni

Brent
March 27th, 2002, 1:28am
The first thing everyone should do is upgrade to the latest version of the browser you're using. Internet Explorer is highly recommended.

All browsers and different versions of each browser work differently. Older browsers often times can't read some of the code used to properly display web pages. The newest versions of the different browsers don't work alike either, they don't all follow the same standards. In order to accommodate all the different browsers, sometimes I have to write 2, occasionally 3 versions of the same code that I use to enable some of the more advanced features on this site. Internet Explorer is the browser used by 90% of people who surf the Internet. That's why most web sites (including this one) are designed to look best (or sometimes even work) when viewed with the latest IE browser.

The only way you can be 100% sure that everything on this web site will look and work the way it's supposed to is by using Internet Explorer 6 on a Windows computer. Internet Explorer versions 4 and above (pc & Mac) and Netscape 6+ (pc & Mac) should all work reasonably well. If you use anything else, you're probably going to run into some problems and I recommend that you upgrade your browser.

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-7287394.html?tag=dir

Joni, I suggest you switch to the latest version of IE for the Mac. MySweeps works for the most part on Netscape 4 for the pc, but I have no idea what it does on a Mac. If you can't or don't want to upgrade, try the instructions I give the other lisa below. It might work for you too.

Sue, sometimes web pages don't load fully. It happens every now and then. MySweeps won't be affected in anyway if a page doesn't load all the way. Refresh/reload and you'll be fine.

the other lisa, in a few minutes I'm going to change the MySweeps page so that the options buttons appear when you don't have any MySweeps saved. Go to the MySweeps page and click on the button that says "Clear MySweeps Cookie" and click yes on the alert box that pops up. Then click on the button that says "Enable Multiple Login" so that it says "Disable Multiple Login". After that, restart your computer (it should also work if you close all your browser windows for a few seconds and then reopen your browser). Once you've done that, try to add a few sweeps to MySweeps and then go to the MySweeps page. If it doesn't work, come back here, click on the display cookie link in the post above and show me what it says.

Thanks ladies, :wink3:
Brent

llabue
March 27th, 2002, 8:24am
Brent,

Did as you asked but still not luck. Here is the new info:

Cookie for this site:blastvisit=1015102720;bbuserid=949;changed=;mysweeps=;sessionhash=e06b079c052997490701edb92693e b86
d6e;bbthreadview[20833]=1017234872;username=llabue;none=1;multiple=1;changed=;mysweeps=

Thanks for all the extra help. Sorry to be such a problem child.....:help:

lisa

llabue
March 27th, 2002, 3:16pm
Hi Brent,

I just wanted to tell you what I did...

I also have a Sony Vaio that runs Windows XP (I just use the MAC more). I got on the website and logged in, went into the daily sweeps and saved three to my sweeps. Checked and they were there. Left the PC and went to the mac and they are here......so although it doesn't really solve the problem, I have figured a way to get it to work for me.

I also was not sure if by doing that, that maybe it would give you additional information......

Again, let me know if you would like me to try again from the mac to save into my sweeps.:bow:

lisa