PDA

View Full Version : Void Where Prohibited....

Sallymander
November 14th, 2004, 4:04pm
Who "in the know" can tell me if this refers to Florida quite frequently? I really want to understand what it is about FLorida that makes the contest creators think we have scurvy, leprosy or some other malady worthy of banishment from participation. Some say flat out Void in FLorida ... but I'm more concerned about "Void Where Prohibited By Law" in that I might type my little fingers to the bone with entries only to be axed before the drawing. Can someone fill me in on this stuff? Thaking you in advance!

skennedy62
November 14th, 2004, 4:12pm
I often hear folks in Florida say that many sweeps do not apply to them. Why, I'm not sure. :worry:

Maprinces3
November 14th, 2004, 4:24pm
I was so happy when I moved from FL to GA! :cheer7: More Sweeps

Texsweeper
November 14th, 2004, 6:46pm
In 1998 the Florida legislature enacted a strict "Honesty in Sweepstakes Act" designed to protect the large elderly population that was being hoodwinked by some not so legitimate companties. Unfortunately, the law must make it difficult for all companies to carry out sweepstakes, so it is just easier not to include the state at all.

California sweepers are also victims of laws that prevent sweepstakes that are presented by companies that sell alcohol.

Tex

IwannaWin2
November 15th, 2004, 12:37am
Who "in the know" can tell me if this refers to Florida quite frequently? I really want to understand what it is about FLorida that makes the contest creators think we have scurvy, leprosy or some other malady worthy of banishment from participation. Some say flat out Void in FLorida ... but I'm more concerned about "Void Where Prohibited By Law" in that I might type my little fingers to the bone with entries only to be axed before the drawing. Can someone fill me in on this stuff? Thaking you in advance!

Sweeps are VOID IN FL, because the sponsor must deposit a BOND before they can run a sweeps there. Some sponsors don;t want to go through that hassle, that's why they just void it there.
Sweeps that promote alcoholic beverages are void in CA, KY (not sure).
Some states prohibit tobacco related sweeps, and others prohibit gasoline related sweeps.

Some sweeps are open only to states where the sponsor runs a business (like grocery stores, etc).

You could dig deeper into that issue by googeling the sweepstakes laws of each state.

Janir
November 16th, 2004, 4:46am
Yeah, I miss the liquor sweeps here, used to win regularly from them! Also most liquor sweeps are void in UT! :mad2:

Nubbs820
November 16th, 2004, 11:38am
BP sweeps are void in MD, however they do like running the radio commercial ads for them. I don't get it. Most gas sponsered sweeps are void here and I don't know why either.

mechurchlady
November 16th, 2004, 3:37pm
what are BP contests?

California, Maui county in Hawaii and Utah are no booze. California allows up $5 prizes and certain booze related contests like wine clubs and restaurants.

NY, RI, and FL are the bond related issue and/or registering for a contest.

Booze cannot be shipped to many states and if that is a prize check your state laws.

Colorado is no magazine related sweeps even if they are online only and have no purchase required.

Alsask and Hawaii are prohibited because of shipping cost and not state laws.

TN may also be a no booze contest state but not sure.

All states have or will be cracking down due to scamming of people expecially the poor, incompetent and the elderly.

Nubbs820
November 23rd, 2004, 11:26am
BP.. used to be amaco or something like that.. gas station.

LadyCat
November 23rd, 2004, 11:33am
i live in NEW YORK STATE AND I have found a lot of sweeps prohibited here we cant even send wine through the mail so you are not alone