PDA

View Full Version : Grill - ARV is less than stated

Kon4
November 10th, 2004, 3:37pm
A couple of months ago I was notified that I won a gas grill from Mealtime.org. The sweepstake and the affidavit said the grill had an ARV of $500.

I received an email from the comany running the sweepstake with information on tracking the grill. Well they order it from Sears and I was able to see it online. The ARV is $250, with shipping costing $100.

Should I say anything or just be grateful for what I'm getting.

Thanks. Nanci

noelleray
November 10th, 2004, 3:46pm
they usually work with overinflated arv's,but if they are reporting it to the irs i'd ask them to fix the amount for tax purposes

Gibby_Luvr
November 10th, 2004, 3:53pm
thats still not bad, but i would also ask them to fix it so you dont have to pay taxes on the extra

maryte
November 10th, 2004, 4:03pm
Generally, sponsors are disinclined to change the value on a 1099 once it has been issued. I would recommend printing out a copy of the page where you found the normal price with shipping and, should you receive a 1099 that differs significantly, you can submit that information with your taxes (they may not even send you a 1099, as the ARV (even overinflated) is under $600).

gcomstock
November 10th, 2004, 4:34pm
Should I say anything or just be grateful for what I'm getting.

Thanks. Nanci

Did the Official Rules specify the grill make / model, or just "a generic grill" description?

Another question is whether they are intending to issue a 1099 (you just mentioned the affie)...since that would add injury (unjust tax burden) to the insult (prize worth much less than "advertised").

maryte
November 10th, 2004, 4:56pm
Prize
One (1) Grand Prize - one (1) propane gas grill. Approximate Retail Value $500.
Sponsor or its agent will fulfill the Grand Prize, including shipping directly to the winner.

Sound fairly "generic" - they probably weren't sure who they were going to get to underwrite the grill, so they gave it a high average value, just in case. I don't think this will be a real problem come tax time.

mechurchlady
November 11th, 2004, 7:11am
I would not complain unless you got a cheap and no good for nothing hunk of junk.

My airline tickets are at an ARV twice or even nearly 3 times what I can get them for. My Yahoo prize was ARV $500 and some of the cities had prizes worth over a total ARV of $1,000.

Only complain if the gave you something like an Armini suit instead of an Armani suit. Not worth it and if you have to face the IRS just show the proof of the true ARV.

Hugs and remember that no matter how annoying sponsors are we have to be very nice to the hand the feed us unless that sponsor is not giving out the treats. I aim low and bite hard then.

MacTrans
November 11th, 2004, 7:48am
The chances are you won't even get a 1099 on it, because the amount has to be $600 or more before a company is required to report it to the IRS.