PDA

View Full Version : [B]Email Address Identification for Winners?[/B]

newz77
November 9th, 2004, 10:34am
Has any winner ever been asked to provide proof that an email address was theirs?

If so, what did the sponsor really want to see, and how did the process work?

I see a lot of rules that have sections dealing with making sure the email account belongs to the winner. Most of these sections say that this is an issue if there is a dispute. But some of them say they "may" require that a winner prove the email address is theirs and do not mention the issue of a dispute.

I am not aware of anyone being asked to prove their ownership of an email address, but I was curious to get a larger view of this issue. Some of my email addresses are getting overwhelmed by spam, and I am thinking about transition. I wondered how important this kind of proof of ownership issue might be. I doubt it is a big deal, but wanted to test that. Thanks.

Christine1225
November 9th, 2004, 10:45am
I Would Love To Know The Answer To This Also.

OhSusannah
November 9th, 2004, 10:48am
I wouldn't have a clue how to "prove" that an email was mine... perhaps a screen shot of the page where your information is stored? Maybe just an email back from you from that address with your info? I dunno???

guruwan2b
November 9th, 2004, 10:49am
I wonder if the provider would have to provide the information needed?

If two people claim a hotmail address, the original sign up information would prove who was the owner of the address.

Kim

Maprinces3
November 9th, 2004, 10:50am
Have no idea? Good question!

I would love to know if this has ever happened

Tartallini
November 9th, 2004, 10:50am
Responding to the sponsoring agency's email with your address etc... after they email you at the email address you gave them tends to be sufficient. I've never had anyone want further verification.

greensthings
November 9th, 2004, 10:53am
I had a phone call the other day asking to verify my email address.....

caseycupcake
November 9th, 2004, 10:54am
just had to do that today for a sobe contest win. Just reply to their email. Apparently that's enough verification for them.