PDA

View Full Version : I am so Disappointed and Need Advice Please!

damick
November 8th, 2004, 2:07pm
As I said in an earlier post we received an affidavit from Delta that hubby was the 8th prize winner in the Delta 75th Anniversary Sweepstakes. All was great! However the winning letter concerned me and I looked at it and the sweeps listing all weekend. Why did it concern me?

Well the letter states hubby is the 8th prize winner and will receive a set of luggage, a watch and aqua drops. With an ARV of $2390.00. (In pricing the luggage the actual ARV is $1520.00, with the watch and drops pricing at $20.99.) This confused me so I figured ok the 8th prize also includes what the sweeps stated the guitar?

Hubby called Pace the sponsor this morning and was told he won the luggage, watch and drops. Not the guitar and that if he does not want it then they will pull another name. (ruse) When he explained what the letter stated she told him that must be a typo and they will not honor it. Also, he questioned the ARV she said there is nothing she can or will do about that.

Is there anything else we can do about this or do we just accept the mistake and go on? Frankly we have no use for $1520.00 in luggage as I am disabled and we do not travel. As for the gift tax, what is the gift tax on this? Is it worth it?

Please someone give me some advice..

Thanks!

isavegas
November 8th, 2004, 2:13pm
Wow, that sounds terribly confusing!! Have you double-checked the rules to see if that helps clear things up?

Hopefully someone here at OLS can help you. Best wishes!

ThinLizzy
November 8th, 2004, 2:21pm
From what I've read in other threads concerning this type situation, most all sponsors' ARV's are overly inflated. If you can find the prizes at a cheaper price, then that price is the one you would use on your income tax form (with proper documentation, of course). There is no gift tax...sweepstakes winnings are considered income and are taxed just like salaries and wages.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. :)

Nickyle
November 8th, 2004, 2:22pm
That is terribly confusing because these are the prizes for that sweepstakes:

Grand Prize: 5-night trip for two to Verona, Italy, $500 per person in food and entertainment, and watch (ARV $7,020).
Second Prize: 3-night trip for a family of four to Disney World in Orlando, FL, 4-day park hopper plus tickets, and watch (ARV $4,370).
Third Prizes (5): Fujitsu Scansnap scanner and watch (ARV $515).
Fourth Prize: Set of French luggage and watch (ARV $2,410).
Fifth Prize: 4-day/3-night stay for two at The Greenbrier, breakfast and dinner daily, and watch (ARV $1,560).
Sixth Prizes (3): Choice of one piece of jewelry between $500 and $1,400 from www.cicicarter.com, and watch.
Seventh Prizes (3): PalmOne Treo 600 smartphone, and watch (ARV $470).
Eighth Prizes (2): Heineken Gibson Epiphone guitar, and watch (ARV $320).
Ninth Prize: Bose headphones, and watch (ARV $319).
Tenth Prizes (5): Annual subscription to GoToMyPC, and watch (ARV $200).
Eleventh Prizes (3): Garmin Forerunner 201, and watch (ARV $180).
Twelth Prizes (10): $100 American Express gift card, and watch (ARV $120).
Thirteenth Prizes (75): Watch and AquaDrops sample pack (ARV $20.99).

Eight prize is a guitar and watch, no luggage or drops, maybe I am missing something??

guruwan2b
November 8th, 2004, 2:24pm
If you don't agree with the ARV, just shop around and document the lower price. When you do taxes use the lower ARV. If you are audited, you can show where you found it for the lower price and all will be well.
If you don't want the luggage, ebay it or put it in a consignment shop.
Good luck!
Kim

agcshort
November 8th, 2004, 2:40pm
So they are really giving you the fourth prize? If you need luggage, I would take it, and find multiple copis of documentation to claim the REAL ARV on them come tax time. If you really can't use luggage whatsoever, I would forfeit it. Not worth the trouble. Good luck!

mnsteph
November 8th, 2004, 3:00pm
So they are really giving you the fourth prize? If you need luggage, I would take it, and find multiple copis of documentation to claim the REAL ARV on them come tax time. If you really can't use luggage whatsoever, I would forfeit it. Not worth the trouble. Good luck!

I agree. If you dont want the luggage dont accept the prize.
Being that the 8th prize you thought you won was worth $320 and the one you got, 4th place, is worth $2410 you could always ebay the luggage and buy a few guitars if thats what you really wanted...if you dont wanna sell the luggage and cant use it, dont accept the prize.

mongoose
November 8th, 2004, 3:06pm
YOu are required to pay taxes on the value of a win. YOu can try to say it's worth significantly less but they do file a 1099 with the IRS and you will be required to prove the fair market value.
It's not a gift tax, it's part of your income. Wins, no matter how small, are income not a gift.

Unless you want it and are willing to pay taxes, I would pass on it. As far as selling it on Ebay, I have seen luggage that did not sell on it.

jesia7
November 8th, 2004, 3:16pm
Maybe hubby wasn't the 8th prize winner, but the 8th prize picked. 1 grand prize, 1 second prize, 5 third prizes makes seven. The 8th name picked is for fourth prize, the luggage and watch.. Maybe, what do you think?

mgkamish
November 8th, 2004, 3:17pm
I would go over the head of the judging agency and talk to someone in marketing at the sponsoring company. They have the final say. If you present it nicely to them as you did to us, I'm sure they'd talk to the judging agency to clear it up and give you your guitar. If it's in the rules, typo or not, that's what is legally binding. Don't let an agency screwup keep you from getting your prize.

usahihi
November 8th, 2004, 3:18pm
According to the listing that we have here on the OLS site, the 4th prize was the luggage and the watch and the 8th prize was the guitar and the watch. There is no mention of Aqua Drops until the 13th prize listing. If you won 8th prize, according to this listing, you won the guitar and the watch, not the luggage and the watch. The fulfillment house is not doing their job for Delta Airlines, and they are cheating some of the contestents.

The contest details are also outlined at the Delta-Sky website with the 4th and 8th prizes listed as they should be: http://www.delta-sky.com/sweepstakes/. Delta-Sky is their in-flight magazine published by Pace Communications.

Delta - 75th Anniversary Sweepstakes
1x per email/household | home page • entry form | 31 notes •
Grand Prize: 5-night trip for two to Verona, Italy, $500 per person in food and entertainment, and watch (ARV $7,020).
Second Prize: 3-night trip for a family of four to Disney World in Orlando, FL, 4-day park hopper plus tickets, and watch (ARV $4,370).
Third Prizes (5): Fujitsu Scansnap scanner and watch (ARV $515).
Fourth Prize: Set of French luggage and watch (ARV $2,410).
Fifth Prize: 4-day/3-night stay for two at The Greenbrier, breakfast and dinner daily, and watch (ARV $1,560).
Sixth Prizes (3): Choice of one piece of jewelry between $500 and $1,400 from www.cicicarter.com, and watch.
Seventh Prizes (3): PalmOne Treo 600 smartphone, and watch (ARV $470).
Eighth Prizes (2): Heineken Gibson Epiphone guitar, and watch (ARV $320).
Ninth Prize: Bose headphones, and watch (ARV $319).
Tenth Prizes (5): Annual subscription to GoToMyPC, and watch (ARV $200).
Eleventh Prizes (3): Garmin Forerunner 201, and watch (ARV $180).
Twelth Prizes (10): $100 American Express gift card, and watch (ARV $120).
Thirteenth Prizes (75): Watch and AquaDrops sample pack (ARV $20.99).
official rules • archive | Open to residents of the U.S. 21+
expires Tuesday, August 31, 2004 @ 11:59pm ET Submitted 7/20/04
Search Relevancy Score: 9.27

In a Delta corporate press release dated 7/19/04, it said: “Last month marked Delta’s 75th anniversary. Over the years, Delta and the industry have seen tremendous transformation,” said Gerald Grinstein, Delta’s chief executive officer. “As expected, today’s results further confirm the urgent need for Delta to transform itself, once again. The challenges we face are significant and all of our stakeholders must participate in the solution if we are to be successful. Delta remains focused and committed to delivering the changes necessary to achieve long-term viability.”

You may want to try to reach Mr. Grinstein, their CEO, directly at the Delta Corporate Office in Atlanta and just tell him what's going on. Their main number is: (404) 715-2600.

I would just explain to them that the official rules listed the prizes with the 4th prize as the luggage and the 8th prize is the guitar; also that your husband is disabled and that you are unable to travel. I would also tell them what the fulfillment house told you and the manner in which they handled this situation. I would tell Delta that the fulfillment house is supposed to represent Delta and that they are not treating people the way you would expect to be treated by Delta itself. If anything, they are creating ill-will for Delta.

Other contacts to consider at the corporate office include:

Lee Macenczak, 42, has been named Senior Vice President and Chief Customer Service Officer. In his role, he leads a team of over 40,000 employees from five different work areas, including leadership of Air Logistics, Airport Customer Service, Customer Care, In-Flight Service, and Reservation Sales.

Paul Matsen, 44, has been named Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Delta Air Lines. Effective June 1, 2004, he will assume responsibility for Consumer Marketing, Sales and Distribution, Pricing and Revenue Management, International & Alliances, and Song. Paul was previously Senior Vice President – International & Alliances.

Greg Riggs, 56, has been named Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and Chief Corporate Affairs Officer for Delta Air Lines. In this role, effective June 1, 2004, he will be responsible for Legal, Corporate Communications, and Government Affairs. Riggs was previously Senior Vice President – General Counsel.

mgkamish
November 8th, 2004, 3:20pm
Yeah, what usahihi said. :)

mmcarter67
November 8th, 2004, 3:22pm
Very confusing!! :worry:

dementeddoll
November 10th, 2004, 9:20am
i dont know, we got a letter last night for my son saying he was a grand prize winner and he clearly was a 1st prize winner. i cant imagine saying, well you typed it therefore give me the grand prize!
be happy you won something, you knew there was a chance to win something you didnt want with inflated arv......it happens all the time or else you would rarely enter anything for fear of getting an unwanted win. i wouldnt complain, i jsut think thats rude, and really says alot about the ungratefulness of greedy sweepers.

here is my sons letter as an example:

Congratulations! Your entry was drawn as one of the 30 Grand Prize Winners in the School’s On Sweepstakes as presented by Tommy Hilfiger, USA. Your prize is:

A pair of Tommy Hilfiger shoes! Approximate Retail Value Grand Prize: $40 each.

Here is the sweep info:
Grand Prize: $1,000 in Tommy Hilfiger clothing.
First Prizes (30): Tommy Hilfiger shoes (ARV $40).

obviously it was a typo.

packerfan
November 10th, 2004, 10:47am
Yeah, what usahihi said. :)

Ditto . Call Delta now

pambanter
November 10th, 2004, 11:16am
so there is obviously a typo. If it is something you want, YAY. If it is something you don't want, just say pass. They have probably already picked the alternates.

Nickcoty
November 10th, 2004, 11:27am
I think you should take the prize and sell it on e-bay. The tax on your prize wouldn't really affect your taxes that much, but do what you feel is best for you.

dementeddoll
November 10th, 2004, 5:13pm
I think you should take the prize and sell it on e-bay. The tax on your prize wouldn't really affect your taxes that much, but do what you feel is best for you.
you can always have a reserve on it!

freeoh
November 10th, 2004, 5:30pm
Sounds like somebody wanted the guitar maybe. I'd personally rather have the luggage, and it's higher priced. (Everyone already explained what to do about the ARV.) But if I wanted the guitar, I'd probably take it further.