PDA

View Full Version : Love it or leave it!?!?!?!?!?

Luckylulu
September 13th, 2004, 9:48am
Why is it that whenever someone posts a comment or question about a feature of OLS, such as premium membership, that the thread eventually deteriorates to a "Love it or Leave It" attitude and members feel they need to come to the defense of Brent?

It seems to be a common human, or at least American, reaction to the expression of differing viewpoints. We saw it during the Vietnam war when that saying was often heard by those of us protesting the war and again a similar reaction occurred when people spoke out against the war in Iraq. They were harrassed and threatened for expressing their opinion.

The Dixie Chicks, for example, actually received death threats and metal detectors had to be set up at their concerts.

So, just something to think about as you sip your morning coffee: Why are questions/comments about OLS interpreted as "anti-OLS"? Hmmmmmmmmm. I don't want to leave OLS; I just want to talk about it. :coffee:

mgkamish
September 13th, 2004, 10:25am
Good question.

Galfishin66
September 13th, 2004, 10:34am
Yep Good question...

Nickyle
September 13th, 2004, 10:40am
Personally, not speaking for anyone else, but I don't feel it is a "love it or leave it", I feel it is a "sick of it".
I am sick of hearing about the premium membership, yes, I read the forums, no, I don't have to, but, yes, I do (enough commas?, lol!). It has just gotten to be such a overly talked about subject.
I joined OLS in June 2003, I lurked a little while before that and the premium membership has been an idea since before that time, so here we are at least 1+ years later and the premium membership has started and "most" of the regular members have taken this as a step forward in our sweepstaking hobby and support of this board so when we hear/see all this negativity yes it gets old fast.
Please keep in mind that this is my personal feeling on this subject but if I could fast forward time to 6 months down the road in the forums it would be nice because maybe by then premium membership will be a "old talked about thing of the past".

Wishing everyone wonderful wins today, nickyle

caseycupcake
September 13th, 2004, 10:51am
As someone who has been here since the beginning of time (or so it seems), there is always a fair amount of griping about something. It is great that the new perks are finally here. I feel for those who can't "go green" at this time.

Some complain. Some ignore.

I just sweep

gfeld51
September 13th, 2004, 10:52am
Why is it that whenever someone posts a comment or question about a feature of OLS, such as premium membership, that the thread eventually deteriorates to a "Love it or Leave It" attitude and members feel they need to come to the defense of Brent?

It seems to be a common human, or at least American, reaction to the expression of differing viewpoints. We saw it during the Vietnam war when that saying was often heard by those of us protesting the war and again a similar reaction occurred when people spoke out against the war in Iraq. They were harrassed and threatened for expressing their opinion.

The Dixie Chicks, for example, actually received death threats and metal detectors had to be set up at their concerts.

So, just something to think about as you sip your morning coffee: Why are questions/comments about OLS interpreted as "anti-OLS"? Hmmmmmmmmm. I don't want to leave OLS; I just want to talk about it. :coffee:

This devolved to national politics? Good grief!

guruwan2b
September 13th, 2004, 10:52am
I'm with nickyle. It just feels like a dead horse beating. Leave it alone, join or don't, just don't start another thread about it.
If people have questions about the membership there are plenty of threads out there. They could do a search, read about it and make a decision, one way or the other.
Kim

gfeld51
September 13th, 2004, 10:57am
Good question.

This relates to OLS............ how? This is an OLS get together......not a Kerry/Edwards rally, right?

Hedylarue
September 13th, 2004, 11:11am
The Kerry/Edwards part is in her signature line...I don't see anyone starting a rally. Lots of people have a vote for Bush or Kerry in their signature line so leave her alone.

luckysarah
September 13th, 2004, 11:12am
This relates to OLS............ how? This is an OLS get together......not a Kerry/Edwards rally, right?

I believe thats her siggy. It has nothing to do with the question.

Gomez
September 13th, 2004, 11:18am
If you don't like the "love it or leave it" debates then you should love it or leave it.

;)

Lanne
September 13th, 2004, 11:43am
I think that the love it or leave it attititude arises when people complain about things that they have no control over or 'say' about. The complainers (for lack of a better term) are not willing to accept that this is the way things are now. Often the only reply people can come up with is the infamous "If you don't like it, then you can leave". I think it happens, at least in this situation, because people are tired of hearing about it over and over and over and over and over and over again.

It seems like the suggestion "you can go elsewhere to find sweeps" is also taking on a life of it's own and is a variation of the first statement. People are getting upset about this one as well. They complain that they have to pay for some sweeps, and get upset when it is suggested that they look elsewhere if they don't want to pay.

As soon as people realize that all their complaining and threatening to leave the site, or threatening not to submit new sweeps isn't going to change the way things are now, hopefully this whole thing will die down.

juniorgirl
September 13th, 2004, 12:11pm
I don't think OLS would be as fun a place as it is now if we banned all whining etc. I think anything short of profanity and all the other stuff that is normally banned from sites is just fine and reflects the feelings and diversity of all here. I am now a happy premium member, but I don't mind hearing from all members- wins, whines, any of that from any status member. People have the option of clicking on threads, and we live in a stressful world so we all feel better after a whine now and then. There is room on this planet for free and premium members, IMO.

Boosbear
September 13th, 2004, 12:27pm
I just get tired of hearing people complain and rehashing the same complaints over and over again. Before I found this site I entered a few contests here and there that I would receive in my email. I never imagined that a site like this even existed, and to be able to come on here and have all these contests sorted out and listed for free was wonderful. I lurked for awhile, then signed up for free. I loved it so much that I sent a donation to the site to help keep it running. When the premium sweeps was discussed I was all for it. I love the features, especially being able to keep track of my sweeps. Some people expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. It costs money to keep a site like this going. Why should somebody just do it out of the goodness of their heart? What is the big deal about paying $30.00 a year, which breaks down to $2.50 monthly, .62 weekly? That's less than a soda or candy bar. It's not that I think you are attacking Brent. I don't even know Brent or any of the mods here. I am just one small voice that happens to enjoy this site and I appreciate all the work that has been put into it. I am handicapped, have multiple illnesses, don't have alot of money, love helping people, but it is my choice to be happy and support the site that keeps me sane (except when I read negative posts - lol). :smile9:

jrrthl
September 13th, 2004, 12:29pm
As a Mom of a child that is in the army and so is my daughter in law I find comparing the war and the state of our world to premier or not completly absurd
Jan

arouet
September 13th, 2004, 3:52pm
Why can't we just direct all of these threads to their own catagory and that way they are easier to avoid. I know we already have a vent thread, why aren't these threads included? That way if you're in the mood for a good vent you can go on in, and if you're not, just avoid it like the plague.