PDA

View Full Version : The 6 months Theory...

Meeshee1
September 8th, 2004, 4:05pm
I have seen a lot of newbies (like myself) asking everyone about how long it takes to reap any winnings from sweeping. I think the most common answer has been "around 6 months". My question is this:
Is it because although the contest ends it takes the sponsor that long to notify you, or is it because you usually have to be sweeping for about 6 months before you win anything?? Does this make sense?? I check a lot of the ended sweeps, and even though they're over, they haven't notified the winners?? Just curious as to why everyone usually says 6 months.. :) :toot:

princessJ
September 8th, 2004, 4:11pm
i THINK it may be a combination of both. I have won things where it took sponsers 6months to get the prizes to me but I have also noticed that I was more into a "routine" of sweeping rather than just entering things haphazardly after a few months and that may have made the difference too. And FYI...my first win only took 4months to win and 3 days to receive :)

Veuve-Cliquot
September 8th, 2004, 4:11pm
I think the whole "6 month" answer is an average estimate. Of course, there are newbies who come on the site and win a grand prize their first week. Other people enter very selectively, and don't win a prize for years.

As far as winner notification goes, you can't ever trust the rules when they say "Winners will be announced September 2nd" or such. They almost never are.

Some sponsors, like Lucky Breaks, run like clockwork: their prizes start arriving exactly 28 days after the end of the contest. Others, like the notoriously slow Hershey, can wait over a year before notifying people that they won a sweep.

If you enter religiously, including dailies, weeklies, monthlies and 1x sweeps, you can expect to have a pattern of winning built up after six months, and be seeing at least small prizes in the mailbox once a week or so.

mummyinfeb01
September 8th, 2004, 4:12pm
Personally, I wouldn't say 6 months. I would say it varies. However, I would say give it 6 months before getting impatient and coming to the conclusion that you must just have bad luck lol.

mummyinfeb01
September 8th, 2004, 4:13pm
If you enter religiously, including dailies, weeklies, monthlies and 1x sweeps, you can expect to have a pattern of winning built up after six months, and be seeing at least small prizes in the mailbox once a week or so.

Perhaps I do just have bad luck :P

My wins have their very own schedule. Usually...dry for a month, a week of nice surprises, and back to being dry lol.

dolphee
September 8th, 2004, 4:14pm
Just depends. You will win though. I guarantee it!
:sherlock:

mgals
September 8th, 2004, 4:17pm
The six month rule has never applied to me. It took at least a year before I won anything from online entries or snailmail - even then they were small and infrequent. But I hung in there, and have won many wonderful things.

The best things is not to "plan" on wins, that way you won't be disappointed when they fail to come. On the reverse, you will be stoked when they do!

arouet
September 8th, 2004, 4:22pm
With me it is just because that is exactly how long it was before I won anything, big or small. It was different back then too though. I can't really remember if there seemed to be more or less sweeps available end of 97 start of 98 ? It seems likely there were less internet sweeps though.

crissygail
September 8th, 2004, 4:25pm
i joined march i didnt win my first big win untill aug and that was 6 months :gvibes:

Kimberly Kay
September 8th, 2004, 4:25pm
:supstar: Hope to see you in the Winners Circle - SOON!! :supstar:

rocksea_lady
September 8th, 2004, 4:45pm
I am so due for a win then!! Good Luck and Happy Sweeping!!

needawinBAD
September 8th, 2004, 4:53pm
We don't know who came up with "just give it 6 months and you will win". But I remember seeing it many, many years ago when newsletter editors started popularizing the notion. Of course they were interested in getting newcomers to subscribe for as long as possible and it certainly increased subscriptions.

venus_de_milo
September 8th, 2004, 4:56pm
I guess I am just lucky because I've only been doing this a little over 6 months and I have tons of wins. No GP's or Hall of Fame wins yet, though. But definitely enough to keep me motivated. :)

cpnqn
September 8th, 2004, 5:01pm
I wouldn't say 6 months- just b/c I know it depends on YOU- how many you do, how often, how you are shooting for prizes etc... Law of averages- if you do 10 daily sweeps- with prizes in the 1000's range- for one month you will probably win that month- BUT, not necessarily a fine science there- odds are in your favor- generally prizes in the 3000 range- everyone here is posting getting (except ME!!! lol)- but, there isn't a time frame I am aware of- I did it for almost a year before I got anything worthy of a note home...

Galfishin66
September 8th, 2004, 5:10pm
I have quite a few small wins and it's only been about a month. Hopefully Big ones to come but who knows!?! I'll keep trying... :gvibes:

suelee000
September 8th, 2004, 5:17pm
I started (internet) sweeping in 1995. It was several years before I won anything. I didn't win a really big prize until 2003.

When I registered here in Nov 2002, there were less than 5000 members. Now there are over 50,000. If there ever was any validity to the 6 months theory, the sheer number of people sweeping has probably blown it out of the water.

luckysarah
September 8th, 2004, 5:27pm
I guess I am just lucky because I've only been doing this a little over 6 months and I have tons of wins. No GP's or Hall of Fame wins yet, though. But definitely enough to keep me motivated. :)

Yeah I think I've been lucky too. I started off on a nice little winning streak.
My first good win was only a few weeks after joining I won $300 on an instant and tons of small wins. Then about a month later $1,000 on a 1x entry. :)

gregisme56
September 8th, 2004, 5:40pm
It depends on how many sweeps you enter daily. I started off with 50 and now do about 300 a day. I have no big wins. A hair dryer for a bald guy is my biggest win.

Meeshee1
September 9th, 2004, 7:19am
Well, it sounds to me llike it isn't so much the time for the prizes to arrive as it is the time it takes to keep on trucking until you win something. Thanks to everyone for their replies!! :gvibes:

caseycupcake
September 9th, 2004, 7:46am
I am so due for a win then!! Good Luck and Happy Sweeping!!

Me too!

chupacabra
September 9th, 2004, 5:42pm
I was told the "3 month theory," but I guess with all the new sweepers it could now be 6 months.

chupacabra

tjbinno
September 9th, 2004, 5:52pm
I can post some info from experience with a number of major wins. Just because a sweep closes on a certain date doesn't mean that they will "draw" and award the prizes on that date. From experience, it can be weeks to months before the prizes are actual awarded. In fact, other than instants, remembering my wins, I think the closest to the closing date I've been notified of a win is about 2 weeks. And that was out of the ordinary, normaly 6 weeks to 3 months before notification would be my average.