PDA

View Full Version : Texas Caviar (YUMMY and ADDICTIVE!)

Current
July 24th, 2004, 1:55pm
I posted this recipe over in the "Calling all salad makers" thread, but figured I would give it it's own thread. I made this last week for a Food Day that we had at work. First time I had ever made it, and it was AWESOME. My co-workers raved about it, and I got five requests for a copy of the recipe. It is so easy to make and I am still amazed about how good it is.

Texas Caviar

1 (15 1/2 oz) can yellow hominy, drained
1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas, drained
3 green onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 medium sized green pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup commercial zesty Italian salad dressing
Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
Tortilla chips

Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well. Pour salad dressing over black-eyed pea mixture; toss gently. Cover and chill thoroughly. Toss again before serving. Garnish if desired. Serve with tortilla chips.

Yield 6-1/2 cups.

Mare
July 24th, 2004, 4:52pm
Where the HECK do you buy canned hominy??? Not in this part of the country. How about canned corn? Will that work?

Mare "hominy is not indiginous to NJ" Rivera ;)

Maineiac
July 24th, 2004, 6:33pm
Same here in the North woods...no hominy (what the heck is that, really?) Current, could something else be comparable? The recipe sounds delish!

hort1
July 26th, 2004, 10:01pm
TEXAS CAVIAR

1-1/2 cups chopped seeded tomato
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons canned diced green chilies
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro

Combine all ingredients, cover and chill 4 hours or overnight.
-----------------------------------------------------

There are a lot of variations on Texas Caviar. You could substitute corn for hominy, or black beans for field peas. Or some variation.

tigress2b
July 27th, 2004, 10:55am
if you have a decent mexican food section in your grocery youll probably find it there. :gvibes:

Current
August 1st, 2004, 5:45pm
You guys don't have hominy in your area??? Wow, I grew up on the stuff. Basicially it is just plumped up, soft, corn kernels. I get it at my local grocery store, in the canned veggie section, I think Libby makes it.

Yep Mare, you could use just plain corn instead of hominy, as a matter of fact, next time I make this, I am gonna use plain corn....I like it better. :)

MonCherie
August 1st, 2004, 11:52pm
YAY! Current answered! I have been waiting to see about corn!
No Hominy here either.

Glam
August 4th, 2004, 10:00pm
Where the HECK do you buy canned hominy??? Not in this part of the country. How about canned corn? Will that work?

Mare "hominy is not indiginous to NJ" Rivera ;)

We have it here at my Superfresh (on Delaware Avenue). I'll bring you some at our next get-together if you like. Also check your Dollar Store or Dollar Express - I used to get two cans for a dollar.

Thanks for the recipe Current!