PDA

View Full Version : Advice from allergy sufferers

sweepyhead
July 10th, 2004, 6:17pm
I have bad all year round allergies to a variety of things: mold, dust, grass, trees, ragweed, etc. I'm suffering pretty badly this month; July is supposed to be a month with less pollen. I don't have any food allergies.

Those of you who have allergies and have moved to a dry climate -- does the desert help at all? The worst allergy experience I have ever had was Florida in the summer. I was so sick, it felt like I drank toxic waste.

Sweepy:sleep2:

StarbucksAddict
July 10th, 2004, 6:32pm
Ask your doctor for samples of Allegra. Winter is the only season that doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't say that I have severe allergy problems. Some days are good, some days are horrible - most fall somewhere inbetween. Allegra is the only thing that's ever alleviated my allergies without making me catatonic. It even works on my allergy to cats, which IS severe.

sweepyhead
July 10th, 2004, 6:35pm
Ask your doctor for samples of Allegra.
I already take antihistamine, but I'm pretty sick anyway. I was wondering if changing my location would help. I'm sick all year, but the growing season is the worst.

I wouldn't even consider getting a cat or a dog. They make me sick, too.

Sweepy:sleep2:

TrishMc107
July 10th, 2004, 6:45pm
I take Zyrtec prescription. It's been a brutal allergy season. Even with the zyrtec I sometimes take a Benadryl.

I have year round allergies too. There's one month I seem to do okay..February.

They say the states like Arizona are getting worse for allergies because transplant are planting trees etc not native to the area. But I'm no expert on that. SOmeone from there could tell you more precise information.

reallyitsmema
July 10th, 2004, 6:52pm
I used to take Zyrtec too but the once a day didn't work for me, I was miserable towards the end of the 24 hrs. I take Allegra twice a day and that helps me a lot. It has been an awful allergy season though.

Reeneigh22
July 10th, 2004, 7:03pm
Different climate/location can mean different allergies...what you are allergic to now, may take a back seat to a different allergy or may cease to act up...

Iona256
July 10th, 2004, 8:03pm
I'm not sure there is an answer to that. It depends on what you're allergic to. I notice you put mold first. Mold is everywhere. Even if you go to a dry climate your house can be a source. My last job was in the Central Valley of California where it does not rain at all during the summer. It didn't matter what season it was. The particular building where I worked was a temporary building gone permanent with no foundation and as I later found out underneath was a giant bed of mold. Like a lot of other people I am allergic to mold. So many people in that building were sick so much of the time that it sounded like a TB ward. I would get sick and stay that way for months. It didn't stop until I dragged in an air filtering system and dropped in my cube inches away from my nose. Moving far enough to change the vegetation may help pollen allergies at first, then people tend to develop allergies to the new set of pollens eventually. The best place for allergies I've lived was half a block from the ocean. But even then I could run into trouble at work. No easy answer, but I've found that a good air filtering system helps a lot. I use a couple of kinds.

venus_de_milo
July 10th, 2004, 8:39pm
FWIW the Central Valley isn't considered desert. It's quite humid there, actually. Lots of fog in the winter contributing to mold growth, along with all the irrigation.

It really depends on what you are allergic to. I'm out in the desert now, but lived in the Bay area for a short time. When we were there, DH's allergies were worse, mine were a little better. Now in the desert we've flipped a little.

toydiva65
July 11th, 2004, 2:57pm
OMG! This tip works wonders, no matter what your airborn allergies! Got this tip from my son'd pediatrician who is a sever allergy sufferer himself!

Buy a bedroom sized hepa air purifier (Holems is the best) set it up where you sleep and run it 24/7 with the door closed. Sleeping in the clean air 8 hours a night will DRAMATICALLY change your symptoms!