PDA

View Full Version : Quick, easy ice cream

suziebee20
July 10th, 2004, 12:16am
This was in a free magazine that I get at our grocery store- San Diego Family Fun. Thought I'd share it, I just tried it and it worked great and it's good too.

1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk or half and half
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
1 sandwich sized ziplock
1 gallon sized ziplock (I used a quart size and it still worked)
2 tablespoons of rocksalt (can be found in baking aisle, pretty cheap too!)
Ice

Combine sugar, milk or half and half, and vanilla into sandwich sized ziplock, and zip closed

Place rock salt into gallon sized bag then place sealed sandwich sized bag into gallon sized bag.

Add ice to the gallon sized bag and fill about 3/4 of the way.

Zip the gallon sized bag and shake and roll until the ingredients in the small sandwich bag are frozen (about 15-20 minutes). *You may want to roll it in a towl, it made my hands really cold.

Remove the small bag, open it, and enjoy. *Be careful though, because if you pour it out and the water drips off it, it will also drip salt into your ice cream. May want to spoon the ice cream out or rinse off the small bag in cold water.

In case you are wondering how it works:

Water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius. Placing rock salt in with the ice lowers the freezing point of the ice and in turn causes the ice to melt. As the ice melts, it takes heat from the mixture in the sandwich size zipper bag. Even though the freezing point of the mixture is lower than the freezing point of water, the mixture freezes and becomes ice cream. Shaking the bag mixes the ice and salt in the gallon size bag and keeps the mixture in the sandwich bag from forming into an ice block.

cakegirl79
July 10th, 2004, 4:10pm
Thank you so much for this post!!! I can't wait to try this out!!! :yum: