PDA

View Full Version : Do Some Sweepers Cheat?

Eccentric
June 8th, 2004, 12:41am
There are some things sweepers do that stretch the limits of integrity:

Unless the contest designer has been anticipated our treachery and has programming designed to thwart us we:

Enter single, daily, monthly, quarterly contests multiple times.

I recall a recent monthly contest for a modest collection of Kentucky memorabilia that was cancelled because one user entered over 800 times.

Some more computer literate sweepers are skilled enough to design Java scripts, or similar coding allowing them to run them over a long weekend.

I remember a contest cancelled this year by the sponsor because someone entered over 20,000 in a single day.

Submitting bogus email addresses as "referrals".

On "unlimited" contests,some have discovered you can click on "Submit" and "Back" until the cows come home.

Fortunately, some contest sponsers are stepping up by having their contest designers prevent most of these things with intelligent coding.

Its fair to all of us and I look forward to their continued development.

Billingslya
June 8th, 2004, 1:00am
i was also wondering what is considered cheating... more and more you see the use of automated or macro scripts will cause disqualification... can all extensions of webpages detect this? (.php,.html,.xtml,.asp or the ones where we dont see extensons does that matter? What about the ones that have long REfed it such as 543439483 to log your inputsor settings or whatever?

jennem
June 8th, 2004, 10:53am
Many sweepers will enter multiple email addresses into instant win sweeps every day. That's cheating in my book.

jaskolka
June 8th, 2004, 11:00am
I cheat all the time and there isn't a bloody thing you can do about it. HA HA HA!

The prizes are all mine!

Gomez
June 8th, 2004, 1:10pm
I find it surprising that so many people here cheat and then lie to themselves that the rules somehow do not apply to them, or that since they do not think the rules are fair that it's OK to cheat.

Non-smokers in smoker sweeps, non computer-employed people in the $30,000 plasma sweep, etc. People using Robo when it's clearly prohibited. People entering other family members.

sheloves2win
June 8th, 2004, 1:26pm
I wouldn't intentionally cheat on a sweeps. When they say one per person I only enter once unless it would be by error.... It is too easy to be disqualified doing that stuff and the companies that support sweeps should get more respect than that. I do enter myself and my husband in sweeps and I really don't think that is cheating unless it says one per household then I only enter myself.

Tracy66
June 8th, 2004, 1:36pm
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I cheat all the time and there isn't a bloody thing you can do about it. HA HA HA!

The prizes are all mine!

jafarhie
June 8th, 2004, 1:42pm
Wow how suprising!! Another thread questioning the morality of sweepers on OLS. And a faithful member of the morality police has arrived, this should be an interesting thread. ROTF!!

I am one who feels that doing all those methods mentioned above in a sweeps or instant is wrong, however I am responsible for myself. I am not worried or concerned that others are using these methods, because I have no control over them. This subject continues to arise every other week, but IMO if someone is cheating it will catch up with them. However for people to continue to gripe about it and act as if they are a judge is uncalled for IMO. It's an endless cycle that has a revolving door and it's pretty pointless to keep harping on it.

bomar97
June 8th, 2004, 2:01pm
I wouldn't intentionally cheat on a sweeps. When they say one per person I only enter once unless it would be by error.... It is too easy to be disqualified doing that stuff and the companies that support sweeps should get more respect than that. I do enter myself and my husband in sweeps and I really don't think that is cheating unless it says one per household then I only enter myself.

I agree..
Once when I didn't realize it was a one prize per household.. remember Hershey's keychain??.. my DH entered and won a computer.. only AFTER I had won a precious keychain.. this disqualified his computer win.. and rightfully so.. I just hope others who do cheat don't get away with it.. I try to be very careful as I'd rather win a prize and not get disqualified.

mnsteph
June 8th, 2004, 2:33pm
On unlimited sweeps, hitting submit and back is cheating? Wow, I didnt know that...I do that and have won unlimited sweeps before. Granted I only did it like 15 times a day...but I had no idea that was considered cheating..... :shock:

sottovoce
June 8th, 2004, 2:47pm
:nono: We will never persuade those who cheat to correct the error of their ways...afterall, they are being rewarded for their cheating. It is a personal choice to follow rules, to behave in a moral manner. I believe there are more on this site who cheat than those who do not. Unfortunate. What they do not realize is in the long run there will be fewer sweeps to enter due to their behavior and sponsors may even exclude sweeps site entries. They will not only hurt the rest of us but themselves as well. Actually, maybe they do realize this and are simply "instant gratification" personalities.

Ok, have preached enough on this topic...generally prefer to leave preaching to Gomez...so much better at it than I...but I am in complete agreement with you Gomez and silently cheer each of your posts. :yesyes:

JoyfulNois
June 8th, 2004, 2:49pm
Realistically? Yeah, there are people who cheat. :mad2:
There have been cheaters in the world for most of its history, and the population of sweepers will have its share. But I comfort myself by thinking that they will get their just reward someday. :halo:

donkeydoings
June 8th, 2004, 3:01pm
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134926&highlight=cheat

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130624&highlight=cheater

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140359&highlight=cheat

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130672&highlight=cheat

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127227&highlight=cheat

Reverie
June 8th, 2004, 3:41pm
I agree..
Once when I didn't realize it was a one prize per household.. remember Hershey's keychain??.. my DH entered and won a computer.. only AFTER I had won a precious keychain.. this disqualified his computer win.. and rightfully so.. I just hope others who do cheat don't get away with it.. I try to be very careful as I'd rather win a prize and not get disqualified.

Many people get disqualified ... some never know they were disqualified because the sponsors don't always let you know. You just don't win.

Some people have the impression that because a sweeps "lets you" enter, you weren't disqualified. Not true. I've read that at least one third to one half of all entries are disqualified at the time of drawing.

There are some threads here about people being disqualified:

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126333& (one of the sweeps that Gomez is referring to ... the Measurements Computing potential grand prize winner was disqualified)

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129918& (lots of people disqualified from National Geographic)

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130424& (Eprize instant winners disqualified)

Foxfire0-0-7
June 8th, 2004, 4:01pm
I have never cheated, I have never entered a sweep I didn't really want to win, I have never entered anyone else in a sweep, never did the "back arrow" thing on unlimited sweeps, never made up an email address, never violated the rules and most of all.....

I have never won a sweep (except a playstation game two years ago) in 5 years.....but at least I do have my integrity.....and all these great people at OLS

Maudrey74
June 8th, 2004, 4:07pm
People using Robo when it's clearly prohibited. People entering other family members.

:shock: Is it cheating if you use roboform to fill out the forms? How do you know if it is prohibited? Am I missing something?

jaklackus
June 8th, 2004, 4:09pm
:nono: We will never persuade those who cheat to correct the error of their ways...afterall, they are being rewarded for their cheating. It is a personal choice to follow rules, to behave in a moral manner. I believe there are more on this site who cheat than those who do not. Unfortunate. What they do not realize is in the long run there will be fewer sweeps to enter due to their behavior and sponsors may even exclude sweeps site entries. They will not only hurt the rest of us but themselves as well. Actually, maybe they do realize this and are simply "instant gratification" personalities.

do you really have that little faith in humanity that over 21k people from this site are cheating? I seriously doubt that so many people would have so much time on their hands....I can't even get through instants everyday...never mind entering any contest multiple times.

mgkamish
June 8th, 2004, 5:16pm
We will never get people to stop getting on their high horse and shoveling morality down our throats. They insist that only they know THE ANSWER and WHAT MUST BE DONE and how to do it RIGHT. Your statements of fact are ridiculous. You didn't even get the number of entries right in your statement about the one Web site that slapped everyone's wrists. Hope you can breath up there in all that thin air of the righteous. One of these days I'm gonna have a stroke, I swear....

tlak
June 8th, 2004, 5:30pm
Wow how suprising!! Another thread questioning the morality of sweepers on OLS. And a faithful member of the morality police has arrived, this should be an interesting thread. ROTF!!

I am one who feels that doing all those methods mentioned above in a sweeps or instant is wrong, however I am responsible for myself. I am not worried or concerned that others are using these methods, because I have no control over them. This subject continues to arise every other week, but IMO if someone is cheating it will catch up with them. However for people to continue to gripe about it and act as if they are a judge is uncalled for IMO. It's an endless cycle that has a revolving door and it's pretty pointless to keep harping on it.
I agree, getting kind of old. Obviously you can only do whats right for you. I dont know why they shut down contest. I would pick an entrant with only one entry and email the rest saying so and so won with only one entry.

jenninshelby
June 8th, 2004, 11:45pm
Of course some sweepers cheat. Keep in mind that there are many sweepers in this world and there are always people who will try to get over and rip off whatever system they are doing. It happens with any large groups of peoples. Personally I do not consider using RoboForm cheating. At All. I feel that if a company does not wish for me to use that? They need to do what more of them are doing-which is make forms flash or something else that RoboForm will not work on. I really feel that these corp. should sit down and make it even more clear as to what they feel is Macro or whatever. It is really not fair to me that I am wasting my time going to that site and reading about their products and probably buying them as a result to NOT tell me what is or is not accepted.

jenninshelby
June 8th, 2004, 11:48pm
On unlimited sweeps, hitting submit and back is cheating? Wow, I didnt know that...I do that and have won unlimited sweeps before. Granted I only did it like 15 times a day...but I had no idea that was considered cheating..... :shock:

If you have did that and won? Then the people you won from did not think you were cheating either. If they did? You would not have won.

jennem
June 9th, 2004, 10:23am
I guess there are many ways to interpret cheating. We can all only follow our own consciences. :smile5:

Gomez
June 9th, 2004, 10:38am
...I am not worried or concerned that others are using these methods, because I have no control over them...

Luckily the majority of society at-large is not as apathetic as you and we have people and systems in place to deal with cheating and fraud in many areas. When people cheat on taxes, sweepstakes and in commerce everybody else who plays by the rules gets the shaft. While you might not have direct control over others you do exert some influence over others, and with your public statements here you're basically telling people not to worry about others who cheat.

Given your logic the former Enron employees and investors who lost their retirement savings should just suck it up and not complain.

Gomez
June 9th, 2004, 10:43am
I do not see how entering someone else could be construed as cheating, that is ridiculous! The only reason I would not enter my BF, sister, or someone else is because I do not want to DQ myself.

I must say that people using automated entries (Not roboform, but the kind that requires no work AT ALL) really does frustrate me, as it is cheating to use a machine to enter without any help from you whatsoever.

But non smokers in smokers sweeps, etc.? C'mon, a sweeps is a sweeps. I quit smoking when I had my son, but I still enter the Camel sweeps (I won two packs of cigarettes which I will give to my sister who smokes... well maybe one pack :smile4: ) because it has good prizes. Isn't that why we enter??

OK, it's not fair to have a service or software enter for you "without any help from you whatsoever" but it is fair to have someone else like a spouse enter for you, without any help from you whatsoever? That makes no sense. Think about what you just said.

And the whole smoker sweeps issue is when the rules say the sweep is open to smokers. If you are not a smoker and you enetr anyway you are violating the rules and that is cheating.

mgkamish
June 9th, 2004, 10:45am
I don't think jafarhie is being apathetic, just practical. No one has control over anyone else's actions. The only way you can influence someone is one on one. If someone brags about cheating, lying, stealing, don't ignore it, confront them. But to come on a sweep site and basically call a lot of people cheaters because they don't interpret the rules as you do, is different. This kind of bragging about one's own ethics only turns people off. It used to be that people led by example and didn't run around saying, "I'm good, you're bad" all the time. I miss those days.

Gomez
June 9th, 2004, 10:47am
Is it cheating if you use roboform to fill out the forms? How do you know if it is prohibited? Am I missing something?

Some sweeps prohibit using software or macros to enter and Robo qualifies as both, other sweeps prohibit Robo explicitly. Read the rules and you'll see many sweeps prohibit macros. But I didn't mean to imply that all sweeps prohibit this since they do not.

emhe
June 9th, 2004, 10:48am
I don't use Roboform but on my XP home(which was new in January), there is a button on the menu bar called "autofill" where you enter your personal info. anytme you click it, it fills in a form. some contests it won't work on. the only reason i use it is because i have MAJOR carpul tunnel and nerve entrapment and it cuts down on the finger strokes. i can't see how this could be cheating since i follow the rules about entering and so forth. does anyone else have this and do you know if you can be disqualified for using it?

abbygirl
June 9th, 2004, 10:49am
I guess I cheat. I plead guilty - with no remorse. I enter for my husband all the time. I enter in my own name and then I enter for him, unless the rules are 1 per household. Actually, WE have won more in his name than in mine. Why do you consider that cheating? It's all in the family. I have more free computer time than he does! I will continue to enter for him. What is the difference if I enter in my name for something that he would want - If I (he, we) won,I would give it to him anyway. There is no rule that says you can't give your prizes to whomever you wish, so why not just have the entry in his name.

smileysal
June 9th, 2004, 11:00am
I purposly do not cheat. I do not enter my dh, mom, friend, nieghbor. etc. Just me and sometime my DS. What bothers me is when people lie about their age or lie about having kids and enter in the children's sweeps. It's takes a way winnings from a "real" kid.

Gomez
June 9th, 2004, 11:01am
If you have did that and won? Then the people you won from did not think you were cheating either. If they did? You would not have won.

That's terrible logic. Just because you get away with something by cheating does not mean the people 1) knew you cheated; or, 2) think it's okay. For example if you cheat on your taxes and get away with it you can't assume the IRS knew about it and decided it was just okay.

Regardless, unless it's prohibited in the rules hitting the "back" button to go back and submit an entry again is not cheating on a multiple entry sweep. I'm not sure where people are getitng that from?

Cephus
June 9th, 2004, 11:04am
I do not see how entering someone else could be construed as cheating, that is ridiculous! The only reason I would not enter my BF, sister, or someone else is because I do not want to DQ myself.

The reason these companies have sweeps in the first place is so that as many people as possible will visit their websites. That's not the case if one person starts entering everyone in the phone book. That's why sweeps will have rules like "One entry per person per day".

If your BF, sister, etc. wants to enter the contest, they need to sit down at the computer and do it themselves.

Cephus
June 9th, 2004, 11:07am
:shock: Is it cheating if you use roboform to fill out the forms? How do you know if it is prohibited? Am I missing something?

It is not prohibited unless it specifically states that it is in the contest rules. Otherwise, RoboForm or other form-fillers are completely kosher.

caseycupcake
June 9th, 2004, 11:08am
I guess I cheat. I plead guilty - with no remorse. I enter for my husband all the time. I enter in my own name and then I enter for him, unless the rules are 1 per household. Actually, WE have won more in his name than in mine. Why do you consider that cheating? It's all in the family. I have more free computer time than he does! I will continue to enter for him. What is the difference if I enter in my name for something that he would want - If I (he, we) won,I would give it to him anyway. There is no rule that says you can't give your prizes to whomever you wish, so why not just have the entry in his name.

If the rules state one entry per person and you enter your yourself and your husband, that's not cheating. Cheating is when you enter yourself as D. Jones, D.L. Jones, D.Q. Jones with different email addy's.

And rarely do the rules ever say you have to keep your win (although some are "non-transferable). I suppose some people would feel that re-gifting is cheating too.

Gomez
June 9th, 2004, 11:14am
I don't think jafarhie is being apathetic, just practical. No one has control over anyone else's actions. The only way you can influence someone is one on one. If someone brags about cheating, lying, stealing, don't ignore it, confront them. But to come on a sweep site and basically call a lot of people cheaters because they don't interpret the rules as you do, is different. This kind of bragging about one's own ethics only turns people off. It used to be that people led by example and didn't run around saying, "I'm good, you're bad" all the time. I miss those days.

Well, people have been up on high horses since Day One. The Inquisition, Crusades, Romans nailing Jesus to the cross, etc. But I get your point.

I hope I'm not coming off as holier-than-thou because guess what? I cheat sometimes on sweeps (I use Robo on sweeps that prohibit it, because darnit I'd enter the sweep anyway and it's not doing much harm to the sponsor). It's simply a choice I make, but at least I'm honest about it and not trying to fool myself.

And you can definitely control someone's actions. Brain-washing, imprisonment, murder, etc. Drastic but effective.

You can also influence someone over the Internet, with words, in simple ways. Look at political activists.

But when people cheat and it negatively impacts me that makes me mad. People cheating on sweepstakes to gain entries where not permitted by the rules reduces my chance of winning and that sucks. It's literally robbing me and my family of potential. Same for people who cheat on taxes, that robs our country and I'm a beneficiary of the country so that's robbing me and my family. As a taxpayer and citizen I have every right to speak out against it.

Cephus
June 9th, 2004, 11:15am
And rarely do the rules ever say you have to keep your win (although some are "non-transferable). I suppose some people would feel that re-gifting is cheating too.

The only prizes that are really non-transferrable are trips, and they can make sure that you are the only one using the trip by requiring you to show ID to get on the plane. Otherwise, it doesn't matter what happens to the prize, you can give it away, you can keep it or you can sell it on eBay, the choice is yours.

There are some people who go way too far with the whole "cheating" thing. There are those who think that if you don't hand-key every entry and buy from every vendor, you're cheating and that's a bit pathetic.

Gomez
June 9th, 2004, 11:17am
The reason these companies have sweeps in the first place is so that as many people as possible will visit their websites.

That's one benefit but definitely not the only or main reason for all sweepstakes promotions. Read a marketing textbook or an advertising blurb by one of the many sweepstakes promotions companies for more info if you like.

Marketing is not as simple as many people think.

pharaoh
June 9th, 2004, 11:33am
IF I TRAIN AND FEED THE little QUIZNO RATS TO ENTER 4 ME
I SAY IT'S OK
AND IF PHARAOH SAY'S ITS OK......ITS OK....OK

bearmom23
June 9th, 2004, 11:44am
Is it "people cramming their morality down our throats", or them just trying to have a level playing field? All I want is a fair chance in the sweeps I enter. No moral judgement here. :twocents:

Freedom of speech..... it's a beautiful thing. :duck:

jafarhie
June 9th, 2004, 11:47am
Luckily the majority of society at-large is not as apathetic as you and we have people and systems in place to deal with cheating and fraud in many areas. When people cheat on taxes, sweepstakes and in commerce everybody else who plays by the rules gets the shaft. While you might not have direct control over others you do exert some influence over others, and with your public statements here you're basically telling people not to worry about others who cheat.

Given your logic the former Enron employees and investors who lost their retirement savings should just suck it up and not complain.

The Enron comparison to someone using roboform on a sweep is very poor. And in fact I am not apathetic, I am just realistic. I don't have time to become a detective worrying about who used roboform or who entered their husband in a contest. If you do then you have alot of time on your hands.

Yes in society their is punishment for cheaters, and they are punished when they are disqualified by the sponsers. It all works out fine. If they are not caught then what can anyone do about it? YOU or anyone cannot do anything about it because it is not in your hands and that's all I'm saying.

Like I said before this topic comes up every other week and what is being done about it? Have you did anything? The answer is no. If you feel the need to report abuse then it is encouraged,(if I feel inclined to report someone for abusing something then I will) but constantly griping about something you deem cheating is making you sound like a whiner.

staciarae
June 9th, 2004, 11:50am
I don't cheat. There are too many different contests to win and not enough time to enter all of them so I don't have the time to cheat.

superchickee
June 9th, 2004, 11:53am
I don't cheat either. I rarely have enough time to enter some sweeps once , much less twice. And I will not condemn or judge anybody who cheats. I just hope IF YOU CHEAT, YOU GET CAUGHT !!!! :mad3:

jafarhie
June 9th, 2004, 11:55am
I hope I'm not coming off as holier-than-thou because guess what? I cheat sometimes on sweeps (I use Robo on sweeps that prohibit it, because darnit I'd enter the sweep anyway and it's not doing much harm to the sponsor). It's simply a choice I make, but at least I'm honest about it and not trying to fool myself.

Sorry Gomez but in most of your posts you come of as holier than thou. :eek: :shock:

jafarhie
June 9th, 2004, 11:59am

Exactly!!

eskhaton
June 9th, 2004, 11:59am
I love all these people who don't have time to play detective, don't have time to figure out who's cheating, don't have time to worry about other people's ethics . . . but have PLENTY of time to visit and re-visit a thread that irritates and annoys them, and to post over and over about how they don't have time to police other people.

EALSKI
June 9th, 2004, 12:48pm
When I first started entering contests it was many years ago via snail mail. I would enter for my family members if there was a prize I knew they could use. There were a very small number of contests that stated in the rules that the entry must be filled out by the entrant. In those cases I either did not enter or had my family members fill out the 3x5 and the envelope. I did not want to take a chance on being disqualified. So I don't know... I feel as long as it dosn't state it in the rules (entry must be sent by entrant) and my family member is the one that will be using the prize I really don't believe I am cheating. I also use roboform but where contests prohibit the use of automated entries I type out my info. I know I am taking a chance that I may have missed it in the fine print but if I get disqualified I have no one else to blame but myself.

carolpie
June 9th, 2004, 1:25pm
I try to do what it says-if once per household, then only one time. Who would want to be disqualified and it is also wasting your time. But the Roboform stuff I just don't get.......It's just a form filler. I don't even know what Macro or script, etc. is! Don't even know if it's called that.

jafarhie
June 9th, 2004, 1:34pm
I love all these people who don't have time to play detective, don't have time to figure out who's cheating, don't have time to worry about other people's ethics . . . but have PLENTY of time to visit and re-visit a thread that irritates and annoys them, and to post over and over about how they don't have time to police other people.

Who are you to question what thread I visit? Who in the hell made you the posting police? ROTF!!! Just because I won't waste my time trying to worry about over a million sweepers using roboform like you and others do, or try to investigate someone cheating does not mean that I think it ok.

But for you to have the audacity to question if I should post here is out of line and disrespectful. I never thought that their were people on OLS like this, but as you will figure out I really don't care what ya think. LOL

mvir9
June 9th, 2004, 1:41pm
As long as it follows the rules -- there should be no "moral" issue. It is my personal choice not to use auto entry (I'm happy to be a fairly decent typist), and I certainly only enter as much as the sweep allows. I do this solely for the reason that I don't wish to be DQ'd. I'm here to try to win . . . not to waste my time falsely entering sweeps just to be DQ'd.

Someone earlier mentioned that you will never change a cheater -- I agree to an extent. Hopefully, however, his/her cheating will lead them to an enormous lack of wins through disqualifications so that they feel they are wasting their time . . .then they will quit entering altogether (or decide to follow the rules).

I think the most interesting case (and irritating) that I've heard is someone entering a dead pet's name . . .!!!!

GLTA

chinchilla
June 9th, 2004, 1:44pm
On unlimited sweeps, hitting submit and back is cheating? Wow, I didnt know that...I do that and have won unlimited sweeps before. Granted I only did it like 15 times a day...but I had no idea that was considered cheating..... :shock: That's because it's NOT cheating. An entry is an entry, and in an unlimited entry sweep you can enter as often as you like. I've never seen rules that say you must wait 30 seconds between entries, or refrain from using the back button, or only click "Submit" when it's 76 degrees and sunny out.

That said, I've been DQ'ed for doing it (entering about 10 times a day by that method), which I believe is wrong. If the rules state unlimited entries, that's exactly what should be allowed.

I've also won two unlimited-entry sweeps that way (10-15 entries per day).

kittiemeow
June 9th, 2004, 1:58pm

I agree 100%. If everybody minded their own &*#$@*#! business this world would be a better place. Take responsibility for yourselves. Stop trying to enforce your morality on everybody else. Everybody has different ideas on what they think is cheating. If someone is cheating and the sponsor cares about it, they will be disqualified. End of story.

AND What are you going to do about it? Complain to the government to stop people from cheating on sweepstakes? I'm sure they would love a good reason to make up some more bullsh*t laws they have no way to enforce.

bonobo
June 9th, 2004, 2:05pm
Well, people have been up on high horses since Day One. The Inquisition, Crusades, Romans nailing Jesus to the cross, etc. But I get your point.

I hope I'm not coming off as holier-than-thou because guess what? I cheat sometimes on sweeps (I use Robo on sweeps that prohibit it, because darnit I'd enter the sweep anyway and it's not doing much harm to the sponsor). It's simply a choice I make, but at least I'm honest about it and not trying to fool myself...But when people cheat and it negatively impacts me that makes me mad. People cheating on sweepstakes to gain entries where not permitted by the rules reduces my chance of winning and that sucks. It's literally robbing me and my family of potential. Same for people who cheat on taxes, that robs our country and I'm a beneficiary of the country so that's robbing me and my family. As a taxpayer and citizen I have every right to speak out against it.

Well said.

bonobo
June 9th, 2004, 2:10pm
...This topic comes up every other week and what is being done about it? Have you did anything? The answer is no. If you feel the need to report abuse then it is encouraged,(if I feel inclined to report someone for abusing something then I will) but constantly griping about something you deem cheating is making you sound like a whiner.

God, I never thought I would come running to the defense of Gomez, but here goes...

He did not start this thread. Just because he's said it before doesn't mean if people are asking for opinions about the subject he should keep clam. He isn't "constantly griping", he's responding to a thread. Don't get your panties all up in a wad. Geez.

kittiemeow
June 9th, 2004, 2:13pm
Same for people who cheat on taxes, that robs our country and I'm a beneficiary of the country so that's robbing me and my family. As a taxpayer and citizen I have every right to speak out against it
I know I should keep my mouth shut but I can't.

It's the "beneficiary attitude" of the people in the country that is causing most of our problems. What can the government do for me? We are losing our personal freedoms in exchange for so called "benefits" thanks to thinking like this. It's sickening.

tlak
June 9th, 2004, 2:37pm
OK, it's not fair to have a service or software enter for you "without any help from you whatsoever" but it is fair to have someone else like a spouse enter for you, without any help from you whatsoever? That makes no sense. Think about what you just said.

And the whole smoker sweeps issue is when the rules say the sweep is open to smokers. If you are not a smoker and you enetr anyway you are violating the rules and that is cheating.
The software issue is so that a warm body comes to their site and looks at the merchandise and before you say it if theres something intersting I show whomevers interested.
I could use a nw vehicle, boat money etc but then so could my wife 43, son 22 and daughter 19 all of whom qualify for almost every contest.

abbygirl
June 9th, 2004, 2:43pm
Previously, I admitted I am a cheat. I enter for my husband as well as myself. Criticize me, flog me, cart me off to jail if you must, but the more I read this whole thread, the more I think some of you are much too rigid and I don't believe all of you anyway. I just think it is ridiculous for me to be at the computer entering sweeps and then turning it off and having my husband then sit down at the very same computer and entering again. As much as I love sweeping and winning, we do have other things that have to be done as well. Sweeping is, or used to be, fun or at least I think it is supposed to be. Everyone has a reason to sweep whether it be fun, therapy, a way to spend time, entertainment. Some hope to win the big one to get them out of debt, etc. It is a chance, a gamble. No one should take it so seriously. There will always be cheaters - real cheaters, I mean, who will try to bend the rules or "flex" them to their own satisfaction or purpose. But, come on. Lighten up. Besides, how often do the real cheaters really win?

DebiLyn
June 9th, 2004, 3:52pm
This is something I really hate to see. OLS members at each other. Cheating is a moral issue. And as mortals not our place to judge. I only have responsibility over my actions. And it is only my actions that I will have to answer for.

aurora777
June 9th, 2004, 4:10pm
Like most of you, I don't indulge in blatant cheating. However, how stringent are we going to be in our definitions? I enter kids contest on behalf of my children. But honestly, if we ever won something big, like the elusive "WinYourWish" contest, at least part of that prize would go to me.

RainGypsy
June 9th, 2004, 4:23pm
I dont really worry or think about it much, but I feel that entering for your spouse, children, parents, etc gives an unfair advantage. I don't think sponsors mean "one entry per person but we dont care who enters them". Maybe they do.

I am not that worried about it though. I am sure I technically "cheat" on some sweeps because I dont spend tons of time reading the official rules for every sweeps I enter :smile11:

eskhaton
June 9th, 2004, 4:23pm
Just because I won't waste my time trying to worry about over a million sweepers using roboform like you and others do

I'm trying very hard to remember when I ever worried about who used roboform. (Or is it that I and a million others use roboform?)

Why is it that on these message boards so few people ever really respond to what others actually have written? Person A will write something like, "Have you ever heard of someone entering himself several times, changing his middle initial each time?" And Person B will come back with, "I enter myself and my husband, and if it's cheating to enter my husband, well phooey on you!" (HUH???) Seriously, what's with all the imagined slights? In a thread about your favorite candy, if someone writes "I like Butterfinger better than Baby Ruth", odds are 2-1 there soon will be a post saying, "Who the hell are you to judge what candy I like? I like Baby Ruth! So what? Does this make me an evil person?"

I'd like to get a psychologist on here who could explain this "They're all out to condemn me!" pattern. It's like the Land of a Thousand Martyrs.

JarnocanME
June 9th, 2004, 4:45pm
I think really deliberately cheating is very wrong and selfish, mean spirited to others etc. :mad3:
It hurts everyone in several ways including; because some of the "safe guards" that the companies employ actually hurt people who don't cheat. Like people who just use robo form, or people who use a shared computer (family,friends, dorm or public), sometimes they may be disqualified. :cry:
The referal thing,
I think totally bogus referals aren't fair but lots of people have junk ones they let people use for referals. They should just limit the referals to a few, any one who submits tons of them, is a real 'pro' or a cheat.

I do not have a problem with 1 entry per person, even if their wife (or DH)entered etc., some people do have more time, it's no big deal.

OOPS :bhead: typo queen I've felt like shredding my computer a few times but it won't fit, cram it.:)

mgkamish
June 9th, 2004, 4:46pm
Please, what's a shred computer? Thanks!

TrishMc107
June 9th, 2004, 4:47pm
I'm trying very hard to remember when I ever worried about who used roboform. (Or is it that I and a million others use roboform?)

Why is it that on these message boards so few people ever really respond to what others actually have written? Person A will write something like, "Have you ever heard of someone entering himself several times, changing his middle initial each time?" And Person B will come back with, "I enter myself and my husband, and if it's cheating to enter my husband, well phooey on you!" (HUH???) Seriously, what's with all the imagined slights? In a thread about your favorite candy, if someone writes "I like Butterfinger better than Baby Ruth", odds are 2-1 there soon will be a post saying, "Who the hell are you to judge what candy I like? I like Baby Ruth! So what? Does this make me an evil person?"

I'd like to get a psychologist on here who could explain this "They're all out to condemn me!" pattern. It's like the Land of a Thousand Martyrs.

:laugh:

Funny but sad
Funny but true.

jenninshelby
June 9th, 2004, 7:51pm
Some sweeps prohibit using software or macros to enter and Robo qualifies as both, other sweeps prohibit Robo explicitly. Read the rules and you'll see many sweeps prohibit macros. But I didn't mean to imply that all sweeps prohibit this since they do not.

The only time I would consider using Robo as really cheating is when the rules clearly say something about you have to manually keystroke everything.

jenninshelby
June 9th, 2004, 8:02pm
That's terrible logic. Just because you get away with something by cheating does not mean the people 1) knew you cheated; or, 2) think it's okay. For example if you cheat on your taxes and get away with it you can't assume the IRS knew about it and decided it was just okay.

Regardless, unless it's prohibited in the rules hitting the "back" button to go back and submit an entry again is not cheating on a multiple entry sweep. I'm not sure where people are getitng that from?

Does the IRS not take steps to try to make sure people do not cheat them? Do they not bare some responsibility? If a company does not want you doing this then why do they not set it up where you cannot do it. I thought hitting back and hitting submit would be considered reproduced something or whatever. Some people with money hire someone just so they can rip the IRS off. Ever heard of write offs and loop holes?

jenninshelby
June 9th, 2004, 8:07pm
[QUOTE=Gomez]I hope I'm not coming off as holier-than-thou because guess what? I cheat sometimes on sweeps (I use Robo on sweeps that prohibit it, because darnit I'd enter the sweep anyway and it's not doing much harm to the sponsor). It's simply a choice I make, but at least I'm honest about it and not trying to fool myself.QUOTE]

HA!! You admit you cheat about the exact thing you sometimes talk about and preach about to people on here as cheating using RoboForm. :laugh:

priscillacatheri
June 9th, 2004, 8:17pm
Remember the old saying, "Cheater's NEVER win." That doesn't mean the prize of the moment but in the end they will burn :mad2: unless of course they burn that bridge behind them.
Having people be so friviolous and proud about cheating on this site makes me sick! I wonder if it is even worth my time to enter the sweeps here with that going on. :shock:

Gomez
June 10th, 2004, 11:00am
Does the IRS not take steps to try to make sure people do not cheat them? Do they not bare some responsibility? If a company does not want you doing this then why do they not set it up where you cannot do it. Some people with money hire someone just so they can rip the IRS off. Ever heard of write offs and loop holes?

Taking advantage of writeoofs and deductions is not cheating since these are permissible by the IRS. The tax code is complex and eiter you take advantage of available shelters or you do not.

Just because someone doesn't actively take steps to keep you from cheating it doesn't make it any more acceptable. Just because you *can* do something doesn't make it okay.

Foxfire0-0-7
June 10th, 2004, 11:06am
Let's just all play nice......enjoy each others views and comments and smile....life is way too short....

jenninshelby
June 10th, 2004, 10:11pm
Taking advantage of writeoofs and deductions is not cheating since these are permissible by the IRS. The tax code is complex and eiter you take advantage of available shelters or you do not.

Just because someone doesn't actively take steps to keep you from cheating it doesn't make it any more acceptable. Just because you *can* do something doesn't make it okay.

Come on! People cheat on taxes all the time and you know that is true. You admit to cheating. Is it only ok when you do it? Or not ok but you do it anyway? Just curious as to how your thought process works on this cheating thing. :)

damaris
June 10th, 2004, 10:24pm
I have cheated I think. Let me know. I confess. I use roboform. You know the sweepstakes that have the page of referrals you get after entering? My robo fills it out with my name and e-mail. I hit enter. It accepts my own e-mail address 5 times as referrals... the same e-mail I entered the sweeps with. I get 5 more entries. The eprize sweepstakes you can always do this with. I liked to think that since they accepted it, it must be OK to refer yourself.

Krystal
June 10th, 2004, 10:41pm
Do some cheaters sweep?? :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

jenninshelby
June 10th, 2004, 10:50pm
I have cheated I think. Let me know. I confess. I use roboform. You know the sweepstakes that have the page of referrals you get after entering? My robo fills it out with my name and e-mail. I hit enter. It accepts my own e-mail address 5 times as referrals... the same e-mail I entered the sweeps with. I get 5 more entries. The eprize sweepstakes you can always do this with. I liked to think that since they accepted it, it must be OK to refer yourself.

You can do that? I harldy ever do the refer thing. Simply because the friends and family I have online are not into sweeping. I have 4 friends that I met on a sweep yahoogroup and they told me I can use em. So we use each other.

Cephus
June 11th, 2004, 1:29am

Chances are excellent that all of those additional entries are being invalidated. Just because the contest accepts it doesn't mean they aren't disqualified down the road, which almost certainly they are.

mokeefe
June 11th, 2004, 3:24am

In this case, you are most likely DQing yourself everytime. What better evidence could there be to a ROBOFORM than your own email several times in the referral area? EGADS. And you don't think their programming can pick up that your referal entries are all the same address- AND that it's yours??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yadgirl
June 11th, 2004, 12:25pm
Unfortunately, the people who do cheat spoil sweeps for those of us who don't cheat. Since so many people use Robo and enter for other people, I think the Judging agencies watch for people who enter every day or every one-entry sweep, and disqualify people as they see fit.

yad

Leona100K
June 11th, 2004, 12:31pm
I honestly didn't know there were ways to cheat.. I figured that most or all places you go to enter contests online have tracking devices e.g. cookies, etc. that would let them know if you were comming back or not..

http://ut.netmusicpromotions.com/w1rm525809bwe.html

http://ut.netmusicpromotions.com/trk952580zkjz.html

http://ut.netmusicpromotions.com/1yxz52580osni.html

http://ut.netmusicpromotions.com/wwzr52580krnk.html

http://ut.netmusicpromotions.com/76jp52580esq0.html

damaris
June 11th, 2004, 2:48pm
In this case, you are most likely DQing yourself everytime. What better evidence could there be to a ROBOFORM than your own email several times in the referral area? EGADS. And you don't think their programming can pick up that your referal entries are all the same address- AND that it's yours??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Laugh all you want but I have won on the referral entries and gotten my prize. Some sweeps are programmed to not accept your own e-mail address as a referral. Some aren't. Since I have won on my own referral entries and received the prize, I am not completely sure I have "cheated"!

mokeefe
June 11th, 2004, 4:49pm
That's cool. I don't care if people cheat or not. I enter for my daughter everyday and I use a
form filler. I don't know if your method is cheating either! If the sweep doesn't care- why should you? I guess I just find myself spending so much time at this that I don't wish to waste any time by DQing myself. Good Luck and more wins to ya! :cool2:

Gomez
June 15th, 2004, 10:59am
Just because you "got away" with something doesn't mean it wasn't cheating. I can't believe people think that.

I cheat on small stuff such as using robo in sweeps that say not to but I'm not going to be an idiot and lie about it to myself to make myself feel better.

GinGin
June 15th, 2004, 11:13am
This is the first time I am agreeing with Gomez. :laugh:

-GinGin

newhotam
June 15th, 2004, 11:14am
Thanks Gomez for being honest. I agree cheating is cheating, no matter what you want to call it.

Cephus
June 15th, 2004, 11:55am
While I agree that a lot of people cheat, it's a little foolish to run around screeching about it all the time. So what? It's basic human nature to try to get ahead. People are going to cheat and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

The people who do contests need to deal with that fact and develop a thicker skin. Virtually all contests block multiple entries per day. If they don't, whose fault is that? I really don't get the companies who take it as a personal insult that someone enters 800x per day. If they don't have the proper software to block it, why are they spending all their time pointing fingers at everyone else?

Sure, people shouldn't cheat, but people shouldn't drive over the speed limit either. Whining about either is an exercise in futility.

Reverie
June 15th, 2004, 7:28pm
I've noticed that most people rationalize cheating by thinking that it doesn't hurt the sponsor, or that the sponsor somehow owes them, or that it's the sponsor's fault for not preventing cheating.

The fact is that the rules are there to benefit you ... not the sponsor.

The rules exist because the federal government and state governments regulate sweepstakes. These rules exist because the government is trying to protect the consumer ... you ... not the sponsor or the promotion company. In an unregulated world, the sponsors would have tons of unrealistic hoops for you to jump through to enter ... not the least of which would be to get rid of that pesky "no purchase required" statement.

The rules prohibiting entering for someone else, whether it's your spouse or child or best friend or neighbor or your pet hamster, are there because of privacy issues. The rules specifying smokers only are there because the tobacco companies are restricted from marketing to anyone except a current smoker. Most of the rules that people spend time debating are there for a reason. Not the sponsor's reason, legal and consumer groups' reason.

Cheating ends sweepstakes because the sponsors and promoters know they are under legal scrutiny ... not because they are somehow personally offended that someone has entered 8 zillion times.

jenninshelby
June 15th, 2004, 9:24pm
Just because you "got away" with something doesn't mean it wasn't cheating. I can't believe people think that.

I cheat on small stuff such as using robo in sweeps that say not to but I'm not going to be an idiot and lie about it to myself to make myself feel better.

If a sponsor does Not clearly state in the rules that you must keystroke everything I do Not consider using Roboform cheating. If that makes me an idiot? Then I guess I am a total and complete idiot! I also feel no guilt by using roboform in these cases nor do I need to lie to myself to make self feel better since I am not doing anything wrong in my mind. :)

southflgirl
June 15th, 2004, 9:50pm
Besides, how often do the real cheaters really win?

The real cheaters really do win. We had a group on this site recently that won daily on a sweep that most of us could never win (and it was a nice cash win). It's not the people using macros and entering family members that make me mad but the ones making up false names and emails to enter a sweep hundreds of times a night.

I do think that threads like this are useful because it makes the cheaters realize that most people do find cheating very wrong.

chaching
June 15th, 2004, 9:51pm
Why worry about something that you have no control over? Please get a LIFE!!!!! Just keep entering the sweeps and you will win.

yadgirl
June 16th, 2004, 2:42am
I have noticed something about the clan from Ohio that won multiple times on the Schwans sweepstakes. They will never say where they are from in their profiles and they always say something like mind your own business and they always claim they do not cheat. They have many, many members in their gypsy family.

Well it's been said that if you're going to do something, you might as well be good at it. :)

yad

pteilman
June 16th, 2004, 3:01am
I still consider myself fairly new to sweeping and only moderately computer savvy. I haven't cheated since it hadn't occurred to me how to even do it! Surprisingly, I'm still winning enough to keep this entertaining for me!

I guess there are always going to be people who can scam sweepstakes out there. Hopefully, the non-cheaters will occasionally win something too! :smile9:

Gomez
June 16th, 2004, 10:32am
If a sponsor does Not clearly state in the rules that you must keystroke everything I do Not consider using Roboform cheating.

Many sweeps prohibit the use of "macros" or "automated software," both of which describe Roboform. I never said using Robo was cheating in every sweep, but in these sweeps plus the ones that say you must keystroke, yes, using Robo is cheating.

jenninshelby
June 16th, 2004, 11:58pm
Many sweeps prohibit the use of "macros" or "automated software," both of which describe Roboform. I never said using Robo was cheating in every sweep, but in these sweeps plus the ones that say you must keystroke, yes, using Robo is cheating.

I am still not convinced on this macro crap. Since I do not understand it-even though you have tried to explain it? I still say it may not be cheating. :) As for automated software I am convinced they mean sites that do the whole thing for you.

yadgirl
June 17th, 2004, 12:16am
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html#m

Macro
A set of keystrokes and instructions that are recorded, saved, and assigned to a short key code. When the key code is typed, the recorded keystrokes and instructions execute (play back). Macros can simplify day-to-day operations, which otherwise become tedious. For example, a single macro keystroke can set up a connection using pcAnywhere

http://www.aautomate.com/dictionary.htm#M

Macro-Sequence of instructions that for convenience can be executed with one simple command

damaris
June 26th, 2004, 6:52pm
Do u guyz actually read the rules for every sweep u enter? That would take forever for me. So if it says in the rules dont use macros or robo or whatever, and you do, but didnt know because you didnt read the rulz, is that cheating???? Can they tell u use robo anyway?

Donnabonaduce
June 26th, 2004, 8:08pm
I do not feel like Roboform is cheating. This, to me, is only a speed factor. What's the difference between Robo and a fast typist? It is a tool for slow typers, and people with various arm and hand trouble, injured and handicapped people. I use Roboform on many sweeps and in no way do I consider myself a cheater. My hands and arms ache when I type, plus I'm still somewhat a slow typer, and Robo makes it better for me when filling out things. I still have to do the work of going to the web sites and filling in what Robo misses, correcting mistakes, and pressing send. I can totally understand the programs that do all the work without any help from a person being considered as cheating, but not Robo. Excluding Robo, not only hurts so-called "cheaters" it hurts handicapped people. I see it like taking away a ramp and forcing the person in the wheelchair to find their own way up the stairs. This may be an extreme comparison, but I can't help but feel that way. Yes, I get a little carried away sometimes. lol. By the way, I am not making this statement in defense towards any one person on here, because I have no bad feelings or anger towards any of you. I just wanted to give my view on this. I just hope more companies see it similiar to the way I do and continue to allow Robo.

---Donna

mgkamish
June 26th, 2004, 8:11pm
I do not feel like Roboform is cheating. This, to me, is only a speed factor. What's the difference between Robo and a fast typist? It is a tool for slow typers, and people with various arm and hand trouble, injured and handicapped people. I use Roboform on many sweeps and in no way do I consider myself a cheater. My hands and arms ache when I type, plus I'm still somewhat a slow typer, and Robo makes it better for me when filling out things. I still have to do the work of going to the web sites and filling in what Robo misses, correcting mistakes, and pressing send. I can totally understanding the programs that do all the work without any help from a person being considered as cheating, but not Robo. Excluding Robo, not only hurts so-called "cheaters" it hurts handicapped people. I see it like taking away a ramp and forcing the person in the wheelchair to find their own way up the stairs. This may be an extreme comparison, but I can't help but feel that way. Yes, I get a little carried away sometimes. lol. By the way, I am not making this statement in defense towards any one person on here, because I have no bad feelings or anger towards any of you. I just wanted to give my view on this. I just hope more companies see it similiar to the way I do and continue to allow Robo.

---Donna

That is exactly what I told a sponsor when I read that they forbid auto entry tools. I explained Roboform and why I use it. I got back an answer that basically said, "too bad." Guess they don't really care all that much. :(

mandj
June 26th, 2004, 8:22pm
I really don't think I've been doing this long enough to know what cheating is or isn't. But I don't use other email address to enter more than one time. Or use fake email address for referals. But I do enter children only contests using my kids names. Not sure if this is cheating or not, but if I win it goes to my kiddies any how. I guess there really is no black and white when it comes to sweeping now is there?

Donnabonaduce
June 26th, 2004, 8:23pm
Maybe if more people complained to them, they will change it, however long it may take them. Look how long it took for companies, schools, and organizations to allow ramps. Oh well, I'll just keep using Robo in the sweeps that allow it and try not to in the ones that I know that don't. My only fear is.... what if some companies are disqualifying people who use Robo, without stating it in their rules or letting them know? I think all the ones that don't allow Robo should always specify it. That would only be fair.
---Donna

ROSIE203
June 26th, 2004, 8:25pm
why dont we just barbecue the horse since we beat it to death again? :laugh:
the bottom line is some do some don't some will some won't
that should be the end OH!
the end!

yadgirl
June 27th, 2004, 1:33am
Do u guyz actually read the rules for every sweep u enter? That would take forever for me. So if it says in the rules dont use macros or robo or whatever, and you do, but didnt know because you didnt read the rulz, is that cheating???? Can they tell u use robo anyway?

I do read rules for all sweeps I enter, and frequently. Sponsors change online rules fairly often.

I grabbed this from http://eddiebauer-instantwin.psttech.com/rules.html (it's over now)

This is pretty standard in many rules.

"The use of automated devices (or any other devices intended to automate any aspect of entry, including but not limited to entries submitted using any bot, script, macro, online sweepstakes or online form-filling service) to enter is prohibited. If Administrator, at its sole discretion, determines that any entrant has used any automated method to enter, all entries from that entrant will be void and any Daily Prize(s) won by said entrant will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner by means of a random drawing from amongst all eligible non-suspect entries received up until that time. Additionally, any further attempts to enter by the suspect entrant at issue may be blocked."

yad

pinkroses
June 27th, 2004, 10:42am
I don't enter sweepstakes for prizes I don't really need or want because there are so many other sweepstakes to enter. I do enter sweepstakes to win baby related prizes even though I don't have a baby because if I win then I will give the prize to someone I know who could use it.

Maineiac
June 27th, 2004, 10:45am
I'm too lazy to cheat...

skshade
June 28th, 2004, 1:12pm
I read a note the other week on a short term entry daily contest where you could maybe refer a few friends. I had entered daily and even referred a few friends and had a total of 35 entries. This sweeper stated in notes that they had 650 entries! I was thinking they must have used multiple em addresses--not sure what they did but I was thinking I don't stand a chance. It was discouraging. I consider that cheating in my book.

mgkamish
June 28th, 2004, 1:15pm
I know the numbers sound disheartening but remember: it only takes one entry to win and you ARE a lucky person. Be sure to post this win for us. :)

carogonza
June 28th, 2004, 1:17pm
I'm too lazy to cheat...

I hear ya. It takes too much energy to use multiple email addresses and keep track of all that.

skshade
June 28th, 2004, 1:24pm
for the encouraging note Mgkamish! I plan on continuing to be an avid sweeper at OLS and just want to thank everyone who takes the time here to post tips and info for everyone --the forums have helped me a lot. GLTA in your entries! :cheer3:

blues2u
June 28th, 2004, 1:34pm
Would it be better put to ask do some cheaters sweep? :whistle: It's really sad to have a sweep shut down because someone abused the amount of entries. :crowd: :uhoh: Clinton supporters, jeez! :confused:

pinkroses
June 28th, 2004, 5:00pm
I'm too lazy to cheat...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

skshade
June 28th, 2004, 8:16pm
Laugh all you want but I have won on the referral entries and gotten my prize. Some sweeps are programmed to not accept your own e-mail address as a referral. Some aren't. Since I have won on my own referral entries and received the prize, I am not completely sure I have "cheated"!

How can you refer YOURSELF and think thats not cheating? Unless you're Sybil of course.

beckpal
July 9th, 2004, 6:01pm

Yes, I read the rules of every sweep I enter so as NOT to DQ myself.