PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dressing recipe

Current
June 7th, 2004, 10:39pm
I just got the June/July issue of Saveur magazine and they had a recipe that I am dying to try.

Those of you who know a bit about me know that I am a Ranch dressing freak. I would bathe in the stuff if I could. I dip almost whatever I am eating in Ranch dressing...... chips, fries, bbq, burgers, bacon, hotdogs, pizza, roast beef, lasagna, garlic bread... I put Ranch dressing on top of spagetti, baked chicken, even mashed potatoes. (yes...I know...I'm sick.)

Has anyone ever made their own Ranch dressing? I never have, but I am willing to try.

To those of you who are Ranch freakazoids like I am, does this sound like a good recipe?

1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. onion salt
1/4 tsp. dried chives
1/4 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
Pinch gound oregano
1 cup buttermilk

Put mayonnaise, onion salt, chives, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper and oregano into a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Beat mayonnaise mixture with an electric mixer on low speed for about 5 seconds, then increase speed to medium and beat until smooth, about 20 seconds. Scrape dressing down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase speed to high and gradually add buttermilk, beating constantly until all the buttermilk is incorporated and the dressing is very smooth, about 2 minutes more.

Cover and refrigerate dressing for at least 12 hours. Stir dressing well before serving. Dressing will keep, refrigerated in a covered container, for up to 2 weeks.

hort1
June 8th, 2004, 9:00am
Current - I love ranch dressing in the summer to go with burgers, steaks, etc. I've made my own. I'll try and post it - it's pretty similar, but you can compare if you want. I find homemade is usually thinner than bottled. Also, the taste is not exactly the same, which may be good or bad depending on your perspective. I'm going to try the recipe you posted soon!

TabooU
June 11th, 2004, 9:39pm
I've never made ranch but it's my favorite to eat. love it my favorite is bacon ranch :supstar:

hort1
June 12th, 2004, 5:14pm
Here is the ranch dressing recipe I have used. It's pretty similar to yours Current.

1. On a cutting board, mash 1 or 2 peeled garlic cloves with 1/2 tsp. salt. Use the back of a spoon and mash until you have a paste.

2. Scrape into a bowl and whisk in:
3/4 C buttermilk
1/2 C sour cream or mayo
2 TBSP. lime juice
1 TBSP each of: chopped parsley, chopped chives, and chopped dill.
salt/pepper to taste.

I think I usually end up adding extra sour cream to thicken.

daskds
June 15th, 2004, 3:59pm
We love to eat left over steak and chicken on salads in the summer time and my all time fav dressing is to mix 1/2 Ranch and 1/2 really good salsa. This is sooo yummy! It also makes a great dip. Hubby likes to have more Ranch than salsa, but I like the kick.

tigress2b
June 15th, 2004, 4:02pm
We love to eat left over steak and chicken on salads in the summer time and my all time fav dressing is to mix 1/2 Ranch and 1/2 really good salsa. This is sooo yummy! It also makes a great dip. Hubby likes to have more Ranch than salsa, but I like the kick.

i do this too yummy. When I order the southwestern chicken salad at Max & Ermas I ask for both ranch and salsa. :smile9:

hort1
June 15th, 2004, 4:46pm
i do this too yummy. When I order the southwestern chicken salad at Max & Ermas I ask for both ranch and salsa. :smile9:
Yummmmm.....Max and Erma's. Haven't eaten at one in years ('cause there isn't one near me!). They used to have a "garbage burger" that would come out with whatever they threw on it in the kitchen.

Veuve-Cliquot
June 15th, 2004, 5:21pm
Both of those recipes for Ranch Dressing sound great, but if you really want the best Ranch, you have to make your own mayonnaise to use in it instead of using store bought.

Here's Alton Brown's incredibly good mayo recipe (and it's not that hard to make, either, and you won't believe the difference in taste from what comes in the jars):

1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil, safflower or corn

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you?ve got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.
Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

dandylin
June 15th, 2004, 5:25pm
Both of those recipes for Ranch Dressing sound great, but if you really want the best Ranch, you have to make your own mayonnaise to use in it instead of using store bought.

Here's Alton Brown's incredibly good mayo recipe (and it's not that hard to make, either, and you won't believe the difference in taste from what comes in the jars):

1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you?ve got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.
Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

I've made this, I think! I love Alton Brown, he's a freak!

Thanks for the Ranch recipes!

hort1
June 15th, 2004, 7:50pm
homemade mayo = goodstuff!

kbsocial
June 15th, 2004, 7:51pm

1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar

Can I move in with you??:D

Veuve-Cliquot
June 15th, 2004, 10:46pm
Can I move in with you??:D

KB, that sounds really fun, but my wife nixed the idea. She doesn't want to share my cooking with anyone!

(Before anyone freaks out, the person I refer to as my "wife" is not someone I'm married to, but my best friend in the world who I live with. I'm gay, she's straight, we don't sleep together, but in every other way we're just like any other married couple. But without the fighting, and the jealousy, and the hang-ups. It's just like "Will and Grace," except we both have redeemable qualities.)

kbsocial
June 15th, 2004, 10:53pm
KB, that sounds really fun, but my wife nixed the idea. She doesn't want to share my cooking with anyone!

(Before anyone freaks out, the person I refer to as my "wife" is not someone I'm married to, but my best friend in the world who I live with. I'm gay, she's straight, we don't sleep together, but in every other way we're just like any other married couple. But without the fighting, and the jealousy, and the hang-ups. It's just like "Will and Grace," except we both have redeemable qualities.)

:sob: Ok then I will have to settle for getting some on the side;) Some RANCH/MAYO that is......daaaaaaaaayum people!!!! :smile9:

mpumr
June 16th, 2004, 12:10am

Count me as one that was about to freak out! I read your first sentence and went "What the... I thought VC was gay" :shocked3: :sweat: . Then you clued me in on what you meant :tongue4: ! Oh and I hope you don't mind that I call you VC for short :gvibes: .

Back to the ranch dressing topic! I've never made it from scratch; however, I do prefer the mix over the bottled. It taste different to me, maybe because the mix is "fresher" than the bottled. I'll have to try making it from scratch sometime.

Marsha