PDA

View Full Version : Big Ups for Farmers!

bewitched
April 28th, 2004, 11:39pm
I was curious if any of you are members of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)? While living in California our close friends were organic farmers. They formed a CSA with another local farm and we picked up our fresh produce once a week. I have never in my life had such incredible tasting food. When we moved to the Seattle area one of the first things we did was look for a CSA in this area. We've found a great farm that provides equally as good produce. I can't recommend joining a CSA enough if you love good food. Everything is fresh and there's nothing like knowing you're supporting local farms.

Just finishing up eating some delicious organic strawberries!

Tabitha

hort1
April 29th, 2004, 4:41pm
We have looked into the farms here that participate in CSA programs. Our only issue is that we would likely end up wasting a lot of food due to the quantity that you receive. However, we have a very good farmer's market system here and get what we need that way. Most of the same farms in the CSA program sell at the markets.
Our state Organic Farmer's co-op estimates that if every family in the state spent $10/week on local foods, it would put $100 million/year into the farm system. Here, that's small farmers, not giant food conglomerates such as ConAgra.
D**n, now you've got me thinking about blueberries.....

bewitched
April 29th, 2004, 5:00pm
We've been really lucky to belong to CSAs that let you pick and choose what you would like in your box and how much you would like. It's really handy for those of us who have small gardens that produce a small little bit. I would have to agree with you, if we didn't have the option of choosing what and how much we want, we would be wasting a lot.

Love Farmers Markets, but gotta learn how to stay away from all the organic bakeries that are set up there too!

Tabitha