PDA

View Full Version : Gift Subscription Rules & Guidelines

Brent
April 27th, 2004, 6:50am
If you would like to give a subscription to another OLS member (or "sponsor" another member), I would recommend you go about it in one of two ways.

Either give a subscription to another OLS member that you feel is deserving because you are familiar with them personally, or sponsor your own contest or sweep and give it away as a prize.

What I'm not going to allow is people actively soliciting others for subscriptions, for exactly the same reasons we don't allow other forms of personal solicitations. One, there is no way to know who is telling the truth when someone says they can't afford a membership. And two, there is no doubt that there are some people who will take advantage if they think they can get something free out of it.

And I'm not going to start letting people solicit donations for "funds" set up to provide gift subscriptions, for much the same reasons.

The issue isn't about whether or not I think any one individual is trustworthy or not. The issue is it's logistically impossible to try and make that determination every time someone wants to make a solicitation- of any kind. Even if I could try it, there is no doubt that some of our members would end up having their good intentions taken advantage of, and I'm just not going to let that happen.

If you want to pick another member to give a subscription to, I'd suggest choosing a member based on what they add or contribute to OLS. That could mean anything you want. Maybe they submit a lot of sweeps, or maybe they are especially kind or helpful. Rewarding members for the positive things they bring to the OLS community will also encourage more of it.

Or, you could just hold your own contest or sweep here in the forums to give a subscription away as a prize. Doing it this way gives everyone a fair chance to win and you don't have to worry about having to pick one individual person over everyone else.

* As of today (4/27), I do not have the subscription system set up so that you can transfer some of your subscription time directly to another member. So for now, the only way to give a subscription to another member is by making a gift purchase through either PayPal or a check/money order. I will have it set up to transfer subscription time sometime soon I hope. Transfers will have to be done in 3, 6 or 12 month increments, and only subscription time received through past donations will be able to be split-up (3 months here, 6 months there, etc.). At least that's the way it looks right now. If you are looking to transfer some of your current subscription time, you'll have to wait until then.

Brent

hudson9610
April 27th, 2004, 7:14am
Very smart move
But I believe you may make some alittle upset
keep up the good work :jump: :jump:

caseycupcake
April 27th, 2004, 7:29am
Glad you stepped in, Brent. Things were getting a little out of hand.

antgama
April 27th, 2004, 7:38am
I only have been here a few months but I've got to say ...Brent you really do keep on top of things!You do not shy away from what needs to be said and done.You do a great job on this site.

ginamom
April 27th, 2004, 10:54am
I only have been here a few months but I've got to say ...Brent you really do keep on top of things!You do not shy away from what needs to be said and done.You do a great job on this site.

I totally agree! Took the words right out of my mouth. (er, fingertips?)

lex2100
April 27th, 2004, 11:31am
Just for the record.......this is what I've received.
these members all paid via PayPal on 4/24.

Susan L. $2.63
fee .38 = $2.25

Karolyn Y. $30.00
fee $1.17 = $28.83

Linsey K. .74
fee .32 = .42

Yvonne N. $3.00
fee .39 = $2.61

Gail C. $3.50
fee .40 = $3.10

These members got a 3 month membership paid for:

Peggysue
JORDANSGRAM
The Seahorse Lady
SonFlower2002
kimberlym1968
shuliwiffen
dorky*diva

ttucker575
April 27th, 2004, 5:59pm
good idea Brent...simple and to the point

RainGypsy
April 27th, 2004, 6:07pm
If you buy one for someone who you arent that familiar with, you might want to do an age-check. I bought one for a gal and when her mom found out she refused to let her daughter (teenage) accept it (understandably!!), so I wasted Current's and Brent's time seeing if I could get the subscription transferred/refunded. :smile9:

sunnydays
April 27th, 2004, 6:23pm
Brent, Very well thought out. I think most people are honest, but the sad truth is not everone is.

Thanks for all the work you put into OLS!

The Seahorse Lady
April 27th, 2004, 6:53pm
I am extremely grateful for my gift subscription. This family has helped me so much this past year. No matter how bad I'm feeling, I know that I can always come here and feel better. You have all been a source of strength, courage and inspiration.

Random acts of goodness and kindness is one of the major things that I feel is so great about this place. The love and compassion for complete "strangers" never ceases to amaze me.

As I've stated before, the whole world needs to come here for a few hours and just read some of the posts and perhaps we could have peace in this crazy world.

I will return the favor for someone else in need when as soon as I am able.

Thank you for all who made it happen.

:gvibes:

princessJ
April 27th, 2004, 7:25pm
Well said Brent!

judyv01510
April 27th, 2004, 10:41pm
i see no one on this thread needed a membership. (except Sea horse). The people that I have donated to may or may not be "worthy" but if I hit just on worthy person it was worth it. I do agree that some people will take advantage but I for one will not live out the rest of my life not giving because someone may take advantage.

allie
April 28th, 2004, 2:35am
Thank you Brent, good move I think.

Gomez
April 28th, 2004, 9:24am
Brent's decision shows a lot of class. He did what he thought was right even though it will cut down on the money his site makes. Not too many businesses these days who will turn down money based on principle. Keep up the good work!

By the way I am glad he decided to go this way. I was not enjoying what I was seeing at all. Those who wish to be charitable can still help needy folks out by donating to a charity such as the American Cancer Society, UNICEF, March of Dimes, etc.

jafarhie
June 16th, 2004, 2:35pm
I really do feel it's a personal judgement call to donate a subscription to someone or not. It's true their is no way to verify anyone's stories unless you live next to them or know them personally. However, I have always felt that if you give something to someone you don't give it wondering if someone is taking advantage of you. If you have that feeling then it's best not to donate at all. That's what I was taught.

Anyways, I think Brent's new rules are reasonable. :)

cpnqn
July 4th, 2004, 12:14am
Being one that is unable to afford it- (and certainly don't want anyone's charity- we have been blessed tremendously through this site!)- I think I myself would feel better about at least 'earning' it if it were offered as a sweep sponsored by another member... I just don't feel that my family is anymore worthy than someone elses- or even other charities for that matter- but, if it were a CONTEST- well, then I feel better! So, thanks Brent that sounds like a much better 'alternative' for everyone!

crandreww
September 13th, 2004, 9:03pm
Keep up the great work Brent! :grin4:

Xanthippe
October 6th, 2004, 8:06pm
Am I having a blonde moment or what? I can't seem to find any info on the Premier Membership. :sherlock: How do you become a Premier Member? :worry:

ignoramoose
October 6th, 2004, 8:12pm
Am I having a blonde moment or what? I can't seem to find any info on the Premier Membership. :sherlock: How do you become a Premier Member? :worry:

Here is a link to info about what premium membership entails:
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122603

To become a premium member, click on User CP (the green bar near the top of your screen), then click on Paid Subscriptions (under Miscellaneous on the left side) and that will take you to options for payment on becoming a premium member.

mcclave
December 2nd, 2004, 4:11pm
Chingow and a mustache, I think back to a thread I started ANY GOOD BONES TODAY and I shutter to think how I never want to be misunderstood on this website again. I ended up with a membership from an OLS angel and am very thankful for it.
I was sending you cash in the mail soon after hoping I would eventualy be able to send you enough to pass on the favor. Then Darcy was kind enough to direct me to your feelings on the matter at which time I was in agreement.

Brent, I for one am very glad that you are back in the saddle as things tend to go a little nuts when you are not around.

OLS ROCKS!!!!!! :toot:

edubz02
March 29th, 2005, 1:19am
Hey brent,
Sorry for asking for a donation! i didnt know. hope this doesn't affect my OLS membership and soon to be premium membership ;) sorry again!

deckit
September 22nd, 2005, 8:28pm
when i had my stroke earlier this year i posted how i felt about the experience. not to good i had never really been sick before and it was the only time i spent time in the hospital. i did mention that i needed to renew my subscription but i never intended anyone to get it for me. and someone did for 3 months. it was a random act of kindness because the person did not reveal his or her name. i almost broke out in tears when i saw this . ive always been self efficiant and self employed and never asked or relied on anyone for anything. but, i am truly greatful and was really blown away by this act by someone i dont know when i have never been in such a depressed state in my life.what an impact it made on my recovery by creating a better state of mind and heart. but i do know what you mean. ive seen the same handful of people asking for someone to pay for them. it would be easy to do because ols has some of the kindest folks on the internet, i know first hand.

Janir
September 26th, 2005, 5:39am
i had my stroke earlier this year i posted how i felt about the experience. not to good i had never really been sick before and it was the only time i spent time in the hospital. i did mention that i needed to renew my subscription but i never intended anyone to get it for me. and someone did for 3 months. it was a random act of kindness because the person did not reveal his or her name. i almost broke out in tears when i saw this . ive always been self efficiant and self employed and never asked or relied on anyone for anything. but, i am truly greatful and was really blown away by this act by someone i dont know when i have never been in such a depressed state in my life.what an impact it made on my recovery by creating a better state of mind and heart. but i do know what you mean. ive seen the same handful of people asking for someone to pay for them. it would be easy to do because ols has some of the kindest folks on the internet, i know first hand.[/QUOTE]
Bless you & I hope you are feeling better now! :gvibes: :gvibes: :gvibes:

sheloves2win
September 26th, 2005, 6:23am
I agree with it.. It doesn't stop members from helping others if they choose but, it will stop people from just asking for stuff.. Brent really does do a great job of making this site fun for us all and a pretty stress free environment except for the political pages and if you read those you want to get into it w/someone.... :cool2:

moonbat monitor
September 26th, 2005, 11:58pm
I'm new, just doin' a test post here....

:cheer7:

StarbucksAddict
January 30th, 2006, 8:32pm
What I'm not going to allow is people actively soliciting others for subscriptions, for exactly the same reasons we don't allow other forms of personal solicitations. One, there is no way to know who is telling the truth when someone says they can't afford a membership. And two, there is no doubt that there are some people who will take advantage if they think they can get something free out of it.

And I'm not going to start letting people solicit donations for "funds" set up to provide gift subscriptions, for much the same reasons.

The issue isn't about whether or not I think any one individual is trustworthy or not. The issue is it's logistically impossible to try and make that determination every time someone wants to make a solicitation- of any kind. Even if I could try it, there is no doubt that some of our members would end up having their good intentions taken advantage of, and I'm just not going to let that happen.

Giving this a little :bump: as a reminder.

dvhnv
July 24th, 2006, 3:16pm
very well put Kara ... the fun here is to try to win stuff.

pjscoupons
July 27th, 2006, 4:54pm
that a wise move

Marge Disbrow
November 2nd, 2006, 11:57pm
Why can't I find a place to enter my :cheer7: :cheer7: :cheer7: code for the free 3 month premium subscription?????

InkyPrincess
November 3rd, 2006, 12:17am
Why can't I find a place to enter my :cheer7: :cheer7: :cheer7: code for the free 3 month premium subscription?????

What code and what free membership? If someone gifted you it goes through automatically... there should be no code to enter.

kbsocial
November 3rd, 2006, 12:18pm
What code and what free membership? If someone gifted you it goes through automatically... there should be no code to enter.

She is talking about a 3 month membership she was given at the NE Mini Convention in PA - we've emailed her the link :gvibes:

Marge Disbrow
November 3rd, 2006, 12:43pm
Thanks for the help, I entered my code. Now how do I upload my pictures from convention and how do I get my club listed, South Jersey Sweepers. I have e-mailed Kerrie for info at ID she gave at convention, but have not had a response yet.

kbsocial
November 3rd, 2006, 4:33pm
Thanks for the help, I entered my code. Now how do I upload my pictures from convention and how do I get my club listed, South Jersey Sweepers. I have e-mailed Kerrie for info at ID she gave at convention, but have not had a response yet.

I just returned from convention yesterday and have not received any emails from you ~ you can also send me a PM here on the forums if you'd like:)

kbsocial
November 3rd, 2006, 4:34pm

You can host your pictures at photobucket or a similar website and post them from there, or you can click Manage Attachments at the bottom of a new post and upload them to the thread, directly from your computer.

I just returned from convention yesterday and have not received any emails from you ~ you can also send me a PM here on the forums if you'd like:)

chris-nichole
November 29th, 2006, 8:36pm
I'm very new to this site. Do we have to pay to be here?

kimkij
November 29th, 2006, 8:46pm
You don't have to pay but paying to be a member, to become "green," has its benefits. Try it!

WELCOME! :)

tawnjun
May 30th, 2007, 4:56am
I haven't been here long, but in my humble opinion, Brent does am amazing job. Whenver i have a question I go to a site and find it. You can't find that on a lot of other web sites. I am definitely going to buy a premium membership when I move later on this summer largely due to the invaluable community here at OLS. Thanks again.

kahalaave
June 5th, 2007, 4:00am
someone bought me a gift of a year of green almost 3 wks ago-still not credited :( am having withdrawls here

StarbucksAddict
June 5th, 2007, 2:49pm
someone bought me a gift of a year of green almost 3 wks ago-still not credited :( am having withdrawls here

Do you know how it was done, whether it was online or if a check was sent in?

kahalaave
June 5th, 2007, 4:15pm
Do you know how it was done, whether it was online or if a check was sent in?

yes a check was mailed 3 wks ago with my ols name and ols number on it-thx

flbeachbum
June 5th, 2007, 4:28pm
Just for the record.......this is what I've received.
these members all paid via PayPal on 4/24.

Susan L. $2.63
fee .38 = $2.25

Karolyn Y. $30.00
fee $1.17 = $28.83

Linsey K. .74
fee .32 = .42

Yvonne N. $3.00
fee .39 = $2.61

Gail C. $3.50
fee .40 = $3.10

These members got a 3 month membership paid for:

Peggysue
JORDANSGRAM
The Seahorse Lady
SonFlower2002
kimberlym1968
shuliwiffen
dorky*diva

I don't understand your post. AND ... are Janir and Deckit the same people? Just wondering?

BEARHUGS65
July 2nd, 2007, 12:13am
did not know where to post this but beware of new members not being able to pay for a green- was on pogo on turbo 21 and was watching a chat where people come here and con for memberships so they do not have to pay- the person was talking about how to make people feel bad and donate a membership because they cannot afford- so for all you beware- one has done it many times... and this is the ols they were talking about..not saying the above were the ones- just be wise in your choices so you do not get conned- They can afford it just do not want to pay for it when they can get it for free-

delilya
July 2nd, 2007, 12:19am
did not know where to post this but beware of new members not being able to pay for a green- was on pogo on turbo 21 and was watching a chat where people come here and con for memberships so they do not have to pay- the person was talking about how to make people feel bad and donate a membership because they cannot afford- so for all you beware- one has done it many times... and this is the ols they were talking about..not saying the above were the ones- just be wise in your choices so you do not get conned

People never fail to amaze me. Sheesh, for $30 they are willing to lie and cheat? Great lives they've got going there.

BEARHUGS65
July 2nd, 2007, 12:23am
its amazing isn't it- and there is a sucker born every minute..I truly have times when its hard to pay but I prebudget and even pay ahead so I am not stuck without it- by pay ahead I mean several months- its easy to sell a code for a gc here and have someone pay for your membership via thier paypal if you do not have one

jenninshelby
July 2nd, 2007, 12:26am
did not know where to post this but beware of new members not being able to pay for a green- was on pogo on turbo 21 and was watching a chat where people come here and con for memberships so they do not have to pay- the person was talking about how to make people feel bad and donate a membership because they cannot afford- so for all you beware- one has done it many times... and this is the ols they were talking about..not saying the above were the ones- just be wise in your choices so you do not get conned- They can afford it just do not want to pay for it when they can get it for free-

:worry: This has been going on since prem. memberships started.. But for peeps to be in a chat and doing that? Unreal!!

Dawggy
July 2nd, 2007, 12:54am
:bump: :bump: :bump:

I think this needs to stay bumped so ppl will read it, recently there has been a lot of ppl outright begging for premie memberships by hinting about it.

And yeah I have seen the convo's @ pogo bout this subject now I dont mean ppl shouldnt gift... just beware the sharks who only come here to be gifted.

Miki
July 2nd, 2007, 1:17am
Wow, on pogo? Well, I guess it doesn't surprise me. :nono: I agree, that needs to stay bumped to the top.

sparkleygem
July 2nd, 2007, 1:43am
:worry: Really sickening to think that people are coming here and doing that. I can't believe how often someone posts that they want to go green but can't afford it, or that their membership is about to expire & they'll be sad. :rolleyes: They should be ashamed of themselves.

Glenda
July 2nd, 2007, 2:41am
Gee, I remember when I get my behind bit when I said people were making up sob stories to get free memberships, Christmas presents, etc.

yadgirl
July 2nd, 2007, 2:55am

I could name at least one person that you're talking about. Post in the forums. Act like you know nothing about sweeps, and some clueless person gives you a membership.

yad

elittle2004
July 2nd, 2007, 3:04am
Thanks for the info.

Dawggy
July 2nd, 2007, 3:20am
I could name at least one person that you're talking about. Post in the forums. Act like you know nothing about sweeps, and some clueless person gives you a membership.

yad
yep yep yep I could point out one right now :) wouldnt be hard to find either.

viokasegirl
July 2nd, 2007, 4:18am
Considering I know someone IRL who burned down his own trailer on Christmas eve to get presents for his kids (it was a little suspicious how the TV ended up in the storage shed, even though he claimed the fire spread too rapidly for him to save anything :laugh:) how many people are going to go to the trouble to try and scam the ol' softies here? Its not that much effort to write a begging post, compared to burning your own house down...:frown3:

feelinlucky
July 2nd, 2007, 5:18am

yad
I noticed that also. I hope nobody falls for that crap. :worry:

gemini lion
July 2nd, 2007, 5:49am
I noticed that also. I hope nobody falls for that crap. :worry:

I think someone already has.

Maineiac
July 2nd, 2007, 5:56am
yep yep yep I could point out one right now :) wouldnt be hard to find either.

I wish those threads were nipped in the bud when posted. POOF!

annulla
July 2nd, 2007, 7:39am
the person was talking about how to make people feel bad and donate a membership because they cannot afford-

People here use that strategy to make other people pay for all kinds of things, not just OLS memberships.

I see it all the time, the same people posting woe-is-me stories over and over again. They always desperately need something-or-other but they never have enough money. Most of the time some sucker here will pony up the funds for them.

Janir
July 2nd, 2007, 8:18am
People here use that strategy to make other people pay for all kinds of things, not just OLS memberships.

I see it all the time, the same people posting woe-is-me stories over and over again. They always desperately need something-or-other but they never have enough money. Most of the time some sucker here will pony up the funds for them.

I'm very sorry to say I agree with you, Annulla, it's very sad. I've been suckered, now I know better.

kbsocial
July 2nd, 2007, 8:49am
I wish those threads were nipped in the bud when posted. POOF!

Please, Please help us by reporting these when you see them pop up - we don't see every thread/every post right away so we rely on the eyes of members to help us out in catching things (spammers, scammers, inappropriate posts, etc) and we are very thankful for those of you that do catch and report these ASAP!!

KristieP
July 2nd, 2007, 10:58am
This reminds me of a thread we had here. One of the members constantly pi$$sed and moaned every day about her money troubles and some of us were going to buy her a year of OLS.. Well it turns out that she was already paid up for 2 years!... Sigh

I have also sent people gifts for the kids birthdays etc etc and never even got a thank you.

No more giving for me :)

bumbeeboo
July 2nd, 2007, 11:27am
It's terrible how it takes one person to ruin things for other people. It will come back to them eventually.

Cybrlee
July 2nd, 2007, 11:36am
This reminds me of a thread we had here. One of the members constantly pi$$sed and moaned every day about her money troubles and some of us were going to buy her a year of OLS.. Well it turns out that she was already paid up for 2 years!... Sigh

I have also sent people gifts for the kids birthdays etc etc and never even got a thank you.

Ya know, this is sad to say, but here it goes :frown4:

My sister is one of these types of people. She will take every disadvantage she comes across to turn it into an ADVANTAGE for her.

She has a daughter, who is 18 years old now, but she had this "condition" that caused her legs to twist.

Mind you, her husband has a great job with a major manufacturer here in the US with great benefits. Such great benefits, that she was able to be a stay at home wife, put thier kids in PRIVATE (christian) schools and buy more than 10 rental properties. They take vacations yearly to exotic destinations like Costa Rica, England and Hondorus.

She really played the part too. She did most of her shopping at garage sales and auctions, always talking about how they lived on a shoe string budget because they only had one income. (I'm sorry, but there are alot of working mothers out there who actually do go out and work as a means to provide for there kids)

Anyway, they did this BIG article in the paper on how the shriners were going to sponsor my neice to have this surgery and how the community could come together to help cover the travel expenses etc for the family :shocked:

Mind you, for the first 16 years of this girls life, her fathers insurance would have covered this surgery, they just didn't bother to do it, or didn't want to pay the deductable. To make matters worse, they said in the media that riding a horse would be good therapy for the girl after her surgery and it would be nice to have a horse for her to ride! :frown7:

If that isn't bad enough, 5 years later, every time she meets someone, she must make it a point to tell them her daughter had this condition and the struggles that she must go through. Even though she is now leading a healthy and normal life, there is always SOMETHING that is not perfect in her life she must take advantage of.

What bothers me the most is they felt no guilt for taking funds that could have been used for a family with a REAL financial need.

And I've seen the same situation here as well.

If I want to know what you and your family is doing I'll ask - I don't come here everyday to read the daily saga of a drama queen. I've seen people who can't pay thier bills, yet spend all day on the computer, (They leave that utility turned on)
I've seen people not have any money for thier childrens birthday and ask for various requests. For crying out loud, get off the internet and go make your kids something!

My new motto is:

Save the Drama for your MAMA.

I'm done giving handouts, I feel this is a sweepstakes site and not a cyber charity organization.

ky2here
July 2nd, 2007, 11:50am
we could have an evening gown, swimsuit and talent portion of the application for a Sally Struthersesque premium gift membership.

Make 'em post the segments on Youtube - that would cut down on the shameless whimpering.

If you want a free membership, you're gonna have to WORK IT.

I might donate toward a fund under those circumstances. LOL :goodevil:

BEARHUGS65
July 2nd, 2007, 1:45pm
maybe if there is going to be like a gift to someone you don't know have a rule- they have to have been a member for 60- 90 days and actually have so many posts-not just sign up and then come back on day 29 to start saying I cannot afford- whats a green- what are premies and so forth- - - I just say be smart and use your logic - there are too many con artists out there these days and there are many here on this board...

Think about it this way look at the posts too of the the people who need to go green or cannot afford- they could of sold or traded a gc win to someone who has paypal and that person pay for 3 months for them so that is no longer an excuse-

Just be cautious...be aware like when you are walking in a dark parking lot- watch out for the lurkers who make fast moves

bumbeeboo
July 2nd, 2007, 3:00pm
OLS could have a rule stating they can only receive a gift subscription once, or twice a year. That is if they do not win it in the MOC. Other than that if they mooch off of someone more than once that should be a red flag.

bigskwinner
July 2nd, 2007, 7:14pm
i often give a random person a 3 month subscription
no reason why, other then to pay it forward and no reason as to why i picked that particular person (other then the fact that they did not appear green at the bottom of the forum list)

I think its 'to each their own' and know there are some people who will never be able to financially give subs, as well no one forces anyone to do something via internet...its a decision to click that button that the giver makes

lucky77
July 2nd, 2007, 7:59pm
I got to say if I wasn't gifted . I would not have been here as long as I have. I was ready to give it up long ago .I just don't win that much but . I am very grateful for the gift. It kept me going. It gets us newbies hooked. Anyway I have never solicited to get it, it just happens. I really appreciate it and consider it one of my biggest wins. sorry to here that peoples gracious gifts are a problem for ols but it gives you business. I asm a kind person and I give for a living and i don't make much so I am not taking advantage and I always would be thankful .

SillyLilly
July 2nd, 2007, 8:40pm
i often give a random person a 3 month subscription
no reason why, other then to pay it forward and no reason as to why i picked that particular person (other then the fact that they did not appear green at the bottom of the forum list)

I think its 'to each their own' and know there are some people who will never be able to financially give subs, as well no one forces anyone to do something via internet...its a decision to click that button that the giver makes

I do this occasionally, too. I hope I haven't given one to a scammer who runs off and tells everyone what dupes we are. But if it happens, nothing you can do. Can't let that possibility stop me from giving to someone whose day might be brightened by it.

What usually happens tho, is that they don't even seem to notice they're green. I give anonymously, so I can hardly PM them to make sure they know. :laugh:

BEARHUGS65
July 8th, 2007, 5:51pm
bumping just to remind other beware- people may not be who they seem-----

SillyLilly
July 8th, 2007, 5:56pm
bumping just to remind other beware- people may not be who they seem-----

:yesyes: I just saw one get gifted green this morning after starting 2 or 3 naive whining type threads. Wondered about that one!

BEARHUGS65
July 8th, 2007, 6:02pm
:yesyes: I just saw one get gifted green this morning after starting 2 or 3 naive whining type threads. Wondered about that one!
look closer this person did it last weekend too and finally reeled some in....BEWARE people--could not find any mod on last night night...they all showed offline -

coljim
July 8th, 2007, 6:07pm
What usually happens tho, is that they don't even seem to notice they're green. I give anonymously, so I can hardly PM them to make sure they know. :laugh:
I feel your pain lol. This has happened to me, and one I did not do anonymously didn't even say thanks. I'm not a very good "picker" apparently.

germangirl
July 9th, 2007, 3:43am
I do this occasionally, too. I hope I haven't given one to a scammer who runs off and tells everyone what dupes we are. But if it happens, nothing you can do. Can't let that possibility stop me from giving to someone whose day might be brightened by it.

Maybe those who receive a gifted subscription should receive a PM from a mod informing them of their new green status.

HYDEIST
July 9th, 2007, 4:21am
Meanwhile a few of us who paid our own way and work for a living are still waiting for our payments to post.
I'm a legitimate member whose green expired last week. I sent my money order in June and I'm still waiting to be re-greened. Meanwhile someone acts pathetic and PRESTO! instant green. I guess it pays to be a bum. :mad3:

feelinlucky
July 9th, 2007, 4:58am
look closer this person did it last weekend too and finally reeled some in....BEWARE people--could not find any mod on last night night...they all showed offline -
Yup! I can't not believe they were back at it again! :eek:

polsky41
July 9th, 2007, 5:20am

How is that possible, I tried to sign up for more than a year, said only 1 year? Has it changed?

kbsocial
July 9th, 2007, 8:29am
How is that possible, I tried to sign up for more than a year, said only 1 year? Has it changed?

You can buy back to back memberships.

And for those of you that see scams/begging out there - use the report feature as soon as you see someone that looks like they are begging for a membership and let the mods take care of it - thank ya:)

deborah62
July 9th, 2007, 8:39am
I can't believe how transparent some are about it,nothing subtle about them then others are subtle but i can spot them a mile away.Its a shame others fall for it.When membership first started I couldn't afford it then I won a gift card and traded it for a membership.I do think if you gift someone they should have to be here say 3 months first or have so many post.I saw one whos very first post was fishing for a membership and it worked :eek:

SillyLilly
July 9th, 2007, 10:28am
Maybe those who receive a gifted subscription should receive a PM from a mod informing them of their new green status.

I was just gifted a membership on another site, and I got an automated email saying thanks for your subscription. Then when I went to the site, there was an automatically-generated generic PM welcoming me and telling me who gifted me. Glad I got a message, because I probably wouldn't have noticed being premium on that board. It would be really nice if something like that could be set up here since there's so much gifting going on.

jolee62
July 9th, 2007, 11:05am
Very well said!!! :cheer3:

DebMarGal
July 9th, 2007, 3:20pm
I think its great that our members gift others, especially newbies, but you might want to verify a couple of facts first. A recent member was just gifted a premium membership and it came out afterwards that she is only 17. I don't think there are that many premium sweeps for 17 yrd olds, so that gift, although generous, might have been wasted.

TrinaWants2Win
July 12th, 2007, 5:59pm
I gifted two people this week but i just got notice my gifts have been refunded? :(

debi6393
July 12th, 2007, 6:13pm
I gifted two people this week but i just got notice my gifts have been refunded? :(

Strange, wonder what that means ??

SillyLilly
July 12th, 2007, 6:16pm

Wow, first I've heard of that. Were they banned?

jennem
July 18th, 2007, 10:22am
I've tried to gift 2 people for over 2 weeks now, with memberships that I won by adding sweeps. And so far, nothing. Anyone know exactly how far behind Brent is in applying these? The recipients are getting restless.

shereepaul
July 18th, 2007, 5:39pm
Agreed here too!

jennem
July 27th, 2007, 3:37pm
Now over a month! What is going on?

feelinlucky
August 13th, 2007, 1:14am
:jawdrop:

RockysJewel
August 13th, 2007, 1:28am
Thanks for that re-post. WE were JUSt having a discussion about this same thing and peopele were all bent out of shape becasue we question them !!!

:jawdrop:

we3luvdisney
August 13th, 2007, 9:32pm
I've gifted a few people over the years.

When I gift I may post a question and read the replies or I'll see who is on the site that is not green and read their profile and previous posts.

jthoward
August 13th, 2007, 10:56pm
ya know i was reading all the posts here and i have to say that wow alot of people out here who con others, its hard to say anything cause i just do not know why people wanna do that to others , i was gifted when i first started on this board and think i thanked the person 10 times over and over i was so surprised that there was people here so nice but now people are here conning others and that makes it bad on the honest ones , i juts wanna say thank you to the ones who are trying to be nice and gift others , and for that gifting soon i will repay my guft by another gift to someone cause out of me being guifted i won a nice prize sold it and was able to buy me 1 year subscription so here is a big thank you too al the ones who have tried to be nice and gift people and to the ones who are getting ripped off hugs :grouphug:

OOps i guess i oughta ask if this was said ok and not sound snippity LOL hugs BTW I Love OLS !!!!!! :thumbs:

fastfreddie1959
August 26th, 2007, 11:02pm
And my premium runs out in a couple of wks--does it make difference if i send
someone else the money and they can use there pay-pal acct ?
Its not a gift subscripition--cause im paying for it--just not using my own paypal acct
because i closed it.
Any opinions on this ???

Miki
August 26th, 2007, 11:16pm
Its not a gift subscripition--cause im paying for it--just not using my own paypal acct
because i closed it.
Any opinions on this ???

My own personal opinion, I don't think it should matter at all. :gvibes:

OKgirl
August 26th, 2007, 11:40pm
fastfreddie1959...if you need any help just pm me, I don't mind helping.

goldylox
August 27th, 2007, 5:29am
because i closed it.
Any opinions on this ???

fastfreddie1959

A friend of mine doesn't use paypal so she sent me her money. I used my paypal account and treated it like a gift subscription for her. Worked perfectly.

Goldylox

fastfreddie1959
August 27th, 2007, 5:40am
fastfreddie1959

A friend of mine doesn't use paypal so she sent me her money. I used my paypal account and treated it like a gift subscription for her. Worked perfectly.

Goldylox

Am gonna have my daughter do it for me -as me and paypal are in a dispute.
Thank you for the info.

SeaofSapphires
August 27th, 2007, 5:56am
Am gonna have my daughter do it for me -as me and paypal are in a dispute.
Thank you for the info.

FastFreddie,

I think you need to check again. You're paid up for the next year! :heart:

Now you don't have to mess with it through your daughter! :cheer3:

goldylox
August 27th, 2007, 6:15am
FastFreddie,

That was so sweet of you SeaofSapphires and you couldn't have picked a more deserving person. :cheer:

BEARHUGS65
August 27th, 2007, 9:03am
That was so sweet of you SeaofSapphires and you couldn't have picked a more deserving person. :cheer:
I agree freddie is awesome and freddy I knpw what you are dealing with paypal is becoming a hassle

debi6393
August 27th, 2007, 9:23am
FastFreddie,

Dang girl, you beat me to it - LOL

Thanks for being so sweet

fastfreddie1959
August 27th, 2007, 11:32am
FastFreddie,

Your kindness perceives you :highfive:

SeaofSapphires
August 27th, 2007, 6:01pm
Your kindness perceives you :highfive:

Your welcome! I couldn't have found a better person to gift.

It is my honor and I hope you win LOTS this coming year!

You are such an important part of OLS and we are lucky

to have you here!!!

:hugs:

deborah62
August 27th, 2007, 6:10pm
SeaofSaph is awesome!! :cheer3: FF is awesome!! :cheer6:

jazzyblue21
August 27th, 2007, 6:23pm
comes through again. What a great group!

sweepluvr
August 27th, 2007, 6:33pm
I posted here last night about how great this site is etc.. And how I was blessed by coming a member on here etc.. And now it is gone?? I know my post wasn't bad so what happened???

alyssasmommy07
August 27th, 2007, 6:38pm
I like the idea of having a contest to win a gift subscription seems fair to me

barbs
August 27th, 2007, 9:17pm
because i closed it.
Any opinions on this ???

Good idea! I usually send my renewal check at least a month early - the next time I'll ask a friend if she'll do the paypal thing for me. (Not sure if I'll renew as I don't seem to win back the cost of membership - I'll have to think about it.)

Glad you mentioned this freddie! :smile9:

RockysJewel
August 27th, 2007, 9:30pm
YAY someone good and kind and WORHTY to be a recipient of your kindness SOS!!

You ROCK girl !

Your welcome! I couldn't have found a better person to gift.

It is my honor and I hope you win LOTS this coming year!

You are such an important part of OLS and we are lucky

to have you here!!!

:hugs:

fastfreddie1959
August 27th, 2007, 10:53pm
I help in the puter forums for personal reasons-not because i have any expectations.
I will continue to help as much as i am able to do so for anyone whether i like them or not.
I look forward to no rewards other then friendship.
Im grateful for the gifts that i do receive.
But please believe that no-one is obligated to give me anything.
I totatly enjoy 100% helping out when i can. :eyebrow:
Im not always right-but im not always wrong either :smile9:

Miki
August 27th, 2007, 11:21pm
I posted here last night about how great this site is etc.. And how I was blessed by coming a member on here etc.. And now it is gone?? I know my post wasn't bad so what happened???

Did you post anything about wanting to be green or anything like that? If you did...that is why the pulled it.

Welcome to OLS!

SeaofSapphires
August 28th, 2007, 12:16am
I help in the puter forums for personal reasons-not because i have any expectations.
I will continue to help as much as i am able to do so for anyone whether i like them or not.

Point taken. You also did not ask for it nor did you hint about it.

But I want to make myself clear about my gift giving :heart: ...

I do it for myself as much as I do it for others because I feel it
strengthens my soul and brings positivity into my life.

You have never helped me with a computer problem so I was
not paying you back in any way. My hubby is a computer tech.
so he helps me out on that stuff.

I just wanted to surprise a nice guy and hopefully make his day.

That is all!

:lendhand:

goldylox
August 28th, 2007, 12:25am

And that is exactly why you are so deserving Fastfreddy1959. You sincerely like to help people and you never expect anything in return. You are a true Gem. Hard to find this day and age. May many wins come your way.

Goldylox

Miki
August 28th, 2007, 1:34am
Point taken. You also did not ask for it nor did you hint about it.

But I want to make myself clear about my gift giving :heart: ...

I do it for myself as much as I do it for others because I feel it
strengthens my soul and brings positivity into my life.

You have never helped me with a computer problem so I was
not paying you back in any way. My hubby is a computer tech.
so he helps me out on that stuff.

I just wanted to surprise a nice guy and hopefully make his day.

That is all!

:lendhand:

You are such a sweetheart, I hope many wonderful wins comes your way. :heart:

sweepluvr
August 28th, 2007, 5:03pm
Did you post anything about wanting to be green or anything like that? If you did...that is why the pulled it.

Welcome to OLS!

That I was blessed twice being green first time I was gifted and the second time I won a contest here on this forum. And I did say that my membership is running out next week and this time I am going to try to buy my own membership but that was it. I didn't say anymore other then I love this site etc.

mrsmaxsmart
August 28th, 2007, 5:19pm
That I was blessed twice being green first time I was gifted and the second time I won a contest here on this forum. And I did say that my membership is running out next week and this time I am going to try to buy my own membership but that was it. I didn't say anymore other then I love this site etc.
I don't know why it was pulled. I sure wish when they pulled something they would PM you and tell you why. That way we could learn from our mistakes.

SillyLilly
August 28th, 2007, 5:21pm

Oh, I remember seeing your post. It wasn't asking for anything at all, just expressing gratitude. I think a mod made a mistake, maybe they were in a hurry. :gvibes:

Psyche34
October 14th, 2007, 8:15pm
I don't have time just this minute to read this whole thread and figure out what the problem is with "gift" subscriptions, so I'll ask this quick and hope someone can give me a quick answer. I am still pretty new here. Anyway, I bought my mother a subscription with my Paypal account, as she does not have one. Is that a problem or something?

ETA: Thanks Starbucks for the answer below. Good luck to you in sweeps!

StarbucksAddict
October 14th, 2007, 8:18pm
I don't have time just this minute to read this whole thread and figure out what the problem is with "gift" subscriptions, so I'll ask this quick and hope someone can give me a quick answer. I am still pretty new here. Anyway, I bought my mother a subscription with my Paypal account, as she does not have one. Is that a problem or something?

Absolutely not, that is just fine. :) Gift subscriptions are not a problem - people who either subtly (or not-so-subtly) beg for someone to buy them premium memberships are not. Any post that can possibly be construed as begging or hinting for a membership will be deleted.

ORANJKAAT
January 12th, 2008, 5:36pm
sounds very fair...... its really not that expensive to begin with, and you can easily win back your investment.